PDA

View Full Version : Mayor of Irvine Anti MAIG letter response

jont92619
10-30-2009, 9:33 AM
I sent the following letter to the mayor of Irvine in regard to his membership in "Mayors Against Illegal Guns". His response is below. I will be firing off another letter to him and would appreciate any points or issues any Calgun folks may have for me to include.

Dear Mayor Kang,

Iím writing to express my displeasure with your membership in the group, Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG). MAIG is simply an Anti Firearm group whose underlying mission is to trample on the Second Amendment, and eventually outlaw private firearm ownership. To date, they have never done anything to go after illegal guns, but rather pushed their general anti gun agenda which affects legal gun owners.

Mayor Bloomberg who started the group is on record as to being against private firearm ownership and has used this altruistic sounding name to fool unknowing Mayors to join his cause. Iím assuming you are one of his unsuspecting victims who was recruited to join without being fully aware of the groupís underlying anti Second Amendment agenda.

I find it an interesting that states, counties and cities who are more liberal towards firearm ownership, or who issue their citizens Carry Concealed Weapons Permits, have a lower crime rate. As a former Police Officer with the City of Long Beach I can assure you the reason for this anomaly is simple. Criminals do not want to deal with people who are able to fight back.

Contrary to the anti gun crowdís usual mantra that if citizens are armed it will be the wild west in the streets, I urge you to check the actual statistics of jurisdictions who have allowed their citizens to be armed. They rarely see any shooting or violent incidents caused by CCW permit holders. Donít take my word for it, do your own research. Visit www.gunfacts.info for some extremely interesting information on the topic.

In closing, I request you resign your membership in Mayors Against Illegal Guns and support the Second Amendment. Join the other Mayors who have recently made this decision and have resigned their memberships in MAIG. Should you choose to stay associated with this group, and not fully support the Second Amendment and related issues, I will be sure to inform everyone I know about your stance on the matter and urge them to vote against you when you next run for office.

Mayor Kang's Response...

Thank you for your letter regarding my position on "Mayors Against illegal Guns"- a Group supported by 450 mayors across the nation. My support of "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" is based on the belief that criminals who possess, use and traffic illegal Guns should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Please be assured that I Support legal gun ownership consistent with the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution which protects the rights of citizens to own firearms.

I recognize that the vast majority of gun owners and dealers abide by the laws and Regulations regarding the purchase, ownership and sale of firearms. l have no interest in banning legal guns in lrvine, or any where in America. However I, firmly believe that criminals who use illegal guns should be held accountable for their actions.

More importantly we need to be proactive in preventing irresponsible gun dealers and private sellers from knowingly placing firearms into the hands of criminals. According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms 1.2 percent of gun dealers are the source of nearly 6 0 percent of guns traced to crimes nationwide each year. Preventing the sale of firearms to convicted criminals, the mentally ill and juveniles should be a priority that
all Americans firmly support.

Again, please be assured that I strongly support legal gun ownership consistent with the Second Amendment and the rights of citizens to own firearms. I certainly appreciate and will be mindful of the points you have raised regarding this issue.

Sincerely,

Sukhee Kang
Mayor

City of Irvine
PO Box 19575,
Irvine, CA 92623-9575

Paradiddle
10-30-2009, 9:49 AM
Pretty cool that he even replied. His points may be valid, but what isn't valid is that the MAIG group will do nothing to solve the issues he is concerned about.

Toolbox X
10-30-2009, 10:26 AM
That was an excellent response. Of course we know that MAIG has a very different agenda than the points Mayor Kang brought up.

I love animals and think they should be respected, but I don't belong to PETA.

If I were you I would write him back saying you agree 100% with everything he values, and then show how that MAIG's agenda is anti-gun, not anti-criminals-with-guns.

dwl
10-30-2009, 10:37 AM
I normally just lurk here and not post, but...

I do not understand what difference it makes whether a criminal who uses a gun in the commission of a crime is using a legal or illegal gun. IMO, The act of commission of a crime is what makes a criminal, not the weapon or tool that said criminal chooses to use or is able to obtain for the commission of that crme.

Why should the law concern itself with whether the criminal robs a gas station using a legal revolver or a machine gun? Should the punishment of that robbery be less if the robber used a revolver?

Sorry for the rant.

MasterYong
10-30-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm surprised you got such a succinct response, even if he's mistaken about the primary goals of MAIG. I'm surprised because the tone of your letter was extremely antagonistic and even threatening in the end (I'll tell everyone etc). I think that most mayors, presented with the same letter, wouldn't take to kindly to the tone...

acolytes
10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
If they want violent crime to decrease, it's pretty simple IMO. Make the punishment for the crime more severe. Most of the time the people that committ these crimes aren't afraid of the consequences. Make the consequences more severe and stop punishing the law abiding citizens and the crime rates should go down. Just my opinion.

oaklander
10-30-2009, 10:59 AM
I think it was a canned response. I am fairly certain that MAIG provides those to members.

Alan Block
10-30-2009, 11:48 AM
His response seems reasonable and articulate.

MasterYong
10-30-2009, 11:50 AM
I think it was a canned response. I am fairly certain that MAIG provides those to members.

That makes much more sense.

tunder
10-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Their roster number seems to be in question.

http://www.shootingwire.com/story/206613
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2361095/posts
http://daysofourtrailers.blogspot.com/2009/01/eight-naughty-mayors-sitting-in-jail.html

Some were never mayors, some have quit the organization after find out more about their core beliefs, and some are in the gray bar hotel and no longer mayors.

Cokebottle
10-30-2009, 12:22 PM
If they want violent crime to decrease, it's pretty simple IMO. Make the punishment for the crime more severe. Most of the time the people that committ these crimes aren't afraid of the consequences.
I disagree. Most criminals don't believe they will be caught.

It's no different than when we pulled crap off as kids thinking our parents or the principal would never find out. Sometimes we got away with it, most times we didn't.

In the criminal world, it's the opposite, where most times they do get away with it... it's the repetition and complacency that leads to sloppiness that gets them caught. Kids don't get busted stealing their first car stereo or laptop.... they get busted stealing the 10th.
That's a 1 out of 10 shot that reinforces "I probably won't get caught" because they lack the ability to see that the reason they were caught was because they made a mistake.

But the root of the problem doesn't change.
Criminals are by definition lawbreakers, so enacting new laws will do little to stop them.
That's where the gun grabbers get stuck when they decide to go after the legal sources of weapons, which is the only source they have any control over, in spite of the fact that they admit that it is 1.2% of the (regulatable) gun dealers sourcing 60% of guns used in crimes.
So they are punishing and infringing on the rights of 98.6% of gun dealers and 99.99% of citizens in an effort to reduce the incidence of gun crime by 60%... when even if successful, that 60% will simply source their weapons through the black market, or turn to B&E themselves and steal legally owned weapons.

Aldemar
10-30-2009, 2:38 PM
Naming an organization differently from it's intent is quite common. After all, most politicians will only read the first few pages of a document or ask a like-minded friend their opinion on a particular matter.

They have to go along with their herd.

dfletcher
10-30-2009, 4:07 PM
How is a Mayor able to NOT get involved with "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" without coming across poorly to the general public that elects him? What's the poor guy going to say - "Not only will I not join MAIG, I also won't join "Mayors Against Guys who Beat their Wives" and "Mayors Against Guys who Eat Little Puppies" .... The damn name is so slanted.

mquejr
10-30-2009, 4:21 PM

I do not understand what difference it makes whether a criminal who uses a gun in the commission of a crime is using a legal or illegal gun. IMO, The act of commission of a crime is what makes a criminal, not the weapon or tool that said criminal chooses to use or is able to obtain for the commission of that crme.

Why should the law concern itself with whether the criminal robs a gas station using a legal revolver or a machine gun? Should the punishment of that robbery be less if the robber used a revolver?

Sorry for the rant.

good point

ZUMNDAD
10-30-2009, 7:58 PM
I sent the good mayor a similar letter expressing my displeasure with his association with MAIG. I GOT THE EXACT SAME LETTER IN RESPONSE. :rolleyes:

I am going to wait a bit and send him another letter politely opening his eyes to the fact he is associated with the wrong group and suggest he join CGF, CRPA and the NRA. :D

Mstrty
10-30-2009, 9:40 PM
I recognize that the vast majority of gun owners and dealers abide by the laws and Regulations regarding the purchase, ownership and sale of firearms. l have no interest in banning legal guns in lrvine, or any where in America. However I, firmly believe that criminals who use illegal guns should be held accountable for their actions.

Am i missing something? I was unaware that criminals were allowed to use a gun of any kind.

chief003
10-30-2009, 10:11 PM

Sorry for the rant.

I strongly agree......its a similar issue to having a rifle with a pistol grip and a detachable magazine. If you are a gun shot victim, does it hurt less if the bullet came from a bolt action or semi auto rifle? Or one with a plastic vs wooden stock? I tend to believe that it doesn't.

Mute
10-31-2009, 8:45 AM
I suggest pointing out Bloomberg's track record of harassing law abiding gun owners and dealers and that by associating with MAIG he gives legitimacy to this clearly anti-2nd A group and would thus draw the ire of many a gun owning voter Irvine.

anothergunnut
10-31-2009, 7:24 PM
The mayor of Modesto was subject to a letter writing campaign thanks to the NRA. He quickly abandoned MAIG. I suspect that he didn't really know what he was signing up for; as previously noted, what politician is in favor of "illegal guns".

Codelphious
10-31-2009, 7:39 PM
Wait a second...

THIS GUY is the mayor of Irvine?!

http://www.designflavr.com/images/gallery/118581359.jpg

No wonder he supports this BS.

cineski
11-01-2009, 8:28 AM
Criminals are much more afraid of armed citizens than breaking laws and having tough consequences. The possibility of death by hitting the wrong person deters much more than a cushy couple of years in jail. I know jail really isn't cushy, but it's a much better alternative to getting shot, which petty criminals don't want. Consequences do nothing to stop criminally insane people.

If they want violent crime to decrease, it's pretty simple IMO. Make the punishment for the crime more severe. Most of the time the people that committ these crimes aren't afraid of the consequences. Make the consequences more severe and stop punishing the law abiding citizens and the crime rates should go down. Just my opinion.

KylaGWolf
11-01-2009, 9:16 PM
Is it just me or is the name of the group itself a big misnomer. Mayors Against Illegal Guns. Technically except in CA aren't most guns in general legal to own. Oh and how can a gun on its own be illegal? And wouldnt it be better to call the group Mayors Against Criminal Use of Guns? Then again when it comes to politics I guess its not supposed to make sense.

As for the response itself I found it to be rather boring...and full of double speak. I think Oaklander might be right in the it may be a canned response from the groups PR people.

dwtt
11-02-2009, 9:20 AM
Naming an organization differently from it's intent is quite common. After all, most politicians will only read the first few pages of a document or ask a like-minded friend their opinion on a particular matter.

They have to go along with their herd.

This is true and the MAIG has nothing to do with illegal guns, legal guns, or crime. It's about Bloomberg trying to shut down gun maker and retailers with law suits. Some mayors have quit MAIG after they learned what the real agenda is. Others, like Gavin in San Francisco, whole heartedly support Bloomberg, but I think most are too busy to find out the truth for themselves.
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=254&issue=011#quit

6172crew
11-02-2009, 4:44 PM
I wonder if the mistakes made by FFLs has to do with the fact there are so many laws on the books not too many people can keep up with them.

I remember picking up one of those 50 state firearms laws books at my old FFL and the CA section was like half the book.

jont92619
11-02-2009, 7:53 PM
So does anybody have the framework of another letter that could be sent to MAIG members? I covered some basic issues in my first letter but if anyone has some more solid points about MAIG shenanigans it would be great. Maybe a second letter to the Mayor will get me something other than a form letter response.