PDA

View Full Version : Bent Cleaning Rod?

Phil3
10-31-2009, 5:27 PM
I never really thought about it before, but how straight are cleaning rods supposed to be? My new Tipton rod when held be the handle, and the rod spun, scribes at least a 1/2" circle at the rod end. The rod, when held horizontal, always swings to a spot where the end is at a lowest point. I am fearful that the bent rod may have dragged down the side of the barrel upon withdrawal, damaging the rifling. I am using a Lucas Bore Guide, Tipton nickel plated jag in an AR15. The rod has been VERY hard to get down the barrel, even using patches little more than 3/4" square in a 223 Remington barrel.

As an aside, when the rod exits the barrel, it is not bearing against the side of the barrel from all appearances.

Is the rod defective, or...?

Thanks.

- Phil

Beelzy
10-31-2009, 5:35 PM
Bend that dude straight.

Tragic Image
10-31-2009, 5:39 PM
Bend that dude straight.

aren't tipton rods made of Carbon Fiber?

Phil3
10-31-2009, 6:35 PM
Yes, it is carbon fiber. No way to bend straight. - Phil

Beelzy
11-01-2009, 6:52 AM
If you heat it up with a heat gun or hair dryer it does.

Phil3
11-01-2009, 7:18 AM
I have heard heating the rod end where the jag attaches can straighten that part by softening the glue to permit straightening. Is that what you are referring to? In my case, after measuring against a 38" long straightedge, the entire rod is slightly curved.

- Phil

Milsurp Collector
11-01-2009, 7:23 AM
The Otis system uses a vinyl-coated cable to pull brushes and patches from the chamber towards the muzzle. No worry about bent rods or need for bore guides, and fits in a small case you can wear on your belt. They have several different kits, this one is specifically for AR-type rifles

http://www.otisgun.com/photo/350.jpg

http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=350&idp=118&his=0|115|118&cart_id=8055419.5700

Tragic Image
11-01-2009, 8:07 AM
If you heat it up with a heat gun or hair dryer it does.

I work with Carbon Fiber every day.

There is no way to undo the chemical reaction that is caused when a resin is cured without ruining the resin/fiber matrix.

JTROKS
11-01-2009, 8:21 AM
I've been foolish with cleaning a rifle once by pushing a tight fitting jag and patch through and I though my Bore Tech rod would give. After checking it over it is straight as a laser pointer. Before putting a heat gun or trying to straighten it with other procedures, why don't you contact the company that made it? If they are a company that backs their quality products 100% then they may have a replacement/repair program. If you heat it up and mess it up even more it will void the warranty.