PDA

View Full Version : .22LR conversion vs Dedicated .22LR upper

chaled
11-03-2009, 7:57 AM
If I choose to get the .22 conversion kit for my AR can I expect semi accurate performace, good enough for plinking? Also, will this affect my ability to shoot .223 accurately when i switch back?

I'd like to hear of some positive or negative experiences with the conversion kits.

Thanks.

Purple K
11-03-2009, 9:07 AM
Expect less than steller accuracy and excessive fouling.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
11-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Less than stellar accuracy, perhaps, depending on barrel length and rifling twist. My Ciener conversion, installed in a 16" 1:9 upper, gets about 4-5 MOA with Federal Bulk, good enough for plinking, CQB or combat skills maintenance. It gets a little better with Remington Golden Bullets or CCI Mini-Mags, but not enough to justify the extra cost. A 1:12 (M16A1, for example) barrel would probably do better and still allow switching back to 5.56 at the cost of 5.56 accuracy with bullets heavier than 55 grains. I have no direct experience with .22 conversions in 1:7 barrels, but the overwhelming majority of comments I've seen on this forum and elsewhere indicate that that it tends to be disappointing.

Excessive fouling, maybe and maybe not. I originally believed that firing .22LR in a 5.56 upper would cause fouling/clogged gas tubes, requiring periodic gas tube cleaning or firing 5.56 rounds to clear the gas tube. Not the case with my dedicated rifle: After firing 1500 rounds of Federal Bulk .22LR, I reinstalled the 5.56 bolt carrier group without cleaning the barrel/chamber and the weapon fired flawlessly. Please note that this is not recommended procedure with any conversion. YMMV.

till44
11-03-2009, 12:16 PM
I use a .22 CMMG kit in a Stag upper and it has been great for plinking and cheap CQB training. I get about 4 MOA with federal bulk packs. The kit has had zero problems and has eaten everythiing I have given it. The conversion kit rarely leaves the Stag upper as I have other rifles I keep for 5.56.

the fouling has been minimal. Shoot a few rounds of .223 or 5.56 at the end of a range session and it should clean it out just fine.

chaled
11-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Thank you all for the info. I think i'll save the money and get the .22 upper eventually.