PDA

View Full Version : Magpul BAD Device

cowboyup
10-31-2009, 8:00 PM
Battery Assist Device

Anyone use this device for a while now?

Does it come loose?
Does it interfere with the ability to get on the trigger in a hurry?
Does it mat the reciever when depressed time after time?

Thanks.

technique
10-31-2009, 8:12 PM
Battery Assist Device

Anyone use this device for a while now? Since before it was released

Does it come loose? No
Does it interfere with the ability to get on the trigger in a hurry? No
Does it mat the reciever when depressed time after time? No

Thanks.

in bold.

Jicko
10-31-2009, 8:16 PM
+1

Yet, if you are going to get one and use one, please train on HOW to use it properly...

Codelphious
10-31-2009, 8:17 PM
I haven't used it, but I sure do wish they had made it ambidextrous.

technique
10-31-2009, 8:19 PM
I haven't used it, but I sure do wish they had made it ambidextrous.

It is...

Jicko
10-31-2009, 8:26 PM
It is...

Not really, if you are a leftie, you cannot use it to release the bolt with your trigger finger.

Yet, you can easy use your right hand to insert the magazine, and then your right hand to engage the BAD to release the bolt.... just a different procedure..

Josh3239
10-31-2009, 8:39 PM
Tech, so you finally got one huh? ;)

In my experince I personally prefer the EBR. I was planning on writing a comparison someday but I do like the EBR over the BAD.

Anyone use this device for a while now?

It is on my AR pistol.

Does it come loose?

With loctite it likely will not go anywhere. But 2 piece is 2 piece.

Does it interfere with the ability to get on the trigger in a hurry?

Not at all. The BAD is very low profile, too low profile if you ask me. The point of bolt catch extentions isn't to speed of reloads but rather speed up locking the bolt back during malfunction clearing. This is my gripe with the BAD. I find it to low profile, I find the EBR much easier to lock the bolt back. The EBR has more real estate to push for both locking the bolt and releasing it, the BAD is fine for releasing the bolt but much more difficult to lock the bolt back if you ask me. Then again I have small hands and fingers so YMMV.

Does it mat the reciever when depressed time after time?

This varies. How much play does your bolt catch have? I think the bolt catch my BAD is attached to have a bit more play than my EBR (which also has some play). I have noticed that the EBR never makes contact with the receiver. My BAD can rub against my receiver, there is that much play.

Requiem
10-31-2009, 9:42 PM
Not really, if you are a leftie, you cannot use it to release the bolt with your trigger finger.

Yet, you can easy use your right hand to insert the magazine, and then your right hand to engage the BAD to release the bolt.... just a different procedure..

If you were a lefty couldn't you just reach your finger a little further up the receiver and hit the normal bolt lock.... It was my understanding that righties couldn't do this which is why they created the BAD.

zx10r203
10-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Here is a similar device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElJHPEHhL48

till44
10-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Been using one/vaiant for about a year now and love it. Really helps in clearing malfunctions and reloads.

I like that it's low profile. I used Tango5 version for a while and it would sometimes snag and release the bolt when the rifle was slung.

I haven't noticed any marrings on my reciever. Luckily I rarely need it to clear malcunctions.

I have one on all of my rifles/pistols except my .22 build.

Josh3239
10-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Here is a similar device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElJHPEHhL48

That is the one. I actually prefer that to the BAD.

slappomatt
11-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Hm.. BAD on an AR pistol? I thought you had to have a BB on AR pistols? whats the point of speed reloading a gun with a BB?

Fate
11-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Hm.. BAD on an AR pistol? I thought you had to have a BB on AR pistols? whats the point of speed reloading a gun with a BB?

It's a bolt hold open device, not a mag release.

zx10r203
11-01-2009, 12:22 AM
It's a bolt hold open device, not a mag release.

+1 :D

cowboyup
11-01-2009, 2:22 PM
Thanks everyone, good information. Peace

till44
11-01-2009, 2:26 PM

Reg'ed AW, no need for a BB or 10 rnd mags.:43: So the BAD helps.

Jwood562
11-01-2009, 6:25 PM
that phase5 one is nice (ther verson 2) that is one piece and replaces the actual stock bolt catch