PDA

View Full Version : AB 962 question

lietuvs
10-31-2009, 7:14 PM
Hello,
Passing of AB 962 prohibits on-line ordering of the ammunition. Are FFL's exempt from that? If I want ammo that's produced out of state and is not sold in the stores in CA, can I order it through the FFL?
Thanks.

freakshow10mm
10-31-2009, 7:18 PM
Yes, FFLs are exempt.

We will know if FFLs will provide a transfer fee for having ammunition shipped to them like they do firearms when the law is applied and the free market dictates. We have a year to prepare so it's hard to tell and none of us wants to incite panic.

microwaveguy
10-31-2009, 8:36 PM
Well there is alot of confusion about AB962 since some of the really evil things have been removed but there is still alot of bad in this bill.

http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_962&sess=CUR&house=B&site=sen

Above link is the final version and I think there is some room to work where it doesn't HAVE to go to a FFL

12060. As used in this article, the following terms apply:
(a) "Department" means the Department of Justice.
(b) "Handgun ammunition" means handgun ammunition as defined in
subdivision (a) of Section 12323, but excluding ammunition designed
and intended to be used in an "antique firearm" as defined in Section
921(a)(16) of Title 18 of the United States Code. Handgun ammunition
does not include blanks.
(c) "Handgun ammunition vendor" or "vendor" means any person,
firm, corporation, dealer, or any other business enterprise that is
engaged in the retail sale of any handgun ammunition, or that holds
itself out as engaged in the business of selling any handgun
ammunition.

12060(c) states vendor ........ DOES NOT say that vendor needs to have an FFL license. Walmart doesn't have an FFL and they should still be able to sell ammo if they want to put up with the paperwork . Heck just about anybody with a business license and / or resale cert could in theory be classified as a dealer or wholesaler under this bill and start selling ammo.( provided that there aren't any other local restrictions ) The real hole in this whole thing is lets say I order 10k rounds of 45acp , sell 8k off and then use the other 2k for my own use. I didn't read ( and I may have missed it ) anything about matching the inventory purchased to the amount sold ??

freakshow10mm
11-01-2009, 4:49 AM
Well, most FFLs also sell ammunition making them vendors. Yes there are some vendors who are not FFLs. I suppose we should be using term vendor for those that don't get it.

So let me rephrase my previous response:

Yes, vendors are exempt.

We will know if vendors will provide a transfer fee for having ammunition shipped to them like FFLs do with firearms when the law is applied and the free market dictates. We have a year to prepare so it's hard to tell and none of us wants to incite panic.

Quiet
11-01-2009, 2:25 PM
(C&R) 03-FFL + COE = exempt ;)