PDA

View Full Version : Guns bought this year could outfit 2 armies

DarthSean
10-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Guns purchased legally in the United States this year could outfit two armies – and not just any armies, the armies of China and India, according to new government reports cited by a website for sport-shooting enthusiasts.

The federal National Instant Criminal Background Check System database statistics show there were more than 3.7 million background checks during the first three months of this year, compared to about 8 million annually not even a decade ago, according to the documentation assembled by Ammoland.com.

That's not individual guns, that's background checks, the organization pointed out. If a purchaser obtains two, three or even four guns at a time, often there is only one background check.

"You also bought 1,529,635,000 rounds of ammunition in just the month of December. Yeah, that is right, that is billion with a 'b.' This number takes no account of reloading or reloaded ammunition," the report said.

According to the Global Security website, the Indian army is estimated to have about 1 million soldiers. A news report from several years ago estimated the Chinese army at 1.7 million, although recent estimates put that at 2.25 million.

The report cites the quote from Admiral Isoruko Yamamota, a World War II leader for Japan, who said, "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

The report said the evaluation on firearms and ammunition purchases are "based on low end numbers."

"The numbers presented are only PART of the overall numbers of arms and ammunition that have been sold. The actual numbers are much higher."

That's because no private individual-to-individual sales would be included, and there's no assessment of how many guns are purchased through each background check.

"Law abiding citizens appear to be concerned about our 'right to own and bear arms,'" said one forum page participant.

The statistics show that U.S consumers sought 3.1 million gun background checks every three months last year, for an annual total of 12.7 million. The annual averages had been about 8.4 million for a number of recent years, but there was a surge starting last October, when check requests rose suddenly from 970,000 a month to nearly 1.2 million. Totals have remained at that higher level.

The answer is finally here to the real reason why guns and church must mix!

Another forum participant added, "It's logical that gun sales took sharp upturn. The concern is that the super majority of Democrats in Washington will make firearms either harder to obtain or outright contraband. … As for myself, I have all the weapons I could possibly need, so I've just been stocking up on ammo because I think ammo will be subject to new regulations and increased taxes under this president and Congress."

Steve Sanetti, the head of a shooting sports organization, said, "Americans concerned about their ability to purchase many types of home defense, hunting and target shooting firearms in the future are continuing to purchase these products in record numbers today."

WND reported that the usually liberal 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms is "deeply rooted in this nation's history and tradition" and long has been regarded as the "true palladium of liberty," so it therefore must be applied against state and local government weapon restrictions as well as federal gun limits.

But the decision appears to run counter to the general direction sought by the administration of President Obama three months into his tenure.

He's already advocated for a treaty that would require a federal license for hunters to reload their ammunition, has expressed a desire to ban "assault" weapons, has seen a plan to require handgun owners to submit to mental health evaluations and sparked a rush on ammunition purchases with his history of anti-gun positions.

Obama also supported the handgun ban in Washington, D.C., before it was tossed out last year by the Supreme Court.
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=96677

It's a little reassuring to know we are better armed than the government.

Uriah02
10-30-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm not done yet...

Legasat
10-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Yep, and more to come.

Capt. Speirs
10-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Sh*t, just gettin' started!

Mstrty
10-30-2009, 10:48 PM
I am absolutely holding up my end of the deal! Wife is not happy;)

Mr.Pickles
10-30-2009, 10:54 PM
glad I can arm almost my whole street:43:

Harley
10-30-2009, 10:58 PM
I am absolutely holding up my end of the deal! Wife is not happy;)
X2....................:D

Werewolf1021
10-30-2009, 11:15 PM
45%= Pry from my cold dead hands

1%=All other anti-gun options (too many, barbaric etc)

WIN

redneckshootist
10-31-2009, 7:12 AM
Im building them as fast as I can;) as soon as the state gives me my cfld Ill start selling the guns and help do my to part to supply y'all with arms.:D

M198
10-31-2009, 7:17 AM
Only two? This isn't the America I know.

halifax
10-31-2009, 7:36 AM
Those would be the American militia and the Mexican drug cartels ?

The Director
10-31-2009, 7:49 AM
The numbers are irrelevant since last time I checked, armies weren't equipped with 10/22s, over and under shotguns, deer guns and all the other stuff people bought.

I think an anti could have a field day with that article....."how many guns do you guys need!" and such. I bet the percentage of military capable rifles bought in this time in military calibers is pretty low- probably under 30% of guns bought. Just a guess.

CSACANNONEER
10-31-2009, 7:53 AM
The numbers are irrelevant since last time I checked, armies weren't equipped with 10/22s, over and under shotguns, deer guns and all the other stuff people bought.

I think an anti could have a field day with that article....."how many guns do you guys need!" and such. I bet the percentage of military capable rifles bought in this time in military calibers is pretty low- probably under 30% of guns bought. Just a guess.

Hell, they can have a field day with anything. They know how to make ***** up and twist the facts anyway. Who cares? BTW, it's not always about needing something but, this article failed to touch on the fact that many of these guns were sold to first time gun owners. That shoud scare them far more than if they had all been sold to avid collectors with large collections.

trashman
10-31-2009, 7:57 AM

That's a salient observation...although the thought of several Chinese army divisions equipped with 10/22's from Big 5 kinda cracks me up.

--Neill

cortayack
10-31-2009, 8:15 AM
We might be more armed than the Government, but we are not organizated like the Government.....We are still just armed individuals! Even tho I heard militias are raising in the South.....

It's good the heard our numbers are raising and individuals are exericing their rights.......Its not a dieing sport.....

sierratangofoxtrotunion
10-31-2009, 8:25 AM
Let's not forget, that doesn't mean the number of guns in civilian hands increased by that number; a significant amount of the guns purchased will be used guns.

69Mach1
10-31-2009, 8:28 AM
We still have two months left. If we try, I think we can buy enough to also equip the Salvation Army.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
10-31-2009, 8:33 AM
That's a salient observation...although the thought of several Chinese army divisions equipped with 10/22's from Big 5 kinda cracks me up.

--Neill

Sure, but an army of 1M Chinese attacking a mainland with ~300M guns, even if they're all 10/22s would be... daunting. However I believe if push came to shove, China could field a military a bit bigger than 1M. But it would have to be pretty interesting circumstances for China to attack their biggest customer.

VW*Mike
10-31-2009, 8:55 AM
Guns are a hobby and a way of life here in America thats never going to go away. Much like baseball, rock n' roll and muscle cars. All of us are aware of the problem the UK has with muggings at knife point, clubs, and even VCR's. I buy guns all the time, just like my wife buys 3-4 purses and a bunch of shoes every year and they sit in the closet, or a friend that collects Hotwheels (I do that too), we buy guns. I could kill someone with one of her purses fully loaded, a leather sack that weighs 10 lbs can do some damage!

Nobody would ever be able to launch an attack on us unless they came through Canada or Mexico. They would be met at our border with citizens banded together and armed to the teeth. IF China could some how float an armada past our Navy, what, a MILLION troops spread up and down the coast would be no match for our military and a pissed off and armed populace on home turf. Hence our right to keep and bear arms, a regulated militia, to protect the country and its citizens. A more likely scenario is the launch a few nukes at us, most get shot down. Invasion of 1st world countries just doesn't happen anymore.

OlderThanDirt
10-31-2009, 9:05 AM
Sure, but an army of 1M Chinese attacking a mainland with ~300M guns, even if they're all 10/22s would be... daunting. However I believe if push came to shove, China could field a military a bit bigger than 1M. But it would have to be pretty interesting circumstances for China to attack their biggest customer.

Even with recent Naval advances, it would take China months to move 1M Chinese. Besides, there is a lot more money in keeping Americans hooked on cheap Chinese junk.

chuckdc
10-31-2009, 9:05 AM

Most of what people seem to have bought are handguns and semi-auto rifles. The shotguns and hunting guns did NOT fly off the shelves like the ARs did. There weren't back-orders for Rem 700's, but there were for M1As ARs and the like. I'd push that percentage of military caliber/type guns to over 50%. Besides, bolt-action rifles can still do a LOT from a far distance. Personally, I wouldn't want someone with an '06 or .300 Win mag or a .270 shooting at me. I don't want ANYONE shooting at me, but those "deer" calibers make some mighty big holes.

VW*Mike
10-31-2009, 9:12 AM
Besides, if China invaded us, not only the aforementioned cheap Chinese goods, they will lose all that money in our debt they bought! If you kill someone that owes you money, you never get to collect! Check Mate!

Spitfire75
10-31-2009, 9:26 AM
Sh*t, just gettin' started!

THIS.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
10-31-2009, 9:44 AM
Even with recent Naval advances, it would take China months to move 1M Chinese. Besides, there is a lot more money in keeping Americans hooked on cheap Chinese junk.

Yes, my analysis completely ignored the logistics of getting a million people moved from A to B.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
10-31-2009, 9:52 AM
Guns bought this year could outfit 2 armies

Really the title should be "guns bought in just 3 months this year could out fit 2 armies."

OlderThanDirt
10-31-2009, 10:10 AM
Yes, my analysis completely ignored the logistics of getting a million people moved from A to B.

Plus the Chinese aren't known for their swimming ability.

Ducman
10-31-2009, 10:25 AM
China have already Invaded America, Just check your household on how many "made in China " you own.

Window_Seat
10-31-2009, 12:38 PM
I would like to know how this study compares to whatever studies of "new gun ownership" after Bill Clinton became President. I would imagine there might be numbers out there, but I might venture to guess that today's numbers are well above the numbers of 1992. What I'm ultimately waiting for is 11/02/2010. :cool:

Erik.

BigDogatPlay
10-31-2009, 3:08 PM
Besides, there is a lot more money in keeping Americans hooked on cheap Chinese junk.

If that cheap Chinese stuff includes ammo......

bodger
10-31-2009, 3:13 PM
I'm doing my part. Just ask Fort Courage Armory!

Reloaderx2
10-31-2009, 5:06 PM
Those stats are a beautiful thing.

Aptos
10-31-2009, 9:19 PM
That article makes me want to buy another one!

MikeR
11-01-2009, 1:15 AM
I got enough to outfit the Canadian military this year. I probably even have something for their tugboat Navy. :p

locosway
11-01-2009, 7:07 AM
Wow, that's some impressive numbers. I can't help but wonder what other countries leaders think... The citizens of the US have more small arms than other large countries military!!!

I love it, really, I do!

bodger
11-01-2009, 7:21 AM
Armed citizenry in the U.S. made the Japanese think twice about a mainland invasion.
I believe there was a quote from a ranking Japanese military planner, something to the effect of "There would be a rifle behind every tree".

As John Wayne said in Stagecoach as there was an attempt to disarm him:

"You might need me and this here Winchester, Curly. I saw a farmhouse burnin' last night."

The Director
11-01-2009, 7:43 AM
Armed citizenry in the U.S. made the Japanese think twice about a mainland invasion.
I believe there was a quote from a ranking Japanese military planner, something to the effect of "There would be a rifle behind every tree".

Admiral Yamamoto: "There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" - about invading the American mainland.

bodger
11-01-2009, 1:06 PM
Admiral Yamamoto: "There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" - about invading the American mainland.

That's the one! Thanks.

And he was right about that too.

God Bless America.

gbran
11-01-2009, 2:43 PM
The anti's for years have used the ole " there will be blood in the streets" line every time they want to fight a pro-gun position. They have stressed over and over what would happen if they couldn't get guns off the streets.

Here, we have millions of extra guns in the hands of Americans with no corresponding spike in "blood in the streets."

Vectrexer
11-01-2009, 3:42 PM
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=96677

It's a little reassuring to know we are better armed than the government.

Hurray for America's gun buyers!

Mstrty
11-01-2009, 5:56 PM
Let's not forget, that doesn't mean the number of guns in civilian hands increased by that number; a significant amount of the guns purchased will be used guns.

I will start browsing the funeral notices. Don't want any Anti Family members turning in any perfectly experienced firearms without a decent offer on my part.:D

ttboy
11-02-2009, 7:12 AM
I made my contribution. Bought five long guns, three pre Obama as I had a feeling he might win and two post, and glad I did!!!!

CowboyShooter
11-02-2009, 7:29 AM
The federal National Instant Criminal Background Check System database statistics show there were more than 3.7 million background checks during the first three months of this year, compared to about 8 million annually not even a decade ago, according to the documentation assembled by Ammoland.com.

That's not individual guns, that's background checks, the organization pointed out. If a purchaser obtains two, three or even four guns at a time, often there is only one background check.

"You also bought 1,529,635,000 rounds of ammunition in just the month of December. Yeah, that is right, that is billion with a 'b.' This number takes no account of reloading or reloaded ammunition," the report said.

Let Freedom Ring!

But when you have something like a hundred million adults, what's so hard to believe about less than 5% buying a gun or two?

Keep buyin' America....

:D

10ring45
11-02-2009, 8:24 AM
Well I am doing my part lets try and get 3 armies outfitted by the end of the year team!!!

DDRH
11-02-2009, 8:47 AM
nope, definitely not done, just started my collection =)

5ohguy
11-02-2009, 8:49 AM
"Japan would never invade the United States. We would find a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Isoroku Yamamoto, WWII

Super Spy
11-02-2009, 9:16 AM
If I only had money those numbers would be going up even faster.......

bomb_on_bus
11-02-2009, 7:13 PM
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo351/dasulenski/Really.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo351/dasulenski/thfrenchrly.gif

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo351/dasulenski/Orry.jpg

I couldn't help it!:D

forgiven
11-02-2009, 7:50 PM
To bad that those who should be alarmed could really give a s..t!

GaffSD
11-02-2009, 8:21 PM
All,

There are no three Navys on earth that can get enough troops to the US for an ivasion. Even assuming that the armed forces alone would be defending... They simply wouln't get here.

The US Navy is the only Navy that projects power effectively on a large scale. The rest are either geared toward small scale ops, or are defensive in nature.

The US Navy could send enemy tonnage to the bottom ad-nauseum... In its sleep.

Not the focus of the discussion, but had to support my peeps!

Ron Craighead
Former Petty Officer First Class (surface warfare)
United States Navy

(Okay. I'm biased. It's my right!)

DigitalAmmunition
11-02-2009, 8:34 PM
I love the fact that BHO is anti-2A, yet his very presence in the white house has driven the demand on guns & all things related so high, we have reports like this coming out. It's a beautiful thing. Love the irony in it all: largely anti-2A administration takes office, and the guns/ammunition industry booms!

luckystrike
11-03-2009, 1:53 AM
Guns are a hobby and a way of life here in America thats never going to go away. Much like baseball, rock n' roll and muscle cars. All of us are aware of the problem the UK has with muggings at knife point, clubs, and even VCR's. I buy guns all the time, just like my wife buys 3-4 purses and a bunch of shoes every year and they sit in the closet, or a friend that collects Hotwheels (I do that too), we buy guns. I could kill someone with one of her purses fully loaded, a leather sack that weighs 10 lbs can do some damage!

Nobody would ever be able to launch an attack on us unless they came through Canada or Mexico. They would be met at our border with citizens banded together and armed to the teeth. IF China could some how float an armada past our Navy, what, a MILLION troops spread up and down the coast would be no match for our military and a pissed off and armed populace on home turf. Hence our right to keep and bear arms, a regulated militia, to protect the country and its citizens. A more likely scenario is the launch a few nukes at us, most get shot down. Invasion of 1st world countries just doesn't happen anymore.

true. the U.S. is great with battelfields that have front lines. like Iraq we just drove thru the place then they comeout at night to stab us in the back pretty much. there was no frontlines established after the whole 2 weeks it took us to get to baghdad. the only way The United States could be invaded is from the insideout, like a bunch of hidden cells in the U.S at key strategic points wich would hurt us the most, all of them waiting for a sign or something.

sorry, I think too hard about some stuff and sometimes it kinda creeps me out.

high_revs
11-03-2009, 6:27 AM
i'm probably just 1/2 way on rifles! then i pick up back up on the pistols collection. my friend already kids with i can hold a fort down with the rifles/pistols i have plus ammo. LOL

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo351/dasulenski/thfrenchrly.gif

c'est drôle LOL

bomb_on_bus
11-03-2009, 3:35 PM
All,

There are no three Navys on earth that can get enough troops to the US for an ivasion. Even assuming that the armed forces alone would be defending... They simply wouln't get here.

The US Navy is the only Navy that projects power effectively on a large scale. The rest are either geared toward small scale ops, or are defensive in nature.

The US Navy could send enemy tonnage to the bottom ad-nauseum... In its sleep.

Not the focus of the discussion, but had to support my peeps!

Ron Craighead
Former Petty Officer First Class (surface warfare)
United States Navy

(Okay. I'm biased. It's my right!)

This +100%

The only way they would have a chance of invaison is on that is preceded with nukes. Otherwise your going to have all those guns and that ammo being fired at ya with the military and police etc. as well :D GO USA!

Cato
11-03-2009, 3:41 PM
If my Constitutional right to keep and bear arms wasn't being infringed and I felt safe that it would always be protected I wouldn't own a single gun. I'd probably just rent a gun once a year at the range. I live in a safe neighborhood and doubt I'd have to defend against zombies or civil unrest. Now since we have Marxists in power, I feel the need to be prepared for every possible scenario. Now I can't personally outfit an army, but I could support a squad of soldiers with plenty of firepower.