PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Reasons California Is Better Than Texas

zippo
11-02-2009, 8:50 PM
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Top-10-Reasons-California-is-Better-Than-Texas-67681487.html

When it comes to big states, there can only be one king (sorry, New York). The real competition comes down to California vs. Texas -- a battle of red vs. blue, good vs. evil, surfboards vs. 10-gallon hats, avocados vs. Texas toast.

The big-state debate has been revived this month thanks to Trends Magazine, which poses the question: Which state, California or Texas, is the blueprint for America's future? We'd love to read the full article and get Trends' insight, but its website costs $195 per year, so we'll just have to take matters into our own hands.

Let's simplify the discussion for everyone who can't afford Trends' absurd subscription price.

Texas sucks. California is king. Here are 10 reasons to prove it.

No. 10 -- People Want to Come Here

Would you rather see the Golden Gate Bridge or the Alamo? How about Hollywood or the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum? The San Diego Zoo or the Fort Worth Zoo? People don't really visit Texas. You can only go to Cowboys Stadium so many times.

Come to California and see Yosemite, Fisherman's Wharf, Wine Country, Lake Tahoe, Disneyland, Joshua Tree, Alcatraz, the Gaslamp Quarter and Sequoia National Park.

In the mood to see it all, hop in the car and take the Pacific Coast Highway in any direction.

No. 9 -- Big States Don't Cry

When political life gets tough, we call emergency legislative sessions. We make tough cuts. If things are going south, we hold a recall election. Make fun of budget woes if you must, but we'll get through it -- and we'll do it with dignity.

When things get tough in Texas, Gov. Rick Perry throws a hissy fit and threatens to secede from the United States.

Grow up, Texas. Plus, Perry's just crying wolf.

No. 8 -- Our Waistlines Are Under Control

Everything in Texas is bigger -- including Texans.

When it comes to 2008 state obesity rates, Texas scored a 28.3. California scored 23.7.

Dear Texas, call us when your pants fit.

No. 7 -- Hit the Beach

Texas has a few beaches, sure. (We know, we know, 600 miles of shoreline.) But there's a reason we're famous for ours and they're not famous for theirs. The California coastline is host to the most beautiful beaches in the country. Dare we say it -- the world.

Plus, our best beaches are generally a short drive from where people actually live (think La Jolla, Malibu, Santa Barbara, Half Moon Bay). Texas' biggest claim to beach fame is probably South Padre Island, and while it is admittedly quite lovely, it's also a major spring break destination (yuck) and really difficult to get to.

No. 6 -- World's Toughest Governor

Despite Texas being the land of unadulterated machismo, our governor can beat up your governor. So, there.

No. 5 -- We Have Options

Californians have options. Getting bored of San Diego? Drive an hour and try Mexico. Got a case of the Sacramento blues, you're just moments away from Lake Tahoe.

Los Angeles not doing it for you? Within an hour's drive, Angelenos can hit mountains, the Pacific, or perhaps the desert. Not in the mood for those options? Extend your driving time and make a break for Vegas.

Oh, sweet Vegas. Seriously, Texas. Our neighbor is Las Vegas. Your neighbor: Oklahoma.

No. 4 -- Plenty of Eye Candy

Texans have gun racks. We've got guns. And racks.

We're hot, we know it and just in case, there are enough plastic surgeons here for every Californian to look gorgeous.

And if cosmetic surgery isn't your thing -- don't worry -- we have plenty of therapists too.

No. 3 -- We Actually Invent Stuff

Yes, Texas is enticing businesses away from California to its land of fewer tax headaches, but send us a telegram when Texas invents something.

Sure, it makes financial sense to set up shop in Texas, but the Lone Star State will always live in our innovation shadow. Google can put its headquarters anywhere in the world -- they put it in California. Apple, HP, Twitter, Intel, YouTube, MySpace, the Gap, eBay -- companies that actually changed the way the world does business are in California.

We may not cut the best tax deals, but we have a lock on creativity.

We make movies, music, theatre and television. Hell, we invented blue jeans.

No. 2 -- It's All About the Weather

Texas wins! But only in the number of tornadoes, with an average of about 140 per year. Words like "Mediterranean" and "I can't believe it's January" are used to describe California weather. If you like cold, we have mountains for that, too. Arid, humid and "I miss California" are terms often used to describe Texas' weather.

No. 1 -- California Isn't Home to George W. Bush

We gave the world Ronald Reagan, and you gave us George W. Bush.

Worst. Trade. Ever.

7x57
11-02-2009, 8:54 PM

Worst. Trade. Ever.

For the luvva God. The home state of Pelosi and Feinstein should remain very, very, *VERY* quiet on this topic. Now that we have Pelosi and company, I actually pine for the days of whining that W wasn't a real conservative.

7x57

jordan870
11-02-2009, 8:54 PM
haha thats funny
other than reason number 1.?.

forgiven
11-02-2009, 8:55 PM
:icon_bs:

IrishPirate
11-02-2009, 8:56 PM
funny......they got us on gun rights though....

rct442
11-02-2009, 8:58 PM
ARFCOM - Top 10 Reasons California is Better Than Texas

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=949772

Only 350 responses :popcorn:

gdun
11-02-2009, 9:49 PM
they got us on number of yuppies too. for sure

Greg-Dawg
11-02-2009, 9:50 PM

Californians want to leave since there are too much unemployment, owning a home is for millionaires and we're Hollyweirdos.

Again, unemployment.

But we have high blood pressure from stupid LA traffic.

No. 7 -- Hit the Beach

Most beaches are polluted.

World's stupidest Governator.

No. 5 -- We Have Options

Options to be in debt and have materialistic personalities.

Smog covers my sight.

Pioneer Chicken is the only best invention worth mentioning.

Hot, hot, hot 80% of the time; cold 1%; other 19%.

But it is home to OJ Simpson, Rodney King, North Hollywood shoot outs, plastic people, Specter, Anna Nicole Smith, Michael Jackson,...etc.

To every 1 complaint, there are 10+ gripes.

TX, here I come!!!!

five.five-six
11-02-2009, 9:51 PM
don't forget that we are safer caus of all the gun laws,

Farquaad
11-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Basically California is better than Texas unless guns are your total life. Eh, I'll accept a 10 day waiting period as long as I can enjoy it in good old sunny CA ;)

nick
11-02-2009, 10:16 PM
CA's actually had net population loss in the past few years. Too expensive, too much idiocy, too little disposable income, and the jobs aren't exactly plentiful. Did I mention the crime?

leitung
11-02-2009, 10:20 PM

Only valid argument I have found for staying in this dump...

Montana here I come.. If montana had they eye candy.. it would be perfect...

Top 10 reasons Montana is better:

10: Less People-- Less congestion..

You can accually drive a car in Montana.. Not sit in the driver seat and ***** about traffic.

9: Less hippies..

Now I know what you are thinking, Montana has all the meth heads, but I tell ya at least the cops can do something with the meth heads.

8: Less taxes..

I am tired of paying for all of californias stupid liberal social programs..

7: Less age discrimination..

Rarely does montana discriminate against 18-20 year olds

6: Budget is under control..

Says it all..

5: Cleaner air

Due to less people..

4: Weather.

It's just better.. 75 everyday gets boring, so does 95-105 during the summer, and 50 during the winter. Snow is natures way of weeding out the weak... stupid people can't manage it so they go away...

3: Less liberals..

You know why... less liberals, less everything

2: Less Crime

Says it all

1: BETTER GUN LAWS

18 year old shall issue, no AW laws, mag caps, safe gun lists, no problem owning NFA goodies, no stupid HSC, no stupid 10 day waiting period, no gun registration, no 1 in 30 handgun restrictions, no .50 BMG ban, no stupid PPT at an FFL, E.T.C You get the idea

SDshooter
11-03-2009, 6:44 AM
If the weather in TX is like CA, I'd be living there now. CA sucks with all the liberals.

smeatme
11-03-2009, 7:10 AM
here is the counter arguments from (of all places) L.A. Times, go figure.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-voegli1-2009nov01,0,95674,print.story

Hayashi Killian
11-03-2009, 8:54 AM
No one wins in that scenario.

AndrewMendez
11-03-2009, 9:02 AM
NUFF SAID

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/bizkitsman/In-N-Out.jpg

sspen003
11-03-2009, 9:07 AM
Man I feel like this is some travel brochure. Texas is way better. More cushion for the pushin'

doc1buc
11-03-2009, 9:11 AM
This post is BS, CA sucks, cannot wait to move to TX.

Someoneelseok
11-03-2009, 9:21 AM
Basically California is better than Texas unless guns are your total life. Eh, I'll accept a 10 day waiting period as long as I can enjoy it in good old sunny CA ;)

+1

I wouldn't move to another state just because of gun laws. There are other things in life too, and the perks the OP has is enough to keep me here and fight for more gun rights instead of running away.

johnrunner89
11-03-2009, 11:06 AM

+1! CA offers us several things texas can't come close to. Heck especially living in socal. The beach is is under an hour away, but if surfing isn't what i'm feeling than the mountains are under an hour away too :) Than I can go snowboarding pretty much from Nov. till June (but I can always go to mammoth a few hours further up north and snowboard till July :) ).

PIRATE14
11-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Well......I go both ways here........:D

The weather in El Paso....is pretty close to the weather in the IE....

But there aren't any beaches near there.....

South Padre Island is nice....but a long drive....;)

Traffic sucks in both places.....

But when I go RATATAT TAT....or quietly....TEXAS....wins...

Super Spy
11-03-2009, 11:43 AM
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Top-10-Reasons-California-is-Better-Than-Texas-67681487.html

Sure we get more tourism, but look at the number of people leaving the state because they need a job and found an affordable place to live

Tell our legislators that...they missed that memo

When it comes to 2008 state obesity rates, Texas scored a 28.3. California scored 23.7.

OK

No. 7 -- Hit the Beach

Texas has a few beaches, sure. (We know, we know, 600 miles of shoreline.) But there's a reason we're famous for ours and they're not famous for theirs. The California coastline is host to the most beautiful beaches in the country. Dare we say it -- the world.

Plus, our best beaches are generally a short drive from where people actually live (think La Jolla, Malibu, Santa Barbara, Half Moon Bay). Texas' biggest claim to beach fame is probably South Padre Island, and while it is admittedly quite lovely, it's also a major spring break destination (yuck) and really difficult to get to.

OK

ROFLMAO only on TV!

No. 5 -- We Have Options

Californians have options. Getting bored of San Diego? Drive an hour and try Mexico. Got a case of the Sacramento blues, you're just moments away from Lake Tahoe.

Los Angeles not doing it for you? Within an hour's drive, Angelenos can hit mountains, the Pacific, or perhaps the desert. Not in the mood for those options? Extend your driving time and make a break for Vegas.

Oh, sweet Vegas. Seriously, Texas. Our neighbor is Las Vegas. Your neighbor: Oklahoma.

OK

Texans have gun racks. We've got guns. Gun Control and racks.

We're hot, we know it and just in case, there are enough plastic surgeons here for every Californian to look gorgeous.

And if cosmetic surgery isn't your thing -- don't worry -- we have plenty of therapists too.

There are several high tech companies in Texas working on some very big stuff, Like EESTOR....if you've never heard of them that's ok, in 20 years they'll be as common a name as Microsoft. Anyone have a Dell?

Texas wins! But only in the number of tornadoes, with an average of about 140 per year. Words like "Mediterranean" and "I can't believe it's January" are used to describe California weather. If you like cold, we have mountains for that, too. Arid, humid and "I miss California" are terms often used to describe Texas' weather.

OK Texas is too hot.....and has tornadoes....but we have earthquakes so that's a wash.

Worst. Trade. Ever.

Seriously look at some of the political hooligans in DC......and notice how many came from CA

By my count you need a few more to make 10. Nice try though.

chuckdc
11-03-2009, 12:41 PM
By my count you need a few more to make 10. Nice try though.

They seem to have forgotten Texas Instruments in that one, too. One of those companies that helped start it all! Oh.. and for other high tech things.. Hmm.. Johnson Space Center. Lockheed/Martin Fort Worth. The whole area around Austin. If you're into high-end medical tech, try the Texas Medical Center in Houston. Baylor for cardiology. M.D. freakin' Anderson cancer center.. best on Planet Earth.

Oh.. and the part about eye candy.. sounds like they've never been to Texas. There is a LOT of eye candy there. Usually without the California attitude problem attached.

The weather there Does Suck Indeed, and they lack serious mountains, but other than that, I'd be inclined to give this one to TX.

And I'm a CA native!

Ladyfox
11-03-2009, 1:07 PM
After coming across this, and reading both the ARFCOM and LA article (which was surprisingly good considering the source, I really had to think for a moment about this considering my own views on the subject. This issue, along with other very polarizing topics such as health care reform, really I do not think will ever have a clear answer for most people.

Consider, there really are only a handful of factors that differentiate each state from one another:

a. Government
b. Economy
c. Education
d. Weather
e. Personal (ex. family, friends, etc.)

Where things get complicated is when you start shuffling the above factors in orders of priority which are different for each person. So while things like this article are interesting to read to see their take on things they will never have a right or wrong answer for everyone.

So where do I stand on this? Well, for myself I really think that no matter how things may improve for things like 2A rights or the economy California will always wind up suffering from the same problems over and over again. The people here, for the most part, just can't accept the fact that they will never have the utopia that they keep making laws and going broke for.

Do not get me wrong, California overall really is a pretty state but until the "liberal ideal" of government dies in such a catastrophic and spectacular fashion the same way Communism did in Russia this same BS will happen over and over again. And maybe, just maybe, the people as well as state and federal governments will FINALLY get a clue and start being a bit more responsible. While failure both at an economic and government level will be bad for those who live here it will be many times worse if it succeeds.

If somehow California manages to infect others with this madness, well, the thoughts are just too terrible and mind-numbingly terrifying especially considering just how much we currently owe to China both at the state and federal level. And make no mistake China WILL come to collect sooner or later at which point the only real question will be how bad it will be if we can't pay?

Rob454
11-03-2009, 2:29 PM
have you guys ever been to Austin Texas? You wanna see eye candy woo wee.
I was working there for 6 months and it was a lot more fun than Cali. No stuck up b*****s and overall friendly people.

I like Texas My wife is from Texas. When we move from Cali its either gonna be In Texas or Idaho.

CalNRA
11-03-2009, 2:53 PM
another Journalistic master piece from NBC.

Yarn.

Vin496
11-03-2009, 2:57 PM
Why do Californians always feel the need to affirm themselves?

The one thing that always struck me as odd when I 1st started coming out here from Texas, was that people would ask you how much you paid for things. I had never had that happen in Texas, and people still don't.

CalNRA
11-03-2009, 3:14 PM
Why do Californians always feel the need to affirm themselves?

see the SNL skit "Stewart Smalley".

(that does not speak well of Minnesotans)

Vin496
11-03-2009, 3:25 PM
Gosh darnit Im good enough.

stormy_clothing
11-03-2009, 4:44 PM
I think anyone who likes Texas more should live there and vice versa. I like Texas got some great people and places but I like California more. :)

joepamjohn
11-03-2009, 6:29 PM

Too true ..Unfortunatley guns are the "total" life for many of the folks that post in these forums. :43:

ST5MF
11-03-2009, 7:17 PM

When it comes to big states, there can only be one king (sorry, New York). The real competition comes down to California vs. Texas -- a battle of red vs. blue, good vs. evil, surfboards vs. 10-gallon hats, avocados vs. Texas toast.

The big-state debate has been revived this month thanks to Trends Magazine, which poses the question: Which state, California or Texas, is the blueprint for America's future? We'd love to read the full article and get Trends' insight, but its website costs $195 per year, so we'll just have to take matters into our own hands.

Let's simplify the discussion for everyone who can't afford Trends' absurd subscription price.

Would you rather see the Golden Gate Bridge or the Alamo? How about Hollywood or the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum? The San Diego Zoo or the Fort Worth Zoo? People don't really visit Texas. You can only go to Cowboys Stadium so many times.

Come to California and see Yosemite, Fisherman's Wharf, Wine Country, Lake Tahoe, Disneyland, Joshua Tree, Alcatraz, the Gaslamp Quarter and Sequoia National Park.

In the mood to see it all, hop in the car and take the Pacific Coast Highway in any direction.

When political life gets tough, we call emergency legislative sessions. We make tough cuts. If things are going south, we hold a recall election. Make fun of budget woes if you must, but we'll get through it -- and we'll do it with dignity.

When things get tough in Texas, Gov. Rick Perry throws a hissy fit and threatens to secede from the United States.

Grow up, Texas. Plus, Perry's just crying wolf.

No. 7 -- Hit the Beach

Despite Texas being the land of unadulterated machismo, our governor can beat up your governor. So, there.

No. 5 -- We Have Options

Yes, Texas is enticing businesses away from California to its land of fewer tax headaches, but send us a telegram when Texas invents something.

Sure, it makes financial sense to set up shop in Texas, but the Lone Star State will always live in our innovation shadow. Google can put its headquarters anywhere in the world -- they put it in California. Apple, HP, Twitter, Intel, YouTube, MySpace, the Gap, eBay -- companies that actually changed the way the world does business are in California.

We may not cut the best tax deals, but we have a lock on creativity.

We make movies, music, theatre and television. Hell, we invented blue jeans.

Worst. Trade. Ever.

The fact that you have to compare Cali to TX just shows how much better you know TX is. Very transparent indeed.

NSR500
11-03-2009, 7:48 PM
You must have thought you could hide this from the Texas Calgunners by posting it in here, huh?! ;)

No. 10 -- People Want to Come Here: California is suffering a higher rate of population loss compared to Texas. The people who are coming to California and staying are the prized Illegal Immigrants who are killing California like a Cancer.

No. 9 -- Big States Don't Cry: He was not being a "Cry Baby" by wanting to reaffirm our States Rights, he is doing his job as requested by Voters in his State. Governor Rick Perry is not perfect, but he is still leaps and bounds better at his job than Arnold.

No. 8 -- Our Waistlines Are Under Control: Given the fact that there are more drug users, hippies, vegans, vegetarians, and people on fad diets in California; Texas is in good shape. Texans actually eat well and live well.

No. 7 -- Hit the Beach: California's beaches are overrated, period. As an avid beach goer born and raised on a tropical island, I know what I am talking about. I've been to beaches all over Asia and the Pacific, and I can tell you that California has very crappy beaches. The waters are too cold in 3/4 of the beaches all year long and visibility is not that great. The reef system in California is not that great either and there is too much kelp and crap. Lastly, the surfing in California is weak compared to the rest of the Pacific Region.
Texas waters are not anything to write home about other than the fact we actually reap the bounty within by drilling for oil.

No. 6 -- World's Toughest Governor: Arnold is just a Steroid Head that was made into a tough guy by movie imagery. Governor Rick Perry is a legitimate outdoors man that can shoot, and is probably tougher in real life than Arnold.

No. 5 -- We Have Options: Texans have options as well because our cost of living is more realistic, Texans do a lot of travel because we have money to spend. My buddies frequently go to Colorado, and Utah for the snow, I go to Louisiana all the time, and my relatives visit Oklahoma, and New Mexico. Regarding our own Geographic diversity which I'm not going to kill bandwidth on, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Texas

No. 4 -- Plenty of Eye Candy: I beg to differ... There are so many more Naturally Beautiful women in Texas in my opinion. I also find Texan Women to be more down to Earth, and still holding traditional family values. Let me put it this way... Texas is not regarded as a Pageant State because we have ugly Women. :p
For the hunting folk let me put it to you like this... Compare a California deer to a deer from Texas. We've got more Trophy worthy game here compared to the scrawny, ugly game in California. :p

No. 3 -- We Actually Invent Stuff: Texas still does this in Alternative Energy, Oil & Gas, Medical, Technology, and Agriculture. Looking specifically at Technology; why do you think Austin Texas is thriving compared to Silicon Valley? Ever heard of Dell, Compaq, EDS, etc...?

No. 2 -- It's All About the Weather: Texas has a diverse climate regions, just pick the one that suits you. If you want to really play the Tornado Card, I'll play the Earthquake Card. Plain and Simple it is always easier to prepare for a Tornado and Hurricane than it is for an Earthquake. Can the USGS give you a 7-day advance warning? I thought so... :43:

No. 1 -- California Isn't Home to George W. Bush: California is the festering sore, and growing tumor of the United States of America. There is so much vile political sewage coming out of California it is ridiculous!
California's political contributions of today = Pelosi, Boxer, Newsome, Schwarzenegger, Stark, DeLeon, etc...

JustGone
11-03-2009, 8:50 PM
You must have thought you could hide this from the Texas Calgunners by posting it in here, huh?! ;)

No. 10 -- People Want to Come Here: California is suffering a higher rate of population loss compared to Texas. The people who are coming to California and staying are the prized Illegal Immigrants who are killing California like a Cancer.

No. 9 -- Big States Don't Cry: He was not being a "Cry Baby" by wanting to reaffirm our States Rights, he is doing his job as requested by Voters in his State. Governor Rick Perry is not perfect, but he is still leaps and bounds better at his job than Arnold.

No. 8 -- Our Waistlines Are Under Control: Given the fact that there are more drug users, hippies, vegans, vegetarians, and people on fad diets in California; Texas is in good shape. Texans actually eat well and live well.

No. 7 -- Hit the Beach: California's beaches are overrated, period. As an avid beach goer born and raised on a tropical island, I know what I am talking about. I've been to beaches all over Asia and the Pacific, and I can tell you that California has very crappy beaches. The waters are too cold in 3/4 of the beaches all year long and visibility is not that great. The reef system in California is not that great either and there is too much kelp and crap. Lastly, the surfing in California is weak compared to the rest of the Pacific Region.
Texas waters are not anything to write home about other than the fact we actually reap the bounty within by drilling for oil.

No. 6 -- World's Toughest Governor: [B]Arnold is just a Steroid Head that was made into a tough guy by movie imagery. Governor Rick Perry is a legitimate outdoors man that can shoot, and is probably tougher in real life than Arnold.

No. 5 -- We Have Options: Texans have options as well because our cost of living is more realistic, Texans do a lot of travel because we have money to spend. My buddies frequently go to Colorado, and Utah for the snow, I go to Louisiana all the time, and my relatives visit Oklahoma, and New Mexico. Regarding our own Geographic diversity which I'm not going to kill bandwidth on, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Texas

No. 4 -- Plenty of Eye Candy: I beg to differ... There are so many more Naturally Beautiful women in Texas in my opinion. I also find Texan Women to be more down to Earth, and still holding traditional family values. Let me put it this way... Texas is not regarded as a Pageant State because we have ugly Women. ;p
For the hunting folk let me put it to you like this... Compare a California deer to a deer from Texas. We've got more Trophy worthy game here compared to the scrawny, ugly game in California. ;p

No. 3 -- We Actually Invent Stuff: Texas still does this in Alternative Energy, Oil & Gas, Medical, Technology, and Agriculture. Looking specifically at Technology; why do you think Austin Texas is thriving compared to Silicon Valley? Ever heard of Dell, Compaq, EDS, etc...?

No. 2 -- It's All About the Weather: Texas has a diverse climate regions, just pick the one that suits you. If you want to really play the Tornado Card, I'll play the Earthquake Card. Plain and Simple it is always easier to prepare for a Tornado and Hurricane than it is for an Earthquake. Can the USGS give you a 7-day advance warning? I thought so... :43:

No. 1 -- California Isn't Home to George W. Bush: California is the festering sore, and growing tumor of the United States of America. There is so much vile political sewage coming out of California it is ridiculous!
California's political contributions of today = Pelosi, Boxer, Newsome, Schwarzenegger, Stark, DeLeon, etc...

+1,000,000 California SUCKS! Pretty much all aspects of it. I just moved back from Indiana a month ago, been lookin for a job since and can't find NOTHIN. Once I find one I will be savin up to move out of this crap hole state.

leelaw
11-03-2009, 10:41 PM
No one wins in that scenario.

Oh, because Reagan had to leave California when he was President?

I wholeheartedly agree.

xibunkrlilkidsx
11-03-2009, 10:45 PM
lol. im going to have to email that one to my great-aunt in Amarillo.

C-Los
11-04-2009, 3:22 AM
never been to texas so i cant really comment on that, but my supervisor is from houston, says the crime is ridiculous, and that alot of refugees from katrina never left. he showed me his three knife wounds from an attempted robbery, right in front of his business, while he was with his young daughters. got his CCW the very next day.*sigh*CCW...

for me, surfing in the morning, snowboarding in the afternoon, and you can be in vegas the same night? what!!!!!!

BTW alot of citizens here in Cali are from somewhere else, you could pick them out sometimes. butter on blueberry muffins...mmm

BillCA
11-04-2009, 5:33 AM
Would you rather see the Golden Gate Bridge or the Alamo? How about Hollywood or the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum?
I can also tell you that people who come here are shocked at the prices. Hotel prices, gas prices, food prices, housing prices, even toll bridge prices. I can't tell you how many people have said "This is ridiculous! How can people afford to live here?"

What's in Texas?
- Lower taxes
- Houses you can afford. - Big houses
- Plenty of land to build a new house on.
- And no whining for EIR's to protect a red-toed newt
- CCW's
- Gun Laws you can understand
- Cheaper gas

Oh, bull cookies! The most recent CA budget woes are because the state capitol is infested with legislators bought off by special-interest groups. They couldn't cut funding on anything without worrying how it will affect their standing with special interest groups. Worse than that, they insist on funding special social programs over basic services - police, fire, ems, water and power. The eco-nuts control development in this state - we haven't built a new major power generating plant in almost 15 years in California. More refineries? Ha! The last one attempted got buried under EIR's and "special committees" for six years before the oil company just gave up.

Dear Californian, call Texas when your pants fit properly and you've removed the collagen, silicone and other "enhancements" from your body. Pants should not be so tight that we don't need to imagine what's underneath -- or so baggy that the crotch is near your knees. And once you put some mass on your skinny little bodies, we'll teach y'all that BBQ does not mean just cookin' over charcoal on a grill.

No. 7 -- Hit the Beach

What good are California beaches anymore? Y'all ever try to find a place to park in Santa Cruz on a good day? And what's with the beach cops? You can't drink beer on the beach, you can't smoke, you can't cook hot dogs and if you drink half-bury your Coke can to keep it from spillin' or to hold down the empty chip bag, they ticket you for litterin'. Oh, they say all these rules are so families can enjoy the beaches. I guess that's why they let young women wear those butt-floss bikinis and postage-stamp tops.

Only with the help of Hollywood Special Effects.

No. 5 -- We Have Options
Let's see... bored on a summer's day in Silicon Valley? Drive to the beach in Santa Cruz where the water is freezing. Don't worry though, by the time you wade through traffic on Hwy 17 it'll be time to turn around and come home. It's much the same in SoCal.

Head for the mountains in the winter? Sit in line with 280,000 other people. Half of which didn't bring chains. The half that did bring them have no clue how to use them, drive with them on the car or drive in the snow.

Visit any large city in CA and your effective transit times are between about 10:30am and 2:30pm. Four hours. Otherwise, traffic jams. So you stay late - until after 7pm. But you're paying for that time in outrageous parking fees too.

Try to visit the peace & quiet of the Sierras in summer. Out of your five or six days, at least three of those days will be spoiled by families on ATV's ripping through the hills or some urban jack*** playing rap music through his 1200watt stereo with the doors open.

Texans have gun racks. We've got guns gun control. And racks.

The only thing the "racks" in California are filled with is silcone. Well over half the women in California are schitzes. They say they want their men to be intelligent and sensitive to their needs - not the beer drinking neanderthal types. Yet almost all of them say the men they're attracted to are the rough "anti-hero" type who get into fights.

A Texas woman won't stand by and let her man do all the fightin'. Hell no. She'll jump right in there and if you're lucky she won't be carrying her own knife or her own gun!

Before most of y'all were born there was a little company down in Texas call Consolidated-Vultee that built some little airplanes during WW-II called Liberators. They built other planes too. After the war, they made the fastest supersonic bomber, the B-58...
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/BillCA/Aircraft/b58-1.jpg

Of course, in Texas, things are done in a big way. You (or your parents) thought the B-29 was big? How about a plane that dwarfs even the B-52? Take a look at that itty-bitty B-29 next to Convair's (Consolidated) B-36.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/BillCA/Aircraft/xb36_b29.jpg

Never mind the first around-the-world non-stop flight was out of Ft. Worth's Carswell AFB. Never mind the Johnson Space Center, or the IBM Space Division computing center. Forget Texas Instruments. Nah, we ain't invented anything, right?

Granted, California's weather is much milder than Texas. Thanks to the Pacific ocean, California has two seasons - Very Warm and Mild. But you also don't get the beauty of regular thunderstorms. You can't smell the rain coming for an hour before it arrives. But in Texas, folks have time to enjoy the outdoors... what good is beautiful weather when you're working 10-12 hours a day in an office to keep your job?

Worst. Trade. Ever.
Oh, but look at some of the trade-offs we get in Congress from California...
Diane "No Guns" Feinstein
Nancy "Stone Face" Pelosi
Barbara Boxer (you hear a whistling when she walks)
Henry "don't challenge me" Waxman
Maxine "Fidel" Waters
Barbara "Comrade" Lee
Lynn "Airhead" Woolsey
Zoe "Who?" Lofgren

I'm originally from Texas and it's not the best state in the Union, but it is far from the worst. At least in Texas you can have a CCW, an AR/AK, a 15 round magazine and no stupidity about waiting 10 days.

People in Calfornia really don't think things out. They want electric cars. They want mandates (tax credits) to push them onto the market so they're affordable. They want HOV lane stickers for them, even if they drive alone because "they're environmentally friendly". BUT...
- They don't want new power plants
- Or to pay for upgrading the electric grid
- They don't think how to charge those 823,000 new batteries overnight.
- Without the power plants & grid infrastructure for it.
- They want solar power to do the job.
- But only if the solar panels are in another state.
- Augmented by wind turbines
- That they want placed far away from their sight.
- And utility companies must be regulated even tighter,
- To avoid them making too much profit (to invest in upgrades)

The constant silliness and stupidity of the so-called leaders in this state is appalling. It's obvious those in Sacramento (and major cities) don't care what voters want... they'll find a judge to overturn anything and tie it up for years.

Ladyfox
11-04-2009, 8:51 AM
never been to texas so i cant really comment on that, but my supervisor is from houston, says the crime is ridiculous, and that alot of refugees from katrina never left. he showed me his three knife wounds from an attempted robbery, right in front of his business, while he was with his young daughters. got his CCW the very next day.*sigh*CCW...

I heard some of the same stuff from my lil brother who still lives there and I would be lying if it didn't worry me sometimes. Not sure what I would do if he got hurt like that. -_-

Untamed1972
11-04-2009, 9:28 AM

There are plenty of hot chicks in Texas.....and they're usually much more friendly then the typical "my sh-t don't stink" CA chicks. Cowgirls rock!

Requiem
11-04-2009, 9:31 AM
I'd rather be in Texas any day of the week than in California.

Capt. Speirs
11-04-2009, 10:45 AM
I see it this way, when, not if, but when we get our gun rights straightened out and taxes lowered, we will truly be the "Golden State".

chuckdc
11-04-2009, 10:56 AM

Now, I agree with most of what you say.. but..

EETS NOT A TOOOMAH!!!

The festering sore part, well.......:p

Untamed1972
11-04-2009, 11:04 AM
No. 2 -- It's All About the Weather: Texas has a diverse climate regions, just pick the one that suits you. If you want to really play the Tornado Card, I'll play the Earthquake Card. Plain and Simple it is always easier to prepare for a Tornado and Hurricane than it is for an Earthquake. Can the USGS give you a 7-day advance warning? I thought so...

However I would contend that FAR more people are killed in this country by tornados then are killed by earthquakes, so I will take my chances with the earthquakes.

Safest structure you can be in during an earthquake is a single story, woodframed home, which is mostly what you find in CA. Wouldn't wanna be in one of those during a tornado tho.

Brianguy
11-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Interesting... I dont see Calguns on that list.

Vanguard
11-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Most of the people arguing that California is the center of the universe were born here and haven't been to too many other states. It's a whole different world out there. California is not America.

Hayashi Killian
11-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Oh, because Reagan had to leave California when he was President?

I wholeheartedly agree.
I have to partially give you that one.

Small win for Cali, major loss for the rest of the country.

The only thing Texas doesn't have is OC, but that may very well change. I may end up stationed at Lackland when I enlist in the USAF, so we'll have to see where things go.

Steyrlp10
11-04-2009, 12:43 PM
When I win the Lotto, I'll have a summer home in Texas -- just to have a place to store my second Ranger!

But being from the Bay Area, I'm biased and still like CA.

MolonLabe2008
11-04-2009, 1:03 PM
I'll take Texas any day.

trinydex
11-05-2009, 12:04 AM
i hate to say it, but most of that was california self loving delusion...

C-Los
11-05-2009, 12:16 AM
alot of californians are moving out. alot of friends and acqaintances have moved to washington state, arizona, las vegas, and texas, and florida, the californization has begun.

other states may look down and laugh at us about our gun laws while we have our necks under the guillotine, but fail to realize that while they may be far from us in that respect, they are still in the same line...

Capt. Speirs
11-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Most of the people arguing that California is the center of the universe were born here and haven't been to too many other states. It's a whole different world out there. California is not America.

Lived in Germany for 17 years, New Jersey for 18 months, Puerto Rico for 18 months, Ohio 3 months, Indiana for a year, and the rest in CA. Traveled for short stays to England, France, Italy, Austria, Holland, Mexico, and New York. Think I might have a little bit of an objective view. California is not the world, but worth fighting for, everyone else get the heck out, your just gonna get in the way.

Look Wat I kAn DO !
11-05-2009, 12:39 AM
I have family in texas and i would go there every winter. I love the things you can do in the small towns but i hate the weather. I also HATE WHATABURGER. If you guys lived or visit texas you guys know what im talking about.

m98
11-05-2009, 12:42 AM
don't forget that we are safer caus of all the gun laws,

+10X....YEP, I like the feeling that I don't ever need to lock my doors on my car and house and that help is just MINUTES away.

m98
11-05-2009, 12:45 AM

I also Enjoy the Delightful Cancer causing UV Rays:)

evidens83
11-05-2009, 8:37 AM

x10 :p

AEC1
11-05-2009, 8:42 AM
Dont pick on Texas.

It is like tripping a kid with downs syndrome, it just is not nice!!

Mikeb
11-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Cal has good white water and mountains with snow. That's 2...
Mike

TexasAggie
11-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Having lived in California and Texas, I will concede that there are much more interesting places to visit in California than Texas, but I would rather live in a dusty old town in West Texas than live in La Jolla in California.

There is something to be said about keeping more of the fruit of you labor, depending on oneself for well-being, supporting oneself than an army of bureaucrats/politicians/public employees unions/etc. Budget surpluses and an environment where politicians aren't trying to stake a claim on every last bit of your money....that makes all the difference in the world to me.

I live in California now, but I will get back home to Texas one day.

There is no comparison between the two states, and the women in Texas are the best I've seen.

TexasAggie