PDA

View Full Version : Skeet Shooting in open ocean

Synergy
11-02-2009, 3:01 PM
Are there any laws in CA against this?

I dont even know where to start to look. Why I ask is yesterday I was on my roommates boat out to Catalina and it was a calm day and I said with biodegradable birds, it would be fun to shoot trap and skeet out here.

CHS
11-02-2009, 3:18 PM
I looked into this a while ago, and from what I can gather, once you've hit the 3 mile mark you are no longer in California. And so only Federal law and Coast Guard regulations should theoretically apply.

Now, I'm not 100% sure if it's actually legal to do, but I believe it is ok. The best thing to do is call the coast guard.

As to the 3 mile thing, yes you are no longer in California, but you are still in US waters. I don't know how that really works with the open space between say OC and Catalina.

At the very least, I wouldn't do any shooting BETWEEN the coast and Catalina, as there are just too many boats in that area. I would either go beyond Catalina (3 miles, because Catalina itself is in the state of CA, and its borders count), or go to the south of it (I wouldn't go north only because of the port of LA/Long Beach).

But the first thing you need to do is call the Coast Guard and ask them very explicitly what laws and legalities apply.

The problem without being outside CA's borders is you start being subject to Federal law instead. And while Federal law is typically less strict, the PUNISHMENTS are always more severe it seems.

Short Answer: Call the Coast Guard :)

locktime
11-02-2009, 3:42 PM
Practically speaking once you are out of LA county jurisdiction you should be fine. The main issue might be if other boats think they are hearing distress signals. That and getting your shotguns all rusty.

You could try the shotgun in the crook of your arm while barely looking back shot. Which JB movie was that?

lioneaglegriffin
11-02-2009, 4:37 PM
they do make marine shotguns for the salty sea air and water right?

megavolt121
11-02-2009, 4:52 PM
You'll also want to check to see how far out state parks/beaches reach into the ocean to make sure you're not in state park territory.

Booshanky
11-02-2009, 5:15 PM
What is defined as "international waters"?

CHS
11-02-2009, 5:26 PM
What is defined as "international waters"?

It's actually kinda difficult to truly define international waters.

Basically, at 3 miles you are no longer in the state of California.

At 12 miles you are no longer technically inside the US. But then there's the "Contiguous Zone" that stretches a further 12 miles after that, where laws can still be enforced by a state:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_waters#Contiguous_zone

However, inside 200 miles you're in a special "Exclusive Economic Zone" and many US laws might still apply. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_Economic_Zone

So, TRUE international waters should be any waters where you are greater than 200 miles from *ANYTHING*.

If it's blue on this map, you should be good:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exclusive_Economic_Zones_Nulles.png

Super Spy
11-02-2009, 5:30 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Get yourself a nice stainless 870 and go shoot some clays on the high seas. Sounds like a fun weekend to me. I think if you told the Coasties they might want to find out where and when....so they could join you! Another thing that works well is just blow up balloons and toss 'em over! The wind and the waves will keep them moving pretty good.

Spyder
11-02-2009, 5:34 PM
Hell, I'm in. Tell me when to show up!

blackberg
11-02-2009, 5:35 PM
I have the shotgun, who has a boat? :61:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2189/bb6352.jpg

-bb

11-02-2009, 6:03 PM
You are perfectly legal once you are further away than 3 miles from the shore and your shot doesn't pepper anybody else boat.
Have fun!

Bruce
11-02-2009, 6:32 PM
Practically speaking once you are out of LA county jurisdiction you should be fine. The main issue might be if other boats think they are hearing distress signals. That and getting your shotguns all rusty.

You could try the shotgun in the crook of your arm while barely looking back shot. Which JB movie was that?

Thunderball

curtisfong
11-02-2009, 6:48 PM
Thunderball

Screw that. Ash did it better in AoD.

goober
11-02-2009, 6:55 PM
bdsmchs pretty much nailed it

bomb_on_bus
11-02-2009, 8:19 PM
what about international waters?

forgiven
11-02-2009, 8:48 PM
I used to love shooting off the back of cruise ships, but then they had to go and build balcony's off the back. 870's were the shotguns used and they were in pretty good shape.

Nessal
11-02-2009, 8:54 PM
Dont think that it should be a problem. Back in 94' they were shooting clays off of Royal Carribean.

hoffmang
11-02-2009, 9:01 PM
Two important caveats.

1. You must be 3 miles from any US shoreline. That means you have to be three miles from the shores of Catalina or surrounding islands and from the usual coast.

2. Firing a firearm offshore can be considered a distress signal so either warn USCG or monitor 16 if you choose to actually follow through.

-Gene

toopercentmlk
11-02-2009, 9:07 PM
Screw that. Ash did it better in AoD.
Over the shoulder, no look. :D

edit: .. and no ear protection...

series8217
11-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Another thing that works well is just blow up balloons and toss 'em over! The wind and the waves will keep them moving pretty good.

Please don't. There's enough pollution in the ocean already. Stick to biodegradable clays.

Synergy
11-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Please don't. There's enough pollution in the ocean already. Stick to biodegradable clays.

Thanks for the great info.

Yesterday between Marina Del Rey and Avalon the ocean was littered with balloons. We picked up at least a half dozen and some other debris floating out there. I also found this floating out there.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Icemedic/Catalina%20Wine%20Mixer/IMG00030-20091101-1545.jpg

The USCG failed at finding their victim. I called it in and brought it home its been returned to the rightful owners.

SDJim
11-03-2009, 7:26 AM
Back in the day, most Navy ships had an MWR (Moral, Welfare & Recreation) allowance for a few (2-4 depending on the size of the ship) Remington skeet / trap shotguns, clays, a thrower and ammo. It gave us something to do on lazy Sunday afternoons or during "Steel Beach" picnics. I want to say the usual charge was $1 for 5 rounds.

For several reasons the allowance disappeared in the late 90's for several reasons.

Guidance was if we were close into shore you had to be inside of an authorized exercise area (Fleet-A-Hot) off of San Diego or out in open ocean not within 10K yds of any other ships. Silly I know. We had the same restrictions when we ran the pistol / rifle quals off the fantail. I always laughed when we had to stop firing .45's because some ship was going to CPA @ 9800 yds, or some airplane we could see that combat said was over 20K feet . . .

I remember spending a number of afternoons anchored off of Coronado shooting clays & hitting those crappy golfballs that do whatever they do once they hit the water (think the same setup they use of of ocean liners)

IGOTDIRT4U
11-03-2009, 7:43 AM
Two important caveats.

1. You must be 3 miles from any US shoreline. That means you have to be three miles from the shores of Catalina or surrounding islands and from the usual coast.

2. Firing a firearm offshore can be considered a distress signal so either warn USCG or monitor 16 if you choose to actually follow through.

-Gene

And 23 IIRC. 16 is the generally accepted channel for local open transmissions that is monitered, but 23 is also used in this region. I.E., 16 gets you in touch with harbor patrol, 23 most likely does not, but 23 is used when traffic on 16 is too high out in the open(plus the myriad of other wavelengths).

Ross
11-03-2009, 7:58 AM
Back in the day, most Navy ships had an MWR (Moral, Welfare & Recreation) allowance for a few (2-4 depending on the size of the ship) Remington skeet / trap shotguns, clays, a thrower and ammo. It gave us something to do on lazy Sunday afternoons or during "Steel Beach" picnics. I want to say the usual charge was $1 for 5 rounds.

For several reasons the allowance disappeared in the late 90's for several reasons.

Guidance was if we were close into shore you had to be inside of an authorized exercise area (Fleet-A-Hot) off of San Diego or out in open ocean not within 10K yds of any other ships. Silly I know. We had the same restrictions when we ran the pistol / rifle quals off the fantail. I always laughed when we had to stop firing .45's because some ship was going to CPA @ 9800 yds, or some airplane we could see that combat said was over 20K feet . . .

I remember spending a number of afternoons anchored off of Coronado shooting clays & hitting those crappy golfballs that do whatever they do once they hit the water (think the same setup they use of of ocean liners)

I was wondering if somebody else had done that too.

Steel beach picnic and there's always somebody hitting a bucket of balls off the fantail.