PDA

View Full Version : Keep Vortex FH or put on DNTC compensator

high_revs
11-03-2009, 9:28 AM
I have this DNTC compensator that's been sitting for a while without a upper to mount on. It was recommended I don't put it on a bull barrel (my 20" build back then) and my carbine had a permanent FH installed to have 16" barrel length.

I now have an 16" and 18" mid-length uppers. Both have Vortex FH (non permanent installed). Will the compensator make that performance difference? I tried to find some tutorials on how to put a compensator and only clear video I saw was from Brownells that used a special tool.

Also, the Brownell's video mentions indexing. I thought this was as simple as unscrew, then screw on and maybe torque at most. But it seems indexing is a 'smith term I need to be aware of? Or is this really just for gunsmiths type work.

P.S. Not sure if this belonged here or in gunsmith section.

pacrimguru
11-03-2009, 9:31 AM
indexing only means to have the comp or f/h turned to the correct orientation. like you'd want the comp's holes to be pointing up and to the sides, not all diagonal or upside down.

if you're using a crush washer it's as simple as turning it until it is orientated correctly. if you are using peel washers it's peeling off layers and screwing it on and off until you get it to where its supposed to be. am i any making sense here?

and to answer your question, i'd throw the comp on your 18" barrel. sure it should make a difference, especially when shooting at longer ranges.

mltrading
11-03-2009, 4:36 PM
(1) The Smith Enterprise Vortex does not need indexing. Just screw it on. It will get tighter automatically whenever you shoot.

(2) The other muzzle devices that need indexing would take you some time and efforts to make it right. It's not the rocket science. All you need is a set of barrel vise with a good steady bench vise and a wrench in proper size. Just be patient to rotate the muzzle device to align the top center of your barrel.

By the way, according to my personal experiences, the noise with Vortex is smoother than those with standard A2 bird cages.

high_revs
11-03-2009, 6:22 PM
hmm.. ok. i guess i'll need some additional tools as i don't have a barrel vise. wasn't even sure if this was metric or english size (if i was to use a box wrench). but the brownell video i saws, used a tool where you attach it to what seem like a socket wrench (maybe for torquing?).

i wasn't sure if this could be handled by bare hands but I guess not the best idea to use the hand guards as a brace. more tools needed! was going to one day build a complete upper from parts anyway in the future. so i guess these tools would be used more than once.

norcal-ar
11-03-2009, 7:35 PM
havent tried mine yet but saturday i went down to irvington and bought a dntc and had them take off the vortex and put the dntc on.

Jonathan Doe
11-03-2009, 7:45 PM
I prefer Vortex flash suppressor over a muzzle brake/compensator on AR rifles.

high_revs
11-03-2009, 11:42 PM
havent tried mine yet but saturday i went down to irvington and bought a dntc and had them take off the vortex and put the dntc on.

tell me what you think. how much did the guys charge ya for the dntc install? i just want to try it anyway. been sitting on my office desk for maybe 1.5 years now.

I remember when I brought my Yugo AK in to see if they can straighten the canted sights, Ian said "give it to me and don't look." LOL Still canted though.

I prefer Vortex flash suppressor over a muzzle brake/compensator on AR rifles.
well, just to try. not sure i'll get a bolt action in .223 to put that on as the wish list wants a .308 first. :) what a thought! i need to buy a 223 bolt action rifle so i can use a muzzle brake. LOL

B Strong
11-04-2009, 6:09 AM
My vote is to leave on the Vortex.

My favorite FH.

norcal-ar
11-09-2009, 6:39 PM
since i bought it there i think it was only a couple of bucks to install. i paid $103 out the door tax,comp, install.

Sgt Raven
11-13-2009, 6:47 PM
My vote is to leave on the Vortex.

My favorite FH.

Which is fine unless you want a featureless build. I prefer brakes so I can use any upper on any lower. ;)

ar15barrels
11-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Which is fine unless you want a featureless build. I prefer brakes so I can use any upper on any lower. ;)

Features, smeatures.
I got RAWs baby... :D