PDA

View Full Version : M1A Rifle help

dcaspino
11-01-2009, 11:25 AM
OK so I'm still a newbie, but I really get alot of help from this site. I appreciate it very much. I'm looking to expand my new addiction(gun collecting is by far the worst addiction i've encountered) by adding a M1A rifle. I've found that their are alot of options and the rifle can get up to >4k. What i want is a model that will shoot great out of the box. I dont want another rifle I have to send off to the gunsmith. I respect the opinions of alot of the elders on this site. I need some guidance in the right direction. Thank you very much.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-01-2009, 11:30 AM
I could depend on how good of a shot you are. The "loaded" model M1A from Springfield Inc. will shoot better than 95% of the shooters on the public shooting range right out of the box. If you are new to shooting then you could get the "loaded" model and then send it out for upgrades in a few years when the barrel is worn out and needs replacing.

Requiem
11-01-2009, 11:37 AM
if you're looking for longer range and better accuracy, the loaded model is for you. However, if you want something a bit easier to tote around, get a scout or socom.

socomIInato
11-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I could depend on how good of a shot you are. The "loaded" model M1A from Springfield Inc. will shoot better than 95% of the shooters on the public shooting range right out of the box. If you are new to shooting then you could get the "loaded" model and then send it out for upgrades in a few years when the barrel is worn out and needs replacing.

+1:cool:

dcaspino
11-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Any reccomendations where to buy? impact had it for 2300. wood or synthetic stock?

X-NewYawker
11-01-2009, 11:48 AM

I concur. Better than standard barrel and sights. great gun.

russ69
11-01-2009, 1:09 PM
"....shoot great out of the box...." You'll need a Super Match. I know it's a lot of money but you'll have it for your entire life. I bought mine new quite a few years ago for $960, it was a lot of money at the time but I'm glad I bought it. I have a lot of guns but if I had to keep just one my Super Match would be the one I'd grab.

Thanx, Russ

Crazed_SS
11-01-2009, 5:57 PM
OK so I'm still a newbie, but I really get alot of help from this site. I appreciate it very much. I'm looking to expand my new addiction(gun collecting is by far the worst addiction i've encountered) by adding a M1A rifle. I've found that their are alot of options and the rifle can get up to >4k. What i want is a model that will shoot great out of the box. I dont want another rifle I have to send off to the gunsmith. I respect the opinions of alot of the elders on this site. I need some guidance in the right direction. Thank you very much.

M1A Loaded shoots pretty well out of the box..

BillyGoatMachine
11-01-2009, 6:17 PM
Stay away from the Socom models if your looking for accuracy. They are great guns, but my SocomII only shoots 3MOA at best at 100y.

luckystrike
11-01-2009, 8:10 PM
<quote>I respect the opinions of alot of the elders on this site<quote>

so does that mean youl only respect theirs and not others?

any Springfield M1A will shoot great right out of the box. alot of people will say to stay away from the shorterbarreled SOCOMS, but the few extra inches of barrel will only come into effect at around 600 meters.
plus since int SOCOM, it has to qual for it.. beach testing, firing underwater and dripping.

and another thing, they can tend to be picky with ammo, never anything corrosive or steel-core

tygerpaw
11-01-2009, 9:13 PM
I would look for a used Standard version with as many USGI parts as possible. There are also some good Chinese (Poly Tech & Norinco) M14's that can be had for less than Springfield Armory. They are good too and are made with a forged steel receiver like the original USGI receivers.

Check out these sites too:

http://www.battlerifles.com
http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144733246
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144635934

HK Dave
11-01-2009, 9:25 PM
I love my M1A Scout... i do hope to get match version on a JAE stock though. Might wanna look into those stocks.

5ohguy
11-01-2009, 10:56 PM
My m1a scout is way accurate enough for anything I might need it for. I don't do bench rest shooting, but any 18 inch target out to 400 yards I can hit with irons. I'd like to really test it out to 600.

Requiem
11-01-2009, 11:20 PM
<quote>
plus since int SOCOM, it has to qual for it.. beach testing, firing underwater and dripping.

Please tell me you're not saying that the M1A Socom was given that name because the US Special Operations Command tested and approved it....

plankowner
11-02-2009, 7:24 AM
I have a scout and could not be happier with it .

dcaspino
11-02-2009, 7:40 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. I've found a loaded M1A at my local shop. It's sub $1600, which aint too bad, and it's in stock. It comes with a wood stock, i'm not sure which is better. I like wood but black would be tacticool. Still I would kinda like to find the super match model. These rifle are on back order just about everywhere, I guess i'm lucky to find one locally.

5ohguy
11-02-2009, 8:39 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. I've found a loaded M1A at my local shop. It's sub $1600, which aint too bad, and it's in stock. It comes with a wood stock, i'm not sure which is better. I like wood but black would be tacticool. Still I would kinda like to find the super match model. These rifle are on back order just about everywhere, I guess i'm lucky to find one locally.

Check out these stocks if you want tacticoolage and a great no bedding required stock.

http://www.jallenenterprises.com/

Worth it if you can afford it.

7222 Hawker
11-02-2009, 3:39 PM
I have a National Match made in 1987. Great rifle but I have to warn you about one thing. If you mount a scope on it, the height and eye relief is going to give you fits unless you research it. Ask any of the serious M1A shooters and use the search button. You'll see what I mean. I'm still screwing with it.

IRONWILL
11-02-2009, 3:52 PM
www.lrbarms.com