PDA

View Full Version : Shipping OLL into state...

Isaiah4Autumn
11-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Talked to a gunstore and asked if a rifle (daniel defense) could be shipped into the state disassembled w/out a bullet button installed and he said no...wondering if this is correct information? Thanks

joemama
11-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Daniel Defense isnt on the banned list. If its got a bullet button and a 10 round magazine its completely legal. Sounds like the guy didn't know what he was talking about.

heres a link to the aw flowchart its full of handy info.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Darklyte27
11-03-2009, 11:06 AM
what "gunstore" is this?.

I had a wasr 10 *ak* shipped to my FFL with pistol grip detached therefore its in a legal config. I attached my mag lock and put the pistol grip back on and its done.

Jicko
11-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Talked to a gunstore and asked if a rifle (daniel defense) could be shipped into the state disassembled w/out a bullet button installed and he said no...wondering if this is correct information? Thanks

Altho, most believed that the above configuration IS indeed legal, there weren't any CA-DOJ directives or prior court-cases to support it.

Therefore, many FFLs will choose to "not" deal with it, and it is very understandable.

Your chance will be much better if you send that rifle to a third party to be "CA-ized" (eg CWS) or to use one of the store who will "CA-ize" it for you (eg. rainierarms.com)... or get from a CA store(eg, riflegear.com).

Isaiah4Autumn
11-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Daniel Defense isnt on the banned list. If its got a bullet button and a 10 round magazine its completely legal. Sounds like the guy didn't know what he was talking about.

Thanks for the link i've read it quite a bit...I know it's not illegal

what "gunstore" is this?.

To be honest I'd rather not say until I can work out the details? Any suggestions of friendly shops for out of state transfers would be most helpful

Altho, most believed that the above configuration IS indeed legal, there weren't any CA-DOJ directives or prior court-cases to support it.

Therefore, many FFLs will choose to "not" deal with it, and it is very understandable.

Your chance will be much better if you send that rifle to a third party to be "CA-ized" (eg CWS) or to use one of the store who will "CA-ize" it for you (eg. rainierarms.com)... or get from a CA store(eg, riflegear.com).

This sounds like a great suggestion but I want a specific bullet button installed...how would you recomend me going about this? thanks

Cokebottle
11-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Just a bare lower? No question as to the legality, as it is completely "featureless".
A complete, assembled featureless rifle can also be received without a BB, and a completed non-featureless rifle can be received with a BB.

Until the "features" are attached, the OLL is legal.

An OLL shipped in the same box with the rest of the parts that would constitute a non-featureless build? It's legal, but I can see an FFL being reluctant to handle it... he would probably be reluctant to handle any OLL transactions.

welchy
11-03-2009, 5:36 PM
Check this thread. It should help you find an FFL that understands OLL.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=63050

sirnonz
11-03-2009, 6:42 PM
find another FFL, there is nothing wrong with the way it's being shipped.

someR1
11-03-2009, 6:43 PM
many FFL dealers do not like OLL or AWs, regardless of bullet buttons. You just have to call around and find dealers that are "off list friendly"

Jicko
11-03-2009, 7:08 PM
This sounds like a great suggestion but I want a specific bullet button installed...how would you recomend me going about this? thanks

Get the DD rifle from rainier arms or rifle gear. Send them YOUR specific bullet button, they will install it for you.

Isaiah4Autumn
11-04-2009, 7:38 AM
find another FFL, there is nothing wrong with the way it's being shipped.

yeah that's what I'm going to do...checked out that link posted with FFL's and their costs...mine wanted $75 bucks + DROS+ tax

Get the DD rifle from rainier arms or rifle gear. Send them YOUR specific bullet button, they will install it for you.

Thanks for you help Jicko Im sure rainier arms/rifle gear are great companies but I don't think they can compete with what I'm getting for the cost...but I'll keep them in mind for accessories

Cokebottle
11-04-2009, 8:16 AM
yeah that's what I'm going to do...checked out that link posted with FFL's and their costs...mine wanted $75 bucks + DROS+ tax
Ouch. That's not as bad as it gets. The chain store near you gets $125 + $35 DROS + tax.... and I'm not too sure how OLL-friendly they are, though they sell Bushmaster top-loaders.

Speaking of which, I'm heading out to Berdoo today... I've got a hair up my butt to head over to CWS in Highland and check out their inventory... still debating whether to build my own AK or just buy one since the cost is close for some of the OTC units.

sirnonz
11-04-2009, 5:40 PM
wow they are charging a lot, iirc irvington arms charges 100 bucks dros included.