PDA

View Full Version : What type of sight are you running on your rifle and why?

fliparch
11-03-2009, 6:49 AM
I have an LWRCi M6A2 with a Leupold Mark IV/MRT 1.5-5x. It took me awhile to figure out what I wanted but most importantly what I needed and here's why I ended up with my decision.

My rifle will be mostly used at the range from 25yrds up to 300yrds. I could use my rifle as HD but I'm in a place where I don't have any yards and no room is longer than 7-10yrds (I'm dead shot with my XD at that range). I have no plan to clear rooms or use my rifle for CQB as stated above and I'm not an LEO. I am not entering any 3gun competition (not yet) and if I did, I could always slap a Mark Burkett offset mount with a Docter later. I could use my setup for hunting and if SHTF (Zombies)...I don't want them critters coming any closer than 100yrds from me, so the Leupy fits that bill too (I'll be pickin' them off).

Well...these are the reasons why I chose my setup (to each his own). Let's hear what you have and why you chose your sight? Peace out!
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/jcsantiago1/LWRCM6A2033.jpg

reidnez
11-03-2009, 6:52 AM
Aimpoint Comp ML4. It's indestructible, takes AA batteries (which last ages in it) and there is nothing faster to acquire.

I wouldn't mind an ACOG, though. I do see your rationale for magnified optics; my AR is not really a home defense or 3-gun weapon, either.

SIGscout
11-03-2009, 7:00 AM
I'm going to be replacing my EOTEC 512 with an Trijcon or ACOG, not really sure. I'm not 100% happy with the eotec, in cetrain lighting levels its hard to see the holographic. works great in low light (dawn/dusk) but I need a day time, easy acquisition and such.

Purple K
11-03-2009, 7:05 AM
I'm using a Samson flip-up front sight with a KNS crosshair post, an Arms 40L-P flip up rear and an Eotech 552. Hunting, plinking, etc.

pennys dad
11-03-2009, 8:24 AM
Low profile gas block LMT A2 front, LMT cut down A2 rear aimpoint middle. target and plinking

sspen003
11-03-2009, 8:43 AM
ACOG because its an ACOG. I can hit out 500 yard and then hit a target ten feet infront of me. Best of both worlds

corpsedub
11-03-2009, 9:06 AM
i have a cheap little bushnell trophy red dot on my saiga. works perfect for fast target aquisition. shoot with both eyes open and moving. it's perfect for that rifle since for me it's a closer range fighting weapon(50-100 yards)

11-03-2009, 9:14 AM
Well...these are the reasons why I chose my setup (to each his own). Let's hear what you have and why you chose your sight? Peace out!

Like you, I have an IOR CQB on my tac 6.5 Grendel, which is for all engagement from a few feet to 5-600 yard range.

The rest has its own specific type of optic for special purpose.

Long range = Mildot scope
Short range = Red dot

ChrisO
11-03-2009, 9:22 AM
Im running Irons A standard A2 FSP and a MBUS on the rear I like iron sites I have fun using them and it's what I can afford right now. When Money permits I will be getting a Aimpoint Micro T-1.

pacrimguru
11-03-2009, 9:38 AM
i have a few set-ups, but my favorite is the Aimpoint T-1. i enjoy shooting at closer ranges (25-100yds.) and have been working on BSA drills, so i have found that a small, light weight red dot is the most efficient for that purpose. a big bonus is the battery life is insanely long.

mls343
11-03-2009, 10:22 AM
I use good old standard iron sights. Works well for 100 yards - which is where I do most of my shooting (or less). Battery life is phonominal and I never have to clean my lens.

However, for my 14.5 system, I am considering a Aimpoint Comp M4. I think this would work well for this length in a CQB situation. For the standard 16 inch configuration, good old iron will do the trick.

For me, KISS is the way to go as I use them mostly for general plinking and backpacking. Nothig too fancy and if I have to go long, I'll go 7.62x51. :)

skkeeter
11-03-2009, 10:30 AM
I've got some of everything on AR's. I've got an Aimpoint, Leupold 1-5x, 2 Eotech, and 2 Acog's. I keep grabbing my LMT piston rifle with the XPS-2 for some reason when I want to shoot. I've shot my XPS out to 350y with minute of man accuracy. Anything over that and I use a bolt rifle.

johnrunner89
11-03-2009, 10:33 AM
I use good old standard iron sights. Works well for 100 yards - which is where I do most of my shooting (or less). Battery life is phonominal and I never have to clean my lens.

For the standard 16 inch configuration, good old iron will do the trick.

For me, KISS is the way to go as I use them mostly for general plinking and backpacking. Nothig too fancy and if I have to go long, I'll go 7.62x51. :)

+1!

Californio
11-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Iron for my CPDW (Civilian Personal Defense Weapon), it works fine out to 300 yards and Kiss doesn't break. Defense is the key word not going on the offensive.

Bug Splat
11-03-2009, 11:03 AM
DMS-1

fits my needs for both close and long ranges and the illuminated ret is awesome for low light shooting. Works with or with out batteries.

SMGLee
11-03-2009, 11:49 AM
ACOG because its an ACOG. I can hit out 500 yard and then hit a target ten feet infront of me. Best of both worlds

Why is ACOG an ACOG? By all means, ACOG are great scopes, but it is not an end all and be all optic. no matter how fast you think you might be with an ACOG, you will still be slower at CQB distance to some trained shooter with an red dot.

red dot has its advantage from muzzle to about 100m, once pass that distance, the magnified optic begin to pick up, but that is when you slam over the magnifier to enhance the red dot..

nothing can be the best of both world...!

I do however enjoy the latest 1-4x Accu-point using a green reticle by Trijicon, it is a great alternative to the ultra expensive S&B Short dot. decent to good glass, only dislike is the post, I just can't get over that post reticle. I would be happy if they made a unit with the green Chevron and a ACOG style BDC. it still have the eye relief problem with a magnified optic, and more parallax problem than a red dot, but I find it to be a better General Purpose optic than the said ACOG. Red dot portion is bright enough to utilize in day light and when turn to 1x you can literally use it like a red dot and more adaptable than an ACOG with the BAC. at 4x, its clarity is on par with any ACOG and pretty equal to the Elcan Specter DR, but not as nice as the S&B. it is nice to have a variable power option.

dieselpower
11-03-2009, 4:58 PM
EOTech 512, great for a range plinker, eats batteries, easy to use, fast targeting. can use the outer 65moa circle to estimate range to target. Sitting on my gage right now.

C-More ATAC, tough site, built to high standards, built-in BUIS, batteries are the size of a pencil eraser, but I still get long use out of them. very fast, faster then the EOTech. This is my "go to optic" for SHTF, this is on my primary.

4x32 IR Leapers something or other. I hit the side of a barn therefore it does what I need it to do. I can hit a 12" plate at 400. Held zero for 2 years now. Was on my SKS.

sholling
11-03-2009, 5:14 PM
I needed more than one choice. I have an EOTech 557 on my 5.56 AR15 and interchange a 512 and Burris XTR1-4-24 in a LaRue mount on my 6.8 SPC.

bombadillo
11-03-2009, 5:20 PM
I've got some of everything on AR's. I've got an Aimpoint, Leupold 1-5x, 2 Eotech, and 2 Acog's. I keep grabbing my LMT piston rifle with the XPS-2 for some reason when I want to shoot. I've shot my XPS out to 350y with minute of man accuracy. Anything over that and I use a bolt rifle.

Wish I had your collection by all means, but got just got an EOtech, have a 6-24x44 cheapo scope on a rifle, Carry handle with A2 FSB on one, but i'm changing a couple out. I'm going to put the scope on the 20", and looking for a lower powered scope for my 18" JP. I'm not sure what to do so it looks like accupoint, Leupold 1-5, Millet DMS-1, and a leupold Mark AR is in the mix too. I want a lower powered scope but if I drop more than 500 on it, I'm just going to save up for an ACOG after shooting yours. Oh, I meant to ask you too, what leupold was that the other day, I really liked the reticle on that thing.

NRAhighpowershooter
11-03-2009, 5:35 PM

same here.... EoTechs, regular old iron GI sights, Match Gi sights, top of the line Warner sights, variable powered varmint scopes.....

tomd1584
11-03-2009, 6:21 PM
i run an Aimpoint H-1. because I dont need NV and i saved a few bucks instead of the T-1!

Super lightweight combined with the DD mount. Dont need to change my battery for another few years. Cant beat that.

818gtiguy
11-03-2009, 6:30 PM
I used to run Eotechs..Now I am running Aimpoints on my two AR`s...A ML2/LaRue on my BCM middy and a H-1/LaRue on my BCM carbine...Because the battery almost lasts forever, they are VERY durable,and almost no POI shift when removed and remounted.

xm177
11-03-2009, 6:30 PM
Been favoring the Eotech lately for its large field of view and quick target acquisition. Downside are the batteries. If I could affort a ACOG, I would use it above everything else.

sspen003
11-03-2009, 7:14 PM
Why is ACOG an ACOG? By all means, ACOG are great scopes, but it is not an end all and be all optic. no matter how fast you think you might be with an ACOG, you will still be slower at CQB distance to some trained shooter with an red dot.

red dot has its advantage from muzzle to about 100m, once pass that distance, the magnified optic begin to pick up, but that is when you slam over the magnifier to enhance the red dot..

nothing can be the best of both world...!

I do however enjoy the latest 1-4x Accu-point using a green reticle by Trijicon, it is a great alternative to the ultra expensive S&B Short dot. decent to good glass, only dislike is the post, I just can't get over that post reticle. I would be happy if they made a unit with the green Chevron and a ACOG style BDC. it still have the eye relief problem with a magnified optic, and more parallax problem than a red dot, but I find it to be a better General Purpose optic than the said ACOG. Red dot portion is bright enough to utilize in day light and when turn to 1x you can literally use it like a red dot and more adaptable than an ACOG with the BAC. at 4x, its clarity is on par with any ACOG and pretty equal to the Elcan Specter DR, but not as nice as the S&B. it is nice to have a variable power option.

If practiced with, an ACOG can be used effectively for CQB when both eyes are kept open. It may not be the best optic for the job when dealing with CQB, but it more than makes up for it in every other aspect of combat/plinking.

I do not think this is the end all optic and is deff not for everyone, but it suits me. The Military loves them too

Tweak338
11-03-2009, 7:18 PM
where is the option for Iron Sights?
I run a carry handle
why? I like to KISS

wkd4496
11-03-2009, 7:25 PM
I shoot Iron sites. I've tried many optics, but I do much better with irons:)

West coast
11-03-2009, 7:39 PM
Aimpoint ML2 Red Dot

fliparch
11-03-2009, 7:40 PM
I tried editing the poll to include Irons but, no go. I understand not allowing for editing but they should give us a chance to add to the selection.

SLYoteBoy
11-03-2009, 7:42 PM
Eotech 512. Shot a rifle with one on it. Liked it , now looking to other options. 1-4x (leaning towards DMS) or ACOG

Jonathan Doe
11-03-2009, 7:43 PM
All of my service rifles have only iron sights. One exception is, I have an EOTech 512 on my M-4 in addition to iron sights.

jmf_tracy
11-03-2009, 8:41 PM
running ACOG TA31DOC. cause i like to hit what i am aiming at and i don't like batteries.

Rob454
11-03-2009, 9:07 PM
My rifle will be mostly used at the range from 25yrds up to 300yrds. ]

Personally the only rifle I have scoped is my deer rifle. All my others are iron sights. Any reason you need a scope for 25-300 yard shots. Those are not long distances

fliparch
11-03-2009, 9:51 PM
Personally the only rifle I have scoped is my deer rifle. All my others are iron sights. Any reason you need a scope for 25-300 yard shots. Those are not long distances

I actually like shooting with my irons and at 100yrds., I can shoot standing and hit the 100yrd steel circular targets at Angeles without missing...but I also like to shoot paper and measure accuracy.

How accurate are you with your irons at 300yrds...heck how about 100? I'm around 1-1.5moa with scope.

Stork
11-03-2009, 11:09 PM
I've got Irons my little carbine. I am good with them and confident in my ability to hit exactly what I intend to shoot with them. I really trust iron sights and have not had a need for optics. For the shooting I do, I'm too good with irons to justify the money. I will probably look into a 1-4 scope for my AR when I get back from Afghanistan late next year. They seem to fit my needs and I'd like to join the cool crowd and see just how cool they really are.

I like the RCO on my issued rifle, but I'm not in love with it either.

I have my trusty Savage 30-06 for any distance work, and that thing wears a cheap 3-9. Can't beat a cheap setup that shoots 5/8in 5 shot groups from the factory with the crap stock and light barrel.

Uriah02
11-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Leupold Mark IV 3.5-10x on my Rem 700 5R, I think I'll move it to my medium range rifle when I get it and get a higher zoom one. I want to shoot 800-1000yds with my 5R.

big al
11-04-2009, 6:40 AM
MI irons and bushnell T reticle. works for my kind of shooting:cool2:

Darklyte27
11-04-2009, 7:20 AM
I shot expert with Irons
When I shoot my carbine, I usually take off the eotech

If I really want to get precise i switch over to my longer range rifles that have a super sniper or vortex crossfire.

rrr70
11-04-2009, 7:26 AM
Vortex Strikefire on Saiga 7.62.

Full Clip
11-04-2009, 7:51 AM
YHM flip irons and a T1.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/981624/AR-223Carbine.jpg

chsk9
11-04-2009, 9:46 AM
I've got Irons my little carbine. I am good with them and confident in my ability to hit exactly what I intend to shoot with them. I really trust iron sights and have not had a need for optics. For the shooting I do, I'm too good with irons to justify the money. I will probably look into a 1-4 scope for my AR when I get back from Afghanistan late next year. They seem to fit my needs and I'd like to join the cool crowd and see just how cool they really are.

I like the RCO on my issued rifle, but I'm not in love with it either.

I have my trusty Savage 30-06 for any distance work, and that thing wears a cheap 3-9. Can't beat a cheap setup that shoots 5/8in 5 shot groups from the factory with the crap stock and light barrel.

You will have great insight into what works and does not when you get back- stay safe and thank you for serving!

GuardianArmament
11-04-2009, 10:52 AM
I used the Eotech 511 and the aimpoint ML2 for one range trip and got rid of them. I was taught with iron sights and quaified expert with iron sights. Can still hit 500 yards with a 20" barrel and iron sights. As far as my bolt guns go, leupold MK IV or US Optics 10x

SMGLee
11-04-2009, 7:54 PM
If practiced with, an ACOG can be used effectively for CQB when both eyes are kept open. It may not be the best optic for the job when dealing with CQB, but it more than makes up for it in every other aspect of combat/plinking.

I do not think this is the end all optic and is deff not for everyone, but it suits me. The Military loves them too

You said it is the best of both world, so i am just wanting to know how a general purpose scope can be best of both world. I do agree it does the job very well.

I used to run a ACOG TA01, then a TA31, I have been a ACOG user since early 1990. I know what I can do with an ACOG and ACOG with the BAC. it is NOT as fast as a Red dot in CQB fighting distance, it is not as fast as the red dot anywhere under 100m.

the important thing is the scope works for you.. but it is not the best of both world statement you made earlier...

SlowArrow
11-04-2009, 9:46 PM
Best of both worlds......yeah that makes sense. I run an ACOG TA01 with an Aimpoint T-1 in front and offset to the right of the ACOG using a new LaRue mount. That way with a small twist of the wrist I'm using the Red Dot for anything in close - and if the range extends out a bit, I can straighten out and bring the ACOG into my line of sight and take advantage of the optics. It is a nice setup.

bombadillo
11-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Slow arrow, post pics of the setup, i'd like to see it.

evidens83
11-05-2009, 8:53 AM
Currently running an Eotech 512 with Troy BUIS and FSP. I love shooting just with the irons. But a good deal popped up on CG for the Eotech and couldnt pass it up. I love the sight picture and field of view of the Eotech. I pick up targets just like that! Next build I'm saving up for is an Aimpoint micro. Range pinking for now but I plan on taking classes eventually. My setup is GTG.

WeekendWarrior
11-05-2009, 9:08 AM
WWRTW

ocabj
11-05-2009, 9:16 AM
A2 National Match (pinned) with a .038" aperture and an A2 windage adjustable front sight with .052" NM tapered front sight post.

Works easily out to 600 yards. Out to a 1000 with a little more effort.

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery2/d/11423-2/IMG_8763-pp.jpg

jasonnorcal
11-05-2009, 11:22 AM
I have an eotech 512 on my middy along with an FSB and MI flip up rear. I tried out somebody's EO and had to have 1. Now I want an ACOG though for target identification at longer ranges and to ditch the batteries:D

Black Majik
11-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Assuming we're talking about semi-autos...

My semi autos all run Aimpoint M2 variants in Larue mounts. However, they're boring as beans to shoot, but the sight acquisition is quick. Great thing is, once I get bored with the aimpoint, the QD allows me to run irons. Great battery life, reliable, and SHTF/Z DAY/TEOTWAWKI/MAYAN CALENDAR 12-22-12/OMG worthy.

I might consider swapping to a 1-4x optic shortly.

SlowArrow
11-05-2009, 1:43 PM
Slow arrow, post pics of the setup, i'd like to see it.

No Problem......I just have to get home and shoot a picture of it tonight. It looked odd at first, but it is very natural to use and really gives you the best that Red Dots and ACOG have to offer.

tpliquid1
11-05-2009, 1:56 PM
Aimpoint clone and ACOG clone. Love both and looks good. I

Nodaedul
11-05-2009, 2:34 PM
ACOG TA33 series. If the world started ending I figured ACOG would be the most durable battery free best all around optic. It's really just a toy I'll never need though, just like the AR it sits on. I like seeing it sitting there when I open my safe. 

oops
11-05-2009, 2:38 PM
iron sights

johnrunner89
11-05-2009, 2:54 PM
I think Iron sights needed to be added to the poll options.

Super Spy
11-05-2009, 3:03 PM
ARMS Iron Sights....not in the poll......when the sights are the limiting factor and I've saved up more money I'll replace them. They do the trick.

jsmith8918
11-05-2009, 4:15 PM
Aimpoint ML2. Fast, parallax free, rugged, battery life.

professionalcoyotehunter
11-05-2009, 4:15 PM
Variable because it is best for hunting.

J_Rock
11-05-2009, 7:27 PM
I dont use sights on my rifle. My eyes are like eotechs cause Im like a frickin' combat ninja. SLAYING BODIES! ALL THE TIME! GOOD TO GO!

vinny_land
11-05-2009, 11:02 PM
iron sights because I cant afford optics yet.

SlowArrow
11-06-2009, 5:23 PM
Okay.....I finally got some time to gather up a few images - but I am learning how to post them on this forum - but here it goes:

http://www.darksights.com/Firearms Images/Other-Side.jpg

http://www.darksights.com/Firearms Images/Side-View.jpg

http://www.darksights.com/Firearms Images/Scope-View.jpg

five.five-six
11-06-2009, 5:26 PM
E) all of the above

fliparch
11-06-2009, 5:39 PM
Okay.....I finally got some time to gather up a few images - but I am learning how to post them on this forum - but here it goes:

http://www.darksights.com/Firearms.htm

Try again.

sevensix2x51
11-06-2009, 5:49 PM
I dont use sights on my rifle. My eyes are like eotechs cause Im like a frickin' combat ninja. SLAYING BODIES! ALL THE TIME! GOOD TO GO!

yeah wheres that radio button? thats what i do, cant see the sight anyway, since i always got my trigger thumb in my belt loop.

bombadillo
11-06-2009, 5:57 PM
Try again.

+1 go to photobucket. Its easy.

3GunFunShooter
11-06-2009, 7:33 PM
On my 3 gun set up, Burris XTR 1-4, HD rifle, Millet DMS 1-4, Tasco Red dot on my 22 LR upper. I also have 2-7 Leupold on my stock Mini 14, Simmons Diamond Pro shotgun scope 1.5-5 on my ASI Mini 14.

SlowArrow
11-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Well that picture thing was easy....I guess. I wanted to host the images on my own website rather than use one of the other image hosting sites, so I had a few extra things to figure out. The pictures are up now so take a look.

I was able to test the system out last weekend and I am very impressed.....you have all the rapid target acquisition advantages of the Red Dot when you are dealing up close and personal in the immediate neighborhood - and if you rotate things about 20 degrees, you have those sharp optics to help you to reach out and touch something a little further out. Best of both worlds and you don't pay too severe a weight penalty in the balance.

bombadillo
11-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Nice, is that one solid mount with the offset t1 or how is the micro mounted?

SlowArrow
11-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Nice, is that one solid mount with the offset t1 or how is the micro mounted?

There are separate mounts for the T-1 and the ACOG. Together they pretty much fill up the top rail of the Upper Receiver, but I can remove the T-1 and run just with the ACOG.

ChrisO
11-07-2009, 9:36 AM
Why not just get the ACOG red dot it is cheaper I believe...

fliparch
11-07-2009, 9:54 AM
There are separate mounts for the T-1 and the ACOG. Together they pretty much fill up the top rail of the Upper Receiver, but I can remove the T-1 and run just with the ACOG.

I'm not familiar with the ACOG but doesn't it have a a reticle like the T1 which means if you cowitness them...you'd have two reticles? Thanks.

SlowArrow
11-07-2009, 7:15 PM
I'm not familiar with the ACOG but doesn't it have a a reticle like the T1 which means if you cowitness them...you'd have two reticles? Thanks.

The TA01 4x32 Trijicon ACOG does have a reticle - the details of the scope and an example of the reticle are shown here:

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=139&back_row=4&categoryID=3

The Aimpoint T-1 is a non magnified Red Dot sight.....I've never heard of anyone that set these two different styles of sighting devices co-witnessed - and while I'm not even sure you could do it, I'm not sure why you would want to. The point of setting up this way is to have the ability to use either a 4X optic or a non-magnified sight seamlessly.

luckystrike
11-07-2009, 8:42 PM
I have an MBUS flip up adjustable up to 600 yards. Would like an acog but don't have the Grand for it