PDA

View Full Version : Need to register a newly built OLL?

OHW
11-01-2009, 4:18 PM
I am one step away from completing my first EBR. Is there any legal need to have the completed gun registered? If so whom do I need to contact for this?

umoja
11-01-2009, 4:20 PM
Unless you're building an assault weapon as defined by the law, I don't think there is any registration required...

Are you building it from a lower that you've already been DROSed for or an 80% lower or something?

wildhawker
11-01-2009, 4:22 PM
No; however, you may find it useful to download or purchase an OLL book and flowchart for your reference in case you are interested in OLL-specific info.

wildhawker
11-01-2009, 4:25 PM
Unless you're building an assault weapon as defined by the law, I don't think there is any registration required...

Are you building it from a lower that you've already been DROSed for or an 80% lower or something?

There is currently no open reg period for AWs; please do not assemble any assault weapons from a OLL.

The second question is irrelevant to the OP's inquiry.

umoja
11-01-2009, 4:29 PM
There is currently no open reg period for AWs; please do not assemble any assault weapons from a OLL.

The second question is irrelevant to the OP's inquiry.

I didn't mean to imply that, and as to the second question I was just curious.

CavTrooper
11-01-2009, 4:29 PM
You need to send it to me, along with 100 rounds of ammunition, for inspection, certification and registration.

Oh yeah, I forgot to include the $50 processing fee( I need gas to get to the range and lunch afterwards.). PM me for shipping information.

Librarian
11-01-2009, 4:35 PM
Nice try, Cav ... :D

Non 'assault weapon' rifles are not 'registered' in CA; CA does not collect or store serial number, caliber or manufacturer info on long guns in the DROS process.

CavTrooper
11-01-2009, 4:37 PM
Nice try, Cav ... :D

Wat?! :43:

OHW
11-01-2009, 4:53 PM
Since the OLL is built with a BB, any final product is GTG. DROS is complete and that is the end of my contact with the powers that be, right?

dantodd
11-01-2009, 4:57 PM
Since the OLL is built with a BB, any final product is GTG. DROS is complete and that is the end of my contact with the powers that be, right?

You should really read up on these forums and download the AW flowchart as Wildhawker suggested. There are ways in which a bb OLL can be mis-configured and trigger assault weapons charges. OLLs are awesome and a ton of fun to shoot but they are not without their risks. One of those risks is a cop not knowing the law and having the flowchart with the PC code may help you show the cop that your gun is legal.

Welcome to CalGuns. This is the site that you want if you are interested in helping to change the laws that make things like this so difficult.

OHW
11-01-2009, 5:04 PM
You should really read up on these forums and download the AW flowchart as Wildhawker suggested. There are ways in which a bb OLL can be mis-configured and trigger assault weapons charges. OLLs are awesome and a ton of fun to shoot but they are not without their risks. One of those risks is a cop not knowing the law and having the flowchart with the PC code may help you show the cop that your gun is legal.

Welcome to CalGuns. This is the site that you want if you are interested in helping to change the laws that make things like this so difficult.

I have the flow chart and a page of the Sac. Sherriffs memo printed to take with the gun whenever it leaves the house. I need to find the DL book. Got a link?

As far as misconfigured goes, I will not have more than 10round mags or a barrel less than 16 inches. Its OAL will be 30inches or more. Anything I'm forgetting?

Cokebottle
11-01-2009, 5:10 PM
I have the flow chart and a page of the Sac. Sherriffs memo printed to take with the gun whenever it leaves the house. I need to find the DL book. Got a link?

As far as misconfigured goes, I will not have more than 10round mags or a barrel less than 16 inches. Its OAL will be 30inches or more. Anything I'm forgetting?
For one, make sure it is over 30" and barrel over 16" in it's shortest operable condition, IE, stock fully collapsed or folded and muzzle device removed if it is not welded/pinned in place.

Removable muzzle devices are fine and count toward 922(r) compliance on imported weapons, but they cannot be used to calculate OAL or barrel length.

Dr Rockso
11-01-2009, 6:19 PM
Removable muzzle devices are fine and count toward 922(r) compliance on imported weapons, but they cannot be used to calculate OAL or barrel length.
They can't be used to calculate barrel length, they can be used to calculate overall length.

Mstrty
11-01-2009, 6:49 PM
They can't be used to calculate barrel length, they can be used to calculate overall length.

^^^+1