PDA

View Full Version : AW-looking pistol - asking for trouble?

zhyla
11-01-2009, 6:28 PM
I've got a pistol that prior to 2000 had a detachable magazine outside the pistol grip. It is not listed by name as an AW. After 2000 it has had fixed 10-round magazine to comply with CA law. I've gone over the handgun flowchart several times, it's as legal as legal can be.

But I've been nervous about actually bringing it out to a public range. You couldn't tell without close inspection that the magazine is not detachable. The last thing I want is for some cop at the range to see it, confiscate it (and every other gun I brought with me) and have to go thru hoops to get it back once they've proven to themselves it's legal. I have this gun entirely for fun, it's not suitable for defense in the slightest, so it's not worth getting hassled over.

Am I being paranoid? What got me originally thinking about this was a sticky in the rifle forum about "how not to get arrested with your OLL". It gave good advice. I imagine cops are fairly familiar by now to featureless rifles, bullet buttoned rifles, etc, but not so much with this kind of pistol.

Opinions greatly appreciated.

hoffmang
11-01-2009, 6:33 PM
If you are legally configured you're not going to have any problems. Really, the only time there is any confusion about firearms that look like AWs but are not is when the police get involved for other reasons like a broken windshield, a domestic disturbance, etc.

Just lock it in a small case and don't consent to any searches and breath easily. If it's legal and what you were doing at the time the problem comes up isn't a crime of moral turpitude, CGF is likely willing to help explain the firearm to a LEA or DA.

-Gene

zhyla
11-01-2009, 6:50 PM
Thanks Gene. I will leave the evil looking pistol at home whenever engaged in moral turpitude :).

Stormfeather
11-02-2009, 4:22 PM
Im just curious now what type of pistola it is!

DarkHorse
11-02-2009, 4:33 PM
Im just curious now what type of pistola it is!

^^^Agreed.

Moral turpitude...brb

Glock22Fan
11-02-2009, 4:43 PM
Thanks Gene. I will leave the evil looking pistol at home whenever engaged in moral turpitude :).

You know, when I used to have to fill out the INS forms when I came over here from England, I answered the question "Have you ever been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude?" for years without knowing what such crimes were. (and no, I knew I wasn't perjuring myself - I have never been convicted of ANY crime). Just not a term we used over there.

My favorite question though was "Are you entering the United States to commit crimes of terrorism or violence?" Really! "Umm, Mohammed, how should we answer this? Don't want to commit perjury!"

Seesm
11-02-2009, 6:36 PM
Pic is best really.... posta dat chit... :)