PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento "Memo"?

Phil3
10-31-2009, 11:46 AM
I thought there was some memo from the Sacramento police making it clear that removal of the mag on an AR type rifle is legal if a tool is used for removal. I want to have some documents with me (CalGuns flowchart), in case I am questioned about my AR. Can someone point me to that memo, if it is still valid?

Thanks.

- Phil

ke6guj
10-31-2009, 12:01 PM
http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/Sacramento-PD-OLL_Training_Bulletin-2008-11-18.pdf

Seesm
10-31-2009, 4:20 PM
I think carrying the paperwork is a good thing. It is not going to hurt you for sure.

tiko
10-31-2009, 9:02 PM
I live in Sac, so Sac memo is perfect for me.

Swatguy10_15
10-31-2009, 9:08 PM
Hi Phil,
Just food for thought. That memo is only a departmental "memo" for Sac PD. In other words it may not hold very much ground when it comes to other LE agencies. Best thought if youre looking to avoid the hassle, get ahold of the LE agency that has jursidiction of wherever you intend to shoot. Ask what theyre opinion is on staying legal and what theyre policies are pertaining to the bullet button and such. A majority of the departments have accepted it and getting arrested is not very likely (anythings possible though we are in california) but an officer who is "feeling froggy" could still potentially seize youre weapon for review by the District Attorneys office. I know some egghead will bash me for saying this and will start on the "its my right and its legal!" train but I dont really have the money to fight a legal battle nor do I want my prized rifle in "jail" for months while Im fighting the battle to get it back..Ill leave the battles up to the people with the know and the $$$ and for now will just play by the rules as the LE agency dictates them :)

bwiese
10-31-2009, 9:36 PM
The Sac PD memo has been distributed up & down the state to other PDs, and many are aware of it.

Between the SacPD memo and various CGF-supported OLL cases - including the Sonoma Firearms case - being dismissed/dropped/no-filed, the OLL scene has been pretty quiet and it's becoming "a regular thing".

CGF will defend any legit OLL case (i.e, legit configuration, not in a bank robbery, not a prohibited person, etc.) it becomes aware of.
That includes getting the gun back.

Phil3
10-31-2009, 9:45 PM
Thanks all. I printed the memo and the CalGuns flowchart and had it with me at the range today. The range officer saw my AR, looked it over, and was fine with it. But, if LE shows and asks, at least I have something.

- Phil

Purple K
10-31-2009, 10:01 PM
I keep a laminated copy of the AW flowchart and the Sacto. memo in the case with each of my AR's. Better safe than sorry.

hoffmang
10-31-2009, 10:59 PM
Just food for thought. That memo is only a departmental "memo" for Sac PD. In other words it may not hold very much ground when it comes to other LE agencies.

Based on real world experience, the memo is far more impactful than you worry. LEAs and DA's call the number on the memo and talk to the Sac PD. Then they call BoF and get an at best wishy washy answer. Usually the other potential phone call is to a CGF attorney.

Cases don't get filed.

-Gene

ChrisTKHarris
10-31-2009, 11:08 PM
Bookmarked

Thanks

Swatter911
11-01-2009, 7:39 AM
I can tell you that Sac PD memo has been spread far and wide. I work for a large So Cal LEA and it has been included in our briefing trainings.

pennys dad
11-01-2009, 8:12 AM
we give them away at every gun show. stop by a booth grab them and drop a donation