PDA

View Full Version : CBD v. BLM / FWS: NRA Moves to Intervene in AZ Lead Ammo Case

CDMichel
11-03-2009, 2:00 PM
NRA Moves to Protect Hunters From Arizona Lawsuit Threatening Lead Ammunition Ban

Phoenix, Az. - As part of NRA’s continuing efforts to protect hunters from special interest groups seeking to eliminate the use of ammunition containing lead projectiles, attorneys for NRA filed paperwork in the United States District Court in Arizona on October 14, 2009 asking the Court to allow NRA to intervene and join in the lawsuit Center for Biological Diversity v. United States Bureau of Land Management et al (3:09-cv-08011-PCT-PGR). The court could rule on NRA’s intervention request within weeks.

The lawsuit, filed January 27, 2009 by the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD), alleges that the U.S. Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (BLM, FWS) are illegally mismanaging federal lands in Arizona because those agencies failed to consider the potential impact on local wildlife resulting from authorizing activities like off-road vehicle use and allowing livestock grazing. CBD’s lawsuit also claims that California condors in Arizona are becoming ill or dying as a result of eating lead in scavenged game shot by hunters using lead shot or bullets, and that BLM and FWS are violating the Endangered Species Act by allowing hunters to use of lead shot and bullets while hunting.

NRA has been at the forefront of debunking the so-called “science” behind the theory that lead bullets are responsible for condor illness. NRA most recently worked with experts, researchers, and attorneys in California to defeat proposed state hunting regulations based on the unproven condor/lead bullets link. That success was based in large part on meticulous scientific reports prepared by experts working with NRA that exposed the deficiencies in the science, showing the theoretical link to be rooted in “psuedo-science,” as one California Fish and Game Commissioner described it.

Because of NRA’s previous experience and expertise with this issue in other states, and because there is no guarantee that either BLM or FWS will vigorously challenge the unproven assertions CBD is making about lead-based ammunition, NRA is seeking to intervene in CBD’s lawsuit to protect its members’ interests.

NRA is especially interested in defending against CBD’s lawsuit because California condors were introduced to Arizona based in large part on express promises by FWS, among others, that the reintroduction of condors would not be allowed to impact hunting.

A copy of the Motion to Intervene, CBD’s Opposition, and NRA’s Reply Brief is posted at www.calgunlaws.com. More documents will be posted as they become available.

bwiese
11-03-2009, 2:02 PM
Thanks, Chuck.

Folks, this is your NRA dollars at work - stopping the spread of FUD from California.

Southwest Chuck
11-03-2009, 8:34 PM
Go get 'em !!! :17::90::30::52::63::32::

Untamed1972
11-04-2009, 10:25 AM
So you mean even people in free states have these problems? Guess those free-staters need to lay off with the "Move out of that commie state" line all the time. It can even happen to them if they're not on top of it. The environmentalists will be the death of this country.

Environmentalism = Inability to engage in rational thought.

xxdabroxx
11-04-2009, 12:49 PM
And they act like our laws our not their problem in other states. HA, take that California haters, join our fight.

Get 'em boys!

Spodeley
11-04-2009, 2:47 PM
I blogged it for the Gunbloggers.

NeuTag
11-05-2009, 9:52 PM
Thanks, Chuck.

Folks, this is your NRA dollars at work - stopping the spread of FUD from California.

My thanks too, Chuck. Its the rational thinking, effective lobbying, and effective courtroom activities that got me to become a life member of the NRA in 1994. I saw the NRA start entering the law schools in the late 80's in various ways....It has paid off.

sastark
11-20-2009, 3:10 PM
Scientific American article on lead ammo ban in Arizona:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=fight-to-protect-california-condors-2009-11-20

zcrehan
11-20-2009, 3:43 PM
Disgusting article.

IGOTDIRT4U
11-20-2009, 3:45 PM
And to think I used to subscribe to that mag.

dustoff31
11-20-2009, 5:33 PM
So you mean even people in free states have these problems? Guess those free-staters need to lay off with the "Move out of that commie state" line all the time. It can even happen to them if they're not on top of it. The environmentalists will be the death of this country.

Environmentalism = Inability to engage in rational thought.

We are on top of it. You will note that the enviro-nazis are sueing the Feds.

The state refused to take any action on lead bans and so forth. Over 250 people showed up for the AZ Game and Fish hearing and it was dropped like a hot rock.

But I am somewhat concerned as the feds are much more likely to cave in to the whackos than state officials are.

Shotgun Man
11-20-2009, 5:40 PM
I would think the Obama Administration would seek to disallow intervention. It will be interesting to see what their position is.

How relevant is the defendant's input on a motion to intervene?

easy
11-20-2009, 6:07 PM
For those who don't understand the CBD, they are a bunch of granola lawyers. They sue the government not to help the endangered species but to line their own pockets.

The 4wd community in CA has been strangled by the tards for years now. They have won many court cases on very minor technicalities.

Out of all the million$, yes million$, they have won they have not contributed or donated a single penny to any cause associated with their stated reasoning for going to court.

Just money grubbers sucking the government dry. It's your money!

bridgeport
11-21-2009, 6:42 AM
Oh boy, Those Condors just keep flying farther and farther. Next thing you know, the whole western US will be "Condor territory".

Casey
11-21-2009, 8:05 AM
The same cause and effect science that gave us global warming...uhh I mean climate change , proves condors are on the verge of extinction because they are eating lead bullets with their dinner. Now I know it's irrational thinking machine gun loving Republicans and the children poisoning NRA members that are responsible for all that condor killing lead.

I used to think banning lead ammo might be just another backdoor 2nd amendment restriction since there has never been a provable direct connection between lead ammo and condors going extinct. Thanks for the heads up SciAm!