PDA

View Full Version : 10th congressional district vote?

Crunchy_Taco
10-30-2009, 4:08 PM
Only pro 2nd amendment is David Harmer?

Got my info from
http://www.halfwaytoconcord.com/gun-owners-endorse-harmer/

Vote is for Tuesday, November 3rd

berto
10-30-2009, 5:10 PM
Only pro 2nd amendment is David Harmer?

Got my info from
http://www.halfwaytoconcord.com/gun-owners-endorse-harmer/

Vote is for Tuesday, November 3rd

Tuesday.

Please vote for Harmer.

Garamendi is an anti and doesn't even live in the district.

Low turnout overall but high turnout for Harmer by republicans, 2A folks, etc. is the only way harmer can win.

Paladin01
10-31-2009, 11:33 AM
BTT

Crunchy_Taco
11-02-2009, 12:34 AM
BTT

thanky

navyinrwanda
11-02-2009, 2:56 AM
GOA is sometimes a bit "over-the-top," but they have a good assessment of the 10th congressional district candidates:

GOA-PVF Makes Endorsement in California Special Election
October 2009

On November 3rd, there will be a special election in California's Tenth Congressional District to fill the seat vacated by Ellen Tauscher.

Gun Owners of America Political Victory Fund has endorsed David Harmer for Congress to fill this seat.

Mr. Harmer's 'A' rating from Gun Owners of America is based on his unwavering support of the right to keep and bear arms. The answers provided by David Harmer on the GOA Candidate Survey are 100% in support of your Second Amendment rights.

In addition, Mr. Harmer is a legal historian who authored a 1998 Brigham Young University Law Review article entitled Securing a Free State: Why the Second Amendment Matters. This work contributed significantly to the shift in legal thinking that the Second Amendment protects an individual right as opposed to a collective right.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms is the ultimate guarantor of all their other constitutionally recognized rights," wrote Mr. Harmer, echoing the widely held view of America's founding fathers.

On the other side in this race is anti-gun Lt. Governor John Garamendi.

Garamendi, who does not even live in the 10th district, will be nothing more than a cheerleader for President Obama's and Nancy Pelosi's gun control schemes such as a reinstatement of a ban on many semi-automatic firearms and gun owner licensing and registration.

Garamendi is also a leading proponent of government-run health care, an issue he promoted with former president Bill Clinton.

As GOA has warned for several months, the current ObamaCare legislation will pump your medical information into a medical database that was created under the stimulus bill earlier this year.

A national medical database could easily be used by an anti-gun administration to deny your right to purchase firearms. The federal government has already used medical diagnoses (such as PTSD) to deny more than 150,000 military veterans the right to own guns without their being convicted of a crime or receiving any due process of law.

David Harmer will not support any legislation that would infringe on the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans.

GOA-PVF encourages gun owners across the Golden State to get behind David Harmer.

Of course, if you live in the Tenth Congressional District, be sure to vote for David Harmer on Tuesday, November 3rd.

Even if you live outside the District, you can still play an important role in this race by going to http://www.harmerforcongress.com and making a generous contribution.

This race is tightening and Garamendi is attacking wildly. Recently, when asked about the differences between the two candidates, Garamendi mocked David Harmer's support of your Second Amendment rights.

Garamendi is just another career politician who views gun ownership as a privilege granted by the government, as opposed to a fundamental, constitutionally guaranteed right.

David Harmer agrees with men like James Madison, who noted that "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

David Harmer started off as an underdog in this race, but polls show the gap is steadily closing. We have an opportunity to send a strong message to Washington that says NO to gun control and NO to the anti-gun national health care database.

Please visit http://www.harmerforcongress.com today to show your support for David Harmer.

dixieD
11-02-2009, 7:15 AM
Furthermore Garamendi has a 30+ years record of "serving" us and the state. That is experience we do not need. He, as an elected official of the last three decades, is directly responsible for the mess this state is in. Time for him to go away.

Check out Mark Levin's free podecast on Friday October 30. Although Mark Levin was not hosting, David Harmer was interviewed by the substitute and he said many good things.

Paladin01
11-03-2009, 2:04 PM
Any updates?

bwiese
11-03-2009, 2:10 PM
No updates until polling info arrives or votes counted.

Yes, it'd be nice that Harmer wins.

It's unlikely - unless this turns out to be ultra-low-turnout and every pro-biz, pro-gun person turns out.

There is a fairly large registration advantage to Dems, just not as large as SF or Oakland. Historically in most such seats incumbents win, often just for name recognition. While there's no 'seat' incumbent, Garamendi is well-known and has media bucks and is politically wise - which de facto gives him an incumbent's advangate.

Plus CA Republicans managed to alienate themselves from a non-religious-right area (antigay/antichoice doesn't play well up here). The residents in that district perceived Ellen Tauscher to be "moderate".

Harmer sounds like a great guy, at least for RKBA. But if I were in Vegas, I'd have to put my $$ on Garamendi.

You can, from the above post, also see why GOA is irrelevant. They start talking about "Obama care", when any credile gun org should be monofocused on gunrights and elective strategies needed to achieve progress in same.

OlderThanDirt
11-03-2009, 2:22 PM
GOA is sometimes a bit "over-the-top," but they have a good assessment of the 10th congressional district candidates:

GOA over-the-top? I find their e-mails very entertaining, especially where every piece of non-firearm legislation is really a backdoor attack on gun rights.

bwiese
11-03-2009, 2:26 PM
GOA over-the-top? I find their e-mails very entertaining, especially where every piece of non-firearm legislation is really a backdoor attack on gun rights.

We have enough issues about direct attacks on RKBA, that speculative worries about amendments to amendments during the 3rd blue moon are pretty irrelevant.

We need to fight the issues in front and on the periphery, instead of shadowboxing with GOA ghosts.

berto
11-03-2009, 4:17 PM
Please vote if you live in the district.

Crunchy_Taco
11-03-2009, 7:26 PM
Just voted, threw out a few bulletins on myspace and facebook hopefully some more people vote for him.

Quser.619
11-03-2009, 9:33 PM
Here's (http://www.sos.ca.gov/elect-results/cd10-results.htm) a link to see the results, updated every so often & official

Quser.619
11-03-2009, 9:34 PM
Not looking so good, but less than 30% counted so far, down

berto
11-03-2009, 9:51 PM
Down in flames.

Gotta hand it to Harmer's campaign, they called my house 5 times today. 3 robocalls and 2 actual people working the phones.

M1A Rifleman
11-04-2009, 9:59 AM
Not surprised. He did not do much in the way of advertisment. Only within the last month did his signs start showing up around the east bay. The Dem had his signage and ran his commercials since the primary. If you want to win as a Repub in this state it will unfortunately cost $$ and require much more in the way of a compaign than has been shown.

bwiese
11-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Not surprised. He did not do much in the way of advertisment. Only within the last month did his signs start showing up around the east bay. The Dem had his signage and ran his commercials since the primary. If you want to win as a Repub in this state it will unfortunately cost $$ and require much more in the way of a compaign than has been shown.

The Rs aren't gonna waste too much money on districts like this because they're +20% Dem reg, lotsa folks from SF/Oak hav moved there.

Harmer gave it the ol' college try, but he' was also battling name recognition with someone who (outside our viewpoints) has overall somewhat favorable rep.

M1A Rifleman
11-04-2009, 10:14 AM
That is my point Bill. Why bother to make a half-assed attempt and spend (waste) the money if it is already known that you will lose? If your going to do something, then go balls-out, spend whats required, and do anything and everything to get done right. This was the time if ever there was to get a Harmer in. 2010 may be the next opportunity, but alas, I'm sure the Rhinos will again squander the opportunity.

The phrase that it is better to rule in hell rather than to serve in heaven comes to mind when thinking about why the R's do what they do. They nodoubt think it is better to get the lib praise as a minority party for going along with the ruling Dems rather than to lead and promote right-wing ideals. :rolleyes:

Only 10 more years or so until retirement and I can get out to a right thinking state. :cool2:

hvengel
11-04-2009, 10:48 AM
The Rs aren't gonna waste too much money on districts like this because they're +20% Dem reg, lotsa folks from SF/Oak hav moved there.

Harmer gave it the ol' college try, but he' was also battling name recognition with someone who (outside our viewpoints) has overall somewhat favorable rep.

Harmer lost by 10% so he actually did very well considering that the Dems in the district out numbered Republicans by 20%. I think Obama won with close to a 25% margin in this district.

Also the district used to lean Republican but in 2000 it was gerrymandered to be a Dem district. Perhaps this will change by the 2012 election now that redistricting is in the hands of a non-partisan commission.

I think that considering Garamendi's name recognition and the margin Dems have in the district that Garamendi really didn't do that well as it represents about a 10% shift away from the Dems since the last election.

hvengel
11-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Down in flames.

Gotta hand it to Harmer's campaign, they called my house 5 times today. 3 robocalls and 2 actual people working the phones.

Yes I agree Harmer did a lot of good campaign work and actually did better than I thought he would in the election. I actually had canvassers come by my house a few weeks ago and this is the first time that has happened in any election since I have lived here. It was a young couple that looked to be in their early 20's. It was great to see that at least some younger voters get it.

M1A Rifleman
11-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Harmer lost by 10% so he actually did very well considering that the Dems in the district out numbered Republicans by 20%. I think Obama won with close to a 25% margin in this district.

Also the district used to lean Republican but in 2000 it was gerrymandered to be a Dem district. Perhaps this will change by the 2012 election now that redistricting is in the hands of a non-partisan commission.

I think that considering Garamendi's name recognition and the margin Dems have in the district that Garamendi really didn't do that well as it represents about a 10% shift away from the Dems since the last election.

But he still lost. I bet if more was done earlier, which has always been my complaint with the way his campaing was run, then maybe it would have been a win.

bwiese
11-04-2009, 12:08 PM
But he still lost. I bet if more was done earlier, which has always been my complaint with the way his campaing was run, then maybe it would have been a win.

Not in a 20% overhead district, with someone perceived as "right wing", with the coattails of a failed *state* R party. If he differentiated himself and said he was pro-choice and ran against the R party except on finance (or guns) he might have a chance.