PDA

View Full Version : My new lever action Browning BLR 81 .308 Pistol Project

AJAX22
11-03-2009, 5:57 AM
I scored a fugly Browning BLR complete action that is crusty enough to use as a base/donor gun.... and I scored it for less than $50 shipped (because I am awesome)

So... here is the plan....

I'm going to demill the receiver to BATFE spec... then once it is no longer considered a firearm, I will cut the barrel down to roughly 1 inch past the chamber, and I will thread and attach an amd65 muzzlebreak. once the barrel work is done, I'm going to weld it back together and mark it as an AJAX ARMS pistol.

For the grip assembly I will be cutting the stock mounting bolt off, and fabricating alternate wood grips...

I will also be cutting down the forend mounting bolt and making a small hardwood forend with a nub to prevent my hand from slipping too far forward.

I haven't decided yet what to do with the lever assembly itself... I think it may be neat to alter it to a different configuration (like the old volcanic's/martini Henry style) and it may need a little work to clear the extended magazine.

which brings me to another part of the project... Extending the magazine... I have a ton of various 308 mags... and since the BLR is a double stack, there really isn't a reason why I can't cram something different into the receiver with a little mill work and a new latch assembly (I'd be using some sort of unmodified preban... probably a cetme or M14 mag).

if 4 rounds of 308 is good... twenty has to be better...

So that's my nifty new idea for a cool fireball thrower.

just thought I'd share.

:D

here are pics of the donor.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/pix51112421.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/pix51112531.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/pix51112687.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/pix51112984.jpg

AJAX22
11-03-2009, 6:17 AM
Here's a crummy mockup of what I want to do to it.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/BLR.jpg

FS00008
11-03-2009, 8:28 AM
Awesome! I would love to do that!

CmpsdNoMore
11-03-2009, 8:39 AM
I'm looking froward to seeing how this turns out. Your projects are always awesome.

QuarterBoreGunner
11-03-2009, 9:44 AM
YOU MAGNIFICENT B*STARD!

No seriously, where do you find the spare time for these awesome projects?

EDIT: So it's going to be a 3 round capacity?

a1c
11-03-2009, 9:51 AM
Bad-***.

Looks like something you could affix under a desk, in case you have some shady visitors sitting across from you.

QuarterBoreGunner
11-03-2009, 9:58 AM
Kind of like Steve McQueen's in 'WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE'

http://www.fairfieldmint.com/images/10024gw_hero.jpg

Mikeb
11-03-2009, 10:24 AM
I guess I'm not seeing exactly how you avoid the once a rifle always a rifle.

I'm going to demill the receiver to BATFE spec... then once it is no longer considered a firearm, I will cut the barrel down to roughly 1 inch past the chamber, and I will thread and attach an amd65 muzzlebreak. once the barrel work is done, I'm going to weld it back together and mark it as an AJAX ARMS pistol.

So you will cut up the receiver then weld it back together as a new receiver? So you have to anneal it and heat treat it? Wow...
I grew up with "Dead or Alive" so I've always wanted one. I had a chopped m1 carbine (about 16" long)for a couple of days in Vietnam.... my Sargent made me give it back.
good luck
Mike

kurac
11-03-2009, 11:00 AM
looks like that one came out of a fire

AJAX22
11-03-2009, 11:23 AM
I guess I'm not seeing exactly how you avoid the once a rifle always a rifle.

So you will cut up the receiver then weld it back together as a new receiver? So you have to anneal it and heat treat it? Wow...
I grew up with "Dead or Alive" so I've always wanted one. I had a chopped m1 carbine (about 16" long)for a couple of days in Vietnam.... my Sargent made me give it back.
good luck
Mike

Once the receiver has been demilled to BATFE spec, it is no longer a firearm, just some random bits of metal... then it can be made into a firearm again.

once a rifle always a rifle does not apply to things that have been cut up... (just like AK pistols on reweld receivers)

Heat treating/ annealing theoretically is not necessary because this design uses a rotary locking bolt (the receiver is not stressed, more modern versions of this gun use aluminum instead of steel), but I have access to heat treating stuff so I'll get my buddy to do it anyway.

funny you should mention the steve mcQueen Mares leg.... we were jokingly calling the project "Operation Stallions ****"

Yes it did come out of a fire... but since I have access to heat treating stuff, and I really dont care what accuratcy is like... I figured for less than $50 out the door, I was willing to put in the extra effort (or talk friends into putting in the extra effort for me)

Capacity from the factory is 4 rounds... I'm going to work on increasing that a smidgen... but still, even if I left it alone... 4 rounds of 308 in a pistol ain't bad.

As far as where I find spare time to do this stuff.... heh.. that's easy, I don't.

I've got a backlog of projects waiting for me when I come back to CA that's utterly ridiculous at this point...

The main thing to do is find all the bits and pieces at prices I can afford (broke student) so that when I finally have time and am in a free state (can't really do this in NYC) I can just slap it together.

I'm excited about this one... it will go nicly with the SBS C&R superposed I'm planning on putting together (with proper tax stamp etc.)

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/sawedoffsuperposed.jpg

gun toting monkeyboy
11-03-2009, 4:25 PM
looks like that one came out of a fire

I'll second that. I seriously doubt that the heat treatment on that gun is any good anymore. Good luck on your project though.

AJAX22
11-03-2009, 4:51 PM
So after you cut it into 3 pieces with a torch removing 1/4 inch of metal from each cut.. do you take a picture of it to document that it was destroyed or how do you document so it doesn't come back to haunt?

A witnessed and notarized Affidavit certifying destruction to BATFE spec should be more than sufficient. I may take some photo's... but I don't plan on making this pretty (not going to polish it or buff it, just make it flat) so it should be quite easy to tell.

I doubt it will be an issue, but I will cover my butt.

As far as the heat treating being ruined.... there is a chance that everything will be ok.... wood fire is notoriously cool... and unless the fire it was in raised the temp over 600 degrees and held it for 30+ hours, it is highly doubtful that it was annealed.

I've seen a surprising number of firearms that were 'unsafe' because they had been in a fire turn out ok...

I'll test to see what the hardness is, and if it needs some love I'll have it heat treated.

It should not be an issue on anything other than the bolt lugs... and I can buy a barrel/bolt if I have to.... (I'm not into this for very much)

Mikeb
11-03-2009, 4:52 PM
I'll second that. I seriously doubt that the heat treatment on that gun is any good anymore. Good luck on your project though.

I don't know about that the temper heat for 4140 is 750 degree. You would have to get it hotter than that to soften it. Was there any wood left?
Anyway by the time it is cut up and welded back it's time to start over.
This gentleman seems to have thought the project through so I say..."what the hay". I've got a win 94 and I wouldn't want to try to chop it up and weld it back together. But Like he says this is more like a rotary bolt on an AR. Barrel trunion and bolt take the pressure the rest is just to hold those pieces in place.
take care
Mike

AJAX22
11-03-2009, 4:57 PM
I don't know about that the temper heat for 4140 is 750 degree. You would have to get it hotter than that to soften it. Was there any wood left?
Anyway by the time it is cut up and welded back it's time to start over.
This gentleman seems to have thought the project through so I say..."what the hay". I've got a win 94 and I wouldn't want to try to chop it up and weld it back together. But Like he says this is more like a rotary bolt on an AR. Barrel trunion and bolt take the pressure the rest is just to hold those pieces in place.
take care
Mike

Yep... It takes a LOT to run a gun

I can probably get it to run just by tack welding a strip of metal across the receiver fragments once they are cleaned up... (I'll be doing it right though, with a mig and a copper insert)

fifty bucks man... heckuva project for fifty bucks. ;)

If I'd spent the 700 or so that these cost on it, there is no way in heck I'd cut it up... but .... fifty bucks... can't get a quality pair of boots for fifty bucks anymore...

gdun
11-03-2009, 6:06 PM
thats pretty crazy, especially if you can make it functional.

good luck

tankerman
11-03-2009, 6:12 PM
YOU MAGNIFICENT B*STARD!

No seriously, where do you find the spare time for these awesome projects?

EDIT: So it's going to be a 3 round capacity?Could get a bit higher capacity if a Savage 99 was used, which has a rotary magazine.
http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/savage99a.jpg

Fjold
11-03-2009, 6:14 PM
Making a new latch and using a detachable magazine brings up another issue doesn't it?

Isn't "Assault Weapon" defined partially as a handgun with a detachable magazine anywhere except the grip.

freakshow10mm
11-03-2009, 6:44 PM
Isn't that semi auto rule?

AJAX22
11-03-2009, 7:42 PM
Making a new latch and using a detachable magazine brings up another issue doesn't it?

Isn't "Assault Weapon" defined partially as a handgun with a detachable magazine anywhere except the grip.

Only if she's semi auto.... lever/manual guns are exempt... hence why Snorky and Mr. Wiggles are legal.

J6A-e5OFpTU

As far as using a savage 99...... I REALLY would love a takedown 99 (death hunt is one of my favorite movies) but I didn't find one of them for $50..... and if I did, I'd have to get two of them because I'd be keeping one as a rifle...

So.... BLR it is. ;)

QuarterBoreGunner
11-03-2009, 8:14 PM
I still think that 'Snorky' and 'Mr.Wiggles' are some of the best names for guns I've ever heard.

AJAX22
11-03-2009, 8:52 PM
I still think that 'Snorky' and 'Mr.Wiggles' are some of the best names for guns I've ever heard.

heh....

Yes....

"Bring me Mr. Wiggles" or "Hand me Snorky"

it does have quite a charm to it.

Rukus
11-03-2009, 9:20 PM
Where do you find these great project guns? An ugly, beater, lever pistol seems like just the sort of weirdness I would be into! Best of luck on the project.

Super Spy
11-03-2009, 9:28 PM
Cool Project! Good Luck with it. I wonder about the cut 1" past the chamber, maybe a bit longer barrel......

Fjold
11-04-2009, 7:25 AM
Only if she's semi auto.... lever/manual guns are exempt... hence why Snorky and Mr. Wiggles are legal.

;)

Well Duh! :oops:

AJAX22
11-04-2009, 7:34 AM
Where do you find these great project guns? An ugly, beater, lever pistol seems like just the sort of weirdness I would be into! Best of luck on the project.

These things are all over the place, you just have to keep your eyes open (gunbroker is a good source, so are forums.... and these tend to get bartered around a bit among guys who are into strange projects...)

The trick is finding the stuff cheap enough.