PDA

View Full Version : I'm just wondering...

Charliegone
03-28-2005, 4:58 PM
I was just wondering if it is possible to get a clone of a rifle that is on the assault weapons Roberti-Roos act (excluding the AR's and AK's) with either pistol grip removed or with a fixed mag? Say like the HK-91 if I were to get and JLD-91, which is the clone w/ either fix mag or some other kind of grip other than pistol grip is it considered still and AW?

Charliegone
03-28-2005, 4:58 PM
I was just wondering if it is possible to get a clone of a rifle that is on the assault weapons Roberti-Roos act (excluding the AR's and AK's) with either pistol grip removed or with a fixed mag? Say like the HK-91 if I were to get and JLD-91, which is the clone w/ either fix mag or some other kind of grip other than pistol grip is it considered still and AW?

imported_edbon9
03-28-2005, 6:51 PM
you CAN get a fal-type clone without the pistol grip. But shooting it that way is a bit complicated, and if you get stopped and they find a pistol grip, you may get charged with breaking some law or other. That's why most people who build their fals go with the 10rd fixed mag instead http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

bwiese
03-28-2005, 6:58 PM
If a gun is NOT on the Roberti-Roos list, and is NOT an AR or AK "series" weapon, then a 'clone' is allowed if it has fixed mag, etc - like the CaliFAL.

I am a bit leery of the removed pistol grip situation - depends on whose jurisdiction you live in or are driving thru. Some crusading DA might try to pop you w/AW possession if the items were too close/accessible to each other.
If I acquired one of those guns I'd keep the pistol grip AND the gun locked in separate containers away from each other, esp during transit. But since you can't use the pistol grip in CA anyway it's a real bother - I'd only transport the pistol grip in separate locked case when driving out of/back to CA.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Charliegone
03-28-2005, 7:03 PM
Well, I live around a pretty conservative area of California so I might not get one of those AW crusading DA hehe. So then it is ok if i got a clone of one of those weapons on the Roberti-Roos list excluding the ar and ak. Hmm you see I have a cousin who lives Texas and maybe he can get the rifle for me. I guess thats ok since he is going to buying the rifle not me. I could just do the modifications out of state and then send to an ffl dealer here right? Do you think it would be better if I contact the DOJ for more info on this?

Stevil
03-28-2005, 9:20 PM
This isn't on the list BUT may be something you're interested in...

http://www.robarm.com/m96_california_recon_carbine.htm

I handled one the other day. If you have small hands forget it, other than that it takes some getting used to BUT seems to be a very accomplished rifle.