PDA

View Full Version : Sac Valley Shooting Center - Nov. 14 & 15 - Palma & 1000 yard matches

Ahhnother8
11-01-2009, 7:28 PM
Sac Valley Shooting Center:

November 14 - Palma match (800, 900, 1000 yards)
November 15 - 1000 yard match

The Palma match is unlimited sighters and 15 shots for record at 800 yards, 2 sighters and 15 shots for record at 900 and 1000 yards. Time limit is 17 minutes for each string.

The 1000 yard match is unlimited sighters and 20 shots for record with any caliber/any sights, then unlimited sighters and 20 shots for record with any caliber/iron sights. Time limit is 22 minutes for each string.

Each shooter will be pulling targets and scoring. After each shot, the target will be pulled and marked. All types of equipment (except .50's) are allowed, and will be classed accordingly for awards. Muzzle brakes will be allowed, but those using them will be given much grief. :D Match fee - $20.

If interested, simply show up at Culbertson Cove (the building/camping area below the 1000 yard line) between 7:00-7:30 am. O'Connell will be doing squadding right there. It is a semi-informal match, with much harmless banter and fun. If you have never shot at long range before, just show up with a 100, 200, or 300 yard zero. There will be plenty of help with comeups from there. We typically have a BBQ immediately after the match. Hamburger or hotdog and chips and drink for $2.

Lane

phish
11-01-2009, 7:33 PM
Will be there the 14th, hopefully with a viable F/TR load for next March if the shooting Gods allow it.

Pthfndr
11-01-2009, 9:23 PM
I'll see you on that Sunday - sans muzzle brake. Have to work Saturday.

phish
11-06-2009, 3:19 PM
bump

the lr clinic was packed, so people should have dope, come on out!

Ahhnother8
11-08-2009, 6:22 PM
Does anyone on this site ever shoot over 100 yards?! :confused:

Fjold
11-08-2009, 6:32 PM

Sure, with 22 rimfire handguns.

Rifles are made to shoot at distances. Look at all the old military rifles with their anemic cartridges, they all had ladder sights out to 1,500 yards (or meters). Even the shorter carbines had sights calibrated out to 500+ yards

Pthfndr
11-08-2009, 7:27 PM

Sure, they all do. Make 1st round hits at 1000 yards with iron sights, and surplus ammo too. Don't you ever read the other threads? :)

Seriously though, I think several of the NCPPRC guys are planning on being there Saturday.

After our practice today I removed the bipod and brake and got slung up to check my elevation with the sling......the guys told me I should stop using the bipod, that it was holding me back :)

Ahhnother8
11-08-2009, 9:47 PM
After our practice today I removed the bipod and brake and got slung up to check my elevation with the sling......the guys told me I should stop using the bipod, that it was holding me back :)

I did the opposite of you, at last weeks Tuesday practice, and I think your guys are right. I borrowed a Sinclair bipod and strapped it on my Palma rifle, to begin getting ready for the F-class Nationals. I shot at 800, 900, and 1000, and it sucked!! Nothing about it was "normal". For the last 10 rounds at the 1000, I pulled off the bipod and put the handstop back on and shot with a sling, but left the scope on. The group size drastically shrunk and my last 5 shots were X's. I have a lot of experimenting to do with the bipod, if that is what I'm going to use for the National's. :confused:

Looking forward to this weekend. May even try the bipod again for the 1000 yard match on Sunday????

Lane

swerv512
11-09-2009, 4:30 AM
i'm going to try and make this- i need some more time under my belt reading those flags and mirage. how come i always get nice headwind at practice only to get blown around on gameday....

phish
11-09-2009, 8:43 AM
I did the opposite of you, at last weeks Tuesday practice, and I think your guys are right. I borrowed a Sinclair bipod and strapped it on my Palma rifle, to begin getting ready for the F-class Nationals. I shot at 800, 900, and 1000, and it sucked!! Nothing about it was "normal".

It's kind of a culture shock, so to speak. I shot a better score with my service rifle at the last Folsom Special than with my F/TR rig. I'm getting used to it though, the practice last Saturday felt much better. Sweet Lane, let's see a major upset at the Nationals next March! :D

swerv, that's just the will of the shooting Gods ;)

Pthfndr
11-09-2009, 6:17 PM
I shot a better score with my service rifle at the last Folsom Special than with my F/TR rig.

swerv, that's just the will of the shooting Gods ;)

Maybe you should put a sling on your F T/R rifle :)

Swerv just shot his first LR match at the NCPPRC monthly match last Sunday. He did well for his first time out.

Ernest, when are YOU going to come shoot one of our matches?

Hogxtz
11-09-2009, 6:47 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun. How does one begin to learn about what skills, terminolgy, and knowledge that is needed to get started? Will showing up at a match and just hanging around and observing help? I think I would like to eventually try this hobby but only after I half way knew what I was doing.

Ooops, I just found a stickey thread from Mudcamper on how to get started in match shooting in a different section.

phish
11-09-2009, 7:11 PM
Maybe you should put a sling on your F T/R rifle :)

Swerv just shot his first LR match at the NCPPRC monthly match last Sunday. He did well for his first time out.

Ernest, when are YOU going to come shoot one of our matches?

with all the chatter at Saturday's practice and on the forum, looks like December :D

phish
11-14-2009, 2:57 PM
lol, looks like a girl beat everyone...again...

:pinch:

bummed more F/TR people didn't show up, could've used a little scratch from coming in 2nd in that group

eta: you guys missed a "freebie" for the 800 yard stage: no wind, oh well...

JTROKS
11-14-2009, 5:01 PM
I would come out if I had the right bullets to load for my Rem 700 PSS. Sounds like a blast.

Pthfndr
11-15-2009, 3:22 PM
lol, looks like a girl beat everyone...again...

:pinch:

bummed more F/TR people didn't show up, could've used a little scratch from coming in 2nd in that group

eta: you guys missed a "freebie" for the 800 yard stage: no wind, oh well...

Noma took top honors today.

I know your feeling about coming in 2nd. I was the only expert so Jim bumped me to master. I finished 2nd there, but there were only 3 of us.

NRAhighpowershooter
11-15-2009, 4:15 PM
Noma won the other week down at Coalinga as well..