PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? Kid with a casing

Vectrexer
11-01-2009, 3:36 PM
Last week a another child shows up to school with an empty shell casing where my daughter also goes to school. The child knew the casing was inert and physically harmless.

What would you tell the child as they are walking into the school? or would you say anything at all?

bballwizard05
11-01-2009, 3:38 PM
When I was a little kid I took that stuff to school sometimes, its harmless... I dont see the problem. just my opinion

CavTrooper
11-01-2009, 3:39 PM
Whats the problem?

ChrisTKHarris
11-01-2009, 3:40 PM
The logical question would be to question the kid's access to firearms. If he was able to get his hands on casings, what about access to guns in the home?

dantodd
11-01-2009, 3:41 PM
I wouldn't say anything to the kid other. If you really feel compelled to ask anything just ask if their mom and dad know they brought it to school.

otherwise I might hand by for a few minutes to see how the school would respond and be there to chime in that the device is completely harmless if they go into "OMG" mode.

383green
11-01-2009, 3:46 PM
A fired casing is a complete non-issue. It doesn't even imply any access to firearms or ammunition; I grew up with zero guns in the house (I never even touched a gun until college), but during my childhood I found quite a few shell casings laying around on the ground here and there. A fired casing is no more significant than a discarded paper cup. It's non-hazardous reusable and/or recyclable trash.

bodger
11-01-2009, 3:49 PM
As touchy as things are these days, if it was my kid, I would want to know if somehow a spent shell casing could violate a zero tolerance policy.

Absurd as it seems, it would be worth checking in my opinion.

leitung
11-01-2009, 3:53 PM
Nothing... People need to quit being so paranoid about guns... especially schools.

CavTrooper
11-01-2009, 3:59 PM
Nothing... People need to quit being so paranoid about guns... especially schools Calgunners.

fixed

SJgunguy24
11-01-2009, 4:00 PM
Whaen I was in high school I found a full can of S/W MK4 CN spray. Not OC but the real deal CN tear gas, this was in 1992 and that stuff is BAD.
I wouldn't trip to hard about an empty shell, i've found a few at the light rail stations before. Maybe the kid found it on the sidewalk.

Vectrexer
11-01-2009, 4:02 PM
As for common sense, no problem.

But were talking about uncommon times where at least one child has made the news by being ejected from school by knee-jerk, letter-of-the-policy Principals. Principals who were probably anti 2A to begin with.

Which brings up the fact that I have not yet confirmed our new Principal's attitudes yet.

It's not about protecting the school or the public. It about protecting the child from people who would burn the kid.

yellowfin
11-01-2009, 4:06 PM
Simple solution: kick out anti 2A principals, just to be on the safe side. That's who deserves a zero tolerance policy.

HondaMasterTech
11-01-2009, 4:10 PM
It is important that our children are raised to handle the rough n'tumble nature of this world. It's good to keep them safe. Education will give them the tools they need to take care of themselves one day. If we shelter our children too much, they may never learn to take care of themselves.

wildhawker
11-01-2009, 4:11 PM
fixed

You done, or would you like to insult our community a bit more?

CavTrooper
11-01-2009, 4:13 PM

Personally , I take offense to your constant harrasing and snide remarks in response to my posts. If I didnt know better, Id think you had a crush on me or something.

Vectrexer
11-01-2009, 4:13 PM
Simple solution: kick out anti 2A principals, just to be on the safe side. That's who deserves a zero tolerance policy.

On that we agree. No tolerance for intolerance. :) Especially in circumstances like this: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=3975

wildhawker
11-01-2009, 4:19 PM
Personally , I take offense to your constant harrasing and snide remarks in response to my posts. If I didnt know better, Id think you had a crush on me or something.

"Constant harassing and snide remarks..."

If you want to be a shallow asshat and insult our community, expect to see me around.

Oh, and you're really not my type. I really do appreciate intelligence in my companions.

Vectrexer
11-01-2009, 4:22 PM
"... shallow **hat and insult our ....

short fix ;)

CavTrooper
11-01-2009, 4:23 PM
If Calgunners cannot accept firearms as a normal, everyday, harmless, inanimate objects, how can they expect anyone else to?

Vectrexer
11-01-2009, 4:24 PM
If Calgunners cannot accept firearms as a normal, everyday, harmless, inanimate objects, how can they expect anyone else to?

Who said they could not?

Werewolf1021
11-01-2009, 4:24 PM
When I was little I brought different spent casings to school for show and tell after I went shooting with my dad and grandpa. Everyone thought I was cool. Guess times have changed. I suspect that if a faculty member saw the spent casing they would freak out and the poor kid would be thrown out. Common sense isn't so common any more.

http://packphour.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/common-sense.jpg

HondaMasterTech
11-01-2009, 4:29 PM
The problem, like most others, stems from an unfirm grasp on reality.

Seesm
empty shell? no big...

Mssr. Eleganté
Who said they could not?

Calgunner ChrisTKHarris implied as much in post #4. I'm pretty sure that's what CavTrooper is talking about.

oldrifle
11-01-2009, 4:31 PM
Eh, I found a 9mm live round on the way to school once. I took it to school, showed my friends and then gave it to my dad when I got home and he disposed of it. An innocently found empty casing is extremely harmless.

HondaMasterTech
11-01-2009, 4:32 PM
The logical question would be to question the kid's access to firearms. If he was able to get his hands on casings, what about access to guns in the home?

And, since the kid had money for lunch he must have robbed a bank before going to school.

BigBamBoo
11-01-2009, 4:39 PM

VegasND
11-01-2009, 4:53 PM
Okay, reality time.

I work for one of the largest school districts in the nation, and it's not in California, but I'll bet the same wording is in most school district rules.

Guns (firearms, bb guns, airsoft, paintball, toys, get the idea?) on campus are grounds for immediate expulsion.

Ammo -- active OR inactive -- also mean immediate expulsion.

At my school, a student, an 8th grader with no prior problems of any kind: no referrals, an empty folder in the deans' office, no disciplinary action of any kind--was summarily expelled for wearing a belt made up of 5.56 empty cases (with holes drilled in them) bullets and links. The expulsion process includes a hearing. Several of us at the school wrote letters of support and she was allowed to return to school. I think she missed about 2 weeks.

Don't make light of this and keep it in mind to help keep kids from unnecessary trouble. Do complain about zero tolerance and stupidity in the system.

As an aside--In CA would the girl have also been charged with an ammo feeding device capable of holding more than 10 rounds because she had enough dummy rounds linked to encircle her waist?

HondaMasterTech
11-01-2009, 4:57 PM
The child isn't being singled out. The rules are the rules. But, the rule is ridiculous.

I remember a teacher who snorted crank off his desk when he thought nobody was looking.

I remember a teacher who threw a kid over a railing, grabbed his bicycle and began jumping up and down on it. This same teacher also made all the students in his class give him hugs before entering his classroom and before leaving it. This teacher is still employed to this day.

Expel a kid for a spent casing? Stupid.

MudCamper
11-01-2009, 5:00 PM

Relax Wildhawker. You are way overreacting.

thempopresense
11-01-2009, 5:03 PM
The schools do not have rules. They have a policy, determined by the mood of the school or district that day, and if they feel the need to make an example out of a student.

wildhawker
11-01-2009, 5:05 PM
Relax Wildhawker. You are way overreacting.

I'm fine. It was an insulting broad-brush comment that the community didn't deserve; I think we've moved on.

Scratch705
11-01-2009, 5:12 PM
i remember i had a similar incident back in 4th grade...

but it was a live round and was bigger than .308 the only reason i told the teacher about the kid that brought it was b/c he was stupid enough to throw it up in the air in the playground around other kids running around. he wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed so to speak...

oldrifle
11-01-2009, 5:13 PM
All this kind of broad stroke policy enforcement is exactly why I don't want my future kids going anywhere near a public school. If they're anything like me, they won't last 10 minutes.

phamkl
11-01-2009, 5:29 PM
The issue I'd be more interested in is if the casing was found in the gutter or on the sidewalk or somewhere, how'd it get there. In most suburban neighborhoods around here you don't expect to find too many casings lying around. The question I'd ask, to no one in particular save the crime reports, is if there had been a shooting or something recently.

If anything happens to the kid, though, I'd probably complain to the school that that's simply not right to punish a kid for bringing something harmless and interesting. Like that Boy Scouts folding utensil thing.

Unless it was .50 BMG casing.

CavTrooper
11-01-2009, 5:34 PM
that's simply not right to punish a kid for bringing something harmless and interesting...

Unless it was .50 BMG casing.

huh?

please explain how a .50 BMG casing is any more dangerous than a .22lr casing?

Dr Rockso
11-01-2009, 5:37 PM
huh?

please explain how a .50 BMG casing is any more dangerous than a .22lr casing?

Because .50 BMG casings are designed to blow a man in half and shoot down commercial airliners.

phamkl
11-01-2009, 5:37 PM
Tongue

In

Cheek

CavTrooper
11-01-2009, 5:39 PM
Tongue

In

Cheek

Ahh...

very good.

;)

DB2
11-01-2009, 5:41 PM
What's wrong with a 50bmg casing? It's only a hunk of brass. I used to have a 50 dummy round in my desk for many years in elementry school. Absolutly no one cared. I'm with cav trooper. Some of you guys are almost as bad as antis

ChrisTKHarris
11-01-2009, 5:54 PM
And, since the kid had money for lunch he must have robbed a bank before going to school.

bingo

slowjonn
11-01-2009, 5:56 PM
Ha, this thread reminds me of a story about my kid. He was about 3-3 1/2 at the time. He had been helping me sort ammo one night. No big deal. The next day I went to pick him up at the sitters. She comes to the door and has this stern/ worried look on her face. She says, "Look what Jake had in his pocket." She dumps a 230gr 45ACP hollow point in my hand. I just laughed and said "Well at least he had the sense to grab a 45 and not a 9." She just looked at me like WTF?

I was a proud dad that day.:D

ChrisTKHarris
11-01-2009, 5:59 PM
Ha, this thread reminds me of a story about my kid. He was about 3-3 1/2 at the time. He had been helping me sort ammo one night. No big deal. The next day I went to pick him up at the sitters. She comes to the door and has this stern/ worried look on her face. She says, "Look what Jake had in his pocket." She dumps a 230gr 45ACP hollow point in my hand. I just laughed and said "Well at least he had the sense to grab a 45 and not a 9." She just looked at me like WTF?

That's badass.

Intimid8tor
11-01-2009, 6:00 PM
Nothing... People need to quit being so paranoid about guns... especially schools.

Thank you!

It's frickin casing. Could be found hiking around. I remember a kid bringing a live 45 round to school in Junior High. Just a single round. Smart? No! OMG? No!

halifax
11-01-2009, 6:06 PM
Last week a another child shows up to school with an empty shell casing where my daughter also goes to school. The child knew the casing was inert and physically harmless.

What would you tell the child as they are walking into the school? or would you say anything at all?

(Not sure which child you'd be talking to but if I saw a kid playing with a spent shell casing walking to school...)

I'd tell the kid "Those are not allowed in school. I'll keep it for you until afterwards."

And this is the reason why:

Okay, reality time.

I work for one of the largest school districts in the nation, and it's not in California, but I'll bet the same wording is in most school district rules.

Guns (firearms, bb guns, airsoft, paintball, toys, get the idea?) on campus are grounds for immediate expulsion.

At my school, a student, an 8th grader with no prior problems of any kind: no referrals, an empty folder in the deans' office, no disciplinary action of any kind--was summarily expelled for wearing a belt made up of 5.56 empty cases (with holes drilled in them) bullets and links. The expulsion process includes a hearing. Several of us at the school wrote letters of support and she was allowed to return to school. I think she missed about 2 weeks.

Don't make light of this and keep it in mind to help keep kids from unnecessary trouble. Do complain about zero tolerance and stupidity in the system.

As an aside--In CA would the girl have also been charged with an ammo feeding device capable of holding more than 10 rounds because she had enough dummy rounds linked to encircle her waist?

Same thing happened to a gun guy here who was babysitting his girlfriend's grandson (public school age). The grandson was suspended for a few days for taking a souvenier from the reloading session to school the following day.

Crazy crap, but that is today's reality.

ZRX61
11-01-2009, 6:12 PM
When I was in school we used old casings as whistles.....

OHW
11-01-2009, 6:19 PM
IMO you need to explain how the case has lead and other poisons on it. That handling it and touching your mouth,eyes and food after is dangerous. Be a clean and safe kid. If that doesn't get through, its on him.

joemama
11-01-2009, 6:21 PM
Ya I remember when I was 7. I would walk around the clay pit in oroville and pick up all the "cool" casings and bullets out of debris that I could get my hands on. It didnt mean that I had access to firearms anytime I wanted either. They are really overreacting over minor things like this now days.

shoushuninja
11-01-2009, 6:23 PM
When I was a little kid I took that stuff to school sometimes, its harmless... I dont see the problem. just my opinion

im guilty of that

D_fens
11-01-2009, 6:29 PM
To address the OP's original question: I wouldn't do anything, other than tell the kid that it's a bad idea given the current "state of mind" of many of today's public schools. Having graduated from high school in the early 2000's (as opposed to you lucky folks who went in the 70's/80s), I can say from personal and secondhand experience that anything even gun related can draw unwanted attention from administration. And by that I mean, bringing a book like this http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_627493_999_01?$main-Large$ and talking about it/ sharing it with friends lands you in the counselor's office. I kid you not! :eek:

That being said, I went to a pretty "liberal" high school in a rich town, so go figure.

pat038536
11-01-2009, 6:32 PM
When I was but a wee lad... our scout camp was in an area that used to be used as a bomb/artillery/firing range, being that the camp was on base to wasn't too unusual to find the random live grenade or dud/inert bombs etc.. We were told that if we came across such an object to do the following: Don't touch it. Find an adult and show them where it is so they can get it taken care of.

coolusername2007
11-01-2009, 6:43 PM
What about the most obvious question of them all...hey kid can you get any more of these? You all are reloaders right? I mean really...free brass. ;)

Desert_Rat
11-01-2009, 6:55 PM

^^This.I showed my nephew how to use a casing as a whistle and My Brothers wife had a heart attack.And told Me all about how dangerous boolits are.I laughed pretty good over that

bodger
11-01-2009, 6:58 PM
Okay, reality time.

Exactly my point in my previous post. A spent shell casing is no more dangerous than a copper penny.

But underestimating what a school district's policy might be on anything
gun related is to not acknowledge just how screwed up our society has become.

ChrisTKHarris
11-01-2009, 7:02 PM
Exactly my point in my previous post. A spent shell casing is no more dangerous than a copper penny.

But underestimating what a school district's policy might be on anything
gun related is to not acknowledge just how screwed up our society has become.

Schools have ZERO TOLERANCE now a days, so I would error on the side of caution. Any of you see that similar story on the Fox News about the Eagle Scout that was suspended from school for having a survival kit IN HIS CAR that contained a pocket knife? He was looking to go to West Point, but his admission was possibly jeopardized because he was suspended.

HondaMasterTech
11-01-2009, 7:05 PM
I think the school is right. We all just need to enhance our calm. lol.

diginit
11-01-2009, 7:08 PM
Okay, reality time.

A spent case in not ammo - Active or inactive - as it has NO projectile or danger whatsoever. Get a Fk'n Clue! It is a leftover. Like the chicken in your fridge. Your leftover chicken has more of a chance of killing you.
Yes, I meam Fk'n Clue. If this child is punished in any way, I hope the school recieves a huge lawsuit.

Desert_Rat
11-01-2009, 7:25 PM
I think the school is right. We all just need to enhance our calm. lol.

:43:Enhance Your calm John Spartan:43:

jamesob
11-01-2009, 7:30 PM
help him make a necklace and the casing could be a charm.

ChuckBooty
11-01-2009, 7:32 PM
I think we have to be honest about the times that we live in. OBVIOUSLY this WILL be a problem at the school. Maybe it's sad but that's the way it is. I think I would pull the kid aside and tell him that, yes...I KNOW it's stupid but he WILL get into trouble at school if he gets caught with that. And he probably will cause trouble for his parents (you KNOW some nazi at the school will call CPS).

Come on guys...this isn't "the good ole days" anymore. This is California in 2009.

pullnshoot25
11-01-2009, 7:39 PM
I say no big deal. I find that sort of crap all the time. Kind of fun to identify while walking down the sidewalk :)

HondaMasterTech
11-01-2009, 7:45 PM
The thing I would worry about is giving kids the wrong idea about guns. If they are taught only that they are bad, then how are they going to learn about the real necessity for guns and the good things they can do?

I realize there is a time and place for everything, but come on, an empty shell casing is completely harmless.

ChrisTKHarris
11-01-2009, 7:48 PM
The thing I would worry about is giving kids the wrong idea about guns. If they are taught only that they are bad, then how are they going to learn about the real necessity for guns and the good things they can do?

I realize there is a time and place for everything, but come on, an empty shell casing is completely harmless.

I agree with the first part. I have some friends that are like "Guns are bad, you shouldn't have a gun..." These are all friends that have never held or shot one.

All of my friends that have shot them/own them have a healthy respect for both their utility and their lethal ability.

luckystrike
11-01-2009, 7:52 PM
say that happens and principals are involved, they will prob send you and your kid to the school board. and thats when you threaten to involve lawyers and make a big scene. they will drop the matter like a ton of bricks.
I had gotten into trouble back in Jr.High and when we pulled that card, well lets just say they wanted me back into school the next day:) they just dont want anything to do with lawyers and it potentialy turning into a big scene.

VegasND
11-01-2009, 8:06 PM
A spent case in not ammo - Active or inactive - as it has NO projectile or danger whatsoever. Get a Fk'n Clue! It is a leftover. Like the chicken in your fridge. Your leftover chicken has more of a chance of killing you.
Is that meant to promote discussion? All I did was try to point out the facts of a child's existence at school. They live in a system where reality is left so far behind it is quite bizarre. Most people acknowledge the ridiculous state of the rules and regulations, but nobody with the authority to change them will take a chance of doing so lest they be criticized. There is common sense in some individuals who will find a way to avoid needless and unwarranted punishment, but some of the individuals are truly insane who work within these rules. There have been children expelled in this nation for drawing pictures of guns and others who have been expelled for saying 'bang' with nothing gun-related (even drawings or toys) near.
Yes, I meam Fk'n Clue. If this child is punished in any way, I hope the school recieves a huge lawsuit.
Okay, you're angry over this--many of us are. Somewhere, a child is punished for this daily, and there are sometimes lawsuits. The schools and districts get away with it because of the courts' presumption that these limitations are needed to 'protect the children' -- have you ever heard that justification before?

You need to make sure any child you know is spared the trauma of being a test case. What is needed is a public outcry at school board meetings demanding a return to sanity. I am not holding my breath.

VegasND
11-01-2009, 8:12 PM
say that happens and principals are involved, they will prob send you and your kid to the school board. and thats when you threaten to involve lawyers and make a big scene. they will drop the matter like a ton of bricks.
I had gotten into trouble back in Jr.High and when we pulled that card, well lets just say they wanted me back into school the next day:) they just dont want anything to do with lawyers and it potentialy turning into a big scene.
Refer to the situation with the girl and the inert ammo belt in my first post. This was at a school in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the district. There was an attorney present when the parents met with the deans' and the attorney also went to the hearing. The girl was reinstated as quickly as the bureaucracy of the district could accommodate -- about 2 weeks. The problem was that while everybody knew this punishment was wrong, nobody was willing to put their reputation or job on the line and refuse to follow procedure. Once it is in writing everybody goes into CYA mode.

locosway
11-01-2009, 9:18 PM
From the NRA newsletter.

Over the past few years, we have reported on numerous, outrageous cases of "zero-tolerance" enforcement defying logic and rational thought. There seems to be no shortage of this kind of miscarriage of not only justice, but of common sense. So here we go again: This week's "Outrage" comes to us from Des Moines, Iowa, where a school recently suspended an 11-year-old girl for bringing a handful of empty shotgun shells to school.

During a family trip to a ranch in South Dakota, the blank rounds were fired as part of a show, and the sixth-grade student gathered the harmless, empty shells as souvenirs. Once again, these were harmless, empty shell casings from fired, blank rounds!

"I didn't think they were going to hurt anyone," the girl correctly said. "I wanted to show them to my science teacher because he's into stuff like this."

The girl didn't have a chance to show her souvenirs to her teacher, but she showed them to some friends, and was subsequently suspended.

Randy Gordon, the school's principal, said the harmless shells were considered ammunition even though they were empty, and were therefore against school policy.

The school's policy specifically bans "live ammunition or bullets" but does not address blanks, or empty shells or casings.

The girl's mother must now fight to have the offense removed from her daughter's record.

Classifying an empty shell from a blank as "ammunition" and punishing a young girl for possessing a harmless souvenir. By any standard, that's outrageous.

HondaMasterTech
11-01-2009, 9:35 PM
Lets say this problem is like fire. The spark is caused by unsensible emotional actions from individuals who have no grasp on reality, outcries from individual reactions to school shootings blaming guns. The fuel is the inaction of school board members who, as stated earlier, care only to CYA. Someone needs to spank the individuals who cry out blaming guns when someone shoots up a school. And, someone needs to b*tch slap the board members who support this ridiculous attitude.

Personal responsibility is something that is becoming less and less common.

locosway
11-01-2009, 9:39 PM
With the law saying a spent casing is not ammo, what are the chances of winning a lawsuit against the person who decided to act against the child?

Flopper
11-01-2009, 9:45 PM

No, because mere possession of Large Capacity Mags is not illegal.

Palimino Stripe
11-01-2009, 9:47 PM
Ha! This thread brings back memories... When I was in high school (around 2003?) I took some 7.62X54R shells to school to show some friends of mine. As I was showing them a teacher came out of nowhere, snatched them out of my hand faster than lightning and said "you shouldn't have these!" and immediately ran off before I could even explain...

Needless to say I was scared out of my mind. A few hours later, when I was in my last class of the day, I get a message to come to the assistant principles office. I figured I was officially expelled at that point.

When I got there (about to pass out), the AP held up an envelope with the 3 shells in it and gave me a smile! He said something along the lines of 'don't worry- you're not in trouble.' He then proceeded to ask me where I got them (from shooting with my dad), and said how he had to 'warn' other kids not to wear the ammunition belts... Then pretty much sent me on my way.

...Sigh, if that happened today, I probably would have been expelled & grilled for endangering the student body...

What's funny is- the AP seemed almost interested in shooting! He was asking me what I was shooting (Mosins) and where at (in a light-hearted conversation way).

Maybe I was just lucky the AP was such a nice guy. I'm not sure if I would have been that lucky if I was talking to the principle...

In any case- It's an empty shell! Who cares!? Pens/pencils are more dangerous at that point.

-Palimino

ak47762
11-01-2009, 9:49 PM
LOL...and sigh at the same time. This is the issue I have been beaten down here about over and over. It just shows how far CA has sunk with its laws...and not just gun laws.

When I was in school...6th grade so about 1981...my buddy brought a working Russian revolver to school for show-n-tell. He passed it around for everyone to handle and check out.

When I was in high school and driving...I kept a 10/22 in the rifle rack of my truck...in the school parking lot. By the time I graduated I had a Mini 14 in the rack. This was normal...no big deal stuff here in Redding.

And again...this was in the late 80's....now look at it...a kid brings a spent case to school and we have 3 pages of discussion about it....sad.

Take care,Stan

+1 Agreed

chickenfried
11-01-2009, 9:50 PM
Depends, is it in a caliber I reload?:chris:

M. Sage
11-01-2009, 9:57 PM

Diagram it out or it's not logical.

bubbapug1
11-01-2009, 9:59 PM

i agree...

locosway
11-01-2009, 10:01 PM

So, a kid comes to school with a condom, do you question if they're being sexually abused?

Seesm
11-01-2009, 10:02 PM
BTW I could TOTALLY see my 6 year old carrying a .22 (empty) or 10 of em to school as he sees me collect my brass .223 and .40 all the time.

So he grabs the .22 thinking I need those as well. I explain they are garbage but he bags em up... So if he took it to school would that be bad? Nahhh

Come on OP

HondaMasterTech
11-01-2009, 10:04 PM
.... As an aside--In CA would the girl have also been charged with an ammo feeding device capable of holding more than 10 rounds because she had enough dummy rounds linked to encircle her waist?

Are you calling her fat?

Vectrexer
11-01-2009, 10:53 PM
No, because mere possession of Large Capacity Mags is not illegal.

Are you sure? Shouldn't we have a law saying it's not illegal? ;)

Vectrexer
11-01-2009, 11:05 PM
BTW I could TOTALLY see my 6 year old carrying a .22 (empty) or 10 of em to school as he sees me collect my brass .223 and .40 all the time.

So he grabs the .22 thinking I need those as well. I explain they are garbage but he bags em up... So if he took it to school would that be bad? Nahhh

Come on OP

I will be proud to have my daughter carry around a spent casing. My point of asking the question in the beginning was to ask it in a way of this. What you you tell the child in order to inform on how to protect yourself from the anti-gunner view? Be it Principle, teacher, anti-gunner children, or any other radical looking to either make and example or just puch and agenda.

However maybe I shouldn't have asked the question. Merely asking the question in some ways speaks from a position of fear. I would rather have my daughter create news story from carrying a hunk of brass than standing back in fear of carrying around a spent shell casing to school.

phamkl
11-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Are you calling her fat?

Win.

gunsnrovers
11-02-2009, 5:13 AM
Tell the child it's not allowed at school and offer to take it from them. If you know the parents, let them know what you did.

The school's are out of control these days. My wife is a K~5 teacher in Inglewood with 20 years in the district. I taught for a while in the early 2000's. Our son is in K~5 LAUSD.

The policies are stupid. The total lack of common sense is frightening. It's laughable, but it's also pathetic.

That said, I don't see a reason to let a small child become a victim of stupid policies so we can point, laugh, and criticize the policies here. Step in and quietly remove the problem.

As adults, we can work to change things. No sense tossing a child into the mix unnecessarily.

Mayhem
11-02-2009, 9:24 AM
A few Years Back, My daughter took a Fake 9mm Cartridge to Jr. High school with her. She got caught showing it to friends. They wanted to Expel her for it.

Lonnie Cornell the VP at the time (Who is now the Vice Principal at Ceres High School) stated he was pro-gun and an NRA member told me agreed with the School Districts Zero Tolerance Policy. I looked at the bottom of the Bullet and Noticed there was no Primer. apparently this 9mm round was inert and came off of a key chain. I got the expulsion reduced to a 2 day suspension. The only reason she got suspended is because she (My daughter) thought the Cartridge was Real and Live.

My Daughter also told the school she found the bullet on the floor at home. I told Lonnie that I don't own a week anemic pansy firearm like a 9mm therefore I wouldn't have any 9mm rounds around my house because I don't have any. I also don't make it a habit to leave money on my floor therefore I don't leave ammo on the floor either.

I questioned my daughter about it She had actually picked it up off the floor of Barnwood arms in Ripon.

Although she never really got punished by me for taking the Cartridge to school. She got herself in Deep Dooh Dooh For Lying and in my Eyes stealing. She had to go back to barnwood and Explain herself to the manager. She got grounded for 2 weeks and got a bit of corporal punishment. Even barnwood seem to see no problem with it but I did as the inert cartridge wasn't hers she didn't earn or pay for it and it was not freely given to her. therefore in my eyes she stole it. The right thing to do woulda been pick it up and give it to one of the guys behind the counter.

In the entire discussion with Lonnie I got the feeling that he was little more then a liberal tool. Being closer to my daughters age then mine I felt he was to young and Inexperienced To form a True sense of right and wrong. Specially after telling me horror stories of poor high school kids getting Expelled and suspended from school as well as Dismissed from graduation and the prom for something as simple as having a spent shot gun shell hull in the floorboard of their pickup truck left over from Trap practice. Then Lonnie tells me he agree's with the policy - which makes out to be a tool to me.

Flash back to when I was in high school and you woulda seen a shotgun and/or Deer rifle in the back window of every pickup in the school parking lot.

The root of the problem is the media over sensationalism of high profile school shootings. While such incidents are rare and have very little impact on the crime rate or criminal death rate among children. The media makes it appear that these incidents are happening every where and all the time.

In reaction we have zero tolerance policies and Safety Zones that make it crime to posses a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school.

Now lets be honest Unless you have a Closed off campus with an armed cop or security officer on duty at the school there is very very little stop anyone from going onto the school and killing a half dozen or so students and staff.

If some one is bent on comminting Mass murder wich is probably the worse crime you can commit against a fellow human being and carries with it some of the harshest punishments you can get in todays justice system. They probably aren't to incredibly intimidated by school district policies and safety zones.

Violating School Policy = Expulsion at worse
Violating a Safety zone = 5 years at worse
1st Degree murder = Death or 25 to life in prison.

If some one is bent on killing a handful of his or her fellow students which one can be put to death for and in most cases they intend on taking their own life anyway, I don't think expulsion or 5 years in prison is going to deter them a whole lot.

But we tend to react to high profile crimes with do nothing feel good laws that have zero impact on the crimes they are intended to prevent but in fact make new crimes by duping unwary law abiding gun owners who are either unaware of the law or unaware of the schools location or boundary of the safe zone.

CPC 626.9 (k) This section does not require that notice be posted regarding the proscribed conduct.

Again a reactionary feel good do nothing law, the more often then not punishes or restricts the law abiding gun owner rather then actually doing something to stop a criminal from committing a heinous crime.

Liberalism is mostly about "the minority at the expense of the Majority". Liberalism is always about "at the expense of the majority".

We see this in every aspect.

Protect the Minority at the expense of the majority - Laws regarding underage abortion and notification of parents. your 12 year old daughter can get knocked up, Leave school, and have an abortion. You the parent by law are not to be notified. She can't get a piercing tattoo or filling without your knowledge AND consent but she can leave school and have an abortion with neither. All to protect a very handful of pregnant underage girls (and in some cases their molesters) from a very small minority of parents that may react badly, at the expense of every Californian's parental rights.

Protection from the minority again at the expense of the Majority. - Gun Control in California allegedly protection from Criminals - the minority at the expense of the Law abiding gun owners - the majority

Benefit or recognize the Minority at the expense of the Majority. - Harvey Milk Day, San Fransisco and the Gay/lesbian community - the minorities forcing there view and agenda on the rest of the state - the Majority. Making us recognize a person who in all honesty didn't do jack for California - and who's only claim to fame was being a Gay CITY council man from San Fransisco that got shot and killed for being at the wrong place at the wrong time - He wasn't even killed because he was gay . If California wanted to Recognize a gay/lesbian person there where allot better choices. San Fransisco wanted a Harvey Milk day they should have voted and enacted it at the city level. Considering Harvey Milks background it has the potential to be Called "Sex Offender Day" If people are correct he was convicted sex offender.

Another issue we have in California is that way politic zones are drawn up this state is ruled by Big liberal cities like S.F. and L.A.

HUTCH 7.62
11-02-2009, 9:26 AM
Whats the problem, I once brought a 20mm dummy round into school for show and tell.

Super Spy
11-02-2009, 9:32 AM
I had a bullet keychain in school and carried a pocketknife......almost all the boys and many of the girls carried knives. Half the trucks in the parking lot had gun racks.....many were occupied. No one got stabbed or shot in school.

I would tell my son not to bring it with him to school because I know what schools in CA are like. If he wanted to bring something cool for show and tell I'd give him the 76mm casing......

Mikeb
11-02-2009, 9:42 AM
What would you do ?

Well the right thing is obvious...
1) call out the swat team
2) lock down the school
3) Search all the students
4) search all the homes within 1000 yards
5)Set up counciling for all the students of the school
6) Incarcerate the "trouble maker" untill thier 21st birthday.

If you need help solving problems like this in the future just go yo your local school board.
take care
Mike

professorhard
11-02-2009, 9:44 AM
I would take it from him and reload it.

HUTCH 7.62
11-02-2009, 10:27 AM

LOL:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

MasterYong
11-02-2009, 12:18 PM

I did the same thing.

Then, in Junior high, I wore a belt made of inert bullets. I had bullets on key chains hanging from my backpack.

In elementary school I used to take toy guns to school every day and play with them in the school yard.

In high school I carried a knife every day (original Benchmade stryker).

I'm only 25.

It sad to see what kids have to go through. God knows why my schools were different. COlumbine took place when I was in 7th grade though so maybe that had something to do with all the changes.

Dragunov
11-02-2009, 12:23 PM

My 14yr old Daughter wears a spent .50BMG casing around her neck, wears an SKS T-shirt and openly talks about firearms and 2A issues in school when appropriate during class time. There has never been a problem. Keep in mind though,

She goes to a CHARTER high school, not a public one.

I wouldn't try this in a public school.

DarkHorse
11-02-2009, 3:33 PM
What about the most obvious question of them all...hey kid can you get any more of these? You all are reloaders right? I mean really...free brass. ;)

Depends, is it in a caliber I reload?:chris:

My first train of thought as well.

DarkHorse
11-02-2009, 3:35 PM
I did the same thing.

Then, in Junior high, I wore a belt made of inert bullets. I had bullets on key chains hanging from my backpack.

In elementary school I used to take toy guns to school every day and play with them in the school yard.

In high school I carried a knife every day (original Benchmade stryker).

I'm only 25.

It sad to see what kids have to go through. God knows why my schools were different. COlumbine took place when I was in 7th grade though so maybe that had something to do with all the changes.

Also, consider WHERE you went to school. I went to public school in a large metropolitan area, and all of the things you mentioned would have been against our school policy. I'm not much older than you.

dantodd
11-02-2009, 4:27 PM
Obviously the only right answer is ask if his daddy can come out and play.

VW*Mike
11-02-2009, 6:18 PM
I got caught in the sixth grade in Math class when a bunch of shells I picked up in the desert out shooting with the family fell out of my back pack in the middle of class when I was getting a book out. This was Long Beach circa 1980's, the teacher took them away (more since it caused a distraction then anything) and that was that. Times have changed.

If it were me, I wouldn't really care. Whats a kid gonna do, throw them? I would be more affraid of a 900 page textbook.

LadyShooter
11-02-2009, 6:51 PM
My nephew was suspended a week for making a gun with his fingers. He was in kindergarten. Our family was shocked that such a young child could be suspended. He was playing a game with his friends on the playground, and one other boy was suspended also. We made it clear to him and all the other children in the family that we believed the school policy is wrong. He did nothing wrong, but would still have to moderate his behavior to accomodate the school if he wanted to stay out of their radar. This was over 10 years ago and our school district still has the same policies.

After spending several fun days in the desert shooting with our kids we went to Hawaii. Our 4 year old daughter took several shell casings through SFO airport security :eek:. It was not detected by security either out going or on the return trip. My husband caught her playing with a 9mm casing which he nonchalantly disposed of at the gate. I searched for more but did not discover her other stash until passing through security in Hawaii. I found in her jacket pocket a 556, and couple more 9's which I disposed of at the gate. I went through a full range of emotions from anxiety of what could of happened to us, relief that nothing did, and anger that it wasn't detected so-are we really more protected? I know this story is slightly off topic, but this led to some interesting discussions within our home. Oh, and we homeschool.

bomb_on_bus
11-02-2009, 7:00 PM
I would believe that its harmless.

I used to do it all the time as a kid as a show n tell with my buddies to get em to go shooting with me and my dad.

Needless to say theres a lot of shooters and hunters running around because of childhood curiosity.

If its a spent casing its harmless, what it boils down to is why did he bring it to school? Braggin rights maybe IMO.

voere22
11-02-2009, 8:03 PM
who cares maybe hes a recycling nut like my kid and knows brass is worth more than aluminum. saving up for call of duty on play station. Get the the cops over and the poor kid will be in cuffs and they can be heros for saving the school from emanate danger.

7x57
11-02-2009, 8:04 PM
My nephew was suspended a week for making a gun with his fingers. He was in kindergarten.

My boy's teachers know that I expect him to use two hands. :D

7x57

HondaMasterTech
11-02-2009, 8:11 PM
My nephew was suspended a week for making a gun with his fingers. He was in kindergarten. Our family was shocked that such a young child could be suspended. He was playing a game with his friends on the playground, and one other boy was suspended also. We made it clear to him and all the other children in the family that we believed the school policy is wrong. He did nothing wrong, but would still have to moderate his behavior to accomodate the school if he wanted to stay out of their radar...

I agree with that. My son hasn't been suspended for anything like that, but I have already talked with him about the current state of things.

ironcross
11-02-2009, 8:47 PM
When I was in 6th grade, it was right after Columbine and a kid thought it was cool to bring 2 unloaded pistol mags. Needless to say he was expelled and got a free ride home by the Sheriff's Department.

kperry
11-02-2009, 8:55 PM
Des Moines school suspends girl over empty gun shells (http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20091028/NEWS/910280363/1001/NEWS)
Heh - just noticed the byline on the article - Gunnar Olson.
'Zero Tolerance' policies have left no space for common sense, and I'll dare say that they've likely spawned more lawsuits than they've avoided.

luckystrike
11-03-2009, 2:12 AM
kinda off topic, but im not going to start a thread over it, so im going to share.
when I was a freshman at a HS in South OC, I had a friend that was a senior and he liked to go around campus and light trashcans on fire and walk away-LOL but one day he decided to light one up in the cafeteria that unknowingly had a half-full can of AXE body spray in it. It obviously made a big boom and set off the sprinklers, everyone knew who did it but when the school officals were informed, well guess what, they were so scared and thought it was a bomb. 45 mins later SWAT in EOD type suits enter in his 5th period class with MP5s trained up. talk about a california-freakout......

MasterYong
11-03-2009, 5:29 AM
Also, consider WHERE you went to school. I went to public school in a large metropolitan area, and all of the things you mentioned would have been against our school policy. I'm not much older than you.

The high school I went to had about 2100 students, so I guess it wasn't that big. The thing is that technically ALL of the things I mentioned were against school policy but no one enforced the policy because they knew it was stupid. I carried a knife every day in high school while one of my buddies was expelled for having a knife, because he threatened someone with it. I didn't get hassled because I had a 4.05 GPA and a clean record. I don't understand all the fuss with all the rules really... school shootings are few and far between compared to other crimes and they only happen as often as they do because teachers aren't allowed to carry...

MasterYong
11-03-2009, 5:30 AM
kinda off topic, but im not going to start a thread over it, so im going to share.
when I was a freshman at a HS in South OC, I had a friend that was a senior and he liked to go around campus and light trashcans on fire and walk away-LOL but one day he decided to light one up in the cafeteria that unknowingly had a half-full can of AXE body spray in it. It obviously made a big boom and set off the sprinklers, everyone knew who did it but when the school officals were informed, well guess what, they were so scared and thought it was a bomb. 45 mins later SWAT in EOD type suits enter in his 5th period class with MP5s trained up. talk about a california-freakout......

weird... I had a friend that lit a trash can on fire ONCE in junior high and not only was he immediately expelled, he went to juvie... arson has a hefty penalty I hear...

SAN compnerd
11-03-2009, 9:24 AM
These are MY tax dollars at work and I want MORE say in what 'values' the school teaches. This is a great case for home schooling or vouchers. Zero tollerance and GFSZ are totally ineffective measures put in place after tragedies that happend years ago and would have ZERO effect on preventing another such tragedy. Some education would work wonders, but it will be years, if ever, that people realize that demonizing guns and ammo and makinging them 'forbiden' to young children actually make the children more interested and drawn to them. Without supervision and training/education, its a recipe for disaster. Think prohibition and how effective that was.

CowboyShooter
11-03-2009, 9:40 AM
shhhhhhhhhhhhh....

don't tell Assemblymember DeLeon.... if kids are playing close
to empty shell casings, he may sponsor legislation to restrict the
sale of ammo in CA.

oh, wait.....

he already did that.

:mad:

Californio
11-03-2009, 9:50 AM
When I was in grade school, I was a Cub Scout. Once a week we wore our uniforms to school and had an after school activity. The uniform consisted of a knife clipped on a right side belt clip. I do not remember one accident or improper use of a Cub Scout knife at school from any of the 20 or so Cub Scouts. We also rotated with the Boy Scouts raising the Flag each day with the whole school grades 1-8 at attention, kindergarten was exempt.

I still own that knife. Boy Scout Jamboree was an amazing time of fun and learning.

This all took place in West Los Angeles. I had a bow/arrow at home and latter a pellet gun and .22 rifle all under my control.

What has changed since the 1960's. Fathers no longer work with their kids to teach them wilderness skills, weapons etiquette and safety. Schools no longer teach national pride and social responsibility. Generations of government weaned children do not know anything but entitlement.

The radicals got what they wanted and it has destroyed America.

Bring back the past and America will be refreshed and restored.

Public Schools have become little Red Schools Houses of indoctrination.

SJgunguy24
11-03-2009, 10:11 AM

You have never met Mrs Wildhawker before. Sharp as a razor and beautiful.

"Constant harassing and snide remarks..."

If you want to be a shallow asshat and insult our community, expect to see me around.

Oh, and you're really not my type. I really do appreciate intelligence in my companions.

Brandon.....has done a lot to help out Calguns and if he didn't get the ball rolling the gunshow booths may have not got off the ground.
He and the Mrs put many hours and miles to help our cause, and if he takes offense then i'll stand with him in the fight.:thumbsup:

M9Man
11-03-2009, 1:04 PM
Had something kind of similar happen just the other day I was walking across my college campus about to enter the math building and a guy standing out front dropped a loaded 12 gauge shell of dob right in front of me. It kind of took me back I slid my EDC blade into my hand and walk past the guy and watched him for a minute to if I could get any kind of read off his intentions. I came to realize he was just waiting for someone and was fijiting with the shell because he was bored. Was I over reacting?

locosway
11-03-2009, 1:29 PM
Had something kind of similar happen just the other day I was walking across my college campus about to enter the math building and a guy standing out front dropped a loaded 12 gauge shell of dob right in front of me. It kind of took me back I slid my EDC blade into my hand and walk past the guy and watched him for a minute to if I could get any kind of read off his intentions. I came to realize he was just waiting for someone and was fijiting with the shell because he was bored. Was I over reacting?

Well... You did nothing wrong, nor did you overreact, but I say this cautiously, and only say this because of our current state of mind.

It's not "normal" to see gun paraphernalia on a campus, so when we do see it, we get a red flag. Now, if you were an administrator, this red flag would lead to questioning the student and so on.

So, the way we remove that red flag is to make it common once again. Allowing students to protect themselves on campus is much needed.

MasterYong
11-03-2009, 2:04 PM

Yes and no. While I find it extremely troubling that you'd feel so threatened by a shotgun shell, I would only say you overreacted if you took action like say, called the authorities.

It's a sad state of affairs that even gun owners get freaked out by the mere sight of a shotgun shell. I found one in my glove compartment the other day and though "I don't even know how that GOT there!"

It'd good that you're on your toes though. Condition yellow is good. Had you gone straight to red I'd be concerned.

tacticalcity
11-03-2009, 2:16 PM
I'd take it away, and tell them not to bring it to school again. I'd call the parents and ask them about their child’s access to firearms / ammo and inform them that such things showing up at school raise questions about the child’s safety and the safety of other students. If the parents reassured me the child simply got a hold of some harmless trash, and that they will educate their child even further about gun safety and staying away from ammunition I would accept it and I would be very polite, while letting know I'm concerned and will be keeping a close eye on the child. If they got defensive and copped an attitude I would call CPS and suspend the child. It's all in how the parents react. If they act like parents, problem solved. If they act like idiots...I have to take drastic action.

Make no mistake, no matter how benign; gun paraphernalia has no place in schools…especially in the hands of a child. It most certainly could be a sign of something more sever occuring in the future. You just don't know until you look into it.

A lot of parents simply refuse to raise their kids and are really the problem. If they refuse to be a parent, what choice does the administrator have? Last thing we need is another incident at a school of all places.

Now, I am not saying this is the case. Schools have gotten suspension happy in the past few years. It is just as likely a school official simply took the most expedient avenue they had and could care less what effect this would have on the child.

Parents who don't act like parents and school officials who don't care about the kids are common place these days. It is a very sad state of affairs.

M9Man
11-03-2009, 2:50 PM
Well what went racing through my mind is if has ammo does that mean he has a gun on him and if he does why does he? I mean I could care less he had the shell, but what the shell possibly implied bothered me. I mean what if he was armed and started shooting for who knows why another sick messed up kid off his meds. Would you ever forgive yourself if that happened and you saw the evidence of it unfolding and had ample means to prevent it and ignored the situation?

jdberger
11-03-2009, 3:01 PM
How about exposure to lead?

My kids help me to reload. They wear gloves along with the usual eye-pro.

They don't handle tumbling media or other potential toxics.

LIke it or not, lead toxicity is a real danger.

MasterYong
11-03-2009, 3:18 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen! I give you the EXACT thought process, step by step, that goes through the gun-grabbers minds every time they're supporting Gun Control:

Well what went racing through my mind is if has ammo does that mean he has a gun on him and if he does why does he? I mean I could care less he had the shell, but what the shell possibly implied bothered me. I mean what if he was armed and started shooting for who knows why another sick messed up kid off his meds. Would you ever forgive yourself if that happened and you saw the evidence of it unfolding and had ample means to prevent it and ignored the situation?

At the very least that thought process should end with: "Dammit! If only I were allowed to CCW on campus hen I could have prevented that horrible tragedy! What if everyone was carrying, open OR concealed??? We could have banded together like HUMAN BEINGS and stopped that monster!"

:D

professionalcoyotehunter
11-03-2009, 3:27 PM
I would wear a inert shell casing necklace to school with nothing ever said.

M9Man
11-03-2009, 4:24 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen! I give you the EXACT thought process, step by step, that goes through the gun-grabbers minds every time they're supporting Gun Control:

At the very least that thought process should end with: "Dammit! If only I were allowed to CCW on campus hen I could have prevented that horrible tragedy! What if everyone was carrying, open OR concealed??? We could have banded together like HUMAN BEINGS and stopped that monster!"

:D

Amen Brother! :D cuz if he was a shooter 4inch gerber vs sawed off 12guage would of gotten ugly :eek:.

HUTCH 7.62
11-03-2009, 9:24 PM
I'd send him to military school cause he pissed me off with this on going discussion

tenpercentfirearms
11-03-2009, 10:27 PM
The safety of the other children is paramount. I would turn him in and hopefully our zero tolerance policy would remind him of the consequences of playing with shell casings. You can never be too careful as you never know who the next school shooter may be.

I especially fear kids who wear guns on their t-shirts. They are a sure sign of a school shooter and am glad our dean goes after them.

stan
11-03-2009, 11:01 PM

i think we went to the same HS, and as i recall there was a large crowd around the flaming trashcan, which dispersed quite quickly after the axe-bomb :rolleyes: when you put ink-ejecting devices on the fire alarms, the natural progression is to justify pulling the alarms :43:

i never heard what ended up happening to him after that whole deal though. i can't imagine they were very nice about it.

CoCoCountyShooter
11-03-2009, 11:09 PM
I personally don't see anything wrong with it but going by how schools are nowadays, that kid could get into some serious trouble.

My kid can't even bring a toy that resembles a gun in his school. That's whether it fires a projectile or not. That's how scared these liberals are. I've actually been tempted to send my kid to class with a NRA t-shirt on just to see. Fortunate for them I don't see it as morally right to use my kid for political advertisement.

Dragunov
11-19-2009, 6:33 PM
The safety of the other children is paramount. I would turn him in and hopefully our zero tolerance policy would remind him of the consequences of playing with shell casings. You can never be too careful as you never know who the next school shooter may be.

I especially fear kids who wear guns on their t-shirts. They are a sure sign of a school shooter and am glad our dean goes after them.

Wow! Better stay away from my kids school then. She's not the only right winged gun nut there as her english teacher found out by stupidly bringing up the "GunsAreEvil!!!" argument. The kids ALL chewed him up!!

cactus
11-19-2009, 6:52 PM
Im I the only one who remembers seeing and leaving shot guns in the rear window truck rack at the high school parking lot? Dove season it was common place at our school here in California. I have a 7 year old that saves a shell casing or two after a day of shooting for the memories and to show his friends. Many a great conversations and memories have been started and shared by " hey dad remember when we shot the ( insert caliber ) at ( insert place )" as hes holding said casing. Its crazy a kid cant show and tell of a great time and skill he may have with an item that posses no danger with out fear of repercussion.

five.five-six
11-19-2009, 6:54 PM

make sure he sized, trimmed it and cleaned the primer pocket b4 charging it?

technique
11-19-2009, 7:08 PM
No big deal...
Its a casing, who cares.
I had a necklace I wore from elementary to high school...constantly added to.
It included all the cases from rounds I fired to kill game.
Hell, it even included body parts , pieces of antler, hog tusk,
quail beak, claws...

I still have it!

NavalWarfare31
11-19-2009, 7:14 PM
I remember back in the 2nd or 3rd grade, we had show and tell. One kid's dad was a Vietnam Vet and he brought in 5 or 6 rounds of linked 7.62 ammo. The teacher even had him pass it around the room so we could all see. Another kids dad was an FBI agent and his dad did a presentation on the FBI and such, he let us hold his unloaded 38, and I think passed a few bullets around.

I am only 36 years old. I grew up in Illinois near Chicago. What is happening? This is kid bringing an empty case is a non issue. Period.

Meplat
11-19-2009, 7:55 PM
This is why the marxists are burying us, by controlling the schools and education unions. Americans don't even know who they are anymore.:(

MasterYong
11-20-2009, 6:11 AM

Surely you jest. :D

Decoligny
11-20-2009, 7:44 AM
This zero tolerance crap is just that, crap.

A spent casing is just a small piece of metal. No different than a used metal screw off pop bottle cap. Both are cylindrical pieces of metal that have already served their purpose and been discarded.

Might as well suspend a kid for wearing a belt to school, because we all know that a belt is the most common place to attach a holster, and a gun goes into a holster. Therefore, a belt is obviously a firearm accessory.

VegasND
11-20-2009, 6:59 PM
Since you guys are reviving a moribund thread; if you read my posts you probably know where I stand on this. But, to make my feelings perfectly clear: I bring the flyers I get from places like CDNN, CenterfireSystems, J&G, etc. to school and let my students use them for free reading or any other legitimate way they want. Nobody at my school gives me any grief over guns...

Several have made it home to share with parents. I've discussed shooting and hunting with quite a few students because of it. Currently, one kid is using his free time to study for his hunter safety class.

Asphodel
11-20-2009, 8:13 PM
As can so easily be seen here on this site, its not just the schools, altho the stories of irrational school administrations are bad enough.

We have a government which has evolved into a condition resembling some sort of psychosis.....as evidence, have a look at the 'Assault Weapon Flow Charts' on this site.

As we can see by those, trivial details, having no plausible relationship to criminal intent, can make the difference between an individual being considered 'a law-abiding citizen', or 'a felon'. As we can read, here, individuals who were not guilty of any real crime have had their lives and fortunes destroyed by the abuse of political power.

Presumably, the use of irrational school policies to intimidate children is a way to prepare them for life under a 'psychotic' government?

cheers

Carla