PDA

View Full Version : New Adams Arms Gas Piston kit..

slagusmc
11-02-2009, 8:50 PM
Im looking to get, (Ok, Im lying, I just impulsively bought,lol) the new Adams Gas Piston kit. The new "kit" includes the new one piece bolt carrier thats suppose to eliminate cracking gas keys, and also features a beefed up rear carrier that is supposed to eliminate carrier tilt. I fired a buddys rifle with the kit last week, and it operated perfectly. Has anyone conducted any long term tests of this sytem to determine reliability? I hope it was worth the money, I ordered direct from Adams Arms for $369, and hopefully I will be able to modify my rail systems to accomodate this change without having to buy new rails or install the included plastic handguards. Price looked good for including the one piece carrier, GB prices were $400 and that was for the old system that replaced only the carrier key. Any feedback? I figure I can sell my old carrier and gas block so the kit shouldnt cost too much for what could be a really nice upgrade..

mds2004
11-02-2009, 8:58 PM
56 pages worth of reading...have fun.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=374524

trinydex
11-02-2009, 9:56 PM
if you want to guard against carrier tilt you can add the seth harness anti tilt buffer to the build. it will probably do much better than just the adams arms engineered fixes alone.

bigcalidave
11-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Eew I wont go to arfcom and read for that long. How are these working in the field? I want one when I build a shorty upper

slagusmc
11-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Well, if no one doesnt have any experience with these, Ill post my own review when I get mine in,lol.

shark92651
11-03-2009, 5:29 AM
I've got a carbine length Adams kit on one of my uppers. This was the original kit and did not include the one-piece bolt carrier - which is a nice addition in the new kits. I used to carry the Adams kits but I don't anymore due to the plethora of complete piston uppers now available and because I sort of got screwed by them. Long story short, after I bought 25 units and was promised a so-cal distributorship I then got an email from ATI saying that they were the sole distributor of the Adams Arms kits and then all orders would have to go through them (my cost per kit increased considerably). When I called to ask them about this they basically said "yeah, well that is a deal we have been working on for a long time". So basically they KNEW they were not going to honor any distributorship with me but made the promise anyway to get me to buy 25 units. Needless to say I was not happy with them after this so I sold off all my Adams Arms kits and never ordered again. Looks like the ATI sole-distributorship idea didn't go over so well as they are now selling direct from their website...

Anyway, my personal kit works fine and with the addition of the one-piece carrier it is now a much better deal. It should perform fine for you. My issue with Adams Arms is with the way they treated me as a dealer and has nothing to do with the quality of the product. I still have some of their Sampson rails that are modified to work with their piston kit if you want to add a rail to it.
http://riflegear.com/p-483-adams-armssampson-free-float-railed-forearm.aspx

mds2004
11-03-2009, 8:34 AM
I've got a carbine length Adams kit on one of my uppers. This was the original kit and did not include the one-piece bolt carrier - which is a nice addition in the new kits. I used to carry the Adams kits but I don't anymore due to the plethora of complete piston uppers now available and because I sort of got screwed by them. Long story short, after I bought 25 units and was promised a so-cal distributorship I then got an email from ATI saying that they were the sole distributor of the Adams Arms kits and then all orders would have to go through them (my cost per kit increased considerably). When I called to ask them about this they basically said "yeah, well that is a deal we have been working on for a long time". So basically they KNEW they were not going to honor any distributorship with me but made the promise anyway to get me to buy 25 units. Needless to say I was not happy with them after this so I sold off all my Adams Arms kits and never ordered again. Looks like the ATI sole-distributorship idea didn't go over so well as they are now selling direct from their website...

Anyway, my personal kit works fine and with the addition of the one-piece carrier it is now a much better deal. It should perform fine for you. My issue with Adams Arms is with the way they treated me as a dealer and has nothing to do with the quality of the product. I still have some of their Sampson rails that are modified to work with their piston kit if you want to add a rail to it.

Wow, I would definitely stay clear from them then.

Nessal
11-03-2009, 12:11 PM

Damn that's shady. Did you got it in writting or was it oral? Oral contract is still binding in CA.

shark92651
11-03-2009, 12:28 PM
It was oral, we hadn't worked out all the details but had an agreement nevertheless. It's all water under the bridge now and there are MANY other piston products to sell. Heck, even Stag is coming out with a piston upper now!

slagusmc
11-03-2009, 7:46 PM
Sorry their business practices suck, hopefully their product and customer service are better. While there are many new gpu's out there, I was hoping to use this kit to upgrade one of my current setups than buy a new upper since my rifle is already set up the way I like it and I spent a ton getting it that way

Adehtla
11-03-2009, 8:22 PM
I have an Adams Arms piston kit that I recently "upgraded" with the one-piece carrier. I love the kit, it works great. I had a drive rod failure and they replaced it at no charge. Their customer service is really good in my opinion.

Racefiend
11-05-2009, 8:34 AM
What caused the drive rod failure?

CCRBUM
11-05-2009, 1:47 PM
these wont work on heavy barrels will they?

-hanko
11-05-2009, 2:18 PM
Sorry their business practices suck, hopefully their product and customer service are better.
:confused:
Somehow I can't follow that logic.

-hanko

Adehtla
11-05-2009, 3:00 PM
What caused the drive rod failure?

Near as I can tell it was a metallurgical issue. The break in the metal produced flakes so it looks like the metal was too brittle and could not contain the force it was trying to transmit.

I've had no problems with the new drive rod despite having punished it repeatedly.

Racefiend
11-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Near as I can tell it was a metallurgical issue. The break in the metal produced flakes so it looks like the metal was too brittle and could not contain the force it was trying to transmit.

I've had no problems with the new drive rod despite having punished it repeatedly.

Hmm..well if thats the case hopefully it was just an isolated batch that had weak metal.

skyungjae
11-16-2009, 8:23 PM
I think I got the last AA GP kit (midlength) from Riflegear back in August. Zero buffer tube wear on my rifle buffer using a GI full auto bolt carrier.

I put a carbine length GP kit on my AR pistol when they had that $250 group buy w/o the 1 piece bolt carrier. My DPMS semi auto bolt carrier made the bottom of the buffer tube a little shinny, but no gouging. I'll get back to you after the 1000 round mark.

xounlistedxox
12-10-2009, 10:10 PM
any more updates on these?

mala in se
12-10-2009, 10:24 PM
i've been eyeing this upper (http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=63_61&products_id=232) from spikes. melonite finish sounds so exotic.

i'm going to wait for addax to come out w/ somethin' cheaper until i delve into the GPU world. besides i shoot my AR just fine as it is.

Addax
12-10-2009, 11:04 PM
i've been eyeing this upper (http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=63_61&products_id=232) from spikes. melonite finish sounds so exotic.

i'm going to wait for addax to come out w/ somethin' cheaper until i delve into the GPU world. besides i shoot my AR just fine as it is.

Just wait for our new ZK model we plan on releasing in 2010.;)

xounlistedxox
12-12-2009, 7:53 AM
Any updates on the gas piston setup? Worth it?
I'm looking into getting this setup, but that means having to also pick up a rail system that will work with the gas piston kit like a DD Lite