PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a rifle?

ap3572001
11-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Are there FIRM LAWS/RULES on shipping a rifle out of state? It seems like every shop makes their own.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Are there FIRM LAWS/RULES on shipping a rifle out of state? It seems like every shop makes their own.

You can ship a rifle yourself using UPS, FedEx, FedEx Ground, or the USPS. It has to be shipped to an FFL in the other State in most cases. You can ship a gun you own to yourself in another State, in care of somebody else, if you are going to use the gun yourself for lawful sporting purposes while you are in that State.

ap3572001
11-01-2009, 12:18 PM
You can ship a rifle yourself using UPS, FedEx, FedEx Ground, or the USPS. It has to be shipped to an FFL in the other State in most cases. You can ship a gun you own to yourself in another State, in care of somebody else, if you are going to use the gun yourself for lawful sporting purposes while you are in that State.

Thank You!

Fjold
11-01-2009, 12:41 PM
You may also ship a firearm to a gunsmith or the manufacturer.

You can mail long guns to gunsmith and manufacturers.

paul0660
11-01-2009, 1:01 PM
Antique rifles, built before 1898, can be sent to anyone over the age of 17.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-01-2009, 1:29 PM
It has to be shipped to an FFL in the other State in most cases.

You may also ship a firearm to a gunsmith or the manufacturer.

You can mail long guns to gunsmith and manufacturers.

As long as they are licensed gunsmiths or licensed manufacturers (are an FFL).

Barney Gumble
11-01-2009, 2:25 PM
Handguns cannot be shipped USPS. Only UPS or FedEx. Every carrier has their own regulations and guidelines for shipping firearms, you can find them on their web site.

One additional piece of advice I would give is that regardless of whether the carrier you use says you have to declare firearms when you ship them, I don't do this because it tends to cause the person at the counter to freak out. For insurance purposes I describe the contents as "machine parts".

bwiese
11-02-2009, 11:16 AM
One additional piece of advice I would give is that regardless of whether the carrier you use says you have to declare firearms when you ship them, I don't do this because it tends to cause the person at the counter to freak out. For insurance purposes I describe the contents as "machine parts".

DON'T DO THIS.

If an issue occurs, it makes you look nefarious. Cute crap like this also may well play hell with getting a reimbursement if there's a problem.

Barney Gumble
11-02-2009, 3:55 PM
DON'T DO THIS.

If an issue occurs, it makes you look nefarious. Cute crap like this also may well play hell with getting a reimbursement if there's a problem.

We all have to do what we're comfortable with.

Rekrab
11-02-2009, 4:05 PM
Why not call it a "high-velocity repeating lead dispenser?" :)

anyracoon
11-02-2009, 7:54 PM
Not rob this thread but what is the best way to ship a rifle with in California to another person/FFL?

Mssr. Eleganté
11-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Not rob this thread but what is the best way to ship a rifle with in California to another person/FFL?

There is no "best way". You can use UPS, FedEx, FedEx Ground or the USPS. Use whichever carrier that has given you the best service in the past. UPS, FedEx Ground and the USPS will all be cheaper than FedEx. You may find that any one of the above carriers will not let you ship firearms or they will tell you that shipping firearms is illegal. This is just caused by local employees not knowing their own company policy. You can either try to work your way up the management chain until they let you ship a firearm or you can just move on to the next carrier and use them instead. If you are using UPS or either of the FedEx's, just be sure to ship from a real company owned shipping counter and not from an independent franchise store like "The UPS Store" or "FedEx Kinkos". FedEx and FedEx Ground both have company rules requiring that you ship firearms to an FFL. UPS and the USPS have company rules that allow you to ship firearms anywhere that is legal.

MustangGreg66
11-23-2009, 1:36 PM
Ok, so I'm in this position as well, shipping a rifle out of state. Has anyone found on carrier to be less expensive than another?

Also, what do I need to do to cover my butt shipping and transfering to an individual out of state? Should I get a copy of the receiving FFL's license first, is there paperwork I need to fill out to complete the transfer?

As for shipping I have left over original boxes from other rifles, cardboard with foam inside. Would that be good enough? Should I box up a actual rifle case and include that in the deal? Whats needed to keep a rifle with scope safe in transit?

paul0660
11-23-2009, 2:00 PM
To send a rifle that is not c&R out of state use this to check the FFL 01, and only send to that address. Most FFL 01's will not send you a copy of their license:

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

If it is a curio and relic you can send it to a FFL 01 or 03. A 03 should be willing to mail you a copy of their FFL signed in an ink other than black.

As far as packing goes, you have the materials at hand. Take the bolt out and wrap it separately so the handle doesn't poke through the box. I think I would send a nice scope separately. Take some digital photos of the items and the packaging when done and insure them.

MustangGreg66
11-23-2009, 2:49 PM
Thanks, that thing's pretty cool. I'll use that for sure. The scope is a Leupold Vx-I 3-9 so not a super expensive scope but I guess I'll give the buyer that option. It's a semi-auto so no bolt to poke out really, just a small stub. I guess I could do that separate if I really wanted to. I'll have to look at the materials I have.

CHS
11-23-2009, 2:53 PM
Keep in mind, ONLY licensee's are allowed to ship handguns via USPS. If you're not a licensed dealer or manufacturer you ARE PROHIBITED BY FEDERAL LAW to ship a handgun via the post office.

mystique
11-23-2009, 4:44 PM
Related question:
If I purchased a gun, be it a rifle or a handgun, in SoCal (FTF/PPT, or a gunshop) can I have the FFL ship it to me in NorCal after the 10 day hold? It will be the same address as what would be in the DROS.

CHS
11-23-2009, 5:16 PM
Related question:
If I purchased a gun, be it a rifle or a handgun, in SoCal (FTF/PPT, or a gunshop) can I have the FFL ship it to me in NorCal after the 10 day hold? It will be the same address as what would be in the DROS.

NOPE!

Violation of Federal Law.

The FFL can, however, deliver it to you personally. But that aint gonna happen.

skscj
12-30-2009, 9:24 PM
So, if someone out of state wants to buy a c&r rifle from me, can i ship it straight to him if he does not have a c&r ? Do i just need a copy of his driver license ? Or do i need to ship it to a FFL.

timdps
12-30-2009, 10:24 PM
So, if someone out of state wants to buy a c&r rifle from me, can i ship it straight to him if he does not have a c&r ? Do i just need a copy of his driver license ? Or do i need to ship it to a FFL.

Needs to go to an FFL: either an 01 (dealer) or 03 (C&R).

CHS
12-31-2009, 10:32 AM

That's an interstate transfer and by federal law MUST go through a dealer (or an 03 FFL). Doesn't matter if it's C&R.

Now, if it's antique (1898 or older) you can mail it to his doorstep.