PDA

View Full Version : regestration question...

matt1840
10-30-2009, 5:18 PM
ok so last year my grandfather passed away all the rifles that we acquired while i was growing up were left to me. My grandfather was a huge NRA guy and didnt believe in registering his rifles/hand guns.

I acquired these last year and have a mound of rifles, shotguns, handguns. Do i have to register the rifles/shotguns?? And if so what do i do since they are not in his name? Everything was bought traded amongst family and close friends over the years.. and unfortunatly ive taken my grandfathers habits and done the same with my own rifles traded and bought from friends never any legal transfer.. Id like to make things legal, if i were to ever get pulled over with some guns in the car. And considering i was really pissed off when my new to me xd40 and s&w .357 were stolen out of my display case.. If they were registered i had a good chance to get them back in time.

any suggestions would be awesome.

Sinestr
10-30-2009, 5:27 PM
You might want to slow down a bit in your posting this is a public forum. The right people here should be able to articulate what should be done.

Quiet
10-30-2009, 6:04 PM
In CA, long guns (except assault weappons & Title 2 firearms) are not registered.

No paperwork is needed when you inherited them.

The handguns you inheritied must be registered.
Use the Operation of Law or Intra-familial Handgun Transaction (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) form to register the handguns with CA DOJ. In about 3-6 months you should recieve confirmation (via a letter) of the transaction.

In CA, since the 1990s, all firearm transfers (except for long guns over 50 years old) must be done through a CA FFL dealer.

matt1840
10-31-2009, 1:00 AM
In CA, long guns (except assault weappons & Title 2 firearms) are not registered.

No paperwork is needed when you inherited them.

The handguns you inheritied must be registered.
Use the Operation of Law or Intra-familial Handgun Transaction (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) form to register the handguns with CA DOJ. In about 3-6 months you should recieve confirmation (via a letter) of the transaction.

In CA, since the 1990s, all firearm transfers (except for long guns over 50 years old) must be done through a CA FFL dealer.

Thank you for the response. ill be sure to get the handguns registered.

As i said in my first post my home was broken into and 2 handguns stolen from a display case. They werent registered in my name and gone for good.. If they had been registered and i reported them stolen at some point they may come back to me.

So now that im thinkin about this, considering the rifles i have bought myself though personal transaction with someone that isnt family how would i go about registering those so if they were to ever get stolen i could prove they are mine?? I dont have bills of sale all transactions were cash for gun straight across swap no ffl dealer.

Quiet
10-31-2009, 1:09 AM
So now that im thinkin about this, considering the rifles i have bought myself though personal transaction with someone that isnt family how would i go about registering those so if they were to ever get stolen i could prove they are mine?? I dont have bills of sale all transactions were cash for gun straight across swap no ffl dealer.

You can...

1. Meet the former owners of the firearms at a FFL dealer and PPT them as if you just purchased them.

2. Voluntarily register them using the Firearm Ownership Record (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf) form. However, if you do this and the firearms happen to be stolen, you'll have some explaining to do to CA DOJ BOF. Which will require a lawyer to get you out of possessing stolen property and transfering firearms without the use of a FFL dealer, among other charges.

3. Do nothing and hope they never get stolen or a LEO never runs the serial numbers & they turn up to be stolen.

matt1840
10-31-2009, 1:23 AM
You can...

1. Meet the former owners of the firearms at a FFL dealer and PPT them as if you just purchased them.

2. Voluntarily register them using the Firearm Ownership Record (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf) form. However, if you do this and the firearms happen to be stolen, you'll have some explaining to do to CA DOJ BOF. Which will require a lawyer to get you out of possessing stolen property and transfering firearms without the use of a FFL dealer, among other charges.

3. Do nothing and hope they never get stolen or a LEO never runs the serial numbers & they turn up to be stolen.

well damn i know a few of the people i bought from still so i guess ffl will do with those.. as for some others friends of friends type thing.. so i guess the ownership form will work.

Anyway to run numbers to check if they are stolen?

bigcalidave
10-31-2009, 1:53 AM
Delete both references to your improper transactions now too.