PDA

View Full Version : FAL Sight-in Blues

Jason762
10-31-2009, 5:11 PM
Went shooting at Richmond Rod & Gun club today and brought my Para FAL with me.

Tried to get it to shoot in the black at 100 yards. Good groups, about 3-4 MOA but shot way to the left, even when I moved the rear sight to the right (as far as it would go - to the point where I couldn't tighten the left screw anymore)

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? It was really frustrating "wasting" 50 rounds of 50-cent ammo :cuss:

Jason

Barabas
10-31-2009, 5:17 PM
Is it a factory built rifle? Sounds like it might be over timed or the gas block is canted.

gunshack
10-31-2009, 5:42 PM
Shoots to the left, needs more heft
Shoots to the right, barrel's too tight.

Sound like your barrel is under timed.

Barabas
10-31-2009, 5:55 PM
Dammit! I get righty tighty, lefty loosey wrong too. Go with gunshack's advice, not mine.

CamW
10-31-2009, 5:56 PM
I had a FAL built on a STG kit that shot 6 inches to the left at 50 yards with the windage bottomed out. It turns out the barrel was bent. The guy that built the rifle told me that he's seen a bunch like this with surplus parts kits.
I put on a new barrel and it shot fine.

Jason762
10-31-2009, 5:57 PM
Is it a factory built rifle? Sounds like it might be over timed or the gas block is canted.

No, not factory built. Bought it from a guy at a gunshow in Alaska, he said he put it together from a parts kit. At the time I knew very little about it and didn't ask any additional questions.

Shoots to the left, needs more heft
Shoots to the right, barrel's too tight.

Sound like your barrel is under timed.

What does it mean for a barrel to be under timed? How do I fix this problem? The gunsmith I know, but what's involved?

Tragic Image
10-31-2009, 5:58 PM
FAL Fail?

thedrickel
10-31-2009, 5:59 PM
What's involved is turning the bbl in a little more until the sights are lined up properly, and then checking the headspace again. You need some bbl blocks and a receiver wrench, and the timing tools. You can probly tell it's off if you look down the length of the rifle, from the top.

Jason762
10-31-2009, 6:49 PM
FAL Fail?

So to speak... :rolleyes: FWIW haven't had a failure to feed/fire/extract in the numerous rounds I've put through it.

What's involved is turning the bbl in a little more until the sights are lined up properly, and then checking the headspace again. You need some bbl blocks and a receiver wrench, and the timing tools. You can probly tell it's off if you look down the length of the rifle, from the top.

Ah ok. It's sitting in the garage soaking with solvent, but I will take a look at it from the top and see if it's not lined up proper.

gunshack
11-01-2009, 2:50 PM
Odds are you won't be able to see it without timing tools. Unless you have the tools to it yourself, ask your smith to look at it again. There are a couple of different things to be checked to time the sights; the gas block and the extractor notch need to have been timed properly, the headspace will need to be rechecked and a tourqe reading should be taken.

Jason762
11-01-2009, 9:22 PM
Odds are you won't be able to see it without timing tools. Unless you have the tools to it yourself, ask your smith to look at it again. There are a couple of different things to be checked to time the sights; the gas block and the extractor notch need to have been timed properly, the headspace will need to be rechecked and a tourqe reading should be taken.

The "smith" was a guy at an Alaskan gun show. A Vietnam vet (so he says) with a biker jacket and all kinds of political patches on the back.

I will be taking it to a professional like TheDrickel or Arizona Response Systems. I'd like to have the smith remove the silver-soldered muzzle break and a flash reducer put on as well as timing the barrel.

lomalinda
11-02-2009, 6:40 AM
If you can get it to Drickle. you should be GTG. He built mine and I've had no problems with it.

-hanko
11-02-2009, 11:06 AM
You might be able to see it...but it will involve removing the gas piston and gas tube, and the bolt cover and bolt. If you can get to that point, hold the rifle in a vise and sight through the carry handle hole from the rear of the weapon. The front sight post should be centered in the left-right direction, i.e., as close to vertical as you can get it.

Adjustment will require a headspace re-check;)

hth

-hanko