PDA

View Full Version : WTK-DOJ Self Registration form 'sign off' legality-if post,tell me where.

DisgruntledReaper
10-29-2009, 5:29 PM
Hey I have been looking at the DOinJ forms that you print out ,fill out, send it and payfor the process. I have found an Item that I have a BIG issue with..

This is from the statement by the signature line-
'....I expressly authorize DOJ to perform firearms eligibility checks of alll relevent state and federal databases,including the National Criminal Background Check System. I ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT IF I CURRENTLY POSESS/OWN FIREARMS AND THE RESULTS OF THIS CHECK REVEAL THAT I AM INELIGIBLE EITHER TO LAWFULLY POSESS OR PURCHASE FIREARMS,I MUST RELINGQUISH ANY AND ALL FIREARMS IN MY POSESSION.'
---:eek::confused:
It is the last part that gets me because what would legally happen if someone were to register an inherited firearm or do a family transfer(this statement in question is on ALL the forms) and if there is some glitch like transposed #,mis spelled name,etc,like sometimes happens at a FFL, and you ALREADY own firearms and have for years with no issues,are you going to lose them all,all of a sudden??

How about if there is a question regarding the type or model of a firearm-like non rostered,custom made, rare,etc would/could it cause a glitch?
I have never had an issue with a transfer so do not know if this scenario also applies to a DROS denial through a FFL.....

What actually happens/would happen given the 2 different 'methods' of paperwork processing.
I see nO such statement on the 'normal FFL forms and State forms" that are filled out by the dealer when we purchase/transfer.

Do they put this statement on the form in order to 'discourage' 'normal people' from doing self registration, internal family transfers,or otherwise try to adhere to the morass of laws as opposed to going through a FFL??

Anyone have any experience,can someone help out on this??

Thank you all for the legal advice and pointers I get here...:D

GrizzlyGuy
10-29-2009, 5:54 PM
I'd suggest doing a Personal Firearms Eligibility Check first, but it says the same thing in its form. :(

DisgruntledReaper
10-29-2009, 7:31 PM
Yea seems like if you want to 'do it yourself' then you seem to be running a big risk if there is a glitch in the system....I mean a have drosd a warranty replacement pistol,bought a rifle, bought a couple bare receivers and like I have said, never an issue...but with my luck sometimes this would ne the 1 time I try it and whammo..oops they typed my SSN or cdl wrong and I TAKE THE HEAT..guess I just dont trust beaurorats with doing anything correctly..

Hopefully bwiese or someone can chime in.

dantodd
10-29-2009, 7:40 PM
You are running no risk to a glitch in the system other than having to straighten the glitch out. It's not like there is some magic wand they wave and your guns disappear. Yes, the DOJ can be difficult at times but everyone who has ever had an eligibility problem posted here has said the people they work with are very good and helpful.

ETA: Same wording shows up on firearms eligibility check form, personal importer form, and oplaw form. I'll bet it's on the DOJ form you sign at the FFL for any other transfer too.

DisgruntledReaper
10-30-2009, 1:02 AM
thank's.....it's just ..you know....disconcerting at times dealing with the DOinJ and the 'liberal minded' people who run the phones there...at least I seem to get them whenever I call.....

And I need to correct myself..I did have an 'issue'...but not a denial one... on my warrantee replacement pistol(frame crack on original) when i spoke to someone regarding this because I could not get a ser# duped on anew frame, they consider it a new purchase,had to take the test,pay incoming fee,dros...basically had to pay 110 bucks for my warr replaced pistol....guy was uninformed regarding the procedure I had to go through..especially the $50 ffl fee,25 dros...AND they HAD ME fill out the 'no longer in posession of' paperwork and send it in to PROVE it was destroyed..not the MFR AND the guy told me that THEY wont do the form,it is all on the 'registered owner' to inform them...I mean what happens if you do the paperwork and send it in and its not recorded properly....

Oh well I will go to ny local ffl and ask about seeing the form we all sign and see if the statement is there also..

artherd
10-30-2009, 1:42 AM
It doesn't really work that way...

If there's actually a glitch in the system that somehow actually lists you as a Prohibited Person, then the DOJ check isn't going to do anything that a DROS (or doing nothing) doesn't do. You're still prohibited.

False-posative Glitches like that are incredibly rare (I have never heard of one)

What is of concern to me is that a record of a registered Handgun in AFS might vanish due to data-loss. (the same error in a prohibited database would result in you being 'not-prohibited' :D )

This is also incredibly rare but quite a bit more plausible.

DisgruntledReaper
10-30-2009, 9:31 AM
Thank's Art..I guess I just have fought and petitioned and voted the best I can to keep ALL my rights despite what the screwballs in all levels of government in this state try to do to us, in all aspects of our daily lives and honestly I just dont really trust the 'machinery and the operators in the system(s)'

I guess I consider this issue as answered as it is going to get. Please tell me if you would like me to delete it or leave it.

Thank you.

dantodd
10-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Thank's Art..I guess I just have fought and petitioned and voted the best I can to keep ALL my rights despite what the screwballs in all levels of government in this state try to do to us, in all aspects of our daily lives and honestly I just dont really trust the 'machinery and the operators in the system(s)'

I guess I consider this issue as answered as it is going to get. Please tell me if you would like me to delete it or leave it.

Thank you.

Heck no. Don't delete it! Now, if someone else has the same question they can find an answer. Threads like these are excellent resources for the numerous lurkers and Search Engine referrals. CalGuns is here to educate and this thread surely fulfills that goal.

DisgruntledReaper
10-30-2009, 1:02 PM
OK, will leave it for hopefully future use to others.
Have a safe and fun holloween to all of us!! I am going to go score some candy/food at my friend's girlfriend's party..I have never been to a Russian/belarus holloween party!! Should be interesting..!