PDA

View Full Version : SKS Trigger Assembly Questions

dadoody
10-31-2009, 1:29 AM
Hi guys.

I would like to learn about the SKS Trigger Assembly.

I found a surplusrifle.com's guide to lightening the trigger. (http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/wolffsksspring/index.asp)

I may try some of that, but one outstanding question I do have is this: I've recently bought a refurbished 1952 Russian SKS from another board member. It's in excellent condition, but one thing I noticed when handling it was that the safety doesn't have a spring and seemed to stay in place through friction.

I'm used to my other SKS' safeties. They're either on or off. with a "click" be cause the spring keeps them on or off.

Now, I thought it might be a broken spring until I found a post on the SKS survivor board that stated that some Russian refurbs are missing springs and are held through friction from the refurbers.

I'm wondering: Has anyone here handled a refurb that had a friction safety? Is it a permenant modification or can I add a trigger spring to it? Anything I should look out for when messing with these sort of thing?

bombadillo
10-31-2009, 6:59 AM
Tagged.

jonni
10-31-2009, 10:51 AM
I may try some of that, but one outstanding question I do have is this: I've recently bought a refurbished 1952 Russian SKS from another board member. It's in excellent condition, but one thing I noticed when handling it was that the safety doesn't have a spring and seemed to stay in place through friction.

I'm used to my other SKS' safeties. They're either on or off. with a "click" be cause the spring keeps them on or off.

Now, I thought it might be a broken spring until I found a post on the SKS survivor board that stated that some Russian refurbs are missing springs and are held through friction from the refurbers.

I'm wondering: Has anyone here handled a refurb that had a friction safety? Is it a permenant modification or can I add a trigger spring to it? Anything I should look out for when messing with these sort of thing?

I bought a 1951 SKS from a member here on calguns in great shape. The safety does appear to be your friction type without a spring...

JAGGUY
10-31-2009, 12:02 PM
All early SKS safetys were friction held up until '53 or so. Just the way they were made. '52 was the last year that had several early features.
Check out Yooper John's website, lots of info there.
-g

Full Clip
10-31-2009, 10:42 PM
My 1950 Russian refurb also has the friction safety (and the spring-loaded firing pin)...

dadoody
11-01-2009, 9:25 PM
All early SKS safetys were friction held up until '53 or so. Just the way they were made. '52 was the last year that had several early features.
Check out Yooper John's website, lots of info there.
-g

Ah. Thanks for der info guys :)

I'm checkin out der Yooper's now