PDA

View Full Version : Newbie-Colt AR15 Upper

tecstar1
10-31-2009, 8:42 PM
I am going to purchase a Colt AR15 Upper (A2 HBAR) from a friend in Nevada and would like to marry it to an OLL Receiver. I spoke to a rep from the local gun shop and they noted the pivot is a large threaded cap screw that causes issues of fitting with other manufacturers lowers. He said to bring the upper back to the shop on Tuesday when the owner was there to see if he could figure what was needed. Anyone else come across this issue. If so, what manufactures of lowers would work to match with the Colt upper.

Thanks,
Ron

Josh3239
10-31-2009, 8:43 PM
I think that is a simple as getting the big hole bushing. It inserts into the upper lug and makes it smaller so the lower receiver pivot pin can fits through it and still be tight. Give me a sec and I'll find it.

Found it: http://www.del-ton.com/Ar_15_Offset_Bushing_p/lp1003.htm

About
Offset Bushing adapts large hole Hartford Horsey uppers to small hole lower pin diameter

tecstar1
10-31-2009, 8:50 PM
Josh,

Thanks for the bushing info, that will help. Any recommendations for a suitable lower with the non-detachable magazine?
Ron

Josh3239
10-31-2009, 8:55 PM
I think everyone has their favorites, but they really are for the most part the same. Billets look very nice, but that is their only "advantage". A lot of people here like Mega, I am a fan of Spike's and for $89.95 it is hard to beat and they also offer laser engraving if your interested. They have billet receivers built by Mega and other special stuff. I have their Jolly Roger lower and love it: http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=104_65&products_id=305

Whatever you decide on, just toss on a bullet button and you're good to go.

Barney Gumble
10-31-2009, 10:25 PM
I am going to purchase a Colt AR15 Upper (A2 HBAR) from a friend in Nevada and would like to marry it to an OLL Receiver. I spoke to a rep from the local gun shop and they noted the pivot is a large threaded cap screw that causes issues of fitting with other manufacturers lowers. He said to bring the upper back to the shop on Tuesday when the owner was there to see if he could figure what was needed. Anyone else come across this issue. If so, what manufactures of lowers would work to match with the Colt upper.

Thanks,
Ron

The gun shop you talked to couldn't possibly know whether it's large or not without looking at it. Colt made large-hole uppers for a limited time so chances are it's a small hole. But have your friend measure the diameter of the hole for you. If it's .250" then it's a small hole.

Peter W Bush
10-31-2009, 10:41 PM
I have the same upper and love it. Just order the bushing and youll be fine.

tecstar1
11-01-2009, 9:41 PM
What is the size of the replacement pin. Want to get that on order before the lower arrives.
Thanks,
Ron

sspen003
11-02-2009, 7:24 AM
I thought the finish on a colt and typical OLL were off? Do you like off tone rifles?

Greg-Dawg
11-02-2009, 7:26 AM
Honestly, if I were to own a Colt upper then I'd try to find a Colt lower....while living in TX.

redcliff
11-02-2009, 7:52 AM
What is the size of the replacement pin. Want to get that on order before the lower arrives.
Thanks,
Ron

Your OLL receiver will typically have a .250 diameter pivot pin. Some Colt A2 HBAR uppers used a .250 diameter pivot pin and some used a .315 diameter pivot pin.

If you end up with the latter you need to use an off-set receiver bushing to mate it to your existing lower using your existing .250 diameter pivot pin from your lower parts kit.

Heres an example:http://www.del-ton.com/Ar_15_Offset_Bushing_p/lp1003.htm

Peter W Bush
11-02-2009, 12:11 PM
I thought the finish on a colt and typical OLL were off? Do you like off tone rifles?

The finish is off a bit. Older Colt uppers are more of a dark grey.