PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Clip from Generation Kill...

AMDG
10-30-2009, 11:10 AM
http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=203118&ESRC=marine.nl

Sorry if repost.

Vanguard
10-30-2009, 11:25 AM
BOOM! HEADSHOT!

cortayack
10-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Good mini-series.....

tacticalcity
10-30-2009, 12:47 PM
I enjoyed that show. Though I have been told by a lot of different people that the real Captain David "Captain America" McGraw is actually a very squared away Marine in real life and didn't actually behave that way.

One of my closest friends is Diplomatic Security with the Department of State (can't say his name for obvious reasons), and they worked together in Iraq. Said the guy impressed the hell out of him. Read a lot posts from his marines on the Generation Kill forums that say he was a great officer and didn't act that way. So learning that, after watching and loving the show, really kinda pisses me off.

If the guy is as squared away as those who would know say...then this show (and less so the book-which I read) really did a hatchet job on the guy. I mean, they use his real name and then make him look like a buffoon. If it's true, that's one thing...but if it is not than I cannot possibly think of a more discraceful thing you could do to a Marine.

That said, there are a laundry list of great lines in this show…very entertaining.

wksun88
10-30-2009, 12:59 PM
wow looks good, anyone know where I can watch this series?

OutlawDon
10-30-2009, 1:11 PM
Awesome vid!

tacticalcity
10-30-2009, 1:24 PM
You can rent it.

Plisk
10-30-2009, 1:40 PM
FREEZE GOPHER!!!

brokestudent12
10-30-2009, 2:07 PM
wow looks good, anyone know where I can watch this series?

torrents

Spyder
10-30-2009, 2:43 PM
Don't you mean sweet MAGAZINE!?!?! Damnitt...

phish
10-30-2009, 3:08 PM
lol, the shooter's chant: nam myo renge kyo

I remember the first time I heard of that, I was 10 collecting the monthly subscription fee as a paper boy. Some new-age hippy type answered the door, and the place smelled of incense, most likely patchouli. She handed me the $6, along with a business card with those words on it.

just thought I'd share a little random childhood memory...

usmcchet9296
10-30-2009, 3:33 PM
I enjoyed that show. Though I have been told by a lot of different people that the real Captain David "Captain America" McGraw is actually a very squared away Marine in real life and didn't actually behave that way.

One of my closest friends is Diplomatic Security with the Department of State (can't say his name for obvious reasons), and they worked together in Iraq. Said the guy impressed the hell out of him. Read a lot posts from his marines on the Generation Kill forums that say he was a great officer and didn't act that way. So learning that, after watching and loving the show, really kinda pisses me off.

If the guy is as squared away as those who would know say...then this show (and less so the book-which I read) really did a hatchet job on the guy. I mean, they use his real name and then make him look like a buffoon. If it's true, that's one thing...but if it is not than I cannot possibly think of a more discraceful thing you could do to a Marine.

That said, there are a laundry list of great lines in this show…very entertaining.

No one enlisted or officer would ever make it into Recon being that stupid as they portrayed Capt America
it just wouldnt happen
I loved the movie but I knew from the beginning its biased against certain officers and just accepted its fiction pretending to be non-fiction

Eckolaker
10-30-2009, 3:45 PM
I never thought Capt. America was portrayed as stupid, just a little nutty.

Encino Man however, (Bravo Company Commander) was portrayed as an absolute meat-head retard. Botched Fire Missions, in-ability to relay proper information, directions, etc. Hell they even showed him taping up the windows of his Humvee.

Scout106
10-30-2009, 7:08 PM
Some Marine officers I knew were eccentric, including Force Recon (maybe especially FR) but a FR officer who could not call arty effectively and accurately would be a real stretch, especially by the time they reached the level of company commander. The real idiot was the one firing the AK and bayoneting the POW and no Marine of any rank would be so foolish and survive. Purely a Hollywood image. I enjoyed the series and thought actor who played the central Sgt - Skarsgaard - was very effective in portraying a combat proven Marine NCO.

BTW, the sniper team spotter was a real FR Marine on that entire movement, if I remember correctly.

phish
10-30-2009, 7:16 PM
BTW, the sniper team spotter was a real FR Marine on that entire movement, if I remember correctly.

Yes, from what I remember reading about the series. I'm not sure if he really believes there are no fat people in San Francisco though. ;)

usmcchet9296
10-30-2009, 7:44 PM
In the 4 years I was in the Corps I never saw anything less than absolute professionalism from the officers I served under or around. Yes there were some I thought were a-holes but gee thats life in the big city. No Capt America and Encino Man would have never made it in Recon eccentric or not. Remember this there are always two side to a story and with Generation Kill you got just one.

Rob454
10-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Hollywood makes anyone the way THEY want them to be. Remember Col. William Tavington ( the guy who played the a hole british colonel in The Patriot with Mel Gibson)?
Hollywood portrayed him as this heartless monster who wanted nothing more than to rape and pillage where in real life he was nothing like that
I take Hollyweird with about a spoonful of salt

Vinz
10-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Some Marine officers I knew were eccentric, including Force Recon (maybe especially FR) but a FR officer who could not call arty effectively and accurately would be a real stretch, especially by the time they reached the level of company commander. The real idiot was the one firing the AK and bayoneting the POW and no Marine of any rank would be so foolish and survive. Purely a Hollywood image. I enjoyed the series and thought actor who played the central Sgt - Skarsgaard - was very effective in portraying a combat proven Marine NCO.

yep Fruity Rudy....not I'd ever call him that to his face. LOL

I love the scene where he puts on all his gear, puts on his gas mask, grabs his rifle and proceeds to do full throttle laps on the base. In 125 degree weather to boot.

I don't think Captain David "Captain America" McGraw was portrayed as crazy, maybe a little over enthusiastic, nothing wrong with that. I liked the character.
Vinz

ChrisTKHarris
10-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Generation Kill and Band of Brothers were both great series.

I'm stocked for Tom Hanks/Steven Speilberg's new series The Pacific that's coming next year.

M. Sage
10-30-2009, 10:39 PM

Encino Man however, (Bravo Company Commander) was portrayed as an absolute meat-head retard. Botched Fire Missions, in-ability to relay proper information, directions, etc. Hell they even showed him taping up the windows of his Humvee.

That's in the book, too. He taped the windows to try and cut down on light from his laptop escaping during the initial push into Iraq.

Uriah02
10-30-2009, 10:42 PM
woot for netflix