PDA

View Full Version : American Rifleman

dwtt
11-01-2009, 1:04 PM
Has anyone else noticed American Rifleman is writing better articles in the last few months? In the Nov issue they have an article on hunting with AR rifles. That's really going to shock the Zumbos out there. They also had an article on handgun trigger mechanisms and a "Technical Exploded View" article on the Armalite M-15A2 carbine. I don't know if the NRA changed their brand of bottled water or what, but I like the changes.

Fjold
11-01-2009, 3:01 PM
It's a conscious change. The NRA is trying to educate some of the Elmer Fudd types.

forgiven
11-01-2009, 3:22 PM
Be very very quiet, I'm hunting wabbit.

aceventura
11-01-2009, 4:29 PM
The past couple of issues have been keepers for me. Previous issues, I would flip through the rifleman and within 5 minutes get rid of it. I hope they keep it up!

The Director
11-01-2009, 4:41 PM
It's great. EBR's within every issue seems like.

Steyrlp10
11-01-2009, 4:49 PM
Alas, I'm still looking at the pics. My single brain cell is limited to this site - lol

CHS
11-01-2009, 6:47 PM
I'd really love if they started doing some articles on the work that California is doing, and California-legal guns and how to help us out.

It might get some of those A-holes on gunbroker to change their mind when they think they're somehow supporting the 2A by blocking sales to CA.

gregorylucas
11-01-2009, 7:11 PM
I really enjoyed the recent article about barrel cleaning in American Rifleman, it answered several questions that I have had years. I also enjoyed the article on the history of the 7mm Mauser, the picture that started the article reminded me of some pictures of my ancestors! :D

joepamjohn
11-01-2009, 8:07 PM
I have a few (10-12) of old American Rifleman mags from the 30's and 40's including the issue with John Garand showing his "new rifle".These have good gun articles from a time when there wasn't much "anti gun" movement and BS restrictions. I will give them to anyone that wants them. Shoot me an PM.

This maybe the wrong forum to post this but it's the right subject, and someone may want them.

Requiem
11-01-2009, 8:36 PM
I have a few (10-12) of old American Rifleman mags from the 30's and 40's including the issue with John Garand showing his "new rifle".These have good gun articles from a time when there wasn't much "anti gun" movement and BS restrictions. I will give them to anyone that wants them. Shoot me an PM.

This maybe the wrong forum to post this but it's the right subject, and someone may want them.

WOW! That's a piece of history right there!

BigDogatPlay
11-01-2009, 9:09 PM
Some of the Outdoor Channel / Sportsman Channel programs have been making several good plays on EBRs for target / competition / hunting / varminting over the past few months. There seems to be a very conscious effort to educate that the AR pattern rifle, and other EBRs, have uses besides those usually trumpeted by the Brady acolytes.

Educating the Zumbos out there is something that needs to be done. They need to be dragged, kicking and screaming if necessary, to the notion that a gun is a gun and that the Brady gang will not stop until they have them all.

Clayface
11-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Yeah, there pretty good. A while ago they had a write up on the smith and wesson 460 that blew me away. Oh don't forget to mention the self defense stories they have in there , there also good.

Mitch
11-02-2009, 6:27 AM
That's really going to shock the Zumbos out there.

I'm so pleased to see I'm not the only one who uses this term in this way.

SgtDinosaur
11-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Yes, I noticed it. Good stuff.

gdun
11-02-2009, 7:01 PM
my facorite part of the magazine is the "armed citizen" where it tells accounts of people using a gun to save their life against criminals

Mute
11-02-2009, 7:10 PM
I've notice a steady increase in the variety of firearms that are covered, including less PC types (EBRs and the like). It's a good change.

tankerman
11-02-2009, 9:22 PM
Has anyone else noticed American Rifleman is writing better articles in the last few months? In the Nov issue they have an article on hunting with AR rifles.
Are the articles better, because hunting with an AR makes you a better hunter?

jordan870
11-03-2009, 6:57 AM
i get the American hunter by the NRA also and there doing the same sort of things its interesting

dwtt
11-03-2009, 1:03 PM
Are the articles better, because hunting with an AR makes you a better hunter?

I think the articles are better because they're holding my attention more. :)
The articles are more substantial and not as topical as before. This month they had an article on barrel cleaning and breakin, as well as an article on pistol trigger mechanisms clearifying the meaning of DA, SA, DAO, and DA/SA triggers. The articles are putting out more information than previous issues.
Last month's issue had an article on pistol shooting technique and one on the M4 carbine. I like the recent changes and hope it continues. I'm sure some of the articles will upset the Zumbos with country club attitudes who think the 2nd A is about hunting, but those people are a small minority of the gun owning public.

tankerman
11-03-2009, 5:47 PM
I think the articles are better because they're holding my attention more. :)
The articles are more substantial and not as topical as before. This month they had an article on barrel cleaning and breakin, as well as an article on pistol trigger mechanisms clearifying the meaning of DA, SA, DAO, and DA/SA triggers. The articles are putting out more information than previous issues.
Last month's issue had an article on pistol shooting technique and one on the M4 carbine. I like the recent changes and hope it continues. I'm sure some of the articles will upset the Zumbos with country club attitudes who think the 2nd A is about hunting, but those people are a small minority of the gun owning public.Judging by your comments you haven't been reading NRA publications for very long. Your "Zumbo" is a poor attempt at pretending to be a high brow/smug, yet knowledgeable shooter and gunowner and is really an indicator of 'newbness'. The NRA has published a variety articles and books on ALL aspects of firearms use and ownership for a very long time.

100's of articles on how to swap out a snap-on AR component is just as boring as reading another article on another manufacturer coming out with a 1911.

Before you stick your foot in your mouth and call me a "Zumbo", I own AR's, AK's, 1911's, polymer pistols, revolvers, bolt guns, lever actions, single shots, BP, etc.....I prefer not to be myopic, variety is where it's at...for me.

If your truly interested in learning real useful info about firearms, read books. (to quote Homer Simpson "magazines are just like books...without the hard words")

Perhaps you should learn a little NRA history before you bash the NRA.

trautert
11-03-2009, 6:04 PM
Anybody else notice that both Remington and Smith and Wesson are producing AR looking firearms models now? Think that might have anything to do with all of this?

Shotgun Man
11-03-2009, 6:40 PM
They're definitely pushing ARs, encouraging everyone to get them. I think it is a tactic to impede any future AW bans, or maybe even to repeal some existing ones.

Shotgun Man
11-03-2009, 6:42 PM
I really enjoyed the recent article about barrel cleaning in American Rifleman, it answered several questions that I have had years. I also enjoyed the article on the history of the 7mm Mauser, the picture that started the article reminded me of some pictures of my ancestors! :D

I loved that barrel cleaning article also. I'm gonna relax a lot more about cleaning my bore.

Mitch
11-04-2009, 7:19 AM
They're definitely pushing ARs, encouraging everyone to get them. I think it is a tactic to impede any future AW bans, or maybe even to repeal some existing ones.

Remington is now owned by the same company that owns DPMS and Bushmaster, so given the immense popularity of ARs these days, it was a no-brainer for them to start offering their own models.

Dr. Peter Venkman
11-04-2009, 8:25 AM
Maybe the companies writing the articles for them have hired better writers.

Angie
11-04-2009, 8:29 AM
my facorite part of the magazine is the "armed citizen" where it tells accounts of people using a gun to save their life against criminals

Mine too :)
Though I always wish I'd see more from California. :o

Mitch
11-04-2009, 8:31 AM
Maybe the companies writing the articles for them have hired better writers.

Ouch!

truthseeker
11-04-2009, 8:59 AM
Judging by your comments you haven't been reading NRA publications for very long. Your "Zumbo" is a poor attempt at pretending to be a high brow/smug, yet knowledgeable shooter and gunowner and is really an indicator of 'newbness'. The NRA has published a variety articles and books on ALL aspects of firearms use and ownership for a very long time.

100's of articles on how to swap out a snap-on AR component is just as boring as reading another article on another manufacturer coming out with a 1911.

Before you stick your foot in your mouth and call me a "Zumbo", I own AR's, AK's, 1911's, polymer pistols, revolvers, bolt guns, lever actions, single shots, BP, etc.....I prefer not to be myopic, variety is where it's at...for me.

If your truly interested in learning real useful info about firearms, read books. (to quote Homer Simpson "magazines are just like books...without the hard words")

Perhaps you should learn a little NRA history before you bash the NRA.

You sound like grandpa talking to his newb grandson about firearms.

Mitch
11-04-2009, 9:18 AM
Judging by your comments you haven't been reading NRA publications for very long. Your "Zumbo" is a poor attempt at pretending to be a high brow/smug, yet knowledgeable shooter and gunowner and is really an indicator of 'newbness'. The NRA has published a variety articles and books on ALL aspects of firearms use and ownership for a very long time.

I have been reading the Rifleman, off and on, for 30 years, so there are my credentials.

The other posters are right: only relatively recently has the Rifleman been giving much coverage to "tactical" firearms aside from military C&Rs. I disagree that tactical firearms are the "vast majority" of the market, but it is certainly and without a doubt the fastest growing part of the market, and probably the only area that will see substantial growth in the future. It is clear that the Rifleman editors, like the NSSF, are now starting to pick that up (advertising dollars doubtless also have something to do with this).

It was only six years ago that we were told we could not exhibit at SHOT Show outside the Law Enforcement section because the word "tactical" appeared in our company name. That was NSSF policy, but it was an attitude reflected in much of the editorial of the Rifleman at that time (again, aside from their coverage of historic small arms), and indeed the greater part of the firearms community and market. That is obviously changing now, at the Rifleman, with the NSSF, and among gun owners as a whole. Even Zumbo came on board, though it took a threat to his livelihood for him to get the message.

The Rifleman's changing editorial policy is not much of a reflection on the NRA as a whole, which as you say has many more facets than what can be found in the Rifleman. It wasn't too long ago that most of America's police officers received their firearms training from NRA certified instructors, and it doesn't get more tactical than that.

The term "Zumbo" refers to those outdoorsmen who would happily sell our gun rights down the river as long as they were left alone to kill animals with their wooden-stocked rifles and shotguns. There are lots of people like this out there, and Zumbo was one of them. If you aren't one of them then you obviously aren't a Zumbo and shouldn't take offense at the term.

tankerman
11-04-2009, 12:17 PM
It was only six years ago that we were told we could not exhibit at SHOT Show outside the Law Enforcement section because the word "tactical" appeared in our company name.
The conversation is about the NRA, not Shot Show.

There are lots of people like this out there, and Zumbo was one of them. If you aren't one of them then you obviously aren't a Zumbo and shouldn't take offense at the term.What I take offense to is intentionally divisive people taking pot shots at other gun owners because of the types of firearms the do, or do not own. Zumbos, Elmer Fudd, are not different than today's Tactical Paper-Punchers and Mall Ninjas. What's funny is listening to folks who's entire experience around firearms is limited to "EBR's" bag on hunters that own nothing more than hunting rifles and vice versa.......it's stupid, period.

People that think their better than others based on what firearms they own what they do with those firearms, are idiots.

CHS
11-04-2009, 12:20 PM
What I take offense to is intentionally divisive people taking pot shots at other gun owners because of the types of firearms the do, or do not own. Zumbos, Elmer Fudd, are not different than today's Tactical Paper-Punchers and Mall Ninjas. What's funny is listening to folks who's entire experience around firearms is limited to "EBR's" bag on hunters that own nothing more than hunting rifles and vice versa.......it's stupid, period.

Well, the difference is that in my experience, I see "Zumbo's" ragging on EBR and Mall Ninja people far more often and quicker than the opposite.

People that think their better than others based on what firearms they own what they do with those firearms, are idiots.

100% Agreed.

tankerman
11-04-2009, 12:24 PM
I disagree.
Use this board as an example.Well, the difference is that in my experience, I see "Zumbo's" ragging on EBR and Mall Ninja people far more often and quicker than the opposite.

Mitch
11-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Is it lunchtime where you are, too?

What I take offense to is intentionally divisive people taking pot shots at other gun owners because of the types of firearms the do, or do not own.

I don't care whether someone is a gun owner or not, the enemy is the enemy. As I said above, "the term 'Zumbo' refers to those outdoorsmen who would happily sell our gun rights down the river as long as they were left alone to kill animals with their wooden-stocked rifles and shotguns." Especially people who refer to AR-15s as "terrorist rifles," as Zumbo did.

Such people are no better than the Bradyites, and I bet you have a lot of funny names for them, too.

"Mall Ninja" is another useful phrase that describes a particular type. Such people probably aren't doing the gun rights movement any favors, but they aren't actively working against it, either.

Mitch
11-04-2009, 12:30 PM
I disagree.

So here's the original blog entry as a reminder:

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms. I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers." Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms." This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the prairies and woods.

Sarah Brady couldn't have said it better.

CHS
11-04-2009, 1:53 PM
I disagree.
Use this board as an example.

How on earth can you disagree with *MY* experiences? This is what I've experienced. I'm quoting fact at you. Maybe you've had a different experience? That's fine. But you're wrong to disagree with mine.

CHS
11-04-2009, 1:54 PM
Sarah Brady couldn't have said it better.

For the record, I love my terrorist rifles :)

dwtt
11-04-2009, 6:03 PM
What I take offense to is intentionally divisive people taking pot shots at other gun owners because of the types of firearms the do, or do not own. Zumbos, Elmer Fudd, are not different than today's Tactical Paper-Punchers and Mall Ninjas. What's funny is listening to folks who's entire experience around firearms is limited to "EBR's" bag on hunters that own nothing more than hunting rifles and vice versa.......it's stupid, period.

This is exactly what Zumbo did and this is why his name is a generic term for those gun owners who think the 2nd A is only about hunting and would like to see semiautomatic rifles banned. He called them terrorist rifles, and I am a terrorist by his definition.
It's interesting that noone actually called you a Zumbo, but you took great offense. Is there something about you we don't know that you want to share with us? The term Zumbo refers to those hunters who think the 2nd A is there to protect only them and their hunting rifles, and that other rifles don't deserve protection. I called this elitist attitude the country club attitude in an earlier post and it's summarized in your own words above. You shouldn't assume others have shot only black rifles just because they don't like the Zumbos in our midst.
As for American Rifleman, you should look at back issues from a few years ago and compare the articles to the Nov and Oct 2009 issues. There's a marked difference in the writing. Like another person here, I used to look through the AR for a few minutes then throw it into the recycling bin, even back in 1989 when I first joined the NRA. Now I find the articles interesting enough to read completely. Take a look at the latest issue and see for yourself.

Yes, I agree with you, "People that think their better than others based on what firearms they own what they do with those firearms, are idiots.", so do your best to educate any Zumbos you might encounter when you go hunting.

tankerman
11-04-2009, 7:19 PM
It's interesting that noone actually called you a Zumbo, but you took great offense. Is there something about you we don't know that you want to share with us? I take offense at your divisiveness..
So no, there's nothing I want to tell "us", because there is no "us", you're speaking for yourself not for "us". Rather I'll address you directly; You are just another Keyboard Commando.

MidnightSon117
11-04-2009, 8:18 PM

It may be boring information to you, but just because it's been printed before doesn't mean it shouldn't be printed again. Not everyone who picks up American Rifleman is going to be a veteran shooter.

I've been reading for about 7 years now, and the writing and layout has definitely gotten better recently. I can also say they're not just covering AR's.

tankerman
11-04-2009, 8:50 PM
Generally, I find the gun reviews boring (a lot of folks complain about this, not just in American Rifleman, but in most all gun mags), most seem like just another companies version of one of the standards and the reviews are often less than complete, failing to offer real performance data, or any objective info, rather they seem more like advertisements.

What I didn't like was the assumptions on the motives of the folks writing and editing for NRA publications, and the assumption that 'just now' they started printing quality info on care/maintenance, gunsmithing, reloading, firearm theory, construction etc...It may be boring information to you, but just because it's been printed before doesn't mean it shouldn't be printed again. Not everyone who picks up American Rifleman is going to be a veteran shooter.

I've been reading for about 7 years now, and the writing and layout has definitely gotten better recently. I can also say they're not just covering AR's.

dwtt
11-05-2009, 9:25 AM
I take offense at your divisiveness..
So no, there's nothing I want to tell "us", because there is no "us", you're speaking for yourself not for "us". Rather I'll address you directly; You are just another Keyboard Commando.

You're wrong. The Zumbos who think the 2nd Amendment only protects their guns are the dividers. Like I said earlier, if you should encounter a Zumbo, help out all gun owners by educating them about the 2nd A.
I can't be a keyboard commando, I don't have a tactical keyboard and mouse set up yet, but I do walk around in utilities, jungle boots, and black T-shirts. :rolleyes: