PDA

View Full Version : PPT of 50 year old shotgun ??'s

golfrj
11-01-2009, 1:03 PM
I have an old (maybe 75 years) but Cool Remington Model 11 (same as Browning Auto 5) that I am considering selling as I don't use it anymore, But would like to know the law on PPT of over 50 shotguns.. I have tried here and on DOJ but the searches are futile..:confused:
Thanks in advance for any comments, Jim

Librarian
11-01-2009, 1:06 PM
I have an old (maybe 75 years) but Cool Remington Model 11 (same as Browning Auto 5) that I am considering selling as I don't use it anymore, But would like to know the law on PPT of over 50 shotguns.. I have tried here and on DOJ but the searches are futile..:confused:
Thanks in advance for any comments, Jim

(Penal Code 12078(t)(2))

(2) Subdivision (d) and paragraph (1) of subdivision (f) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent sale, loan, or transfer of a firearm that is not a handgun, which is a curio or relic manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or its successor.

In short, you don't need to bother with FFLs for over-50 long guns for within-CA transfers.

ke6guj
11-01-2009, 1:09 PM
50+ year-old C&R long guns can be sold face-to-face between CA-residents wiithout having to use an FFL.

I want to sell a gun to another person, i.e., a private party transfer. Am I required to conduct the transaction through a licensed California firearms dealer?

Yes. Firearm sales must be conducted through a fully licensed California firearms dealer. Failure to do so is a violation of California law. The buyer (and seller, in the event that the; buyer is denied), must meet the normal firearm purchase and delivery requirements. "Antique firearms," as defined in Section 921(a)(16) of Title 18 of the United States Code, and curio or relic rifles/shotguns, defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations that are over 50 years old, are exempt from this requirement.

12078(t)(2) Subdivision (d) and paragraph (1) of subdivision (f) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent sale, loan, or transfer of a firearm that is not a handgun, which is a curio or relic manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or its successor.