PDA

View Full Version : Bret Daniels came to see me. (Sacramento County Sheriff Canidate)

Mstrty
11-02-2009, 4:12 PM
After hearing his views on CCW I typed him a letter. He responded:

Good Morning Ty,
I am reallllllly sorry for not responding sooner to your e-mail. The CCW is very important to me and will be a factor in this election. My history is long and documented so you will not have to worry about me being a puppet candidate that is simply pandering for votes.

Bret
Pretty generic email but when you are really typing it yourself and not some lower level staffer what more could I expect. The address to my store was contained in my email to him. Today he stopped by to see me. We talked for about 20 minutes or so. I felt like he was genuine. We talked about administration cuts to add more badges to the streets. We spoke briefly about the "stalking" allegations some of you have spoke about. But most importantly we spoke about CCW license issuance. He tells me face to face that he would give out CCW permits on a "shall issue" basis if elected Sheriff. For me this is all I need to look more closely at him. We shook and off he went. I wish I had know he was coming by I'd of had more questions ready.

Roadrunner
11-02-2009, 4:42 PM
Well I hope you're right. Most candidates agree with you until they are elected. Then they're back to business as usual. Is there any evidence to back his talk?

Mstrty
11-02-2009, 5:19 PM
He told me to look for wording like. "we need to reform CCW" and "When elected I will make changes the current policy". He was more of a look me square in the face and told me. "If elected CCW's will be issued to non prohibited people period!" "If you need a CCW to protect you or a member of your family you get one period." "Ask that to Cooper or Jones and you get political re-derrick". I have yet to speak to Cooper or Jones. I doubt they will stop by my store to pay me a visit. We will see.

Super Spy
11-02-2009, 5:25 PM
Nice to hear! Too bad we won't being seeing a candidate like that for Sheriff in Contra Costa or Alameda soon.....

DarkHorse
11-02-2009, 5:34 PM
I never expected to see one in Sacramento County.

KylaGWolf
11-03-2009, 9:59 AM
Good luck.Our Sheriff race here in San Diego is a bit of a mess. I do know of two I won't vote for but that is a whole different story.

mikehaas
11-03-2009, 11:13 AM
...he would give out CCW permits on a "shall issue" basis if elected Sheriff...
He can't establish a "shall issue" system by state law.

Southwest Chuck
11-03-2009, 11:36 AM
He can't establish a "shall issue" system by state law.

He can however, accept self defense as good cause. :D

KylaGWolf
11-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Mike not offically but couldn't he do that by simply issuing for self defense purposes?

Mitch
11-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Mike not offically but couldn't he do that by simply issuing for self defense purposes?

I believe most California sheriffs already do this, which makes it even more strange with people like Hutchens insist their hands are tied.

not-fishing
11-03-2009, 12:09 PM
I believe most California sheriffs already do this, which makes it even more strange with people like Hutchens insist their hands are tied.

Hutchens is not really strange, just strained reasoning.

I've learned not to give people the "benefit of a doubt". When I get these positions I look at them as "Politically Correct" liars who are cut from the same cloth as Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Jamez
12-14-2009, 5:08 AM
Does Bret have a website? Or can someone give me his email. I'd like to volunteer to help his campaign if possible

PatriotnMore
12-14-2009, 7:03 AM
Hutchens is not really strange, just strained reasoning.

I've learned not to give people the "benefit of a doubt". When I get these positions I look at them as "Politically Correct" liars who are cut from the same cloth as Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

More of a strained appointee who does not give a hoot about CCW, or the rights of law abiding citizens who wish to be armed. The County knew exactly what kind of Sheriff they were handing us, and they should not be left off the hook come elections.

Walker
12-14-2009, 7:17 AM
I feel a bit dirty for having gone to the site, but the only place I was able to find anything on him was on the Sacramento News and Review web site.

http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/snog/blogs/post?oid=1298866

AyatollahGondola
12-14-2009, 9:16 PM
I feel a bit dirty for having gone to the site, but the only place I was able to find anything on him was on the Sacramento News and Review web site.

I've done some campaign work with and for Bret on his last attempt at office in Citrus Heights. We've discussed the issue of...well, Issue....and I believe he's genuine on his support for it. However, with the budget problems that the county now faces, he may find it a bit difficult to muster funds to administer any large scale permit plan. It does cost money, and not all of it would be born by fees, else the charge would be several hundred bucks per

bulgron
12-14-2009, 9:22 PM
I've done some campaign work with and for Bret on his last attempt at office in Citrus Heights. We've discussed the issue of...well, Issue....and I believe he's genuine on his support for it. However, with the budget problems that the county now faces, he may find it a bit difficult to muster funds to administer any large scale permit plan. It does cost money, and not all of it would be born by fees, else the charge would be several hundred bucks per

So raise the fees. I'll take an expensive permit system over no permit system any day of the week.

AyatollahGondola
12-14-2009, 11:23 PM
So raise the fees. I'll take an expensive permit system over no permit system any day of the week.

That wouldn't be fair either. Sacramento county has gotten better about issuance since years past, but it's still really bad. But a system that ends up favoring monied applicants is not really a good system.

USAFTS
12-15-2009, 7:50 AM
I believe most California sheriffs already do this....

Huh?

Jamez
12-15-2009, 6:14 PM
I've read that before (about the SNR).
When does the "race start?" summer 2010?

How do we volunteer? Does Brett plan on popping by the forums to say hey? :-)

Mitch
12-15-2009, 6:20 PM
Huh?

Most California sheriffs issue CCws with "self defense" as an accepted good cause.

CCW is virtually shall issue in most of California.

USAFTS
12-15-2009, 8:26 PM
Most California sheriffs issue CCws with "self defense" as an accepted good cause.

WOW! I have a hard time believing that...but if that is truly the case, I am in the wrong county.

GuyW
12-15-2009, 8:28 PM

You don't actually expect us to believe this, do you?

We know better....

Walker
12-15-2009, 10:18 PM

We know better....

Most of the state really is....just not the parts where most of the people live.

hoffmang
12-15-2009, 10:36 PM

We know better....

By number of counties, it would not surprise me if the majority or nearly the majority were easy issue. By population is a whole other matter however.

-Gene

AyatollahGondola
12-15-2009, 10:41 PM
I've read that before (about the SNR).
When does the "race start?" summer 2010?

How do we volunteer? Does Brett plan on popping by the forums to say hey? :-)

He's already kicked off his campaign, and last time he had us passing out fliers in the precinct in teams. I got stuck with him....
You either drive the car, or run between the car and the registered voter homes.
I'm sure the same tactic will be used, but he may also want phone bank people to counter the automated phone dialer that the current sheriff used to try and torpedo Daniels' campaign for office in citrus Heights.
I also loaned him the use of the mobile billboard, and that's pretty easy work. you just stand by and answer questions or pass out fliers.

I'll link him to the forum thread, and I'm sure he'll make an appearance. right now he's involved in the toys for troops kids gig that he does every year.

JustGone
12-16-2009, 2:43 AM
Do you have to be a resident of the county to get a permit from it? For example I am in Yolo county, just across the river from Sacramento county. If Brett accepted self defense as good cause could I get a CCW from him?

CalNRA
12-16-2009, 2:55 AM
I recollect reading about the current Sac county sheriff making promises about reforming CCW process during the campaign and subsequently did a U-turn and shut the door on the CCW supporters. AM I remembering the right situation here?

Mitch
12-16-2009, 7:26 AM

I don't care what you believe. That's the facts.

AyatollahGondola
12-16-2009, 8:11 AM
Do you have to be a resident of the county to get a permit from it? For example I am in Yolo county, just across the river from Sacramento county. If Brett accepted self defense as good cause could I get a CCW from him?

No. State law was changed a few years ago to address that. A sheriff in Isleton, CA was doing exactly that, and the legislature stopped him.

AyatollahGondola
12-16-2009, 8:19 AM
I recollect reading about the current Sac county sheriff making promises about reforming CCW process during the campaign and subsequently did a U-turn and shut the door on the CCW supporters. AM I remembering the right situation here?

I guess it boils down to what reform actually means. I know some people that obtained permits from the sheriff in the past 10 years that would never have obtained them prior to that. But the criteria is still not representing solely personal protection, and the value on what they are associated with protecting is still pretty high. So if you handle large sums of cash in a bad area of town, or run a business that has experienced a lot of violent robberies your chances are good if you can pass the other requirements (actual physical tests on the range, insurance, etc.)
But let's look at one thing here: The amount is relative in the eyes of the money'ed people. The way I see it, alot of people get robbed, raped, assaulted over a lot less than 200K or so, but the thresholds seem to revolve around high dollar items. So it ends up being a class issue really, but they do issue for personal protection when there is a specific threat, howver those seem to be more restrictive and get even more scrutiny.

Keith(CA)
12-17-2009, 10:06 PM

Eric Hogue of KTKZ has a piece on him from back in October this year. There's also a little flash player featuring the entire audio interview with Brett Daniels near the bottom of the article (just over 11 minutes long), CCW issue brought up at the 2:08 mark.

http://hoguenews.com/?p=4721

AyatollahGondola
01-02-2010, 8:02 PM
Bret Daniels commented on his link:

"Jim, I have a long documented history of being a pro-2nd Amendment advocate. I fully believe the right is an individual right and that the court will settle the issue appropriately this year. I believe the law allows me as Sheriff to allow CCW's in accordance w/"Shall Issue" guidelines and that is what I will do. Davi, you make a good point and I would agree with you in its current form. I will change that also to a much simplified process. Cost should not be obstacle to exercising a right."

New Feature: Reply to this email to comment on this link.

To see the comment thread, follow the link below:http://www.facebook.com/n/?%2Fprofile.php&v=feed&story_fbid=227619598931&id=1176403160&mid=1a9b4afG5af32387efabG1e93cfG13