PDA

View Full Version : NRA vs. Brady Campaign - On Twitter

oaklander
10-30-2009, 2:15 AM
Thought this was interesting (twitter statistics):

Followers list of Brady Campaign (@bradybuzz)

Bio: Sensible Gun Laws Save Lives

Followers: 43 - Following: 16 - Updates: 10

--------------

Followers list of NRA News (@nranews)

Bio: Your first source for Second Amendment news and information

Followers: 10221 - Following: 89 - Updates: 3497

JustGone
10-30-2009, 3:06 AM
Nice find! +1

scott.cr
10-30-2009, 6:10 AM
Interesting. I guess owning and using firearms is a hobby, and attempting to prevent people from getting them is not.

SuperSet
10-30-2009, 7:05 AM
Marginalization is a good thing.

yellowfin
10-30-2009, 8:07 AM
Strange, I thought all of the Bradys were twits.

madmike
10-30-2009, 8:10 AM
CalgunsFdn - 163 followers... Sorry Brady bunch, you loose.

-madmike.

TimRB
10-30-2009, 8:17 AM
This is the gun owners' biggest strength--numbers. That, and many put their money where their mouths are, by joining pro-gun groups, and donating time and money to the cause of RKBA. The gun-grabbers are almost *never* fired up enough about gun-hating to do these things.

Ironically, the Brady Bunch is ideologically no different from any other hate group. It's just that it is currently politically correct to hate guns.

Tim

383green
10-30-2009, 9:51 AM
Just added one more follower to the good guys! ;)

Barney Gumble
10-30-2009, 10:35 AM
It shows that they don't have a broad base of support, but it doesn't mean they are weak. Their tactic is to wait for events that tap into people's primal (but ignorant) fears of guns, such as VA Tech and Columbine, and then co-opt those events to move their ball forward. We need to keep advancing our beach head so that the next time this happens they don't have anywhere to go.

Never assume they are finished...as they say, the price of liberty is eternal vigilance.

FreshTapCoke
10-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Facebook Groups
The Brady Campaign Discussion Group
800 members

National Rifle Association of America (NRA) -- Official Group
149,048 members

Unofficial NRA group
2,602 members (!!!!)

I feel sorry for the Brady Campaign's numbers so I'll include their "Pages" result as well
Facebook Pages
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
4,164 fans

Oh, wait, the NRA has a Facebook Page as well
NRA
24,650 fans

tube_ee
10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
This is the gun owners' biggest strength--numbers. That, and many put their money where their mouths are, by joining pro-gun groups, and donating time and money to the cause of RKBA. The gun-grabbers are almost *never* fired up enough about gun-hating to do these things.

Ironically, the Brady Bunch is ideologically no different from any other hate group. It's just that it is currently politically correct to hate guns.

Tim

To your first point, no argument... you nailed it.

But I would submit that there is an enormous difference, both factually and morally, between hating inanimate objects and hating human beings.

--Shannon

oaklander
10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Goes to show who REALLY has the grassroots support!

:D

Facebook Groups
The Brady Campaign Discussion Group
800 members

National Rifle Association of America (NRA) -- Official Group
149,048 members

Unofficial NRA group
2,602 members (!!!!)

I feel sorry for the Brady Campaign's numbers so I'll include their "Pages" result as well
Facebook Pages
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
4,164 fans

Oh, wait, the NRA has a Facebook Page as well
NRA
24,650 fans

oldrifle
10-30-2009, 12:26 PM
This just shows how much more passion the pro gunners have for their cause than the antis have for theirs. That's why we've been winning the fight. Get mad everyone, and show these jerks we mean business!

bigcalidave
10-30-2009, 1:08 PM
They have followers like
@stopgundeaths
@banassltweapons
@gunshowloophole
@protesteasyguns
@stopthenra

lol. And a bunch of politicians and morons.

They don't seem to follow anyone of interest though. Irrelevant twitter, probably not even associated with anyone from brady.

Flopper
10-30-2009, 1:28 PM
But I would submit that there is an enormous difference, both factually and morally, between hating inanimate objects and hating human beings.

--Shannon

You're not understanding what they actually hate here.

They may say they hate guns, or gun violence, but what they actually hate is human beings' natural right to self-defense.

They do hate people, and they are a hate group.

Their ignorance does not excuse them.

TimRB
10-30-2009, 1:50 PM
"But I would submit that there is an enormous difference, both factually and morally, between hating inanimate objects and hating human beings."

Fair enough, Shannon. I must admit that even I would not put the Brady Bunch in the same league as the KKK or Nazis.

On the other hand, many of the gun-grabbers do seem to actually hate pro-gun groups, especially the NRA. Invariably the NRA is portrayed as a bunch of despicable gun nuts who are trying as hard as they can to arm every criminal and mass-murderer in the country with a machine gun.

As the bumper sticker says, I am the NRA. So the line becomes a little bit blurred if someone declares himself an enemy of the NRA but not the NRA members.

Tim

oaklander
10-30-2009, 2:12 PM
My experience with people is that most people don't care about guns one way or the other, or are slightly in favor of them.

Then there are people like us, who care a great deal.

On the other end, there are the anti-gunners.

Most of the anti-gunners I have met became anti-gun because someone they know was the victim of "gun" violence. Due to their perceptions, they perceived the problem as being with the object, and not the shooter.

That sort of thinking can only be characterized as a subtle form of mental disorder.

The problem is that the overwhelming instances of LEGAL gun use are simply not good press. So the press is biased "against" guns, simply because the illegal use of guns make good press. This is how groups like Brady get their traction. They have little grassroots support, but tend to get picked up in the press, since it IS "good press."

"But I would submit that there is an enormous difference, both factually and morally, between hating inanimate objects and hating human beings."

Fair enough, Shannon. I must admit that even I would not put the Brady Bunch in the same league as the KKK or Nazis.

On the other hand, many of the gun-grabbers do seem to actually hate pro-gun groups, especially the NRA. Invariably the NRA is portrayed as a bunch of despicable gun nuts who are trying as hard as they can to arm every criminal and mass-murderer in the country with a machine gun.

As the bumper sticker says, I am the NRA. So the line becomes a little bit blurred if someone declares himself an enemy of the NRA but not the NRA members.

Tim

7x57
10-30-2009, 2:37 PM
M
The problem is that the overwhelming instances of LEGAL gun use are simply not good press. So the press is biased "against" guns, simply because the illegal use of guns make good press. This is how groups like Brady get their traction. They have little grassroots support, but tend to get picked up in the press, since it IS "good press."

I disagree. There are too many instances of reports carefully written to avoid mentioning a gun in a positive context for me to excuse the media simply on narrative grounds. They intentionally suppress the truth and have blood on their hands for it.

I also question the idea that positive gun use isn't "sexy" news. It fits very much with the American narrative of the underdog, and the widespread rage at criminality.

In any event, there is yet another factor--the fact that most DGUs end in deterrence without a shot being fired, and the law is so absolutely stacked against the citizen that nobody in their right mind would report a DGU that they didn't have to. Kleck's study that seems to have put a fork in the lie about DGUs being rare seems to have succeeded precisely because it made respondents comfortable enough with their anonymity that they were willing to say they'd drawn down on somebody.

Our work isn't done until there is little rational fear that you'll be treated as a criminal for an obviously clean DGU, shots fired or no. But that isn't the case here--a pro-gun LAPD cop explaining the process was most concerned to help you understand that you *would* be treated as a criminal and (my words, not his) re-assaulted by the state and to prepare people mentally for it.

That is not freedom, nor is it American. But rant aside, if nobody wants to report something they don't have to, and the media intentionally hides DGUs they can't ignore, it's easy to see how we get the reporting we have.

7x57

HondaMasterTech
10-30-2009, 3:38 PM
The media is made up of corporations who compete with eachother for the acceptance of the viewers. The media corporations generally choose to present gun stories in an anti-gun way because they feel it's safe. I think they do this not because the individuals in the corporation necessarily think guns are bad and want to express their hatred for guns, but because they want to be percieved as a corporation who is reporting news with the well-being of the public in mind. Which, is not the case. They are a business and want money. Which is why they present the news in the way they do. They prey on the insecurities of people. Its a bullcrap psychological tactic used to make billions of dollars. And, it works.

7x57
10-30-2009, 3:48 PM
Profit simply doesn't explain the behavior of the Kamikaze media. Fox news has far more viewers than the Kamikazes, because there is a real market for less liberal bias than they offer. They will allow their companies to fail before they serve that market. I'm kinda waiting for the time, down the road, when Fox, or one of the New Media companies actually buys one of the Kamikazes outright. That's the only way they would change their ideological slant, and the way their viewership is going it isn't a farfetched idea.

Notice the alternative to them serving a product enough people want to turn a profit: the left has been talking about the government bailing them out too. (Talk about Pravda and state control.)

This is why I talk about worldview--it takes a comprehensive ideology for people to be willing to do that in a supposedly open-market business. But I'm used to leaders who intentionally destroy their organization for ideological purposes, as this is more or less exactly what happened to the formerly-popular churches of the National Council of Churches. The last one has to shut off the lights.

The problem is that people don't think in terms of culture or worldview, and so don't understand that without alternative institutions the culture war is going to leave a country without institutions, which is probably a slow, painful, and fatal condition.

7x57

nick
10-30-2009, 4:08 PM
They have followers like
@stopgundeaths
@banassltweapons
@gunshowloophole
@protesteasyguns
@stopthenra

lol. And a bunch of politicians and morons.

They don't seem to follow anyone of interest though. Irrelevant twitter, probably not even associated with anyone from brady.

Sounds like accounts they've created themselves.

7x57
10-30-2009, 5:16 PM
Sounds like accounts they've created themselves.

Indeed. The amusing thing is that ideologically they *need* to be "grass-roots." I wonder if some of those accounts are made with at least some hope of getting traction.

Not that it matters--nobody is as grass-roots as gun rights.

7x57

nick
10-30-2009, 5:24 PM
Indeed. The amusing thing is that ideologically they *need* to be "grass-roots." I wonder if some of those accounts are made with at least some hope of getting traction.

Not that it matters--nobody is as grass-roots as gun rights.

7x57

NRA - 6 million strong special interest group. Brady's - 40 staffer strong grassroots organization :)

And it does matter. If you look at the reporting we get, gun rights groups are ALWAYS either the "gun lobby", or "special interests", while the anti organizations are always "grassroots". It's one of the more important lies to dispel.

7x57
10-30-2009, 5:34 PM
And it does matter. If you look at the reporting we get, gun rights groups are ALWAYS either the "gun lobby", or "special interests", while the anti organizations are always "grassroots". It's one of the more important lies to dispel.

I didn't mean it wasn't important. I meant it doesn't matter what they try, they'll never be within a million miles.

And yeah, it's important. If the most grass-roots lobby in the country can't get recognized as such, imagine if we weren't as member-driven as we are.

7x57

nick
10-30-2009, 5:55 PM
I didn't mean it wasn't important. I meant it doesn't matter what they try, they'll never be within a million miles.

And yeah, it's important. If the most grass-roots lobby in the country can't get recognized as such, imagine if we weren't as member-driven as we are.

7x57

I've never liked airsoft much...

7x57
10-30-2009, 6:00 PM
I've never liked airsoft much...

You think they'd let us keep airsoft? Hah. They'll say it "teaches violence, murder, and insurrection" and ban the equipment and probably the game.

I am NOT kidding.

7x57