PDA

View Full Version : Scope Type for M1A Scout

RT13
11-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Have been shooting my M1A Scout with irons for a while and am now getting the itch to try out a scope. Can't decide which type go with, red dot or regular scope. My choices would be either a red dot sight mounted onto the front handguard scout rails or either a 3-9X40 or 6-18X40 Mil Dot scope using a Sadlak receiver mount. It will be used up to 300 yards with a magnified scope or just up to 100 yards maybe 200 with a 4moa or 3moa red dot scope. Need help deciding and would like to hear you feedbacks on what you think would be better for a Scout? Thanks.

jinggoyd1967
11-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Did you consider "scout rifle" optics like the Leupold FX-II 2.5x28mm IER Scout or Burris Scout Scope 2.75X?

5ohguy
11-02-2009, 7:57 AM
I'm looking to buy some kind of optic for mine too. I've done some research about scout scopes like the Leupold FX-II IER Scout. The downside is they narrow your field of view, but allow you to shoot at further distances than a red dot.

Apparently the FX-II Scout scope was developed specifically for the M1A with a forward rail. Its only 2.5x magnification, so you can shoot with 2 eyes open for close in stuff.

dfletcher
11-02-2009, 8:10 AM
I've had a Scout for a year or so and had a Loaded before. For the Scout I use the ARMS scope mount because it sits low and looks like it's part of the rifle. I removed the forward scope base and use a wood handguard (Boyds) instead of the fiberglass, just a preference. Don't recall the brand of scope but it's 30mm 1.5 to 5X with a dot, used Leupold PRW bases. There's about 3 paper sheets of clearance bewteen the rear sight & the bottom of the scope so I figure that's about the lowest I can get.

As with pretty much all M1A scope mounts (except the Bassett) reading the instrctions takes longer (and sounds more difficult) than the actual mounting.

Black Majik
11-02-2009, 8:18 AM
Here's a fantastic thread running on ARFcom relating to scout scope options. The Burris seems to be the favorite on that thread.

All three options would be worthy of consideration, the red dot, the scout scope or a receiver mount.

I went through a really frusterating experience trying the receiver mount option, in the end came to the conclusion Sadlak makes good ****. :D

eric1972
11-02-2009, 7:01 PM
I've read about using the Burris handgun scopes for these short M1As, people seem to like them.

RT13
11-03-2009, 12:02 AM
I have and is considering a Scout type scope. I have read about the Leupold FXII Scout scopes before, but just checked out the Burris Scout Scope and yes, I read some really good and interesting reviews on it esp compared to the Leupold FX. I think I will give this a try and see how I like it.

MasterYong
11-03-2009, 7:23 AM
I'm looking to buy some kind of optic for mine too. I've done some research about scout scopes like the Leupold FX-II IER Scout. The downside is they narrow your field of view, but allow you to shoot at further distances than a red dot.

Apparently the FX-II Scout scope was developed specifically for the M1A with a forward rail. Its only 2.5x magnification, so you can shoot with 2 eyes open for close in stuff.

+1,000,000 on the FX-II.

I've got one on my M1A and it's PERFECT. I wouldn't put anything else on it.

dfletcher
11-03-2009, 7:43 AM
I've read about using the Burris handgun scopes for these short M1As, people seem to like them.

I used the Weaver 2.5X8 handgun scope on some scout rifles as well as on Encore and Contender handguns, they hold up well. If they can take the recoil of a 375 H & H, 405 Win, 45/70 handgun I figure any rifle should be easy. Never had one break on me.

Technically there's a difference bewteen an EER rifle scope and a handgun scope, I think the handgun scope has a longer eye relief. But as a practical matter I've always found the handgun scope to work fine on a rifle.

dexter9659
11-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Burris pistol scopes all the way.