View Full Version : Pinning a collapsible stock on an AR? Anyone?

11-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Okay so I got my NDS 3 and was happy then I saw there was a little shock absorber that was available and replaced the buttstock with an ar-15 type of tube and THEN that made me get a Magpul CTR to cover up the stump protruding from the back of the AK type rifle so that I can now have a magpul AND a shock absorber on the beast.

I had removed the monsterman grip altogether and put on the telescoping CTR stock and THEN discovered that I had read the law wrong. I THOUGHT it said telescoping (or collapsing) AND folding stock was illegal on a detach mag centerfire rifle. SO since my CTR only collapses and is still set to oal of like 30+ inches (I think). IT is still illegal? (DAMN THEM!)

My question now is this, I LOVE my CTR. It looks nice and feels good. SO, I have no problems putting a cheaper AR type of stock on the AK and moving the magpul to one of my ar-15 rifle builds.

So then the next step is to figure out how to PIN the new cheaper generic telescoping ar-15 type mag open so that it is at least 30" long OAL, but can not collapse. I want to do a clean job of course. I was told that I should come here and ask the question. Is it just as easy as placing a dowel into the buttstock behind the tube at the furthest position so it can not be retracted? I do not want the cali gun grabbers raiding my house again and snatching all of my babies up. I do not want to mess with the CTR but if I could fix THAT instead that would be nice as long as I can reverse it and it is of course clean.

Thanks for any input. Down with AB962!

11-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Not sure I understand the configuration you have your rifle in, but if you are doing a "featureless" build (i.e. no mag lock) then the stock needs to be FIXED (no folding, no collapsing). If you have a mag lock (e.g. bullet button) on your rifle, then you are fine with a collapsing stock.

04-21-2010, 9:44 PM
Wow I forgot about this.

Yes it is a featureless build. I have a ak with a detachable mags and no foregrip but a cool shock absorber that just happens to take a 6 spot collapsible stock. How can I pin that stock open, OR, maybe putting a dowlrod in it so that it can not collapse would be good?

04-21-2010, 9:51 PM
You should pm Riflegear! Christian over there pinned a magpul for a friend of mine.

04-22-2010, 5:36 AM
My buddy just put a rivet into his stock housing just behind the where the receiver extension stops. You can't move the stock forward because the rivet hits the extension. It looks clean and would be easy to remove someday.

05-04-2010, 1:10 AM
Oh yes I did not think of that. I was thinking that I had to place a pin exactly somewhere. I was even thinking of getting a dowel and putting it in the back behind the tube so that you could not collapse the buttstock.

Good ideas. PM Riflegear eh? Okay. When I come back to this project I might do that looking for advice. I just need to get a cheap telescoping buttstock now...

05-04-2010, 4:38 AM
Here's how a fellow Calgunner chose to pin his collapsible stock.

05-04-2010, 7:18 AM
... put on the telescoping CTR stock and THEN discovered that I had read the law wrong. ...

Sell your CTR or exchange for an MOE if you decide to pin it. Don't waste a good stock while you can save your dough for a few more rounds of ammo.

05-04-2010, 7:48 AM
Does it have to be pinned or can you use a nut and bolt instead?

05-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Just an idea: You could always go down to your hardware store and get a metal pipe clamp, paint it black, and then put it around the buffer tube to stop the stock from collapsing in. Trim it up so it looks nice and you should be good to go. Check with others to make sure this is permanent enough (I imagine it would be as it would require a tool to take it off).

Something like this:

05-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Drill a small hole under the red arrow and get a screw, either a hex or philip..which ever you like and screw it in there. Tha'll stop the lever from being able to unlatch.