PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Mag Info

GlockNgtSgt
06-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Hey all, I just purchased my first two firearms, a Beretta Cougar 8000F and a Sig P229. I'm looking to get some extra magazines for both firearms. My question is, what is a good price to pay for 10 round mags (for each), and might a good place be to get them? I'm looking for factory magazines for both of them (no mecgar cheapies). Thanks in advance for the help.

-hanko
06-14-2005, 3:51 AM
Mecgar may well have made the mags that came with factory guns, they're definitely not 'cheapies'.

-hanko

Turbinator
06-14-2005, 6:13 AM
GlockNgtSgt,

Mec-Gar make some of the best mags in the industry - I don't know why you would call them "cheapies". Care to enlighten us?

Turby

06-14-2005, 6:32 AM
Originally posted by GlockNgtSgt:
Hey all, I just purchased my first two firearms, a Beretta Cougar 8000F and a Sig P229. I'm looking to get some extra magazines for both firearms. My question is, what is a good price to pay for 10 round mags (for each), and might a good place be to get them? I'm looking for factory magazines for both of them (no mecgar cheapies). Thanks in advance for the help.

You can get factory mags on Ebay. All original if you know what I mean. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif As for Megcar, I think they're owned by Beretta and are not bad, but I prefer factory originals as well.

GlockNgtSgt
06-14-2005, 7:10 AM
Mec-Gar make some of the best mags in the industry - I don't know why you would call them "cheapies". Care to enlighten us?

Sure, enlightenment is what I'm all about. The factory magazines that I am looking for will undoubtedly cost more than the mec-gar mags on the market, hence they are cheap(er) when looking at overall purchasing power. aka 'cheapies'. I apologize if I offended you in anyway, I didn't mean to start the mec-gar wars with an out-of-context word.

bwiese
06-14-2005, 8:40 AM
GlockNgtSgt...

I'd suggest looking at mailorder vendors from Shotgun News. CDNN, in particular, seems to carry 10rd factory marked & factory-grade magazines for common autoloaders. Browse around

http://www.cdnninvestments.com

But I'd stay away, in particular, from Forrest, Inc. Some of these dubious fish substitute low quality mags and call 'em "OEM". Forrest seems to have gotten a bad rep awhile back in selling newbies "GI-style" AR15 magazines when true USGI mags were the only ones you'd ever want.

Do note that MecGar is an magazine OEM for various gun companies and actually makes logo-marked mags for these cos. I have ZERO hesitation buying MecGars: equal in fit, finish & operation to supposed 'factory' mags.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

gimmejr
06-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Sigforum has people selling old factory 10 round mags very often. If your 229 is a 9mm usually easier to find them listed for the 228 on ebay. Best deal I got was 2 factory 226 mags and a set of Hogue grips for $25 delivered. 226 mags also work in the 229 except they stick out a bit at the bottom.

Turbinator
06-14-2005, 5:17 PM
Originally posted by bwiese:
But I'd stay away, in particular, from Forrest, Inc. Some of these dubious fish substitute low quality mags and call 'em "OEM". Forrest seems to have gotten a bad rep awhile back in selling newbies "GI-style" AR15 magazines when true USGI mags were the only ones you'd ever want.

Forrest also has other problems with it - the original owner apparently had a really bad attitude, and would not treat customers right. I don't have personal experience with this, just repeating what I've heard, so take it as such - I would urge anyone who is looking to buy mags to first check around to see what the consensus is on Forrest, Inc. before placing an order.

Turby