PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Function & Safety Check

Phil3
10-31-2009, 10:33 AM
I have finished building my first AR15 and am ready to take it to the range for its first firing. I want to be sure all is in order, everything is safe, ready to go, etc. The following is what I have done...please let me know if I have missed anything, or should do something else.

1) Fasteners and other screwed together items tight (gas block, handguard, A2 stock, extension tube, barrel nut, bipod, scope caps, scope mount, pistol grip).
2) Bolt operates freely. With charging handle free, bolt can be pulled free.
3) Magazines insert OK.
4) Scope within a few inches of rifle bore centerline. Should be on paper.
5) Using two snap caps loaded in magazine, bolt snaps closed using bolt release. Trigger fires weapon. Pulling bolt back w/charging handle ejects snap cap. Releasing bolt again loads another snap cap. Pull trigger, and pull bolt back a second time ejects snap cap, and bolt stays open.
6) Upper receiver door pops open upon bolt operation.
7) Safety operates when weapon is cocked. Non-operational when not cocked.
8) Mag release w/bullet button operates.
9) Trigger, bolt, back of bolt lugs, charging handle, lubricated.
10) New barrel bore cleaned.

Thank you for any suggestions. A bit nervous about first firing. I will be using PMC FMJ 55 grain ammunition to start with.

- Phil

Greg-Dawg
10-31-2009, 10:36 AM
11) Do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about!

someR1
10-31-2009, 10:57 AM
11) Do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about!

LMAO!!

Sounds like you did a thorough check....take that beast to the range!!

oo &....:useless:

Phil3
10-31-2009, 11:00 AM
Beast is right. With scope, empty mag, and bipod, it weighs in at 12.8 lbs, and that with a lightweight A2 stock.

- Phil

someR1
10-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Beast is right. With scope, empty mag, and bipod, it weighs in at 12.8 lbs, and that with a lightweight A2 stock.

- Phil

pix phil....PRON PIX!!

Gio
10-31-2009, 11:17 AM
Hey Phil what are the specs of the build? Lower, LPK, Upper, Accessories used?

-Gio

evidens83
10-31-2009, 11:27 AM
Pictures man pictures! Sounds like your AR is ready to rock have fun!

jmlivingston
10-31-2009, 1:06 PM
Do an internet search for an M16 Function Check, it'll give you the steps which the military uses. i.e. http://www.notoo7.com/basic8.html

Brownell's website also has a really nice video which goes well beyond the simple Function Check.

CHS
10-31-2009, 1:07 PM
Did you truly function-check the lower by itself?

1.) have weapon on "fire"
2.) cock the hammer back, does it lock back?
3.) does the trigger release the hammer?
4.) hold the trigger to the rear, now cock hammer
5.) does the disconnector hook "snap" into the matching hook on the hammer?
6.) let go of the trigger, does the hammer "pop" back into cocked place?
7.) pull the trigger, does it release the hammer?
8.) cock the hammer again, now put the weapon on safe.
9.) does the trigger release the hammer when pulled? PULL HARD

Also, have you checked to make sure that your hammer spring is installed correctly? The legs should be PARALLEL to the bottom of the receiver. Like this:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/AR-15-Fire-Control-Group.gif

See how the legs of the hammer spring come from below the hammer pin, and rest on the trigger pin, parallel to the bottom of the receiver? Make sure that the hammer spring legs aren't coming from the TOP of the hammer pin. They would be coming down to rest on the trigger pin at a sharp downward angle.

That's all I can really think of. Other than that, it sounds like your rifle is running just fine.

Phil3
10-31-2009, 1:55 PM
Yes on 1, 2, and 3. Did not do 4, 5, 6, and 7. 8 and 9 are OK, but I did not pull real hard on it either.

The hammer springs are resting on top of the trigger pin and are shown in your image.

The snap caps show signs of being hit be a firing pin, so that works. The trigger is a Geissele two stage Match, so not sure how that changes your instructions with regards to trigger/hammer function, if at all.

- Phil

Phil3
10-31-2009, 9:21 PM
Per the request of a few, I quickly took some photos. These are not great. I will post some better ones later, but since you guys are impatient :), I put these up now, with specs.

The Specs:

- SunDevil billet lower receiver w/tension screw.
- Rock River Arms lower parts kit.
- C Plus mags.
- Geissele Match 2 stage trigger. 2 lb. 2oz. 1st stage, 8 oz. 2nd stage (as currently set).
- Rock River Arms A2 stock kit.
- SunDevil billet upper receiver.
- Rock River Arms charging handle.
- Young Mfg National Match chrome bolt assembly.
- Krieger barrel (22" long, 1+ inch to .920" muzzle diameter, 1:9" twist, 223 Remington chamber, cut to minimum SAAMI specs).
- Evolution Gun Works clamp-on style gas block.
- Brownells gas tube.
- JP Rifles handguard.
- Armalite one piece scope mount.
- Bushnell 426245T Tactical scope, 6 - 24 x 50X (mildot)
- Butler Creek scope caps.
- Harris 6" - 9" bipod, notched legs.

This is my first ever AR15. I fired it today, and nothing blew up, so that is good. I'll be back out tomorrow to fire more rounds.

- Phil