PDA

View Full Version : AR Pistol Flow Chart

pennys dad
11-01-2009, 6:34 AM
Do we have one? Every once in awhile I see a nice pistol upper for sale but I wonder what it takes to get an AR pistol put together.

Acorn556
11-01-2009, 6:42 AM
I know if you're going to have one shipped here it has to be setup to take one bullet at a time with a sled.
I'm not sure if you can build one out of a stripped lower but I'd be interested in knowing for sure.

dan12580
11-01-2009, 7:19 AM
make sure you own the complete pistol lower before you buy the upper.

for2nato
11-01-2009, 7:45 AM
make sure you own the complete pistol lower before you buy the upper.

yea you wouldnt want to take a chance of someone thinking your building a sbr.

Hopi
11-01-2009, 7:47 AM
How to become the owner of an Ar-15 pistol.....

The hard way to import
-Pistol must meet dimensional compliance (6+ " barrel)
-Meet single shot exemption
-Properly configured to avoid AW laws (i.e. if semi-auto, mag needs to be locked)

The cheating way to import
If you're an LEO you can have a stripped pistol lower or complete pistol (non-AW) imported via the safe-list leo exemption.

If you're an ordinary citizen, you can have a stripped pistol lower or complete pistol (non-AW) imported via the Ifamily exemption.

*note that LEO can purchase stripped pistol lowers or complete pistols from FFls inside CA.
*note that Ordinary citizens can purchase stripped pistol lowers, or complete pistols PTP inside CA.

The fun way, no import needed
-Complete an 80% receiver into a pistol lower. Then build a dimensionally compliant, single-shot AR-15 pistol.

Tragic Image
11-01-2009, 8:25 AM
what, if any, registration is required when you complete and 80% lower pistol build?

Hopi
11-01-2009, 8:39 AM
none. Registration is voluntary.

Tragic Image
11-01-2009, 8:44 AM
and what indicates it as a "pistol" as opposed to "long-arm" should the DOJ ever wonder why I have an short barrel?

Do you mark/engrave this side to indicate a pistol?

Hopi
11-01-2009, 8:50 AM
I have not had mine engraved yet. I do intend to have "pistol" marked on the front face of the magwell.

As far as having to explain anything.....well, that is a wide-open question. If it comes to that, make sure you are well-versed in the law and can articulate very clearly why your pistol is legal. If it requires 'more discussion', a lawyer should be able to clear it up in a few minutes.

Both of the above are moot issues if you voluntarily register your pistol. Which I also intend to do after engraving.

Tragic Image
11-01-2009, 9:04 AM
well, I appreciate the information. Thanks!

Vinz
11-01-2009, 10:04 AM
I have not had mine engraved yet. I do intend to have "pistol" marked on the front face of the magwell.

As far as having to explain anything.....well, that is a wide-open question. If it comes to that, make sure you are well-versed in the law and can articulate very clearly why your pistol is legal. If it requires 'more discussion', a lawyer should be able to clear it up in a few minutes.

Both of the above are moot issues if you voluntarily register your pistol. Which I also intend to do after engraving. So would you have to register the 80% pistol build using the import procedure? Single shot etc?

vinz

Hopi
11-01-2009, 10:12 AM
No. The single-shot configuration is only applicable when you are building or importing, as to avoid manufacturing or importing an 'unsafe handgun'.

With an 80%, you can register it whenever you want, or not at all.

Vinz
11-01-2009, 7:10 PM
Thank you Hopi.

vinz

CHS
11-01-2009, 7:37 PM
FYI, to actually answer the original question, there already is a handgun flowchart:

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf

CHS
11-01-2009, 7:41 PM
So would you have to register the 80% pistol build using the import procedure? Single shot etc?

Nope.

You don't even have to put a serial number on it if you don't want to :)

ke6guj
11-01-2009, 7:47 PM
FYI, to actually answer the original question, there already is a handgun flowchart:

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf
yup, the handgun legality flowchart deals with the legality of the assembled pistol, but it does not deal with the different methods of acquisition. I think the OP is looking for something that explains step-by-step the methods to acquire an AR-pistol, showing all the roster-exemptions and how to use them.

Harley
11-01-2009, 9:42 PM
How to become the owner of an Ar-15 pistol.....

The hard way to import
-Pistol must meet dimensional compliance (6+ " barrel)
-Meet single shot exemption
-Properly configured to avoid AW laws (i.e. if semi-auto, mag needs to be locked)

The cheating way to import
If you're an LEO you can have a stripped pistol lower or complete pistol (non-AW) imported via the safe-list leo exemption.

If you're an ordinary citizen, you can have a stripped pistol lower or complete pistol (non-AW) imported via the Ifamily exemption.

*note that LEO can purchase stripped pistol lowers or complete pistols from FFls inside CA.
*note that Ordinary citizens can purchase stripped pistol lowers, or complete pistols PTP inside CA.

The fun way, no import needed
-Complete an 80% receiver into a pistol lower. Then build a dimensionally compliant, single-shot AR-15 pistol.
1. So If I order a stripped pistol lower, lpk, buffer tube, BB, and single shot sled, I would then have a unassembled (complete pistol lower) do I then send to a middle man to configure??.......Or?

2. A law enforcement contact is available, if need be. (I would like to do without.)

3. At what point do I order a complete upper (7.5inch with KX3), after I have had the pistol lower configured and Drosed(sp?) in my possession? (Is that constructive poss?)

4. Can all parts be sent to a FFL here in Kalifornia to be assembled?? Does FFL have to be 07?

Please pardon me on being uneducated on this subject. :)

Harley
11-05-2009, 11:21 PM
TTP

Hopi
11-06-2009, 6:02 AM
1. So If I order a stripped pistol lower, lpk, buffer tube, BB, and single shot sled, I would then have a unassembled (complete pistol lower) do I then send to a middle man to configure??.......Or?

You would purchase and have it sent to an out of state middleman FFL for assembly and importation to your CA FFL.

2. A law enforcement contact is available, if need be. (I would like to do without.)

If an LEO happens to own a stripped pistol lower, and decides to sell it to you PPT, that would be an easy route for acquisition.

3. At what point do I order a complete upper (7.5inch with KX3), after I have had the pistol lower configured and Drosed(sp?) in my possession? (Is that constructive poss?).

For option #1, it would need to be assembled by your middleman FFL. You'd purchase the upper and have it sent directly to them.

For option #2, you could order an upper directly to you after you've acquired the stripped lower.

4. Can all parts be sent to a FFL here in Kalifornia to be assembled?? Does FFL have to be 07?

Yes, parts can be sent into CA. An 07 is not necessary but 01 FFLs must pay a tax when they build guns, so most like to avoid that.

Please pardon me on being uneducated on this subject. :)

Answers in bold....

Harley
11-06-2009, 6:18 AM
Answers in bold....
Thank you Hopi! :cool:

Hopi
11-06-2009, 6:25 AM
Thank you Hopi! :cool:

No problem.

yup, the handgun legality flowchart deals with the legality of the assembled pistol, but it does not deal with the different methods of acquisition. I think the OP is looking for something that explains step-by-step the methods to acquire an AR-pistol, showing all the roster-exemptions and how to use them.

Perhaps this, or a how-to section for acquiring off-list handguns, should be added to the flowchart? Maybe sticky this thread in the handgun forum?

Mitch
11-06-2009, 8:22 AM
Another solution is to go to Riflegear in Costa Mesa and buy one. They have them sitting behind the counter.