PDA

View Full Version : Any Experience with Remington 7615?

sp_train_77
10-30-2009, 9:29 PM
Hey Gang,

Have any of you seen, held, or shot the new Remington 7615, the pump rifle re-configured to accept AR-15 magazines and equipped with a Knoxx CAR-style stock? Chambered for 223 Remington, or does it have a 5.56 Nato chamber?

gotgunz
10-30-2009, 9:59 PM
For some reason I really want one of these.

I have not shot one but have handled one and it seemed like a nice gun. I prefer the "police" version with the fixed full length pistol grip stock though.

X-NewYawker
10-30-2009, 10:28 PM
I have had TWO of them (with the two stock variations) and got rid of both of them on gunbroker --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/RemingtonsWide.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/7615-1.jpg

It's basically a 20 gauge receiver 870 barreled in 223 (and they've got one in 308 that doesn't use AI mags so fft!)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/7615-CU.jpg

BRILLIANT idea -- use your old GI mags and be semi-auto ban safe -- that I SO wanted them to be good guns. But the guns didn't pump well, mags didn't fit into plastic magwell easily and didn't feed well, rifle didn't group well -- I was devastated.

sp_train_77
10-31-2009, 2:45 PM
I SO wanted them to be good guns. But the guns didn't pump well, mags didn't fit into plastic magwell easily and didn't feed well, rifle didn't group well

Plastic magazine well? That is a deal breaker for me, a possible point of failure.

Thanks everybody for your feedback.

zx9rdr
11-25-2009, 9:15 AM
X pretty much nailed it with the history of how the device came about form the 20g 870.

I think though that it actually works decent. It seems like the hangup in the cycle is that the pump action isn't as light and smooth as a 870 12g. You need to give it a solid tug and go all the way back, and then a solid push all the way back forward into battery. Not unlike a dirty pump shotgun that's had 500-700 rounds through it without a cleaning. Without the solid tug back and push forwards, I would agree that it doesn't cycle correctly. Another analogy is to cycle a 3.5" chamber shotgun like a Nova when you've shot 2.75" all your life, it's easy to short cycle and not cycle a new round in completely due to muscle memory of the shorter cycling mechanism.

The mag well appears to be a type of resin, though I wouldn't exactly say plastic. As much as I wouldn't say I don't trust MagPul mags or stocks because they're plastic. I trust the plastic mag well in the grip of most pistols. In fact, some problematic MagPul polymer mags that are tight fitting in Daniel Defense and Stag rifles seem to slide right in, lock, and release without problem in the 7615

Grouping, at 50 yards shooting at steel, outdoors at a windy Nevada range, it will hit the spring loaded plate with just the iron rifle sites relatively consistently, though the target part that springs back is a relatively large 8-10" area or so.

Is this a precision rifle? Probably not. Does it allow you to keep all those pre-ban mags from the early '90s loaded and legally ready for action? It would appear so.

BTW, awesome pictures above, when my eyes first looked at the picture with the 3 stacked one upon the other, my eyes almost made them morph from a 700 to a 870... haha.