PDA

View Full Version : Using mending plates/braces for makeshift shooting stand?

a1c
11-02-2009, 9:44 AM
I was watching a SafeArmsReview (http://www.youtube.com/user/SafeArmsReview) video the other day, and there is one where Steve makes a cheap target stand:

LjS5P-pDIg4

He recommends using mending plates (steel, I suppose) to assemble the 2x2 pine. I was wondering about this though - couldn't this be a ricochet risk, especially for close range pistol shooting?

andrewj
11-02-2009, 10:00 AM
For close range shooting, you have no excuse for even hitting the frame.

I have made a few of those stands. After making the first one with mending plates, I decided I didn't like the final product. I just stuck with a nail gun for securing the 2x2's from then on.

andrewj
11-02-2009, 10:20 AM
But to answer your question, the mending plates aren't strong or thick enough to cause a ricochet.

a1c
11-02-2009, 10:23 AM
But to answer your question, the mending plates aren't strong or thick enough to cause a ricochet.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure.

I agree, no excuse to hit the frame. But you never know.

I'll experiment with a few more designs anyway - need something non permanent that easily fits in the SUV.

Mitch
11-02-2009, 10:52 AM
I made some target stands using mild steel tubing. I designed them so that they were angled toward the shooter so that if you hit the 2x2 pine uprights there was a chance the bullet would glance off (at least a handgun round). Dream on.

In fact, the first time I took the target stands out to the desert, one of my shooting buddies put a big hole through the steel crosspiece with a .300 Winmag. He was shooting at a far more distant target and didn't realize my target was in the way.

I'd say you don't have to worry too much about ricochets.

Here are the plans for the stands.

xxdabroxx
11-02-2009, 11:54 AM
maybe if you could come up with a mortise and tenon joint with a carriage bolt and wing nut.

http://www.efi-costarica.com/image-files/mortise-and-tenon-joint.jpg
Think of a hole through the middle of the joint, like the pinned joint.

Might be a tough joint for the do it yourselfer, but should be doable.

I was thinking of making a metal base that would hold replaceable 1x2's for the uprights. It would be basically just an H pattern of "C" channel that had a couple of vertical "C's" about 6-8" tall at the intersection points of the H. If that makes any sense. Then you could bolt through the verticals through the 1x2's.

Cokebottle
11-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Might be a tough joint for the do it yourselfer, but should be doable.
Not really... instead of using a single 1x2, use two strips of 2x1/2 and glue-laminate them together with the desired offset at the ends, kinda like a "jungle mag".
I was thinking of making a metal base that would hold replaceable 1x2's for the uprights. It would be basically just an H pattern of "C" channel that had a couple of vertical "C's" about 6-8" tall at the intersection points of the H. If that makes any sense. Then you could bolt through the verticals through the 1x2's.
I made one from square steel that was easy to break down.
Hard to describe, but I'll try.

The support itself had a 1-1/4"x1-1/4" square tube across the bottom. Two 6" long 1-1/4" x 2-3/4" tubes were welded to the ends to form a "U".
Note, the ends of the square tubing are left open.

Next, I made two "T" pieces. The "cross" portion of the T was the same 1-1/4" square tubing. The "leg" was small enough to slip into the 1-1/4" tubing.
This forms the support, and hitch pins hold them in place.

Now the beauty.... Pull the hitch pins, pull the legs out, flip the legs so the "T" is inverted, place one leg in front of the frame, one leg behind the frame, and now the holes in the frame that lock the legs are also used to secure the legs to the frame in the stored position.

I just drop a couple of cheap 1x2's into the frame and mount the target normally. Works like a champ, though I do need to use sandbags when we set up for the human sized target with the top of the head at 6ft, as it doesn't take much wind to blow it over.

Wanna have some real fun?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNZnDlHG2C4&feature=related

M1A Rifleman
11-02-2009, 12:25 PM
If you want a cheap (Free, Ninety-Free) target stand, look around for the wire political signs or Home Sale Signs. They are light and small so they are easy to transport. Use either a card board file box lid or cut a piece of card board to fit the wire frame to attach your target.

These work great, and when it breaks, go and find a new one. To be fair to the original owner, look for out-dated signs that have been posted beyond their useful life.

City code enforcement staff usually drive around and collect these for disposal. So you are not only helping to beautify your community, but your getting a reasonable target stand at a good price. ;)