PDA

View Full Version : an intruder is in your house: You unlock your gun and ... (what do you do next?)

Clayface
10-30-2009, 7:44 PM
What's happen : you brushing your teeth and your hear you dog barking bloody murder : you know no one is supposed to be home and maybe it was just a false alarm and your imagination is running wild and your dog needs to get punched in the neck. Well what would you do next ?

Would you
A) say "Who's there ? I am armed and I will use force" ( and basically give away your position or atleast where abouts) .

B) stay silent and try to perform a sweep of the house without giving away your location or the fact that someone is home.

C) Call the cops and stay put.

D) other -post your response.

pennys dad
10-30-2009, 7:55 PM
Arm myself, move to a defendable position in the hall, call my dog to me, call PD and announce I am armed and called PD

NRAhighpowershooter
10-30-2009, 7:56 PM
First off.. I wouldn't have a #$%^$#@!#$!@#! locked gun............

waitwha?
10-30-2009, 7:57 PM
Arm myself, move to a defendable position in the hall, call my dog to me, call PD and announce I am armed and called PD

I'd probably do the same.

M47_Dragon
10-30-2009, 8:00 PM

+1

I would close with and destroy my enemy.

But seriously, my house isn't a maze. Pretty easy to clear without too much movement - and easy to clear without sacrificing cover. I would try to do so without calling the PD.

It's an old house. If I called the PD every time I heard a strange noise, I'd be in jail. Oh, and I don't have a dog... nor do I brush my teeth. :D

elSquid
10-30-2009, 8:02 PM
What's happen : you brushing your teeth and your hear you dog barking bloody murder : you know no one is supposed to be home and maybe it was just a false alarm and your imagination is running wild and your dog needs to get punched in the neck. Well what would you do next ?

-- snip --

It's a trick. Get an axe.

-- Michael

packnrat
10-30-2009, 8:03 PM
If the threat does not go away from the dogs barking.
Then it is up to me to protect my self and my family.

Remember when seconds count.
The police are only 1/2 hour away.

S.S.S

tango5
10-30-2009, 8:23 PM
In my case i would arm myself and sweep the house. My layout of my home is pretty open. If they are unarmed, i will hold them at gun point until the police arrive, if they are armed, i hope someone is praying for them if they choose to use their weapon.

Greg-Dawg
10-30-2009, 8:26 PM
E). Use my ninja skills...and have my Glock Fo-tay by my side.

berto
10-30-2009, 8:29 PM
Lob a grenade down the hall and hope the dog doesn't think we're playing fetch.

tombinghamthegreat
10-30-2009, 8:34 PM

I was going to say the same thing. A gun for SD has no purpose being locked up.

five.five-six
10-30-2009, 8:36 PM
I would open a dialog with the misguided soul, knowing that the only reason he is astray is that society has abandoned him will work in my favor negotiating a peaceful resolution

GlennG31
10-30-2009, 8:36 PM

I like this train of thought...but I wouldn't use a grenade. :D I would just throw something downstairs that would make noise. It should startle the intruder enough for him/her to reveal his/her location, and I could make my move based on that. If the intruder bugs out because of the noise, all the better, so I avoid a confrontation.

Vinz
10-30-2009, 8:45 PM
but how do you know if its an intruder? My house is pretty secure.

If there was an intruder I'd grab my bedside piece and we would lock up in the safe room and call Police. Oh, gun safe is in the safe room. :rolleyes:
vinz

Spyder
10-30-2009, 8:58 PM
It's a trick. Get an axe.

-- Michael

Clatuuuuu, verata...

Ladyfox
10-30-2009, 8:59 PM
Well, as others have pointed out, I'd not have my weapon secured in such a way that would prevent me from using it.

My SOP would read something like this:

1. Once intruder detected I'd gear up, weapon loaded and flashlight in hand, and have my hubby dial 911 and keep them on the line advising them that there is an intruder in our home and that I am armed.

2. Since our residence is pretty small, and the voices would pretty much tip them off, I'd be crouched behind my side of the bed with a clear shot of the doorway. This would have an added advantage that it would not go into any of the adjacent units and provide the maximum amount of backstop to try and prevent any rounds leaving the building.

3. If the intruder came into view he would get lit up with the flashlight, to verify if friend or foe, and would get one warning to leave. Friend or not they entered my home without my consent and my friends know that if they ever do so what the results could be if they advanced any further instead of leaving the way they came. If any part of their body crossed the threshold I would fire until the threat is stopped.

The entire encounter would end with the intruder leaving under their own power or being carried out on a stretcher filled with however many 9mm 115gr Winchester Ranger SXT it took to do the job.

GlennG31
10-30-2009, 9:05 PM
but how do you know if its an intruder? My house is pretty secure.

If there was an intruder I'd grab my bedside piece and we would lock up in the safe room and call Police. Oh, gun safe is in the safe room. :rolleyes:
vinz

My house is pretty secure as well. I make sure everything is locked up tight after I walk the dog at night. So if I hear any unidentified noises coming from the first floor that isn't my dog, then I consider he/she/it to be an intruder unless identified to not be one.

My stairs spiral up to the second floor, so it makes it easy to cover the stairs from the top landing while my wife and daughter lock up in a room.

Off topic, your avatar cracks me up every time I see it. I love that movie!

Vanguard
10-30-2009, 9:08 PM
I'd blast off and nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

technique
10-30-2009, 9:09 PM
Shoot them dead....and then what ever I say is what happened.

Baxter
10-30-2009, 9:18 PM
What he ^ said.

Uriah02
10-30-2009, 9:21 PM

+1
I may or may not attempt a sweep or call out depending on how odd the sounds are or if I know anyone else in the house that should be there are away.

M. Sage
10-30-2009, 9:23 PM

Yeah, really... What does "unlock" my gun mean?

Loaded Sig P220 on the desk right now, it's got a light on the rail and would be what I'd pick up if I wasn't sure if something was going on or not.

If someone kicks my front or back door right this second, I'm grabbing the Yugo underfolder just behind me on the right and my cell phone. Dial 911, hit send, drop the phone and since I'm on the second floor, just cover the stairs with the AK. Nobody's coming up those stairs.

I have no plan to announce that I'm armed, or even that I'm here, especially if I'm going downstairs to clear rooms. They'll find out all they need to know when they have a bright light in their eyes and an angry white guy telling them to get on the floor... or holes appearing through their chest.

Clayface
10-30-2009, 9:44 PM
Another "what if scenario" god you coudl go on for days just imagining the worst. Really this thread is made in good fun. That's all, the internets is not keeping a log of what you say on boards.

fearmonger
10-30-2009, 9:48 PM
I'd start shooting while screaming STOP RESISTING. That's how the pros do it.

bambam8d1
10-30-2009, 9:54 PM
I'd grab a chicken soup for the mother's soul book and start reading it aloud.... boring the intruder to death.. just as he falls asleep i kick him in the gootch and keep kickin till the cops show up

Sean Vax
10-30-2009, 10:13 PM
My house gets locked up tight as soon as the street light go on. Any out of place noises around my house and my rifle is in hand. Any noises that are made inside my house after what I perceive to be the sounds of forced entry will be met with deadly force regardless of who it is.

Ducman
10-30-2009, 10:28 PM
shoot first, ask questions later.

Saym14
10-30-2009, 10:41 PM
dog barks
grab gun / tactical flashlight
ID intruder
shoot them until dead
dial 911

ldivinag
10-30-2009, 10:42 PM
1. call 911 cause they would be here in seconds.

2. lock myself in a room, unarmed.

3. wait for the police to arrive and save me.

;)

bballwizard05
10-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Interesting, I was just having this talk with my uncomfortable with guns roomie! We have a dog that is very intimidating, and occasionally barks in the night at random, and growls. I sleep to heavy to ever hear it, but he said he would rather just dial 911 and stay un-armed in hopes that if the intruder were armed they wouldn't hurt anyone... I'M NOT TAKING THAT CHANCE. I assured him that I'm never gonna pull the trigger in any situation unless I have positively ID'd an intruder with a gun.

1) strange noise/ dog barks and wakes me up

2) load clip into gun and continue to listen

3) be sure something isn't right, dial sheriffs office (i only have a cell so its faster than being transfered twice dialing 911)

4) If I sense the person is opening doors (aka other roomies possibly in danger) I have to act. If it stays in the portion of house with no humans I just wait for the calvalry and pray.

technique
10-30-2009, 11:51 PM

1) strange noise/ dog barks and wakes me up

2) load clip into gun and continue to listen

3) be sure something isn't right, dial sheriffs office (i only have a cell so its faster than being transfered twice dialing 911)

4) If I sense the person is opening doors (aka other roomies possibly in danger) I have to act. If it stays in the portion of house with no humans I just wait for the calvalry and pray.

you better be talking about an SKS or Garand!

Seesm
10-30-2009, 11:57 PM
So if someone is in my home and I fear for my or my families life the "perp" is having a bad night at THAT point for sure...

But having said that if they just want to borrow a cup of sugar...

Well I lend and send... (on there way) :)

I am a good neighbor and all... :)

CalNRA
10-31-2009, 12:45 AM
play a Cher song from Youtube. It worked well for South Park.

locosway
10-31-2009, 1:26 AM
We have kids and other family here in the house. If I suspect someone is inside who is an intruder I'm going to actively seek them, and here is why.

First, I need to confirm it's not one of our kids or family members roaming the house for whatever reason.

Second, there really isn't a stronghold location were I can separate my kids and family from the rest of the house.

Everyone says that tactically you should pick a place and stay your ground. I would generally agree with this, except for the layout of our house, it just doesn't work with this, and knowing the house much better than an outsider I'm going to have confidence I know where they are when looking.

Cokebottle
10-31-2009, 1:34 AM
Another "what if scenario" god you coudl go on for days just imagining the worst. Really this thread is made in good fun. That's all, the internets is not keeping a log of what you say on boards.
The problem is, if you are involved in a justifiable shooting, there will possibly be a criminal trial, and probably be a civil trial.

The prosecution/plaintiff will dig up everything you have ever posted on the internet and if they can find any indication that you have even thought about "killing" an intruder vs "stopping a threat" and under any conditions other than an immediate danger to your life or the life of a family member... you're screwed.

"Shoot 'em and drag 'em through a busted window" would be one such statement that could cost you dearly.

caoboy
10-31-2009, 1:50 AM

2. lock myself in a room, armed, ready to destroy anyone who doesn't identify themselves as the police, and identify me.

;)

Fixed.

11011500a
10-31-2009, 2:02 AM
Grab the old mosin 91/30 with bayonet & see if I can brake it
20min or so I'll give up &call 911

savs2k
10-31-2009, 2:44 AM
grab the glock
call 911
id the intruder
tell them i've dialed 911...for THEIR ambulance
strike up a conversation about how their day is going so far and remind them if they move it'll get a whole lot worse really fast

redcliff
10-31-2009, 6:32 AM
I was going to say the same thing. A gun for SD has no purpose being locked up.

Perhap's the OP has small children in the house. In which case locking the firearm up makes perfect sense. However I'd want an alarm and the dog to make sure I had time to get it unlocked :)

cudakidd
10-31-2009, 7:47 AM
Curl up in a fetal ball and scream for my Mommy!

Or...wife has 20 gauge double barrel on her side of the bed, I have 870 12 gauge on mine...grab cell phone, dial 911. Announce loudly I've called 911 and I'm armed. Rack Shotgun to accent that point. Wait in Bedroom or retreat outside, Avoid shooting and subsequent civil suit at all costs...unless directly threatened.

dixieD
10-31-2009, 8:30 AM

;)

4. stay on phone so that 911 call is a digital memorial of my last 1/2 hour of life.

Noboundaries
10-31-2009, 9:46 AM
The problem is, if you are involved in a justifiable shooting, there will possibly be a criminal trial, and probably be a civil trial.

The prosecution/plaintiff will dig up everything you have ever posted on the internet and if they can find any indication that you have even thought about "killing" an intruder vs "stopping a threat" and under any conditions other than an immediate danger to your life or the life of a family member... you're screwed.

"Shoot 'em and drag 'em through a busted window" would be one such statement that could cost you dearly.

Bingo. Welcome to CA nutso laws.

I'm not going to bother now to dig up the laws, and I'm not a lawyer, but if you shoot an intruder in your home, a "reasonable person" (aka jury) would have to conclude from the evidence that you acted to avoid great bodily harm to you or your family. The mere presence of an intruder does not constitute that threat.

If attacked, you have the right to self-defense, but only to the level to which you are attacked. Here's where the "great bodily harm" debate will enter the court proceedings. If you shoot an intruder, you'd better hope the intruder was armed with a knife, baseball bat, gun, something, or at least busted into the room into which you barricaded yourself and your family.

If you announce you are armed, the friggin' intruder or his surviving family members can claim self-defense in court and that's why he attacked you, to save his own life. Guess what, as a home owner you have the right "not to retreat." The criminal has the same right. By law you do not have the "right to attack." If you "close the distance" or announce you are armed, you just elevated the threat to the intruder and built a case for HIM claiming self-defense.

To stay out of a criminal or civil court case in a home defense shooting, my course of action will be:
1. Announce out loud you are calling the police, then do so.
2. Barricade yourself and your family in a room, even if all your barricade consists of is a locked door.
3. Arm yourself, but do not announce it.
4. Keep the police on the phone until they arrive, letting them hear and record everything. If your stuff is stolen, tough. You cannot use deadly force to protect property in CA.
5. If the intruder trys breaking into the barricaded room, tell the police on the phone what is happening.
6. If the intruder is successful in breaking into your barricaded room, scream "Stop! Leave NOW!" The resulting holes in the intruder better have entrance wounds in his face, chest or groin. Exit points are optional based upon what you have in your hand.

You may not agree with the laws (I don't), but that's what exists in this state. The police may rule the shooting was justifiable, but civil lawsuits by a surviving intruder or if dead, his family, can eat up everything of value you were trying to protect.

DVLDOC
10-31-2009, 9:57 AM

;)

This works everytime! :eek: :D

Wing Nut
10-31-2009, 10:35 AM
If indeed there were an intruder, he would first have to get past my 100lb Rottweiler. While Zeus was dealing with said intruder, I would unlock my P220 and sweep the house. If someone were inside my castle, I would give them one opportunity to lay flat on the ground with arms spread as I call the local authorities. If for any reason they resisted, and were armed, I would not hesitate to fire a shot to defend my family. If they were not armed, I would try to keep them in the room for the police when they arrive, in about a half hour or so.

bballwizard05
10-31-2009, 10:44 AM
you better be talking about an SKS or Garand!

COUGH magazine... Cough! my bad, it was late!!

bballwizard05
10-31-2009, 10:46 AM

I'm not going to bother now to dig up the laws, and I'm not a lawyer, but if you shoot an intruder in your home, a "reasonable person" (aka jury) would have to conclude from the evidence that you acted to avoid great bodily harm to you or your family. The mere presence of an intruder does not constitute that threat.

If attacked, you have the right to self-defense, but only to the level to which you are attacked. Here's where the "great bodily harm" debate will enter the court proceedings. If you shoot an intruder, you'd better hope the intruder was armed with a knife, baseball bat, gun, something, or at least busted into the room into which you barricaded yourself and your family.

If you announce you are armed, the friggin' intruder or his surviving family members can claim self-defense in court and that's why he attacked you, to save his own life. Guess what, as a home owner you have the right "not to retreat." The criminal has the same right. By law you do not have the "right to attack." If you "close the distance" or announce you are armed, you just elevated the threat to the intruder and built a case for HIM claiming self-defense.

To stay out of a criminal or civil court case in a home defense shooting, my course of action will be:
2. Barricade yourself and your family in a room, even if all your barricade consists of is a locked door.
4. Keep the police on the phone until they arrive, letting them hear and record everything. If your stuff is stolen, tough. You cannot use deadly force to protect property in CA.
5. If the intruder trys breaking into the barricaded room, tell the police on the phone what is happening.
6. If the intruder is successful in breaking into your barricaded room, scream "Stop! Leave NOW!" The resulting holes in the intruder better have entrance wounds in his face, chest or groin. Exit points are optional based upon what you have in your hand.

You may not agree with the laws (I don't), but that's what exists in this state. The police may rule the shooting was justifiable, but civil lawsuits by a surviving intruder or if dead, his family, can eat up everything of value you were trying to protect.

Good thing I would only aim for the legs and have never thought of taking a life, and would be forced to even consider it only in a legal situation in which my life or my immediate families life was in danger... (your welcome future jared, just covered your tail!)

mquejr
10-31-2009, 11:02 AM
just hope it's xmas and santa is just making his rounds

510shooter510
10-31-2009, 11:33 AM
I live in 1 bedroom apt. soooo:
1. grab glock
2. check bathroom and bedroom
3. Check Living room/kitchen. If I see him, he's toast. I thought he had a knife...no pun intended

Sniper3142
10-31-2009, 6:20 PM

+100

I'd verify that someone actually WAS inside my house and then call PD. The dog gets hungry late at night so I'd probably let him have a snack.

;)

sirnonz
10-31-2009, 7:47 PM
i clear the house with my loaded xd while the gf has a loaded 12gauge in the room

Jonathan Doe
10-31-2009, 8:06 PM
I have a Remington 1100 tactical shotgun and a very sharp samurai sword behind one of my closet doors. I will use either one as necessary.

Clayface
10-31-2009, 10:00 PM
Its just crazy, how literally you have to fight for you life in court after a self defense shooting.
I learned that in real life you don't get a pat on the back when the officers arrive.In real life you have to watch what you say because the city's attorny is going to disect you every move 10x times over infront of a jury.oh. Don't forget the jail time you'll face until your proven innocent.
I just can't believe criminals seem to have more rights.

tombinghamthegreat
10-31-2009, 10:22 PM
In real life you have to watch what you say because the city's attorny is going to disect you every move 10x times over infront of a jury.

If you are not a complete tard self defense would not be such a horrible legal nightmare. For example whenever you deal with PD say "it was self defense, not saying anything more without my attorney present". this avoid a DA using anything against you.

Cokebottle
10-31-2009, 10:22 PM
Don't forget the jail time you'll face until your proven innocent.
And bail.

While you may be released on OR, it's not likely if the DA feels that he can get a felony conviction.
So say he sets bail at $50k (daughter got $5k for an FTA on driving without insurance).
How many of us have $50k to hand over? I'm betting fewer than 5%.

So the alternative is the bondsman. Hand him $5k and he posts the $50k for you. You've just kissed $5k goodbye. That was a contract for a short term loan with the bondsman and guilty or innocent, that $5k is gone.

Honestly? Any bail over $5k and I'm going to be sitting in a cell until trial.

Peter W Bush
10-31-2009, 10:35 PM
UNLOCK what now???

pat038536
10-31-2009, 10:57 PM
All I'd have to do is walk down the hallway bare-arsed nekkid. The sight of my nude body is frightening enough to make the devil pray for salvation.

jerryg1776
10-31-2009, 11:16 PM
All I'd have to do is walk down the hallway bare-arsed nekkid. The sight of my nude body is frightening enough to make the devil pray for salvation.

So that reminds me of one time... there was a LOUD clattering / breaking sound while I was sleeping. I jumped out of bed from being in a sound sleep, flung the bedroom door open and went running down the hall and stairs screaming bloody *** murder yelling " Who the f*** I am going to kill you.. " all while being butt *** naked of course. While I was standing in the living room looking for someone to kill my wife yells out.. "honey.. the shampoo holder in the shower fell again - get back in bed".

Sometime you just wake up and go into kill mode.... its not pretty.

Saym14
10-31-2009, 11:27 PM
So that reminds me of one time... there was a LOUD clattering / breaking sound while I was sleeping. I jumped out of bed from being in a sound sleep, flung the bedroom door open and went running down the hall and stairs screaming bloody *** murder yelling " Who the f*** I am going to kill you.. " all while being butt *** naked of course. While I was standing in the living room looking for someone to kill my wife yells out.. "honey.. the shampoo holder in the shower fell again - get back in bed".

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

acorn
10-31-2009, 11:28 PM

Would you
A) say "Who's there ? I am armed and I will use force" ( and basically give away your position or atleast where abouts) .

B) stay silent and try to perform a sweep of the house without giving away your location or the fact that someone is home.

I would shoot my dog for barking too much and that would send a message to the intruder that I meen business.

M47_Dragon
11-01-2009, 1:43 AM

That story would have been so much cooler if it ended with you shooting the shampoo holder to death.

:D

Dr. Peter Venkman
11-01-2009, 2:38 AM
Venkman uses Double Tap. It's super effective!

coltn46920
11-01-2009, 7:00 AM
Call the cops and hide a room where I can best defend myself. I don't want any of my firearms confiscated.

xibunkrlilkidsx
11-01-2009, 11:20 AM

seriously. a locked gun is like an empty fire extinguisher. it sits in my safe. when i am home safe is open when i leave safe is locked.

grab gun extra mag and flashlight and clear house. lcukily my house is pretty open from the hall where my room is i can see into the far living room. can check the family room w/o exposing myself to anything else and check kitchen. and where my dogs are in the back yard gives me a good clue where an intruder is. they enjoy barking at strangers.

HowardW56
11-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Listen to dogs (those of you who have dogs can tell the difference in the bark); Arm myself; dial 911; take up a defensive position...

If the threat ignores or injures my dogs, and then presents itself, GAME OVER!

Unless you have children, or someone else in your home that needs to be defended, attempting to clear the house alone is foolish… Pro’s will not do it without a 3-man team, alone, you cannot slice the pie, you get it all….

till44
11-01-2009, 1:28 PM

This!

Ech0Sierra
11-01-2009, 9:32 PM
Grab gun, get dog, lock door, call police, hit intercom, say YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO GET OUT. THE POLICE ARE ON THEIR WAY. Press check on the gun. Cover the entrance. If the spook manages to break through the solid core door and deadbolt to the master bedroom, I will do whatever it takes to stop the spook from being a threat to my life, with deadly force being my current and sole option after the door breaks.

Diabolus
11-02-2009, 5:23 AM
Fire indiscriminately at all noises and movement.

510shooter510
11-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Fire indiscriminately at all noises and movement.

Haha I was waiting for someone to say something like that. The Anti's will take it out of context for sure

BillCA
11-02-2009, 1:50 PM
First, two issues.
#1 - The gun(s) should not be locked up when used for HD.
#2 - The dog belongs inside with me. He sounds the alarm and is the delay when someone breaks in.

I live in a townhome and my neighbor's front patio area is next to part of my backyard. He now has an 8 mo old Rottweiler who barks to defend his turf. Normally I can tell what his barks mean. One is a "who's there/what's that?" bark. But when it includes growling and a rapid bark, that's the "danger! stay away!" bark used when someone is nearby.

On Friday nite around 2am, I heard that bark as I was just heading to bed. I peered out my window saw nothing at first, then saw a shadowy figure skulking along the fenceline. I stepped out the front door with the 1911 IWB and lit him up with my Surefire. He bolted for a fence, which just happed to have the Rottwieler behind it, quickly changed his mind and jumped the fence into another condo complex. The PD was out here in less than five minutes. I gave the Rottie a couple of Milkbone cookies for a job well done (with the owner's okay). Sunday, PD confirmed they found two people it might have been who were in the complex. Both were "intereviewed" and one taken to jail on a warrant.

justin_5585
11-02-2009, 2:05 PM
and your dog needs to get punched in the neck.

This is NEVER the case. Punch my dog? Get punched. Repeatedly.

diginit
11-02-2009, 5:39 PM
My 45 in never locked, Unless I am transporting it. I would silently sweep the house. If I caught someone there, I would tell them to freeze. Any fast moves, I would shoot. If they froze, I would order their hands on their heads. Put them under citizens arrest by stating my name and that I here by put you under citizens arrest for breaking and entering, Then order them to drop to one knee and to lay down with arms out to their sides. once again, ANY fast moves and I would shoot. Once the situation was stable, I would call the police. If you call the police first, By the time 911 answered, and you discussed the situation and gave them your address, and waited 10 min. for a LEO to arrive. The assailant could easily have you at bay.

Cokebottle
11-02-2009, 5:50 PM
If you call the police first, By the time 911 answered, and you discussed the situation and gave them your address, and waited 10 min. for a LEO to arrive. The assailant could easily have you at bay.
Thus, dial 911 and drop the phone... they have your location on-screen, and I've been told that operators treat a "silent" call as a possible hostage situation.

stfrog
11-02-2009, 5:59 PM
First shot in the chest,Second-warning shot in the ceiling!

OHOD
11-02-2009, 6:25 PM
A......At least for the most part.

But that is only after my three chinese sharp-pei's have finished with him. I doubt the perp would make it far. In fact, the perp will be calling for help and an ambulance.
I'm not sure that I would be able to get fingers, hands, toes and such from my dogs. But I could certainly try the next morning.

bambam8d1
11-02-2009, 8:53 PM

holy crap you owe me a new keyboard i spit my corona all over it... i do believe that is probably the funniest thing i have ever read in my life. i would now like to shake your hand sir

Johnny?
11-02-2009, 11:14 PM
here a local story
http://www.kusi.com/news/local/68823052.html?video=YHI&t=a

bsg
11-03-2009, 1:21 AM
if the perps have met my pit and rott and STILL insist on the intrusion, then we are talking zombies and i am in trouble. i would need help from travis bickle....

bsg
11-03-2009, 1:23 AM
i might add that i would probably toss a raw steak into the hallway and jump out the window.

TheClap1
11-03-2009, 9:41 AM
I do keep my guns locked up, but as soon as I get home I open that baby up. If my dogs were barking, I would grab my shotgun and investigate. When the alarm on my car goes off I do go check it armed.

BillCA
11-07-2009, 1:14 PM

Yup. It can get strange. I should introduce you to a former coworker. He was recovering from a bad case of the pneumonia some years ago, on his 5th day of antibiotics. He awakens to the sound of glass breaking and his wife screaming "Get away! get back!" It's dark out so he whips the covers off, snags the AR from the closet, chambers a round and flies down the stairs that empty into the living room, stark naked and with Mr. Willie at full attention to stave off a visit to the john. Halfway down the stairs he's yelling "I'll kill you if you f*** with my wife, you son of a *****!"

The reality was that it was a tall drink glass dropped in the kitchen and his wife was warning someone in bare feet to get back so she could clean it up. But the other 16 members of his wife's 7 p.m. "Daughters of the Revolution" club were not amused... at least until his voice broke like Don Knotts going thru puberty when he said "Oh sh**!" and ran back upstairs. One lady laughed so hard she almost passed out.

LesGrossman41510
11-07-2009, 1:54 PM
+1
If I called the PD every time I heard a strange noise, I'd be in jail. Oh, and I don't have a dog... nor do I brush my teeth. :D

Same position!

Only brush teeth in the morning.

First my glock is never locked up, i always have it by my bedside when i sleep with a full magazine.

I already know every possible entry point in my house. The most likely would be the back door. I would chamber a round and check all points. If i run into an intruder i will give him one verbal warning to get on the ground with his hands behind his head. If he does not comply i might issue a warning shot. if he tries to charge me, i am aiming center mass and shooting two to three times.

If i manage to subdue him, i will call PD and tell them i have an intruder at gunpoint, and that i have a gun.

I will keep him at gunpoint until the cops arrive. If he tries to run, in the interest of legality, i might just let him go.

Would it be legal to shoot someone you have placed under citizens arrrest who tries to run??

Cokebottle
11-07-2009, 1:58 PM
Would it be legal to shoot someone you have placed under citizens arrrest who tries to run??
If he is on his face with his hands on his head, he can't get himself into a position to run without first putting himself into a position where he could be reaching for a weapon.

If he did not comply with your "on the floor" demand and is simply standing there with his hands on his head, then he could turn and run at any time.

At the point that he is no longer an immediate threat to the safety of your or another, he ceases to be a legitimate "target".

LesGrossman41510
11-07-2009, 2:01 PM
so yea basically if he runs i have to let him go...sucks. Cant even shoot him in the arse because then he might sue.

hawk81
11-07-2009, 8:02 PM
My gun is not locked up and I would handle it.

Would you

jerryg1776
11-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Yup. It can get strange. I should introduce you to a former coworker. He was recovering from a bad case of the pneumonia some years ago, on his 5th day of antibiotics. He awakens to the sound of glass breaking and his wife screaming "Get away! get back!" It's dark out so he whips the covers off, snags the AR from the closet, chambers a round and flies down the stairs that empty into the living room, stark naked and with Mr. Willie at full attention to stave off a visit to the john. Halfway down the stairs he's yelling "I'll kill you if you f*** with my wife, you son of a *****!"

The reality was that it was a tall drink glass dropped in the kitchen and his wife was warning someone in bare feet to get back so she could clean it up. But the other 16 members of his wife's 7 p.m. "Daughters of the Revolution" club were not amused... at least until his voice broke like Don Knotts going thru puberty when he said "Oh sh**!" and ran back upstairs. One lady laughed so hard she almost passed out.

I don't feel so bad now.... I just showed my wife this and told her, "see I am normal". She just shook her head and walked away mumbling.

Rob454
11-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Scream like a girl wet my pj's and run around all the while saying OMG OMG we're gonna die. Oh wait thats when the Predators finally attack the planet.

For a intruder I guess Ill do a Barney Fife go out shaking with one bullet in my gun. Im such a good shot that i can probably bounce the fired bullet off the chandelier and hit the guy through the top of his head.

All kidding aside I would give fair warning. i know my house he doesn't. I would give him the chance to lay down and stay till the cops get there. If he does anything threatening Im sorry to say I would shoot him. My life and ending a threat to my family is worth more than his life. Some may not see it that way but I do.

longarmshortlegs
11-14-2009, 9:18 PM
turn toward the direction of noise and begin shooting through wall until i am out of ammunition.

No, first do the secret code word/sound/sign language etc. If no response . . .

KylaGWolf
11-14-2009, 9:40 PM

Actually you only have to have is the reasonable belief your life or the life of someone else is in grave danger to use deadly force. Thing is you better be able to articulate what reasonable belief is or you could be in legal trouble. If you can articulate reasonable belief of fear of your life or someone in your families life is in danger and the investigation backs up your belief you more than likely will have no criminal charges what so ever. That being said there is always the risk of a civil suit. But in a civil case you have more of a chance of winning since the burden of proof is a preponderance of evidence. Although I will be the first to admit when it comes to civil trials it all depends on how liberal the judge and or jury is.

Now if the OP situation happened here. I would go to my room. Grab my gun and have it ready to go if needed to defend myself from harm. I would call 911 and let them know there is someone in my house and I am armed. If my other half is home he would be the one armed and I would still be on the phone with 911 and also armed. But he is better at shooting than I am :).

THT
11-14-2009, 9:51 PM
Rather than a hypothetical, I'll recount what actually happened one morning:

One Thursday morning, my front door was popped at 4:02am. The perimeter alarm chirped and my dogs ran out of the bedroom, snapping and snarling. I had a momentary "WTF" moment because it was 1) too early for breakfast and 2) that wasn't normal morning "we want food" behavior. I very quickly realized what was going on and my right arm shot out and grabbed my M590A1. As I swung my legs over the edge of the bed, my left hand grabbed the forend and my right hand transitioned to the pistol grip. By the time my feet were on the floor, I was on the downstroke of chambering a shell and as I walked out of the bedroom, completing the upstroke.

This entire time, the safety was on.

I walked out of the bedroom with the shotgun shouldered, rounded the corner and started to walk down the stairs where I was greeted by my dogs standing on the mid-stair landing, muscles tensed, teeth bared, and pissed as all hell, staring at the front door that had been swung open. I forcefully bumped the door with my shoulder to close it and proceeded to clear the first floor of the house.

There wasn't an intruder in the house however someone had to have opened the door because the screen door was swung wide open and I remember closing it the night before.

A few things I learned that morning:

1. The positioning of the safety on a M590A1 sucks when paired with a Speedfeed stock; you have to break your grip to work the safety.
2. My dogs are very protective of the home and charge to confront what they consider a threat to their home. This is good and bad. Good because they will alert me to act but bad because shot placement becomes even more important so there isn't any furry friendly fire. Additionally, they're charging towards a thread potentially armed with a firearm. Teeth vs. firearm isn't exactly a good match-up.
3. Everything seems to slow down. There couldn't have been more than eight to ten seconds between the door opening and my bearing down on the front door with my shotgun but it felt like an eternity.
4. I never thought to call 911. I replay the incident and still don't know when would have been the right moment to make the call. Maybe it was when the threat was perceived but had I taken the five seconds to locate the phone and hit "911", who knows what could have happened to my dogs or how much ground an intruder could have covered in my house? Remember, this entire incident lasted about ten seconds.

Cokebottle
11-14-2009, 10:02 PM
But in a civil case you have more of a chance of winning since the burden of proof is a preponderance of evidence. Although I will be the first to admit when it comes to civil trials it all depends on how liberal the judge and or jury is.
The burden of evidence works against you in a civil trial.

In a criminal trial, it's 12:0, 0:12, or else it's a hung jury with a potential retrial if the DA feels there's a strong enough case.

Civil case, you don't have that advantage. 5:7 and you're either off the hook or looking at a judgement.

louscamaro91
11-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Assuming it is pitch black in my house I Put on My PVS7 and wait :cool:

Veggie
11-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Well, as others have pointed out, I'd not have my weapon secured in such a way that would prevent me from using it.

My SOP would read something like this:

1. Once intruder detected I'd gear up, weapon loaded and flashlight in hand, and have my hubby dial 911 and keep them on the line advising them that there is an intruder in our home and that I am armed.

2. Since our residence is pretty small, and the voices would pretty much tip them off, I'd be crouched behind my side of the bed with a clear shot of the doorway. This would have an added advantage that it would not go into any of the adjacent units and provide the maximum amount of backstop to try and prevent any rounds leaving the building.

3. If the intruder came into view he would get lit up with the flashlight, to verify if friend or foe, and would get one warning to leave. Friend or not they entered my home without my consent and my friends know that if they ever do so what the results could be if they advanced any further instead of leaving the way they came. If any part of their body crossed the threshold I would fire until the threat is stopped.

The entire encounter would end with the intruder leaving under their own power or being carried out on a stretcher filled with however many 9mm 115gr Winchester Ranger SXT it took to do the job.

You for got 4.

You go to jail to 10-15 because the police don't think your life was in danger because CA wants you to wait til your dieing before you shoot an intruder.

Scratch705
11-15-2009, 2:30 AM
sadly i have no suitable guns for HD.... only bolt actions.

the only one i can load up quickly and is short enough is my m38 mosin nagant, and the bayonet from my 91/30 as a short melee stabbing weapon.

so with that said, i would camp out the hallway leading to the rooms, and the backstop is the kitchen then garage (filled with crap) so no worries for over penetration even with the 7.62x54r

i stay in the dark kneeing and i shoot the instant i identify as foe coming into hallway. with that narrow corridor, the only reason they would want to walk down it is to reach the rooms, which in my mind is reasonable thought that they are planning to do harm to myself or my family members. and with the mosin i know 1 shot to center mass is all that is needed to bring them down and in a short 10 ft long hallway with only 4-5 ft width, that will be easy to do.

of course 911 will be dialed during this time, as to cover myself legally.

CALI-gula
11-15-2009, 9:19 AM

Would you
A) say "Who's there ? I am armed and I will use force" ( and basically give away your position or at least where abouts) .

D - Santa! Did you bring me my new ZR1?! :santa:

Lurch762
11-15-2009, 6:45 PM
I'd have my HD .45 in hand but would have to go down the hallway to get the cordless phone because if I tried to use my worthless company issued Blackberry Storm to call 911, I'd probably mis-dial it on the friggin' touchscreen.

M. Sage
11-15-2009, 8:57 PM
Rather than a hypothetical, I'll recount what actually happened one morning:

One Thursday morning, my front door was popped at 4:02am. The perimeter alarm chirped and my dogs ran out of the bedroom, snapping and snarling. I had a momentary "WTF" moment because it was 1) too early for breakfast and 2) that wasn't normal morning "we want food" behavior. I very quickly realized what was going on and my right arm shot out and grabbed my M590A1. As I swung my legs over the edge of the bed, my left hand grabbed the forend and my right hand transitioned to the pistol grip. By the time my feet were on the floor, I was on the downstroke of chambering a shell and as I walked out of the bedroom, completing the upstroke.

This entire time, the safety was on.

I walked out of the bedroom with the shotgun shouldered, rounded the corner and started to walk down the stairs where I was greeted by my dogs standing on the mid-stair landing, muscles tensed, teeth bared, and pissed as all hell, staring at the front door that had been swung open. I forcefully bumped the door with my shoulder to close it and proceeded to clear the first floor of the house.

There wasn't an intruder in the house however someone had to have opened the door because the screen door was swung wide open and I remember closing it the night before.

A few things I learned that morning:

1. The positioning of the safety on a M590A1 sucks when paired with a Speedfeed stock; you have to break your grip to work the safety.
2. My dogs are very protective of the home and charge to confront what they consider a threat to their home. This is good and bad. Good because they will alert me to act but bad because shot placement becomes even more important so there isn't any furry friendly fire. Additionally, they're charging towards a thread potentially armed with a firearm. Teeth vs. firearm isn't exactly a good match-up.
3. Everything seems to slow down. There couldn't have been more than eight to ten seconds between the door opening and my bearing down on the front door with my shotgun but it felt like an eternity.
4. I never thought to call 911. I replay the incident and still don't know when would have been the right moment to make the call. Maybe it was when the threat was perceived but had I taken the five seconds to locate the phone and hit "911", who knows what could have happened to my dogs or how much ground an intruder could have covered in my house? Remember, this entire incident lasted about ten seconds.

Great lessons learned! Sounds like your pooches drove someone off.

Things that went through my mind before you got to the "things learned" section:

1: I hate to be cold, and I love my dog, but... better dogs getting shot than you. Alas, my dog is too cowardly to play bullet magnet for me: she likes to hide under the bed and bark. Woe to any intruder who decides to stick their hand under there, though. Too bad if that's happening I won't be in a position to care. :rolleyes:

2: Either use the safety or keep the chamber empty. I wouldn't do both. And I definitely won't go checking the house out with the safety one and/or chamber empty! And you're damn right that when I come into a room and pie it that my finger is on the trigger and I'm either on the sights or in a shouldered point-shooting position (depends on whether I've got a pistol or long gun). If it's a real tight corner, I'll go to some kind of closer retention grip (stock up over the shoulder with the AK), again with finger on trigger and weapon pointed toward where I expect a threat.

You for got 4.

You go to jail to 10-15 because the police don't think your life was in danger because CA wants you to wait til your dieing before you shoot an intruder.

Horrible FUD. Please educate yourself. CA's home defense laws aren't all that bad, truth be told. The only thing you lack is immunity to civil suits in cases of self defense and you have full Castle Doctrine.

sadly i have no suitable guns for HD.... only bolt actions.

the only one i can load up quickly and is short enough is my m38 mosin nagant, and the bayonet from my 91/30 as a short melee stabbing weapon.

so with that said, i would camp out the hallway leading to the rooms, and the backstop is the kitchen then garage (filled with crap) so no worries for over penetration even with the 7.62x54r

i stay in the dark kneeing and i shoot the instant i identify as foe coming into hallway. with that narrow corridor, the only reason they would want to walk down it is to reach the rooms, which in my mind is reasonable thought that they are planning to do harm to myself or my family members. and with the mosin i know 1 shot to center mass is all that is needed to bring them down and in a short 10 ft long hallway with only 4-5 ft width, that will be easy to do.

of course 911 will be dialed during this time, as to cover myself legally.

Dude, you are not under-gunned with a Mosin. Just learn how to work the bolt without taking the gun from your shoulder and you'd be surprised at how quickly one can be fired. Not that you're likely to need more than one shot with that beast!!! That is a nasty cartridge. Find some soft points and it gets nastier. :43:

Scratch705
11-15-2009, 9:51 PM
Dude, you are not under-gunned with a Mosin. Just learn how to work the bolt without taking the gun from your shoulder and you'd be surprised at how quickly one can be fired. Not that you're likely to need more than one shot with that beast!!! That is a nasty cartridge. Find some soft points and it gets nastier. :43:

haha i know i'm not undergunned with the mosin, butit isn't exactly the best thing to use if i had to clear the house since it is so long, it would give my position away before i even turn the corner. :p

Biff...
11-15-2009, 9:56 PM
I'm curious, how many here would give a warning to a bg inside your home?

Cokebottle
11-15-2009, 10:21 PM
It would depend on the situation.

Most likely, nothing more than "freeze, hands where I can see them, on the floor."

But I honestly can't answer that until something happens.

psycho_klown66
11-15-2009, 11:46 PM
... The perimeter alarm chirped and my dogs ran out of the bedroom, snapping and snarling...

What kind of dogs do you have?

I used to have a Husky (until she passed away) and the only time she growled was if you woke her up because you had to pee in the middle of the night (she usually slept in the bathroom)... otherwise she's just sleeping away.

Also had a Borzoi (until he passed away), who would bark at people passing by... but it was mostly out of fear.

Granted, my 2 past dogs were not really for HD... but our family is started to look for another dog (wife wants a German Shepard or something similar).

BillCA
11-16-2009, 1:09 AM
You for got 4.

How do you figure?
In the first place, Ladyfox and her hubby hold up in a room with a closed door. He's on the phone to 911, she's covering the door. In theory, if there is noise at the door, there is a shout of "Get back! I will shoot if you come in here!" The next decision is the intruder's. Open door, get shot. Back away, don't get shot. The law says you can defend yourself with lethal force. He opens the door, no apparent reason to be there (i.e. no uniform, no explanations) she can shoot. If it takes 2 rounds or 10 to put him down so be it.

Additionally, PC §198.5 says that police must start with the presumption that the resident/shooter "... shall be presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury to self, family, or a member of the household when that force is used against another person, not a member of the family or household ..."

Thus, starting with that presumption, the police then have to show compelling evidence that the deceased was killed for some other reason or was killed unlawfully.

That's a pretty high bar to jump if police arrive to find Mr. & Mrs. Ladyfox still in their PJ's, a door or window forced open and the deceased has a prior criminal history for anything like 203, 211, 261, 459, etc.

pingpong
11-16-2009, 1:11 AM
How do you figure?
In the first place, Ladyfox and her hubby hold up in a room with a closed door. He's on the phone to 911, she's covering the door. In theory, if there is noise at the door, there is a shout of "Get back! I will shoot if you come in here!" The next decision is the intruder's. Open door, get shot. Back away, don't get shot. The law says you can defend yourself with lethal force. He opens the door, no apparent reason to be there (i.e. no uniform, no explanations) she can shoot. If it takes 2 rounds or 10 to put him down so be it.

Additionally, PC §198.5 says that police must start with the presumption that the resident/shooter "... shall be presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury to self, family, or a member of the household when that force is used against another person, not a member of the family or household ..."

Thus, starting with that presumption, the police then have to show compelling evidence that the deceased was killed for some other reason or was killed unlawfully.

That's a pretty high bar to jump if police arrive to find Mr. & Mrs. Ladyfox still in their PJ's, a door or window forced open and the deceased has a prior criminal history for anything like 203, 211, 261, 459, etc.

Dude. It's California. Reason and logic is illegal here ;)

zcrehan
11-16-2009, 2:14 AM
I'm glad to see people dispelling myths in this thread.

That being said, if ever put in that situation the first thing I am saying to the police is "I need to consult my Lawyer." Probably followed by "any idea how long it's going to take for me to get my gun back"

I am actually curios if anyone knows the answer to the second question?

rod
11-16-2009, 4:53 AM
I'd let my dog take care of business. He's a mean SOB.

http://i33.tinypic.com/ztxlle.jpg

That's not really my dog. Mine is meaner:chris:

CSACANNONEER
11-16-2009, 5:07 AM
This is an easy question to answer. I'd simply escape through the secret tunnel I have and trigger all the perimeter booby traps while I'm in the tunnel. Then, I'd go to te end of the tunnel, which is a safe distance away, and watch the show. It'll start as soon as the BG trys to leave.

It's either that or try to explain that every situation is different and no one can truely know what they will do until they are put in such a position.

Cokebottle
11-16-2009, 9:52 AM
secret tunnel I have and trigger all the perimeter booby traps while I'm in the tunnel.
Last I heard, booby traps were illegal.

But you CAN bait them with alcohol, perfume, and diamonds ;)

a1c
11-16-2009, 9:56 AM
This is an easy question to answer. I'd simply escape through the secret tunnel I have and trigger all the perimeter booby traps while I'm in the tunnel. Then, I'd go to te end of the tunnel, which is a safe distance away, and watch the show. It'll start as soon as the BG trys to leave.

It's either that or try to explain that every situation is different and no one can truely know what they will do until they are put in such a position.

Seriously?

http://www.soothbrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/john-goodman-as-walter-sobchak-in-the-big-lebowski.jpg

:rolleyes:

Timberwolf
11-16-2009, 10:02 AM
I love threads like this . . . hmmmm . . . let me see . . . I'd look up and shout "Shazam"!

popeye4
11-16-2009, 12:33 PM
I have small kids in the house, so my handgun is locked up in one of these: http://www.amsecusa.com/hand-gun-safes.htm

I have the PB2 with an older mechanical pushbutton combo lock. I can be in it as fast as I can be in a drawer and the kids don't go near it. Plus, their little friends can't get into it (more of a concern, my kids behave themselves around guns).

eccvets
11-16-2009, 1:53 PM
B

shoot to kill!

Bruce
11-16-2009, 2:46 PM
Annouce in a loud, clear voice," I have called the police to come and protect me. Please wait where you are until they arrive so they can protect me." Depending on the response times in your area, you mat want to be a thoughtful host, and provide refreshments. :rolleyes:

WeekendWarrior
11-16-2009, 2:49 PM
WWRTW

POLICESTATE
11-16-2009, 2:57 PM
"Police are on their way, you should get out before they arrive." I have no intention of announcing I am armed, I'll just watch the hallway that also leads to the kids' rooms. He can exit from 2 doors without having to cross through the line of fire.

If he's in one of the kids' rooms then I'm going in, no way I'm letting some perp take one of my kids. Period.

Scratch705
11-16-2009, 3:00 PM
btw be sure to yell out how they are walking towards you.

"stop walking backwards towards me, or i will still fire. i have the police on the phone as my witness that you are walking with your back towards me in order to force me to shoot you in the back."

cause you know, some suspects are smart and think this would give them more legal evidence to sue if they live. ;)

CSACANNONEER
11-16-2009, 3:18 PM

Seriously?

Yes, seriously, every situation is unique and, unless you've been in similar situations before, you don't really know how you are going to react. It's obvious that all the guys here, who have posted about how they have planned every detail of their imaginary senerios, have never really been in such a situation. I remember being 5 years old and "training" in front of my house, with my cousin of the same age. There had just been an attempted stranger abduction a few blocks away so, we spent the next few days coriagraphing just how we were going to beat up the bad guys. It looks like many here still do that.

Last I heard, booby traps were illegal.

But you CAN bait them with alcohol, perfume, and diamonds ;)

As far as booby traps go, I only use the soft jawed type and I practice "catch and release" when I'm done with them.

Cokebottle
11-16-2009, 3:26 PM
I remember being 5 years old and "training" in front of my house, with my cousin of the same age. There had just been an attempted stranger abduction a few blocks away so, we spent the next few days coriagraphing just how we were going to beat up the bad guys. It looks like many here still do that.
No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.

There are rooms where Admirals and Generals are doing the same thing.
It's all about contingency. You can't have one plan. You can train more intensely for one particular desired plan and take steps to guide the situation in that direction, but you can't predict how the BG is going to react to your actions/statements/demands.

A burglar caught by surprise is going to be a completely different scenario (and probably outcome) than a crackhead attempting a home invasion. One doesn't even want to encounter anyone, is less likely to be armed, and will likely attempt to escape.
The other is expecting to encounter people, is most likely armed, and is not afraid to kill you.

M. Sage
11-16-2009, 5:24 PM
haha i know i'm not undergunned with the mosin, butit isn't exactly the best thing to use if i had to clear the house since it is so long, it would give my position away before i even turn the corner. :p

That's one reason I'm not a fan of clearing the house, especially if you know someone is inside. Your plan is the best way to go IMO: fort up with a good position overlooking a choke point (AKA "fatal funnel").

I'm glad to see people dispelling myths in this thread.

That being said, if ever put in that situation the first thing I am saying to the police is "I need to consult my Lawyer." Probably followed by "any idea how long it's going to take for me to get my gun back"

I am actually curios if anyone knows the answer to the second question?

Identify and say you want a lawyer. Count the gun going away for a long time as payment for your life.

I've only talked to one person in CA who used a gun defensively that said anything to answer your second question, but judging by his situation it's several years. The gun was held in evidence until the guy he shot used up all his appeals. This situation may be better if the BG dies - no appeals in that case. Shoot straight.

It's situational, but I generally don't plan on it. I have these bad mental images of someone freaking out and sending bullets up through the floor at me. Doesn't sound fun to me.

It's situational because it depends - if I know that there is someone downstairs, my plan is not to go down and try playing Delta SEALs SWAT Six. It's to grab my AK, my glasses and my phone (in that order) and move to the top of the stairs and wait. I'll cover the stairs and if possible dial 911 and give a quick description (intruders, address name and hopefully a description of myself) and drop the phone on the floor. It stays there so I can have hands free.

If I'm not sure, if I've heard some noise and wasn't sure what it was and feel the need to investigate, then I grab a .45 with a light on it and head downstairs to check the house out. If I surprise someone who is non-threatening, no weapons in hand and is disoriented by my light (hopefully - it's bright enough) I might try ordering them down on the ground etc. and hold them for the police. If they don't follow a command, then my right index finger applies 6 lbs of force and they'll lay down on the floor anyway. Would "On the ground!! On the ground!!" count as a warning?

Cokebottle
11-16-2009, 5:30 PM
Would "On the ground!! On the ground!!" count as a warning?
Certainly... it is a warning that they need to get on the ground or something very bad will happen to them.

pingpong
11-16-2009, 5:58 PM
No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.

QFT. Rules 12 and 13 of a gunfight:

Rule 12: Have a plan.
Rule 13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.

;)

five.five-six
11-16-2009, 6:00 PM
an intruder is in your house: You unlock your gun and ... (what do you do next?)

I ask myself.... WTF was I thinking keeping my gun locked up?

The Director
11-16-2009, 6:46 PM
"I am armed with a gun, police have been called, leave my domicile now!"

"I am armed if you approach me I will use force to stop you."

Dude...I love your quotes. You sound like Ed 209 from robocop. :rofl:

Would you really use the word Domicile?????:p:D

THT
11-16-2009, 7:06 PM
Great lessons learned! Sounds like your pooches drove someone off.

Things that went through my mind before you got to the "things learned" section:

1: I hate to be cold, and I love my dog, but... better dogs getting shot than you. Alas, my dog is too cowardly to play bullet magnet for me: she likes to hide under the bed and bark. Woe to any intruder who decides to stick their hand under there, though. Too bad if that's happening I won't be in a position to care. :rolleyes:

2: Either use the safety or keep the chamber empty. I wouldn't do both. And I definitely won't go checking the house out with the safety one and/or chamber empty! And you're damn right that when I come into a room and pie it that my finger is on the trigger and I'm either on the sights or in a shouldered point-shooting position (depends on whether I've got a pistol or long gun). If it's a real tight corner, I'll go to some kind of closer retention grip (stock up over the shoulder with the AK), again with finger on trigger and weapon pointed toward where I expect a threat.

Yeah, I've since changed my shotgun to safety off, empty chamber when stored.

What kind of dogs do you have?

I used to have a Husky (until she passed away) and the only time she growled was if you woke her up because you had to pee in the middle of the night (she usually slept in the bathroom)... otherwise she's just sleeping away.

Also had a Borzoi (until he passed away), who would bark at people passing by... but it was mostly out of fear.

Granted, my 2 past dogs were not really for HD... but our family is started to look for another dog (wife wants a German Shepard or something similar).

They're all shelter mutts. Two of them are part Staffordshire Terrier and the male shows it. He's 50lbs of pure muscle but he's a total sweetheart with family and children. Physically, he's a pit but mentally, he's a lab until threatened. Then he's 100% pit. I've taken him shooting and he has a habit of looking and running towards whatever I shoot at. Not sure if that's smart or stupid on his part :D

Bizcuits
11-16-2009, 7:24 PM
B)

Why?

I'm not going to die hiding.

SeanCasey
11-16-2009, 8:19 PM
My plan is eat bean burritos every night and to fart in the intruders general direction. The noxious fumes will overtake them and cause them to passout. :eek::nuke::ack2:

Cokebottle
11-16-2009, 8:21 PM
My plan is eat bean burritos every night and to fart in the intruders general direction. The noxious fumes will overtake them and cause them to passout. :eek::nuke::ack2:
Careful... that could still be considered use of deadly force!

THT
11-16-2009, 8:37 PM
Careful... that could still be considered use of deadly force!

Or cruel and unusual punishment with maybe some violations of the Geneva Conventions for good measure.

psycho_klown66
11-16-2009, 8:37 PM
Because my house is small with only 1 floor, I would get my guns, clear the bathroom, put everyone in the bathroom and lock it. Clear 2nd bedroom, clear kitchen, clear living room, clear last bedroom.

Somewhere along the way, get a phone and dial 911, give my address and put them on speaker and leave the phone.

Of course, if I hear my wife or the kids screaming... I'd probably just run around with my guns...

I need to think this through better, do a couple of drills with the family, get my wife in a gun class (in 2 weeks! :) )...

IF you were a great shot (or lucky) and landed a head-shot during all this (killing the BG), how would that be viewed in court?

radioed22
11-16-2009, 9:24 PM

+1:rofl2:

Noobert
11-16-2009, 9:56 PM
Arm the claymore I planted at the doorway?

Plinkin
11-16-2009, 10:26 PM
This is NEVER the case. Punch my dog? Get punched. Repeatedly.

+100000

bigstick61
11-16-2009, 11:05 PM
There are people who suggest just forting up and calling the cops, but that does not really work in my situation. The way my house is set up defense is not practical. Every room but one leaves you very vulnerable in some way and virtually none have locks; the doors also can be kicked down pretty easily. The one room that leaves you less vulnerable still makes it difficult to defend the point of entry and also provides you with no way to escape without serious bodily harm.

My situation is such that it is more practical to sweep the house (which I do have some training in); the features that make the house impractical for static defense make it fairly easy to sweep, not to mention that I know the house by heart (I can't see without glasses, and there was a time where I didn't have them for a couple of weeks, and I had to learn to get around without being able to see where I was going with any sort of clarity). There is just one section where it would help greatly to have backup. The house also has areas that give an excellent vantage point over any home intruders. There are also areas where I can quickly tell if there is someone there or not without having to sweep the whole room, allowing me to bypass it. I've actually practiced sweeping my house by myself and with one person, and I feel much more confident doing that than staying put somewhere. When the other people that live in my house are home, it is very easy to tell if they are where they normally are at night.

My weapon of choice is my No. 5 Lee-Enfield; if I had occasion to also have a sidearm, I would use my FM Hi-Power (which is what my bedside gun is). A phone would be with me, but even in a situation where I was involved in a defensive shooting and the nature of the incident was such where the other party may have caused multiple injuries it took the cops several minutes to arrive; I really don't want to have to depend upon them getting there promptly, and the way they handled the defensive shooting incident combined with that recent story about the homeowner getting shot don't exactly inspire confidence. Unless it is a bad situation and I am trapped, the police won't get called until after the fact.

rod
11-17-2009, 3:51 AM
Shoot the bastard with good ammo out of a cheap gun (I use a Hi-Point). I don't care if I loose that gun in some evidence locker or ever see it again.

Dr Pete
11-17-2009, 8:38 AM
Let my dogs eat the stupid person who can't read the signs posted :nopity:
Then call the cops and hope they get here before the dumb sh.t is bones.

CSACANNONEER
11-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Be very careful. IIRC, there is a case in the system or that has just ended where a LEO filed assault charges on someone for expelling gases towards him.

BillCA
11-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Dude. It's California. Reason and logic is illegal here ;)
...he said, adding nothing but FUD to the discussion.

BillCA
11-17-2009, 1:10 PM
Yes, seriously, every situation is unique and, unless you've been in similar situations before, you don't really know how you are going to react. It's obvious that all the guys here, who have posted about how they have planned every detail of their imaginary senerios, have never really been in such a situation. I remember being 5 years old and "training" in front of my house, with my cousin of the same age. There had just been an attempted stranger abduction a few blocks away so, we spent the next few days coriagraphing [sic] just how we were going to beat up the bad guys. It looks like many here still do that.

Any shooting incident you are involved in will not in the least resemble the one(s) that you trained for.

In my house I have installed several night lights. Not for tactical reasons (though that's reason enough) but to avoid stepping on the tuna-fed, gas-operated feline shredding machine in the dark.

Placing nightlights in strategic locations where they will either "backlight" someone or cast their shadows where you can see them from a safe location works wonders. The bathroom in the hallway is very good, with the mirrors reflecting more light into the hallway.

One in or near the entry hall and living room to cast shadows on walls or into the hallway opening will aid in locating perps.

If someone is in my house and has not yet reached the master bedroom, the hallway and bedroom door form a 12-ft long fatal funnel. At the end of this funnel they can expect fire from anything between .38 +P up to 12 gauge slugs.

Simple plan: Hold up in the bedroom, cover the hallway. Dial 911. If the hallway is entered and a clear target identified, firing is commenced immediately until neutralized.

SgtDinosaur
11-17-2009, 2:06 PM
If I'm brushing my teeth that means I'm in the master bedroom, which means I can quickly grab the cocked and loaded 1911 in the dresser drawer. What I do next depends on where my wife and daughter are. I would prefer to lie on the floor behind the bed and wait for the intruder to come to me. That may not be possible, in which case I would try to get the family into the same room as me. A lot depends on the circumstances. Worst case would be a shoot out in the house without knowing where the wife and/or daughter are. There are a lot of variables in this scenario. Things were a lot simpler when I was single.

dansgold
11-17-2009, 2:25 PM
Well, "Emma the wonder rat-terrier mutt thing" has a distinctively different bark when in "hey I don't know you and I am mad about it" vs. "cool! a squirrel!" modes. This makes her suitable for initial threat assessment, but she's otherwise worthless.

This is pretty close to my plan and scenario:"Police are on their way, you should get out before they arrive." I have no intention of announcing I am armed, I'll just watch the hallway that also leads to the kids' rooms. He can exit from 2 doors without having to cross through the line of fire.

The backup plan rests partly upon the fact that the 12-year-old (whose room is the most likely to be entered) is positively terrifying with her CRKT "bear claw" knives. She's been instructed to keep them hidden-in-hand until the hacking/slicing starts. (Should've never bought the Wolverine video for her)

The worst case scenario is that someone has entered the 7-year-olds room before I could take my position in the hall with the Mossberg. That's a hellish transition to handgun and much dreaded close-quarter tactics. The wife will be waiting outside the door to shoot or assist whatever comes out of that room.

AlliedArmory
11-17-2009, 3:20 PM
if the house is pretty quiet, the sound of a cocking shotgun should be sufficient to get them to run away

CSACANNONEER
11-17-2009, 7:38 PM
if the house is pretty quiet, the sound of a cocking shotgun should be sufficient to get them to run away

Then a quick trip to the grocery store to rent a rug doctor will be needed.

Noobert
11-17-2009, 7:39 PM

But what if it is their shotgun racking?:chris:

DisgruntledReaper
11-18-2009, 12:56 AM
I would have my handgun in 1 hand and my Big Heavy German Gothic Mace in the other and go Midievil on his ***.......have to train for the Ren faire..it for the Wenches!

BillCA
11-18-2009, 1:52 AM
But what if it is their shotgun racking?:chris:
That's simple. I put down whatever handgun I'm holding, grab my 12 bore and start hacking through walls with #00 and slugs. At those distances, very little in the way of walls will stop those rounds.

On the back end, however, the wall around the master bedroom door includes a load bearing 4x16" laminated and resin impregnated beam. It'll stop a .30-06 round at 20 ft. (tested on a scrap, just amazing!).

team1320
11-18-2009, 2:22 AM
i'd go to my HD weapon, turn off all the lights and put on my Call of duty: modern warfare 2 NVG and go prone in my hallway.. :84: