PDA

View Full Version : "Off list" shooting areas... keep em quiet!

CavTrooper
10-31-2009, 8:49 PM
Theres a small patch of BLM land near my house that I have been shooting at for a little while now. Recently, the location of this spot was disclosed here on Calguns. Now, Id like to belive that Calguns members are all fine and upstanding folks, but within the last couple months since the location was disclosed ive noticed a significant increase in the amount of trash being left behind by shooters. Today I slid in there to make sure my rifle was dialed in for deer hunting tomorrow and was absolutely amazed at how much more trash there was than the last time I was there! The guys hanging out with pistols in one hand and tallboys in the other didnt exactly make me feel very comfortable either.

This place will be shut down soon, Im certain of it.

Its hard enough to find a legal place to shoot that you dont have to pay for, abide by crazy regulations and deal with out of control and dangerous crowds, but treating open areas like this will reduce the number of them until they are a thing of the past.

Please, clean up after yourself.

A suggestion to folks that have special little places to shoot, if you value your spots, keep em quiet! The more folks that show up, the more trash there will be and the quicker they will be shut down.

oaklander
10-31-2009, 8:50 PM
Where is it?

:D

Theres a small patch of BLM land near my house that I have been shooting at for a little while now. Recently, the location of this spot was disclosed here on Calguns. Now, Id like to belive that Calguns members are all fine and upstanding folks, but within the last couple months since the location was disclosed ive noticed a significant increase in the amount of trash being left behind by shooters. Today I slid in there to make sure my rifle was dialed in for deer hunting tomorrow and was absolutely amazed at how much more trash there was than the last time I was there! The guys hanging out with pistols in one hand and tallboys in the other didnt exactly make me feel very comfortable either.

Its hard enough to find a legal place to shoot that you dont have to pay for, abide by crazy regulations and deal with out of control and dangerous crowds, but treating open areas like this will reduce the number of them until they are a thing of the past.

A suggestion to folks that have special little places to shoot, if you value your spots, keep em quiet! The more folks that show up, the more trash there will be and the quicker they will be shut down.

CavTrooper
10-31-2009, 8:54 PM
Where is it?

too far for you to drive to!

Eat Dirt
10-31-2009, 9:17 PM
they are a thing of the past.

How True

I ain't say'in Nut'in ...............

socomIInato
10-31-2009, 9:36 PM
I didn`t catch the location of this place. can you repeat it.;)seriously sorry to her some lowlifes have found your`e spot.

Swatguy10_15
10-31-2009, 9:48 PM
We had the same problem up around my neck of the woods..Theres a beautiful patch of BLM land behind a lake ( NO Im not sharing,sorry) and its the best little plinking spot. Nice view of the lake, several different hills at different ranges for short or long distance shooting..Unfortunately a while back some yuppies came along and saw what we were doing..Ever since theyve trashed the place, everything from computers, to propane tanks, even took pot shots at one of my buddies d5 tractors thats behind an obvious fenced property a distance away....Lots of trash and ammo boxes..BLM came in and through friends basically said "last warning" if its not cleaned up it gets shut down..Cleaned it up..2 weeks later it was trashed again..So hence "official looking" no shooting signs....and a nice piece of blm land to shoot at .alone :rolleyes: Long as people continue to consider the outdoors theyre dumpster the "irresponsible gun owner myth" will continue..as far as alcohol and firearms..Id call LE EVERY TIME..Theyll get out there in time eventually.

Swatguy10_15
10-31-2009, 9:50 PM
Where is it?

Hey oaklad theres a gaggle of legal BLM shoot spots within about 40 minutes of you..pm me for further.

diginit
10-31-2009, 9:53 PM
We generally stress that Calgunners clean up their BS. Because we want these places kept open. Sounds like Cow Mountain. It has been closed before. Because of idiots. It Sucks. Anyone that does a search of BLM in their area knows about this place. I do, And I have never been there. I just did a search. I hate to think it is CG'ers. Most are very responsible.
Such as yourself.

professorhard
10-31-2009, 9:57 PM
Why would u disclose the place? You're just asking for the irresponsible crowd to show up.

7.62x54R
10-31-2009, 10:02 PM

Why would u disclose the place? You're just asking for the irresponsible crowd to show up.

I know where this place is. it is trashed and i have loaded my truck up with trash and when i come back there is more trash. i do my part but i think its alot of people who don't do anything and treat it like a dump. you are right it will get closed thanks to irresponsible and trashy people.

diginit
10-31-2009, 10:22 PM
It's the same way where I shot. Even with the CG cleanups. I'm going to post a sign. "If you are caught dumping here, You may become landfill yourself." Think anyone will get the point?

ko1featherweigh
11-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Hey oaklad theres a gaggle of legal BLM shoot spots within about 40 minutes of you..pm me for further.
I am interested pm inbound.

Its hard once a place starts to become more well known, then you get the literbugs.

Chunky_lover
11-01-2009, 6:24 AM
I like the idea of fake closed signs, that have a small XX at the bottom standing for XXX XXXX, that way members know its a fake sign and can shoot there. But im not sure if some official came by while your shooting and saw the sign if you could get in trouble.

tkmech21
11-03-2009, 7:19 AM
I like the idea of fake closed signs, that have a small XX at the bottom standing for XXX XXXX, that way members know its a fake sign and can shoot there. But im not sure if some official came by while your shooting and saw the sign if you could get in trouble.

then your fake sign would end up whistling in the wind with every other official sign with a million bullet holes in it. Signs don't mean anything to idiots, only responsible law abiding citizens. Thats why it will always be a struggle to keep good shooting areas open, There are too many idiots with guns, the bigger problem is you and I the "responsible law abiding citizens" get put in the same catagory because we have one thing in common, the guns.

Woodymyster
11-03-2009, 11:12 AM
I have a place I've been going to for years... Anyways over the years, it has become more trashed and so on. So on one of my trips, I decided to clean up the big trash (washingmachine shot up, propane tanks, pounds of shotgun shells and so on). As I am heading home, I get pulled over by the sheriff and he is accusing me of shooting at this stuff... I got out of it but it pissed me off to no end getting harassed for some other persons stupidity. I didnt blame the cop, I just got so sick of dealing with this crap that I no longer tell anyone where my spot is and refuse to help anyone who asks where a good spot might be.

Maybe I'm selfish and only care about myself and my "private special spot", but I'm getting the feeling that most people on this site agree with me.

Rekrab
11-03-2009, 2:11 PM
Woodymyster, that's a real bummer that you got pulled over. Maybe if you ever decide to be a Good Samaritan again a tarp would save you the hassle.

SixPointEight
11-03-2009, 2:20 PM
You guys are lucky you can even find BLM land to shoot at. I can't find any near me. I search on their website and nothing. Anytime I want to shoot I have to go out to a range and pay $15 a person just to shoot. Last trip, including rental and ammo cost me $120 before I was out of there. I'd love to shoot more...but just can't afford it these days.

ponderosa
11-03-2009, 3:09 PM
The BLM spot 5 minutes from my home was shut (hence my avatar) mainly because of trash, OH and also because people would shoot at the train that went by up the hill... nice. :(

Even still, there would often be other people shooting there that I really didn't care to be around.

Now I'll have to drive 20 minutes or so to Nat'l Forest, thankfully that still exists, and more private. Just gotta be careful when deer season opens up.

I don't get people very well, they're carefree these days and don't think much. Not saying all people, but a lot of them.

LE132_00
11-03-2009, 10:33 PM
The BLM spot 5 minutes from my home was shut (hence my avatar) mainly because of trash, OH and also because people would shoot at the train that went by up the hill... nice. :(

Even still, there would often be other people shooting there that I really didn't care to be around.

Now I'll have to drive 20 minutes or so to Nat'l Forest, thankfully that still exists, and more private. Just gotta be careful when deer season opens up.

I don't get people very well, they're carefree these days and don't think much. Not saying all people, but a lot of them.

If you're talking about the same BLM spot that I'm thinking of, there were also some unsavory characters that would lean targets up on big rocks as backstops. :confused: That among other things led to a few fires :mad: Not to mention all the mickey's bottles and other garbage that people would dump. Every time I shot there I'd take out as much trash as I could fit in my SUV. Went and did the cleanups a bunch of times. There was a nice guy there that completely fixed/repaired a bench that was out there to shoot off of. I went back the next weekend and someone had shot it all up (shooting towards the freeway as well).

I was pretty bummed when they closed it down, as that was where I learned to shoot.

kalguns
11-04-2009, 7:34 AM
THis is the kind of $ hit that give hunters and gun owners a bad name. PLEASE EVERYONE pick up your shells and trash were ever you go shoot.

wkd4496
11-04-2009, 8:33 AM
Mannnn.. This really sucks. I hate people who are irresponsible and stupid. Just ruins it for everyone. It's not even that difficult to clean up. Just bring a large (maybe $10) tarp and keep everything on that. Then you can literally pick it up, collect the trash and toss. I just hope to have my first BLM shoot soon before they're all gone.

Thanks for the heads up guys

Barabas
11-04-2009, 8:36 AM
You guys are lucky you can even find BLM land to shoot at. I can't find any near me. I search on their website and nothing. Anytime I want to shoot I have to go out to a range and pay $15 a person just to shoot. Last trip, including rental and ammo cost me $120 before I was out of there. I'd love to shoot more...but just can't afford it these days.

Every time I go shooting on public land, it costs me $25 to haul a load of other peoples trash to the dump. I should go pay for a membership at the local range, it'd end up cheaper and less hassle for me.

Bigballaizm
11-04-2009, 9:22 AM
THis is the kind of $ hit that give hunters and gun owners a bad name. PLEASE EVERYONE pick up your shells and trash were ever you go shoot.

I agree with you 100% KG!! But the fact is that if there ARE CG's that do that, they are NOT reading this thread! We are reading this because WE are the ones that have had good spots & ranges closed down, and we try to clean up and set an example only to find more crap there when we return... Its a sad situation.... :no:

50 Shooter
11-04-2009, 10:17 AM
The place I go to out in the desert "used to" have a building large enough to to drive a bus sized RV into. Sadly over the years certain people shot the rafters and walls and then finally one of the guys went out to shoot there. When he got home he sent me a picture and the building was completely gone!!!

Between the other shooters and desert rats out there they ruined a great spot to shoot. All that is left now as far as I know is a cement slab unless they've torn that up to build a new home.:rolleyes:

I know some guys went shooting out there recently but I haven't heard any news of the spot. Not to mention the fact that some "other" shooters stole the steel plates that we had set up for long range targets.

GrizzlyGuy
11-04-2009, 10:33 AM

Here's one of my favorite spots:

http://www.grizzlyguy.com/Other/Remington-700-5R-Mil-Spec/BearValleyShooting03/694575508_BMwEC-M.jpg

But you'd have to waterboard me to get it's location! :D

wkd4496
11-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Here's one of my favorite spots:

http://www.grizzlyguy.com/Other/Remington-700-5R-Mil-Spec/BearValleyShooting03/694575508_BMwEC-M.jpg

But you'd have to waterboard me to get it's location! :D

Hmmmm? :] Just kidding!

That is a beautiful spot! I always imagined a BLM spot as a dry lake bed/death valley hillside. How would you guys recommend going about finding a good spot? More further and more difficult to get to, the better?

GrizzlyGuy
11-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Hmmmm? :] Just kidding!

That is a beautiful spot! I always imagined a BLM spot as a dry lake bed/death valley hillside. How would you guys recommend going about finding a good spot? More further and more difficult to get to, the better?

It is a great spot. And that's only the view from my low shooting position. You should see the view from the high shooting position that's on a little hill near that one. :D

I study topo maps and aerial photos to find possible spots out in the national forests. This program will let you download an unlimited number of maps and aerial photos:

http://expertgps.com/

Once I find a good looking spot, I check it out on the official forest service maps to make sure it really is forest service property and not private property that is interspersed in the forests.

If all that checks out, I hop on the ATV for a look-see on the ground. In national forests you need to make sure that you're at least 150 yards from buildings, developed areas and campsites. I'm not sure what the regulations are for BLM land, but MudCamper's great thread will tell you:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457

wkd4496
11-04-2009, 11:51 AM
That's some great stuff. Can't wait for winter break to start exploring.

Thanks Grizzly!

Bigballaizm
11-04-2009, 12:05 PM
That's some great stuff. Can't wait for winter break to start exploring.
Thanks Grizzly!

Thats a beautiful spot KC! I need to find me a place like that... :D

Jel
11-04-2009, 5:26 PM
I like the way the organizers are PM'ing directions to members going to the ZETF Zombie Shoot instead of posting pics, coordinates, and detailed instructions online for anyone that has internet access to see.

You don't see fishermen giving out their secret spots and for good reason.

tba02
11-04-2009, 6:22 PM
then your fake sign would end up whistling in the wind with every other official sign with a million bullet holes in it. Signs don't mean anything to idiots,

"Just because they shot the sign, doesn't mean they read the sign!" :eek:

diginit
11-05-2009, 8:12 PM
I'm not sure they can read. I've found some nice spots. Some really trashed. Broken bottles, etc. Can't they understand that animals cut their feet in this stuff? Then die because of infection or starvation? I guess it's too much work for them to cleanup after themselves. Maybe they should bring mom along to do it for them.

Target Plinker
11-05-2009, 10:24 PM
it only take's a couple minutes after shooting to clean up. Makes you wonder what their homes look like!?!? Such a disappointment!!