PDA

View Full Version : Shooting on private property in sonoma county?

mountainman33
11-03-2009, 1:03 AM
I am trying to find out if it is legal to discharge firearms on my family's property for training purposes. It is a very safe location and is about a quarter of a mile from the nearest residence. There is a huge dirt backstop and it is not visible from any public roads. I am just outside city limits in Cloverdale. Should I be ok? Thanks

luckystrike
11-03-2009, 1:06 AM
have you talked to all of your neighbors that are in ear-range??

alex00
11-03-2009, 4:42 AM
Go here (http://library2.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=16331&doc_action=whatsnew) for a list of Sonoma County codes. Look under Chapter 19A Article I. Just make sure you are out of the City Limits, and actually in the unincorporated county.

Spyder
11-03-2009, 6:48 AM
...and it wouldn't hurt to talk to your neighbors. Not necessarily for permission but to let them know what will be going on and let them know that you're responsible, and not going to send stray rounds towards 'em.

dantodd
11-03-2009, 6:49 AM
...and it wouldn't hurt to talk to your neighbors. Not necessarily for permission but to let them know what will be going on and let them know that you're responsible, and not going to send stray rounds towards 'em.

And be sure to invite them over.

MudCamper
11-03-2009, 7:40 AM
Here's a Sonoma County code citation:

(Ord. No. 2413.)

Sec. 19.A-5. - Restrictions on use of small arm device in safety zones.
(a) Any person who discharges any small arm device within one hundred fifty (150) yards of any building, dwelling house, camp, or other place where human beings inhabit, assemble, frequent, or pass, excepting publicly maintained roads, said one hundred fifty (150) yard area being hereby declared a "safety zone," is guilty of a misdemeanor and is punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than six (6) months or by fine not exceeding five hundred dollars ($500.00), or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section "inhabited" means currently being used for dwelling purposes, whether occupied or not.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
(i) peace officers or persons summoned by peace officers to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, or members of the armed services of the United States, the National Guard, or the state guard, or persons employed by the county, state or by the United States to destroy predatory animals, birds, or pests, while such persons are acting in the lawful discharge of their duties;
(ii) persons using a small arm device in the lawful defense of self, third parties, or livestock or other property of the user;
(iii) persons discharging or firing small arms devices or causing them to be discharged or fired at a lawfully established firing, shooting, or target range with consent of the owner and/or person in charge of any such firing, shooting or target range;
(iv) owners or employees of a lawfully established business to sell or repair small arms devices who test discharge or fire such devices into bullet traps;
(v) persons who have asked for and received in writing the consent of all owners and inhabitants of buildings, dwelling houses, camps or other places within the declared safety zone;
(vi) persons using a small arm device as a necessary tool during construction or modification of any structure pursuant to a valid building permit issued by the county of Sonoma.

More than 150 yards from buildings and you are OK. What I never knew about is (b)(v). That's cool. If you have friendly neighbors you can even shoot within 150 yards with their permission.

stormy_clothing
11-03-2009, 4:44 PM
If you were going to be shooting in one area I might construct a stall of some kind and dampen it for sound.

zinfull
11-03-2009, 8:20 PM
I shoot off cherry creek when ever I can. A friends house and the area is way in the back. Never any trouble.

jerry

P220forever
12-05-2009, 10:59 AM
I am trying to find out if it is legal to discharge firearms on my family's property for training purposes. It is a very safe location and is about a quarter of a mile from the nearest residence. There is a huge dirt backstop and it is not visible from any public roads. I am just outside city limits in Cloverdale. Should I be ok? Thanks

I don't know if it's legal but I've shot for years on my parent's 82 acre property in Bennett Valley east of Santa Rosa. Never had a problem and there's houses 1/4 mile away.

wash
12-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Try to be considerate and shoot in the middle of the day instead of morning or night.

I wouldn't ask for permission, if you are going to have a problem, you'll figure it out soon enough. Since what you are doing is legal, only an A-hole will complain and they aren't likely to give permission. If a complainer works a night shift or something, try to work with their schedule, if that's not the complaint, screw them.

wildhawker
12-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Here's a Sonoma County code citation:

More than 150 yards from buildings and you are OK. What I never knew about is (b)(v). That's cool. If you have friendly neighbors you can even shoot within 150 yards with their permission.

Nice find!

Spyder
12-05-2009, 5:09 PM
Where ya at in Sonoma County? I'll be moving there in just under a year and could use a privately owned chunk of land I could shoot on, and that I could leave my bbq at! :D

highpowermatch
12-05-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't know if it's legal but I've shot for years on my parent's 82 acre property in Bennett Valley east of Santa Rosa. Never had a problem and there's houses 1/4 mile away.

Need a new shooting buddy? :D

Spyder
12-06-2009, 5:47 AM
Haha, yea, that! :D

beenawhile
12-06-2009, 7:57 AM

Or 2?:D

woodey
12-06-2009, 8:49 AM
[/I]
I'm closer, when I here the shooting I'll stop over.:D Top of the hill right ;) Your Bennett Valley neighbor, Im also willing to visit Cloverdale :D

BigDogatPlay
12-06-2009, 9:57 AM
There was a case a couple of years ago of a guy who was firing on his property out in Forestville and got his chestnuts racked because the property was within a distance of a school.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=47149&highlight=Forestville

Be aware of your surroundings.

And any time anyone wants to throw a shoot and Q, count me in and I'll bring a grill. It's a long haul from chicken town up to Pine Flat Road and worse to Cow Mountain or Boggs.

P220forever
04-17-2010, 5:25 PM
[/I]
I'm closer, when I here the shooting I'll stop over.:D Top of the hill right ;) Your Bennett Valley neighbor, Im also willing to visit Cloverdale :D

My dad sold the property about 7 years ago and moved to Henderson, Nevada for tax purposes. Now there's 3 or 4 houses there and some horse barns. We owned that property for over 30 years. Dad got a tentative map approved for I think 8 parcels. It was a great place to grow up and I miss the old homestead dearly. I'll never forget the day I saw a 12 point buck standing no more than 100 feet away from me. Wasn't even spooked since the deer out there aren't hunted. I used to see bucks all the time right up next to the house. Grange and Perraca Roads were the boundaries of the property, basically a big square of 82 acres. Good times.
Now I go to either go to Two Rock (Circle S) or Pine Flat Rd. to shoot.

Dr.Lou
04-17-2010, 5:31 PM
Is there property in a subdivision?