PDA

View Full Version : i think i'm coming down with a case of BRD . . .

doodoostain
10-31-2009, 10:11 PM
i haven't even completed the DROS on my first handgun and i'm already itching for one of these rifles. i was originally planning to get a shotgun next but i can't stop reading about all these rifles and looking at all the pictures in here. from what i've seen, i have a gut feeling that i will end up with one of each at some point. seems like each platform has its own merits and die hard fans.

first question. are there any ranges that rent rifles in the los angeles area? i'd like to try shooting a saiga and an ar-15. it was easier making a decision with handguns because they were, by and large, pretty accessible to rent. i wouldn't want to make a decision based on aesthetics alone.

second question. in your opinion, what would be a better starter rifle? is a rifle even a good idea as a second firearm? i'm leaning towards a featureless saiga that i could choose to convert at a later date. seems like the most cost effective way to get my feet wet before i dive right in. any thoughts would be appreciated.

Josh3239
10-31-2009, 11:12 PM
Arrange to meet some Calgunners at Angeles Shooting Range. Almost everyone here has an AR15 and if they don't they likely have a Saiga.

As for starter, I think that is up to you. My first gun I ever owned was an AR.

Flogger23m
10-31-2009, 11:21 PM
The AK is cheaper and should be easier to clean. If you're new to shooting, the accuracy difference from the AR might not even make a difference at 100 meters (generally what shooting ranges offer).

Then when you get some extra cash, you can sell the AK, and get the AR-15.

Then when you get more cash, buy another AK.

That is the route I am taking. Thinking of selling my AK for an AR upper.

RolinThundr
10-31-2009, 11:25 PM
After having rented a shotgun not too long ago I have come to the conclusion that everyone needs to take care of the 3 basics when they start their collection: a handgun, a shotgun, and a rifle. Order is not important and after obtaining 1 of each of these you can add whatever you like (1911 if you don't already have one) to your collection. So the fact that you don't have your handgun yet and are already going for a rifle isn't a big deal, as long as you have the money for it. I noticed you listed a bunch of Saigas, have you considered an XCR by Robinson Armament, a lot of guys have mentioned how happy they are with theirs and the company is doing a lot to market here in CA (they have a CA compliant Standard model and are working on a CA compliant pistol). I personally am itching to get my hands on one:

http://www.robarm.com/resources/products/xcrlstandardca/XCRRSCA.png

Right now though I'm leaning more toward their pistols:

http://www.robarm.com/resources/products/xcrlmicropistol/prodpic.jpg

Just a suggestion. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy. I haven't heard anyone on the forums complain about their AKs, ARs, or Saigas.

Fot
11-01-2009, 6:59 AM
i haven't even completed the DROS on my first handgun and i'm already itching for one of these rifles. i was originally planning to get a shotgun next but i can't stop reading about all these rifles and looking at all the pictures in here. from what i've seen, i have a gut feeling that i will end up with one of each at some point. seems like each platform has its own merits and die hard fans.

first question. are there any ranges that rent rifles in the los angeles area? i'd like to try shooting a saiga and an ar-15. it was easier making a decision with handguns because they were, by and large, pretty accessible to rent. i wouldn't want to make a decision based on aesthetics alone.

second question. in your opinion, what would be a better starter rifle? is a rifle even a good idea as a second firearm? i'm leaning towards a featureless saiga that i could choose to convert at a later date. seems like the most cost effective way to get my feet wet before i dive right in. any thoughts would be appreciated.

You might be able to find a calguner in the area that would let you fire a few rounds through each gun.

Something to think about is for the price of a good AR you can get both a Saiga and a decent shot gun.

bombadillo
11-01-2009, 7:18 AM
search out tacticool's thread of his first rifle. Then note how everyone laughed at him for building an Uber-cool tactical fun fest of a rifle. You can build it however you want and everyone i've seen start off this way reverts it to a K.I.S.S. rifle so you should start off there. Get a 16" or 18" and throw a carry handle, A2 front sight base, collapsible stock of some sort so you get some kind of tacticalness out of it, and shoot about a case of rounds through it. When you're done, you'll know what you want and what you don't.

GuardianArmament
11-01-2009, 11:14 PM
I have four best friends: Kimber 1911, Benelli M2 Tactical, Rem 700 SPS .308 and an AR. I think that rounds it out. Never been a fan of the AK

doodoostain
11-02-2009, 8:02 AM
thanks for the input fellas. for budget concerns i was hoping to hear, start off with a saiga but the response was overwhelmingly in favor of an AR-15. i guess i should pick up a stripped lower receiver and slowly put things together. i think i would prefer to build it myself and have some control over what goes into it. any recommendations for lower receivers? i kinda like the idea of a calguns lower that i've seen in here. what are the names i should be looking for?

pacrimguru
11-02-2009, 8:20 AM
i figure people are either an AR guy or an AK guy (or gal). some people can't get enough of their AK's, some their AR's. i know people own and love both as do i, but in the end, i'm primarily an AR guy. regardless of budget, you need to ask yourself which platform you like best and go from there.

in your original post you mention getting a saiga as a cost effective way of getting into this hobby. this is true and if you are an AK guy i would recommend going that route. if you were thinking of a saiga mainly due to cost concerns, then rethink this. an AR, while generally more expensive than AK's, is configurable in any number of ways. if you end up not liking something on it, you can always get different components to fine tune your rifle until you get it the way you want it - without having to buy another rifle. and AK, not so much, it is what it is and if you don't like it, it's rifle shopping you go.

to answer you most current question, most lowers are good to go. stick with any mainstream brand and you'll be fine.

bombadillo
11-02-2009, 9:58 AM
Start off with a decent lower. I'd suggest:
this (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1539)
Then figure out if you want to go fixed magazine or featureless for detachable mags.
If you're going BB, check out different stock options, 6 pos. military style stock, CTR, UBR, A2, VLTOR, ACE or whatever flavor you'd like.
Lower parts kit and figure out what kind of trigger you'd like. For a first I'd recommend a RRA LPK w/2 stage NM trigger for about 120 bucks for a kit.

Upper is yours to decide if you want to do a Kiss style with no rails or anything really or if you want to go gung ho, lights, lasers, VFG's bipod, or what have you. Also consider the upper length you desire whether you want a fast moving carbine or a longer range tack driving 24" something that you're not going to want to lug around with you. Have fun and good luck, you won't find a lack of AR-15 info on this site.

Dang you guys, I thought I was going to have one, and after building about 12 or so I'm down to 4:D It catches quickly and quite contagious.

rct442
11-02-2009, 10:01 AM
I bought a 16" AR carbine as a first-time rifle, but now I think a 20" service rifle is the best choice. If you don't throw all the tacticool mall-ninja crap on it, you can keep costs low.

Advantages Over AK:
Non-existent recoil w/ rifle length gas system
Accuracy
Iron sights
Ergonomics
A4 upper is optics ready, can you say ACOQ;)

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/products/purstda2.gif

jmf_tracy
11-02-2009, 10:05 AM
i would suggest getting in on the stag group buy over at ar15.com
they have a complete stag 2 kit minus the stripped lower for $609 and i think you can contact pete @ legaltransfer who is hosting the group buy and he can set you up with a stag lower for $100. i bought the stag 2T kit myself on the previous group buy and i am very happy with it. the 2T kit is $788.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=121&t=636628

doodoostain
11-02-2009, 11:33 AM
dang, that seems like a phenomenal deal. how often do group buys like this come up?

SIGscout
11-02-2009, 11:53 AM
I have four best friends: Kimber 1911, Benelli M2 Tactical, Rem 700 SPS .308 and an AR. I think that rounds it out. Never been a fan of the AK

I started with a Ruger 10/22 LR, then 2 yrs later, S&W .357 mag 686+, a few months later mossberg 590 12 ga.

then Wincherster 700 30-06, Sig 5.56, SOCOM 16, and Barrett .416.
I'm not a fan of the AK but I gotta give some respect to the gun the enemy have been using, which means I'll get one some day.

But next is that tasty little Micro XCR from R.A.:D

7222 Hawker
11-02-2009, 2:26 PM
Don't get an AK. They suck. Unless you are going to be shooting in the Frozen Chosin, get and AR. BRD is only the first of many diseases you will get. BRD starts, then as you learn more, you will get Garanditis. Eventually after you become a full Jedi, you will the M1A flu. Enjoy the ride!

jmf_tracy
11-02-2009, 5:54 PM
it is a good deal on a a good rifle. it has been going quite awhile. this is the 2nd time around for this particular group buy and he keeps them open for quite awhile. you should order a kit & lower and find a reasonably priced FFL to ship the lower to.

dang, that seems like a phenomenal deal. how often do group buys like this come up?

zman
11-02-2009, 6:17 PM
I know you just picked up your Tupperware :p and now you're getting the BRD. I predict the H1N1911 VIRUS is next :D

bomb_on_bus
11-02-2009, 6:43 PM
Anyone of those guns listed would be a great starter gun. AR is just plain easy to build and operate. Learning to effectively use the gun is where they would differ IMO.

doodoostain
11-02-2009, 10:10 PM
I know you just picked up your Tupperware :p and now you're getting the BRD. I predict the H1N1911 VIRUS is next :D

yes sir, i sure did. just got finished detail stripping it, cleaning it, doing the .25 trigger job, lube and put back together. can't wait to go shoot it tomorrow. the 1911 look amazing and i'd like to get one, but for some reason, i just can't stop thinking about shooting longer range with a rifle.

RolinThundr
11-02-2009, 11:53 PM
...BRD is only the first of many diseases you will get. BRD starts, then as you learn more, you will get Garanditis. Eventually after you become a full Jedi, you will the M1A flu. Enjoy the ride!

Hmmmm, I missed something, I came down with the 1911A1 epidemic first, then the M1A flu, just now getting hit with BRD- I really want the XCR mini (9" barrel) pistol! No Garanditis yet.

mltrading
11-03-2009, 3:52 PM
Get an AR. It's just like LEGO blocks. It's easy to build / modify / shoot.

C_1
11-03-2009, 5:03 PM
The AK is hard to mess up and its fairly inexpensive. And the AR is a lil more expensive but easy to modify; like mltrading says, its like LEGOs.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages, but you cant go wrong with either an AK or AR. Its really preference. Try shooting a few and see what you like.