PDA

View Full Version : Handgun given as a gift from Family (in AZ ) to me (Ca Resident)

delfinskee
10-31-2009, 10:54 PM
I am trying to find out the law concerning my family in Az giving me a Ca (legal) handgun. I am not buying it from them, it is a gift. Is there a transfer fee, is it required to go thru an FFL dealer? Been trying to research this and have been unable to find anything in writing. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

chansen49
11-01-2009, 7:04 AM
I am trying to find out the law concerning my family in Az giving me a Ca (legal) handgun. I am not buying it from them, it is a gift. Is there a transfer fee, is it required to go thru an FFL dealer? Been trying to research this and have been unable to find anything in writing. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Out of state family transfers require a FFL. In state dont, still a fee but no FFL if in state.

rhbanjo
11-01-2009, 9:32 AM
check out the DOJ site- there are forms on it where you can fill out and pay a fee for transfer without going thru an ffl.

Librarian
11-01-2009, 3:27 PM
check out the DOJ site- there are forms on it where you can fill out and pay a fee for transfer without going thru an ffl.

NOT INTERSTATE!!!

True, market is the wrong forum, and the correct forum has been mentioned - the answer to the question is also at
Transferring Firearms Among Some Family Members (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members) - which is the detail about in-California only, and
Transferring firearms Interstate (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php /Transferring_firearms_Interstate)

Feds require the FFL on interstate transfer; Feds do not understand California's 'intrafamilial' law. CA-DOJ continually forgets Federal law on interstate transfers.

But ask in 2nd Amendment, politics and laws forum.

carsnguns
11-01-2009, 3:44 PM
CONTACT THE CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF JUSTCE, FIREARM DIVISION AND ASK THEM FOR THE FORM YOU NEED TO FILL OUT WHEN YOU RECEIVE A HAND GUN FROM A PARENT. FILL IT OUT AND THEN MAIL IT BACK TO THE DOJ WITH A SMALL REQUIRED FEE. A LOCAL FIREARMS DEALER DOES NOT HAVE THIS FORM, YOU HAVE TO GET DIRCTLY FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE.

Cokebottle
11-01-2009, 3:52 PM
CONTACT THE CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF JUSTCE, FIREARM DIVISION AND ASK THEM FOR THE FORM YOU NEED TO FILL OUT WHEN YOU RECEIVE A HAND GUN FROM A PARENT. FILL IT OUT AND THEN MAIL IT BACK TO THE DOJ WITH A SMALL REQUIRED FEE. A LOCAL FIREARMS DEALER DOES NOT HAVE THIS FORM, YOU HAVE TO GET DIRCTLY FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE.
He's talking about an out of state transfer... that has to be done through an FFL.

The only way I can see that might get around it (gray area legally) would be for his parents to bring the gun with them when they come to visit, then do a PPT at a local gun shop.

The self-service form, as I understand it, is for a handgun that has been handed down and has been previously unregistered.

Librarian
11-01-2009, 3:52 PM

Friend, this is an interstate transfer, AZ to CA - that form does not satisfy the Federal requirement for interstate transfers.

Librarian
11-01-2009, 3:57 PM
He's talking about an out of state transfer... that has to be done through an FFL.

The only way I can see that might get around it (gray area legally) would be for his parents to bring the gun with them when they come to visit, then do a PPT at a local gun shop.

The self-service form, as I understand it, is for a handgun that has been handed down and has been previously unregistered.
The federal issue is the state of residence of the owner of the gun - the geographical location is not relevant. The parents could bring the gun from AZ to an FFL in CA; the gun doesn't have to be shipped FFL-FFL.

California PPT is implemented as between ONLY two CA residents - out of state is not included in CA PPT.

The intrafamilial transfer form is needed when 2 CA residents of the correct relationship (grandparent, parent, child) want to transfer a handgun, skipping the FFL legally; the prior registration of the handgun is not relevant.

6172crew
11-01-2009, 4:13 PM
Moved for your viewing pleasure.