PDA

View Full Version : So, J. Brown is only Dem left in CA Gub race?!?

IGOTDIRT4U
11-03-2009, 7:53 AM
From what I have heard in the past 72 hours, he is it. And it looks like he is being handily out-fundraised by the two leading Rep candidates, Whitman and Poisner.

And yet his poll numbers seem to be holding up. Interesting times. Does the lack of another Dem challenger to the two possible Rep candidates change who you might vote for?

Internal poll attached.

wildhawker
11-03-2009, 7:57 AM
My vote remains with Brown.

stag1500
11-03-2009, 9:48 AM
Brown is clearly the better choice when it comes to gun rights.

FS00008
11-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Moonbeam has my vote.

SJgunguy24
11-03-2009, 10:45 AM
No I think Brown is not trying to play stupid games by putting something in front of his name that doesn't belong there. Like Whitman, Cambell, and Poisner.

Mitch
11-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Shouldn't Tom Campbell be in your poll?

choprzrul
11-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Ok, moved to CA 5 1/2 years ago and I am not very familiar with CA political history. Can someone fill me in with several bullet points for/against Brown, Whitman, and Poizner? I want the good, the bad, and the ugly and why you would/wouldn't vote for them.

SJgunguy24
11-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Ok, moved to CA 5 1/2 years ago and I am not very familiar with CA political history. Can someone fill me in with several bullet points for/against Brown, Whitman, and Poizner? I want the good, the bad, and the ugly and why you would/wouldn't vote for them.

Brown has stated on the record he believes the second amendment is an individuals right.
Ever try to openly sell gun parts on E bay? Thank Whitman for that, oh and she openly endorses Poloski.
I've haven't heard anything about Poizner's second stance.

Super Spy
11-03-2009, 11:27 AM
It's seems like Brown is the only real choice if you care about gun rights...yet for some reason I'm still scared...maybe it's the last Dem that got voted into office....the big oval office that is.

POLICESTATE
11-03-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't understand how the republican party can accept Whitman as a member when she is so pro-Pelosi EXCEPT when you think that both parties are really working together, like Coke & Pepsi to keep their duopoly on power.

I'm voting for Brown, the only 2A supporter I've seen so far.

Two Shots
11-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Not a good canidate for Calif gun owners and people who think Illegals should not sponge off the tax payers.

Whitman said she supports abortion rights - including public funding for abortions - and believes tough gun laws like assault weapon bans and handgun control are appropriate for California.

Asked if she would favor cutting benefits such as welfare or health care to illegal immigrants, Whitman said that although border enforcement is important she would not support such cuts, because "whether they're legal or illegal (immigrants), those benefits go to children ... and we have to protect the children."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/12/MNCU15SUDJ.DTL#ixzz0VpHvqSV8

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/12/MNCU15SUDJ.DTL

Sgt Raven
11-03-2009, 11:39 AM
I'll vote for a pro 2A D over some wishy-washy R. I'm a 2 issue voter, Gun rights first and money (taxes-spending) second.

POLICESTATE
11-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Asked if she would favor cutting benefits such as welfare or health care to illegal immigrants, Whitman said that although border enforcement is important she would not support such cuts, because "whether they're legal or illegal (immigrants), those benefits go to children ... and we have to protect the children."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/12/MNCU15SUDJ.DTL#ixzz0VpHvqSV8

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/12/MNCU15SUDJ.DTL

OMG, she's a bed-wetting liberal. Seriously the republicans have to get their crap together, they're not falling apart, they're literally allowing themselves to be usurped. Idiots. Maybe the time for the Libertarian Party to gain some real traction is coming soon.

I sure hope so.

bigstick61
11-03-2009, 11:48 AM
After talking to people who experienced Brown's last Administration, I really have no desire to vote for him. Our State is already bad enough without someone like him in office. Whitman is just terrible. I think her switching to the GOP is just a case of opportunism now that she has an interest in politics. Poizner has some good positions, but on gun rights I know next to nothing about him. Campbell also has some good positions, but on gun rights he is mediocre at best, which is not much different than now. He sounds like someone who could potentially be persuaded, though.

M1A Rifleman
11-03-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't know who Poisner is, but I will vote for Brown before I'd vote for either Whitman or Campbell. I will no longer vote for Rhino Republicans.

M1A Rifleman
11-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Brown has stated on the record he believes the second amendment is an individuals right.

Careful here. His intention may be that he believes you have the right to a flintlock only, just like the Founders had.

POLICESTATE
11-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Careful here. His intention may be that he believes you have the right to a flintlock only, just like the Founders had.

Yeah to the libs who like to try and say that I always say "everyone had flintlocks, so for us to be completely true to the founders' intent everyone should have nuclear weapons :43:"

SgtDinosaur
11-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Ah, jeez, it looks like I'll have to vote for Jerry. That will be a first. Man this state is messed up politically. Actually I think he was kind of entertaining the last time around, what with Linda Ronstadt and all.

Foulball
11-03-2009, 11:59 AM
I will no longer vote for Rhino Republicans.

This is it in a nutshell. We have a Rino currently as our governor and look what it has gotten us. Lower Taxes? Nope. Balanced budget? Nope. 2A support? Nope.

I'll go with the Dem and pray for the best. :TFH:

Quemtimebo
11-03-2009, 12:01 PM

More effective than the sticks and stones Whitman would leave us with! And prettier too.

M1A Rifleman
11-03-2009, 12:07 PM
More effective than the sticks and stones Whitman would leave us with! And prettier too.

:43: Agree, maybe the Republicans are listening Nation wide and will finally get the backlash - probably not, which is why I'm outa their camp.

With a Democrat, you basically know the enemy to the 2A. With a Rhino it is an unkown and is dangerous - such as with the recent AB962 issue.

Quemtimebo
11-03-2009, 12:17 PM
There! I have you-- you are completely dished: Do you not know that in the service one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?

:p

zchen
11-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Brown due to pro-2A and fiscal conservatism

choprzrul
11-03-2009, 12:27 PM
My own question prompted me to actively research several CA gov candidates. This lady comes the closest to aligning with my principles and priorities: http://nightingaleforgovernor.com/index.htm On her "Your Rights" link http://nightingaleforgovernor.com/pages/yourrights.htm, the following definition is listed:

"To bear arms. Bear: to carry, possess, transport. Arms: anything used in battle or to best another."

Interesting. She also seems to be very pro veteran which I like.

Is it time to start electing statesmen (or women in this case) rather than politicians?

MKfan
11-03-2009, 6:16 PM
other

bigstick61
11-03-2009, 6:24 PM
That's probably what it will be for me, too. I wonder who the Constitutiona nd Libertarian party candidates will be.

bg
11-03-2009, 6:25 PM
lets me careful...I've a feelin' Foulstein is getting antsy for Ca's quasi
sunshine.

bwiese
11-03-2009, 6:53 PM
lets me careful...I've a feelin' Foulstein is getting antsy for Ca's quasi sunshine.

Nope. She has a nice comfy Senate seat, no real work, lotsa 'status'.

She wouldn't wanna demote herself to day to day executive grunt work.

Rumors about she's "not all there", either - right now she can be in a protected cocoon, and appear on NBC for 5 minutes on her good days.

Timberline
11-03-2009, 6:58 PM
Vote is for Brown... if he ever declares and runs for the office.:D

Poizner would not be a bad Governor, but I want to see some action out of Sacramento - this deadlocked legislature has been miserable for our State, in nearly every regard. The nimrod Republicans have held us hostage to their failed philosophy for too long.

Jerry's stance on RKBA is a sweet bonus.

Doheny
11-03-2009, 7:00 PM
After talking to people who experienced Brown's last Administration....

You know that was over 30 years ago, right? You don't think he's matured both personally and politically?

bwiese
11-03-2009, 7:11 PM
Originally Posted by bigstick61 http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3308549#post3308549)

After talking to people who experienced Brown's last Administration...

I lived thru it too. The aura seemed to have little to do with JB, and seemed to be far more with Jimmah Carter's national "malaise".

7x57
11-03-2009, 7:27 PM
There! I have you-- you are completely dished: Do you not know that in the service one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?

:thumbsup:

Am I the only one who recognizes the quote?

7x57

Doheny
11-03-2009, 7:33 PM
:thumbsup:

Am I the only one who recognizes the quote?

7x57

Master and Commander...when they're having dinner...

KylaGWolf
11-03-2009, 7:47 PM
Someone asked about Cambell he is very anti gun if you read the other thread that discussed his views on gun related law. He was FOR the ammo bun he is FOR large magazine bans and he is FOR the AWB. In other words he is a sucky republican choice. I refuse to vote for Witman I don't care if she is a republican or not due to the fact she is anti 2A and she is for giving illegals aid but yet legal citizens have to fight tooth and nail to get help when they need it. As for her stance on abortion as a woman I don't think any lawmaker has the right to tell me if I should have to carry a baby if I don't want to. Even though I would never just abort a baby because I got pregnant but I still think there is a place for it if the mother chooses to do so.

As for Poisner I don't know enough about him to vote one way or the other. But if I do remember correctly he used to be state insurance commissioner and made some comments about handguns in that office but I could be wrong so don't quote me on it.

My feelings on Brown are mixed. I remember his first time around as our Governor and not sure if he is going to do any better this time then he did the last time. That being said he is about our best chance of getting 2A here in CA. Although that still hinges if we get enough pro 2A state senate and state reps to make a difference. Which means all the idiots that voted for AB 962 have to go starting with DeLeon. But that is a whole different fight all together.

Now if Tom McClintok was running I would more than likely vote for him but since he can do our state better service at the Federal level I don't see that happening so for now I will have to say Jerry Brown will get my vote.

VW*Mike
11-03-2009, 8:11 PM
IMO Brown is better for us, and the state. Its really no contest. The "Republicans" will fight it out and look silly. Bloomberg had tons of money, and he is only winning by a little. Money isn't the be all end all of a political campaign.

FortCourageArmory
11-03-2009, 8:45 PM
Brown is our best bet is you want a governor that believes in the 2nd Amendment. Just read his amicus brief in the Nordyke case if you have any doubts. I lived through his first go round as governor. He's 30 years older and leaps and bounds wiser since then.

Mikeb
11-03-2009, 9:22 PM
It is still Newsome and Harris that I worry about. These are two folk I would like to see permanently unemployed.
Mike

VW*Mike
11-03-2009, 9:36 PM
^^^^^^^ Newsom dropped out last week, thankfully I can sleep a little better. He is too big of a whack job, even for California. The poor citizens of S.F. still get to deal with him though.

The Wingnut
11-03-2009, 9:50 PM
I can't believe I'm going to vote Democrat, and for Jerry Brown, no less.

It's a sad state of affairs when the only remotely truly conservative candidate is coming from the left side of the aisle!

bigstick61
11-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Brown? Truly conservative? I have seen no evidence of this at all. I really doubt he made such a radical 180. That said I agree the GOP is not running conservative candidates; they seem to rarely do so in any state.

Bruce
11-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Brown is better than the RINO's. We have to get rid of the people who are there now.
The incumbants got us into this mess, now we have to get them out.

joelberg
11-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Where's the option for NOTA?

greasemonkey
11-04-2009, 7:23 AM
I know after looking up Meg that it makes me throw up in my mouth a little every 5 minutes when her stupid commercials air on the evil conservative radio programs, talking about ebay experience validating her ability to sit as governator. She's a worse rino than the current turd burglar.

IGOTDIRT4U
11-04-2009, 7:23 AM
You know that was over 30 years ago, right? You don't think he's matured both personally and politically?

Doheny! We finally agree!

JB has done per the old proverb; If you are not a liberal when you are young you have no heart, if you are not a (classical) conservative when you are old you have no brain.

Going back and reading some of JB's old trials and tribulations, he actually was not far from the mark where he is today, he just was out of step. Seriously, read and reflect on his thoughts from the past. For instance, the California satellite he wanted to orbit above CA for communication purposes. How handy would that have been for NYC if they had that vision and implemented it prior to 9-11? What was one of the hugest failures during the moments immediately after the Twin Towers strikes? Communications!

Anyhow, thanks for contributions to the poll, all.

As to the post about Campbell, at this point, he is not a strong contender and lacks heavy money pockets. I did not include him because he is most likely not going to generate the funds to stay in the top three in this dog and pony show.

IGOTDIRT4U
11-04-2009, 7:25 AM
Where's the option for NOTA?

NOTA is not part of this post's subject. make your own thread if you want to discuss no-shot-in-hell candidates.

oddjob
11-04-2009, 8:07 AM
take a look.........

http://www.jerrybrown.org/25

Mitch
11-04-2009, 8:30 AM
take a look.........

http://www.jerrybrown.org/25

"13. Iíve been duck hunting with Chief Justice Warren, but not with Vice President Cheney."

Thank goodness for that.

7x57
11-04-2009, 8:53 AM
"13. Iíve been duck hunting with Chief Justice Warren, but not with Vice President Cheney."

Thank goodness for that.

21. I own a colt 38, given to me by my father.

7x57

greasemonkey
11-04-2009, 9:59 AM
While I do realize he seems to be constitutionally sound and much more so than Whitman or Poisner, remember to be careful, he's still a politician. Plenty of anti's have admittedly owned firearms, held CCW's and have been hunting. They typically enjoy the liberty very much and believe that you and I aren't capable of and shouldn't be allowed to do so.

I'm not saying it's the case here and there are plenty of examples available of Brown being reasonable on the 2nd Amendment, just throwing it out there that we need to watch him just like we would any other politician.

That said, Brown has my support.

gef
11-04-2009, 11:05 AM
It's still Brown, the others are just not.

OlderThanDirt
11-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Long ago, the saying was "If its Brown, flush it." However, in this case the real turds are Poisner and Whitman.

greasemonkey
11-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Long ago, the saying was "If its Brown, flush it." However, in this case the real turds are Poisner and Whitman.

Unfortunately I'm not very excited about the guy but you're right about Poisner and Whitman.

A few others have touched on this throughout the thread but the next election of our local state reps is going to be very, very important! Pay attention to your district's candidates!

FeuerFrei
11-04-2009, 4:20 PM
Voting for one of these losers is like playing Russian roulette with 3 rounds loaded.
Whoever gets in there we still have a pack of 2 party clowns that run the circus their way.
Governor can veto or sign law. This job means nothing in our beloved California as things stand now.

chuckles48
11-04-2009, 5:57 PM
IMO Brown is better for us, and the state. Its really no contest. The "Republicans" will fight it out and look silly. Bloomberg had tons of money, and he is only winning by a little. Money isn't the be all end all of a political campaign.

As John Corzine just demonstrated, painfully.

That being said, I remain skeptical of a politician who, in his last election (in 2006) racked up an NRA "F" who is supposedly our last, best hope.

scc1909
11-05-2009, 1:57 AM
Interesting thread. I had not seriously considered voting for Brown, but I'm strongly turned off by the GOP candidates. Sooooooo, I guess it's JB by default.

joelberg
11-05-2009, 2:53 AM
NOTA is not part of this post's subject. make your own thread if you want to discuss no-shot-in-hell candidates.
We're in CA. JB is going to win no matter who we all vote for. So you might as well send a message with it.

That's my opinion at least. I'm sick of the two party system we're stuck in.

Dr. Peter Venkman
11-05-2009, 4:48 AM
Governor can veto or sign law. This job means nothing in our beloved California as things stand now.

I don't know about that one. Stopping a lot of bull**** from being passed seems pretty important.

greasemonkey
11-05-2009, 7:30 AM
Have the LEO unions endorsed anyone yet?

7x57
11-05-2009, 7:35 AM
Master and Commander...when they're having dinner...

Sigh. I believe it's from Far Side Of The World (but memory may betray me in such a long series). It's certainly from far later in the series than Master and Commander, but I should have known that people would answer from the movie (which I seem to recall was based on multiple books, but more from Far Side Of The World than anything else).

Since I didn't specify, the movie is a winning answer. ;)

7x57

ssilverado60
11-05-2009, 10:21 AM

that outlook is why the better candidates have no shot.

hasnt anyone figured out that the "lesser of two evils" method doesnt work yet . . .

MikeR
11-05-2009, 11:14 PM
WTF! Im waiting for the theme music "You have entered the Twilight Zone"

How many people in this thread got "flew shots"?? :p

stag1500
11-06-2009, 4:36 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet or not, but it looks like Diane Feinstein is considering a run for CA Gov in 2010 now that Newsom has dropped out. Here is the article: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/the-line/the-friday-primary-line-game-o.html?wprss=thefix.

We really need to back Jerry Brown in this contest!

bwiese
11-06-2009, 4:58 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet or not, but it looks like Diane Feinstein is considering a run for CA Gov in 2010 now that Newsom has dropped out. Here is the article: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/the-line/the-friday-primary-line-game-o.html?wprss=thefix.

We really need to back Jerry Brown in this contest!

Di Fi won't take it.

Why would she wanna take a step down from an easy pampered job?

Dirtbozz
11-12-2009, 3:36 PM
Just watched Glenn Beck. Apparently Jerry Brown has a predetermined outcome for the Acorn investigation in California. It's on You Tube. Glenn is on again at 11:00 tonight. Worth watching. Are you sure you want to support Jerry Brown just because he (supposedly) supports incorporation?

bigstick61
11-12-2009, 3:44 PM
Voting for Brown is not worth it IMO. We need someone who is more likely to not contribute to the further degradation of this State and the further erosion of our rights in virtually every other area. I really don't think we can trust Brown to be that person. Even if he somehow helps us on RKBA (which I think is not assured in any way, especially given our legislature), it's not worth losing everything else. Unless we get Whitman, I don't think the GOP candidates would do anything worse than maintain the status quo on the RKBA, while quite possibly making a difference in other areas which are of vital importance right now.

bwiese
11-12-2009, 3:58 PM
watching. Are you sure you want to support Jerry Brown just because he (supposedly) supports incorporation?

Why would I listen to Glenn Beck when I have more far direct info on JB's
stance on guns?

I don't give a crap about anything else, GUN RIGHTS FIRST.

Python2
11-12-2009, 4:41 PM
I don't give a crap about anything else, GUN RIGHTS FIRST.

I am with you 100%, no if and but:)

wash
11-12-2009, 5:32 PM
Third party candidate people need to realize something in CA, democrats will get a huge chunk of the vote no matter who they are running against. To beat a democrat a republican has to get all of the republican vote and pretty much all of the undecided.

Republicans only seem to win after we've had a disaster of a democrat incumbent or the democratic challengers are really bad choices.

Deciding who to vote for isn't about who's going to win. It looks like Brown is a shoe in. The only thing we can do is send a message.

If you want the republican party to keep giving us RINO candidates, vote for a republican.

If you want to say I'm a one issue gun rights voter, vote for Brown.

If you want the democrats to think your vote is irrelevant, go ahead and vote for a third party candidate.

It's pretty simple.

Codelphious
11-12-2009, 5:56 PM
It's truly depressing when people choose to vote for someone they know is corrupt, just because they claim to support a given position. Jerry Brown's ONE AND ONLY redeeming quality is his promise to support gun rights.

My question is, why do you believe him?

He's a die-hard politician. He will do and say anything to get elected; to gain power, and to increase said power.

When are you people going to wake up?

Texas looks better every day. At some point you've got to draw a line in the sand and say "F it. I'm out."

bwiese
11-12-2009, 5:57 PM
It's truly depressing when people choose to vote for someone they know is corrupt, just because they claim to support a given position. Jerry Brown's ONE AND ONLY redeeming quality is his promise to support gun rights.

I don't have to. I've seen the actions.

bulgron
11-12-2009, 6:05 PM

Interesting.

You do know, don't you, that all the Republican candidates are also corrupt politicians who will say anything to win election. The difference is that Brown supports gun rights, and those other politicians do not.

So lets do the math, shall we?

Brown: Corrupt politician (-1)
Republican candidates: Corrupt politicians (-1)
Brown: Supports gun rights (+1)
Republican candidates: Do not support gun rights (-1)

Brown: -1 + +1 = 0.
Republican candidates: -1 + -1 = -2

0 > -2

Brown > Republican candidates

I'm voting for Brown.

I know this advanced math is hard for some people, but there you have it.

Mstrty
11-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Hold on guys hold on..... Brown submits a letter to SCOTUS that states he feels the second should be incorporated to the states and you guys are all ready to crawl in bed the guy? I'm still out on which team this guy is playing for? Harry Reid (NV) voted for federal CCW reciprocity knowing it would never pass just to will the hearts of a few unknowing voters. I will make every attempt get all the facts before I give my nod to anyone. 1 letter to SCOTUS doesn't make you Gods gift to California RKBA.

Codelphious
11-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Interesting.

You do know, don't you, that all the Republican candidates are also corrupt politicians who will say anything to win election. The difference is that Brown supports gun rights, and those other politicians do not.

So lets do the math, shall we?

Brown: Corrupt politician (-1)
Republican candidates: Corrupt politicians (-1)
Brown: Supports gun rights (+1)
Republican candidates: Do not support gun rights (-1)

Brown: -1 + +1 = 0.
Republican candidates: -1 + -1 = -2

0 > -2

Brown > Republican candidates

I'm voting for Brown.

I know this advanced math is hard for some people, but there you have it.

Why must it be a zero-sum game? The lesser of two evils?

Voting for the lesser of two evils only emboldens the evil!

And yes, I'd be hard pressed to find a California politician that wasn't corrupt - republican or democrat. I would love the opportunity to vote for someone that wasn't a career "politician." Someone whose only special interest is the preservation of liberty. +1 if they aren't affiliated with any political party.

7x57
11-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Hold on guys hold on..... Brown submits a letter to SCOTUS that states he feels the second should be incorporated to the states and you guys are all ready to crawl in bed the guy? I'm still out on which team this guy is playing for? Harry Reid (NV) voted for federal CCW reciprocity knowing it would never pass just to will the hearts of a few unknowing voters.

This is not fair to Harry Reid. I happen to loathe him as a politician, and would happily impeach him over the health care takeover, but he didn't get his NRA A rating for one vote. He also voted against the original Clinton AW ban. I think he's for real on guns, and if you go look at what state he represents you'll probably figure out why.

I will make every attempt get all the facts before I give my nod to anyone. 1 letter to SCOTUS doesn't make you Gods gift to California RKBA.

This just comes up over and over. JB has done a lot more than one letter, and the evidence is much more extensive than you know. Take it from someone who also dislikes JB and very likely will not vote for him based on an assortment of other issues--JB is the most pro-gun candidate in the race. I've checked this with more than one source.

I have every reason to minimize his attractiveness as a candidate, but those are the facts. For the single-issue gun-rights voter (which I am not), he is the best candidate. There is simply no doubt about this.

7x57

berto
11-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Hold on guys hold on..... Brown submits a letter to SCOTUS that states he feels the second should be incorporated to the states and you guys are all ready to crawl in bed the guy? I'm still out on which team this guy is playing for? Harry Reid (NV) voted for federal CCW reciprocity knowing it would never pass just to will the hearts of a few unknowing voters. I will make every attempt get all the facts before I give my nod to anyone. 1 letter to SCOTUS doesn't make you Gods gift to California RKBA.

What have Whitman, Poizner, and Campbell done for RKBA? We know eBay's stance under Whitman's leadership. We have Campbell's voting record from his time in the House and statements he or somebody from his campaign made here. Poizner has no record and is campaigning on statements that consign him to getting ~40% of the general election vote.

Meanwhile JB stepped up to the plate.

Do we reward actual action even if it means doing something previously unthinkable or do we continue to be taken advantage of by a party that's been all talk and little action for at least a generation?

Mstrty
11-13-2009, 12:48 AM
What have Whitman, Poizner, and Campbell done for RKBA? We know eBay's stance under Whitman's leadership. We have Campbell's voting record from his time in the House and statements he or somebody from his campaign made here. Poizner has no record and is campaigning on statements that consign him to getting ~40% of the general election vote.

Meanwhile JB stepped up to the plate.

Do we reward actual action even if it means doing something previously unthinkable or do we continue to be taken advantage of by a party that's been all talk and little action for at least a generation?

We are all assuming this is all we get 2010. JB or Meg. I applaud JB for his stance on guns I'm just not a 1 position voter. I want my cake and Ill eat it too! My decision is moonbeams away from being decided. Lets see who jumps in.

bulgron
11-13-2009, 1:12 AM
Why must it be a zero-sum game? The lesser of two evils?

Voting for the lesser of two evils only emboldens the evil!

Because this is California, and it is a zero-sum game and it is all about the lesser of two evils. Simple as that.

Not much that can be done about it except to see the state go broke, then break it up into two or three new states, then do everything possible to keep the snakes and varmints out of the new state governments.

berto
11-13-2009, 12:00 PM
We are all assuming this is all we get 2010. JB or Meg. I applaud JB for his stance on guns I'm just not a 1 position voter. I want my cake and Ill eat it too! My decision is moonbeams away from being decided. Lets see who jumps in.

No problem with waiting to decide but I think the field is set. The dems could offer up any number of candidates who aren't our friends. The republican bench is empty of experienced candidates with any kind of name recognition which leaves us waiting on some wealthy unknown to emerge late in the game.

Glock22Fan
11-13-2009, 12:16 PM
No problem with waiting to decide but I think the field is set. The dems could offer up any number of candidates who aren't our friends. The republican bench is empty of experienced candidates with any kind of name recognition which leaves us waiting on some wealthy unknown to emerge late in the game.

I think anyone who has listened to traffic news on the radio more than once will recognize the name "Meg Whitman." And her ads are well written to appeal to many - even if I think that she's a typical "promise them everything no matter how impossible it will be to fulfill" newbie politician. However, I agree on her lack of experience, but does the average punter realize that? After all, they've voted for some pretty inexperienced people in the past..

Foulball
11-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Brown is my choice because I am a single issue voter. No matter who gets in, the economy will still suck and the legislature will still suck and the budget still won't get fixed. The governor who is elected won't be able to do much about any of those things, BUT they will have an influence on RKBA.

berto
11-13-2009, 12:34 PM
I think anyone who has listened to traffic news on the radio more than once will recognize the name "Meg Whitman." And her ads are well written to appeal to many - even if I think that she's a typical "promise them everything no matter how impossible it will be to fulfill" newbie politician. However, I agree on her lack of experience, but does the average punter realize that? After all, they've voted for some pretty inexperienced people in the past..

The masses don't care and they keep buying promises and voting for style over substance. Soundbite politics at its worst. It's part of the reason we're in the hole we're in.

Dirtbozz
11-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Brown is my choice because I am a single issue voter. No matter who gets in, the economy will still suck and the legislature will still suck and the budget still won't get fixed. The governor who is elected won't be able to do much about any of those things, BUT they will have an influence on RKBA.

The single issue voter mind set is one of the reasons this state is in such poor condition. If California moves any further to the left, our gun rights will be the least of our worries.

Our current RINO is bad enough. If we end up will a pure liberal, the state will finish circling the bowl and flush down the drain for good.

Foulball
11-13-2009, 1:04 PM
The single issue voter mind set is one of the reasons this state is in such poor condition. If California moves any further to the left, our gun rights will be the least of our worries.

Our current RINO is bad enough. If we end up will a pure liberal, the state will finish circling the bowl and flush down the drain for good.

I'm gonna call you on this BS for a very simple reason. If a candidate doesn't respect our 2A rights, what good is their support for our other rights? In case you haven't noticed, CA has been a far left state for quite a while now. None of the Republican candidates are going to change that.

Voting in another Republican governor is just going to continue the mess we are already in. The best chance we have for getting the state on any kind of road to recovery is to get a fiscally conservative Dem in there to clamp down on things. Brown is the best candidate at this time for that to happen. I bolded that on the off chance that the Republicans can get an actual good candidate to run.

bulgron
11-13-2009, 1:27 PM

I, for one, welcome the flushing of this state down the toilet. If it completely collapses, maybe then Californians will finally figure out that they can't keep letting the political parties pick their representatives for them.

Anyway, what's the very worse that can happen if California does go completely bankrupt? We get busted up into two or three different new states and we get to try again?

Sgt Raven
11-13-2009, 2:44 PM

You can say a lot of things about JB, but when he was Governor last time he was thrifty. He used a Plymouth Satellite from the state vehicle pool instead of riding around in a Limo. He lived in a Apartment in downtown Sacramento instead of the Governor's Mansion.

JB is more a liberal leaning Libertarian that a modern Liberal/Progressive.

Dirtbozz
11-13-2009, 3:27 PM
JB is more a liberal leaning Libertarian that a modern Liberal/Progressive.

We can only hope (if in fact he is elected).

If you look back at my "rise from the ashes" post of a few weeks ago, I also stated that it could be a good thing for this state to fail. I was referring to financial failure. That could possibly stop the tax, borrow and spend attitude that prevails in Sacramento. In this post I was referring to the swamp of liberalism that sucks in and takes away our freedoms.

If we end up with the wrong person as Governor, it could be our FREEDOMS that will be lost (including our gun rights).

If J. Brown is your guy, then go for it. Just be ready to take the consequences.

stag1500
11-13-2009, 4:02 PM
There's no way in hell California is going to elect another Republican governor in 2010. Not after the damage Arnold's done. The pendulum is going to swing to the other side. Fortunately, gun rights aren't going to suffer this time around.