PDA

View Full Version : Do Bay Area Pawn shops tend to sell guns?

TonyNorCal
02-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Recently moved up here from SoCal and wondering if it's fairly common for local pawn shops to sell guns? Any suggestions of good places would be helpful (North Bay in particular).

Thanks http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TonyNorCal
02-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Recently moved up here from SoCal and wondering if it's fairly common for local pawn shops to sell guns? Any suggestions of good places would be helpful (North Bay in particular).

Thanks http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

maxicon
02-28-2005, 1:16 PM
Most pawn shops in the south bay area don't sell guns. I've been told Fremont Jewelery and Pawn does, but I haven't been there, and I don't even have a number for them.

None of the ones I used to go to in Sunnyvale and San Jose do.

omega
02-28-2005, 3:50 PM
I walked into a few pawn shops around Market street SF and didnt see any guns?

vaporone_859k@hotmail.com
02-28-2005, 5:13 PM
Fremont Jewelry and Pawn DOES sell firearms far as I know but it's been a while since I've been there.

40880 Fremont Blvd, 510-656-4040

Although personally, if you're going to come down to Fremont, you should also check out IRVINGTON ARMS, great shop and Mac's a cool guy.

rawny@mac.com
03-02-2005, 8:14 PM
The only pawn shop around San Jose that sells guns is Big Ben on San Carlos. Their selections are pitiful and their prices are unrealistic. In other words, don't bother.

PKAY
03-09-2005, 12:11 PM
I used to buy firearms from my favorite pawn shop in Lawndale (SoCal). But they quit selling guns when the laws became so restrictive. Here's what happened. Before the Democrat Tyranny descended upon the land, a person could come into a pawn shop and pawn his/her personal property for a sum. Later, he/she might return to pay off a portion of the sum (loan) and in the end, all of it. At that point their property would be returned to them. Of course, if the loan was never repaid within the time period allowed and agreed to, the property changed hands and the pawn broker now owned it.

So it was with firearms (personal property). The pawn broker who chose to provide loans against firearms had to have a 01 FFL. When the owner paid off the loan, his firearm was returned to him. If he did not pay it off, the gun now belonged to the pawn broker. When the law changed regarding transfer of firearms in CA, pawn brokers dealing in firearms were now required to both inform and require of a pawned gun's owner who duly paid his/her debt that before he/she could have the gun returned, it had to be DROS'd with payment of attendant fee AND held for 10 days before retrieval. Ostensibly, this was to determine if the original owner had become a prohibited person between the time he/she pawned the firearm and the time they paid off the loan.

Most folks pawning guns had NO idea this was now the law. In fact for some, the DROS fee was greater than the original loan amount. For my friendly pawn broker it meant the beginning of a series of credible THREATS AGAINST HIS LIFE by disgruntled pawners, who thought he was just trying to screw them.

Bottom line: He quit dealing in firearms period. And the guns which normally would have been pawned and later sold to law abiding citizens via Form 4473, DROS, and 10 day wait now made their way to the street where they were and are sold illegally for cash or drugs.

Unintended consequences indeed!

stv
03-10-2005, 1:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by omega:
I walked into a few pawn shops around Market street SF and didnt see any guns? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's because there's only one gun shop in the City and it's in the Mission.