PDA

View Full Version : Advice to GUNPAL

Hunt
10-29-2009, 5:18 PM
not sure of you have thought of this but there are Millions of folks like me that have to do online transactions with gun phobic people. Therefore, your name just eliminated 10 20 million potential customers! If I send a GunPal invoice to some of my clients for my services I would lose business soooo fast Solutioncreate a divison of GUNPAL for all sales of all types that has a benign name a pro 2A company that pro 2A people can use with gun phobic people. I would switch all my business to you in 2 seconds if you didn't have that name

Black_Talon
10-29-2009, 5:53 PM
How about RKBAPal?

Or Pro2Apal?

Maestro Pistolero
10-29-2009, 6:09 PM
Nah. I hope they keep the name , and it becomes the most competitive, efficiently run business of it's type, so that businesses will have no choice but to use it. It's time we start desensitizing the public to these irrational phobias. I can't think of a better way.

Seesm
10-29-2009, 6:09 PM
How about 2 points to pay but they LINk to one "no name" site ro something like that...

Gunpal and Moneychange (made up name) both point to the main site... Gun people use Gun pal but they others use the other... EVERYONE in love and not scared of guns anymore?

But having said I do also agree with the Maestro... Look UP!!

nhanson
10-29-2009, 6:17 PM
Since a portion goes to charity.......why not a charity centric name and just because firearms are not an issue and CGF is one of the charities.......

Maybe CharityPay, CommunityPay, .....anyone else?

Hunt
10-29-2009, 6:20 PM
I would use them tonight to invoice a client but I would lose business therefore I am forced to support the anti gun PayPal sure wish I had an option there are 10 million customers like me waiting for a less activist name.
I do not like being forced to support PayPal.

anything with the word community keeps the libs happy. "CEP" Community E Pay no need to advertise it is a subdivision of GunPal let's turn the table and get antis supporting a 2A Pay method!!! simply make CEP a division of GunPal. CEP can be used anywhere GunPal used predominantly on gun sites and gun auctions. CEP cuts commission rates by .25% of PayPal and takes over!! Owner willing small percentage of all gets donated to RTBA activism

RRangel
10-29-2009, 6:37 PM
I doubt you're going to trick people into supporting the cause if they're "gun phobic." If they're squeamish about natural rights they'll find out sooner or later. It's also not that hard to create your own invoices.

You underestimate the hurdle in competing with a major player like Paypal. The fact that Gunpal is a more niche service tailored to firearms makes it better viable and it's a good start. The name identifies Gunpal to its market. Using it to conduct transactions other than gun related is icing on the cake. We should all be glad someone went the extra mile to bring this service to market.

Maestro Pistolero
10-29-2009, 6:54 PM
Money talks, BS walks. Just has to be the very best business of it's type. Blow them away with CS, price, fairness, efficiency. 'If you build it, they will come'.

dantodd
10-29-2009, 7:04 PM
Money talks, BS walks. Just has to be the very best business of it's type. Blow them away with CS, price, fairness, efficiency. 'If you build it, they will come'.

So, if the best service out there was obamapay.com you'd use it and not be turned off by the name?

Cokebottle
10-29-2009, 7:10 PM
So, if the best service out there was obamapay.com you'd use it and not be turned off by the name?
Depending on what charity they support, perhaps ;)

shark92651
10-29-2009, 8:48 PM
But isn't the whole purpose of GunPal to fill the niche that is left by PayPal and their anti-gun practices? I don't see GunPal taking on and toppling PayPal, rather it gives the middle-finger to PayPal while supporting the gun industry and picking up the customers PayPal does not want. In this arena it stands to succeed.

Maestro Pistolero
10-29-2009, 9:03 PM

That's not the point. My point is, if there was an internet-pay system that was called by any stupid, obnoxious, or off-putting name whatsoever, but that so happened to be by far, the best, cheapest, most dependable, and pleasant to use internet pay system in the world, that businesses would be forced to use it.

Why? Because companies aren't in the business of paying too much for inferior services. This is especially true for corporations, who are legally accountable to their stockholders to make sound financial decisions.

So keep the name, make it the best internet pay system in the world, and let people start getting used to the fact that 'guns' is not a dirty word anymore. Let's be done whispering about our fundamental constitutional rights.

dantodd
10-29-2009, 9:05 PM
That's not the point. My point is, if there was an internet-pay system that was called by any stupid, obnoxious, or off-putting name whatsoever, but that so happened to be by far, the best, cheapest, most dependable, and pleasant to use internet pay system in the world, that businesses would be forced to use it.

Why? Because companies aren't in the business of paying too much for inferior services. This is especially true for corporations, who are legally accountable to their stockholders to make sound financial decisions.

So keep the name, make it the best internet pay system in the world, and let people start getting used to the fact that 'guns' is not a dirty word anymore. Let's be done whispering about our fundamental constitutional rights.

So you are saying you WOULD use a service called obamapay or sorospal?

Maestro Pistolero
10-29-2009, 9:06 PM
But isn't the whole purpose of GunPal to fill the niche that is left by PayPal and their anti-gun practices? I don't see GunPal taking on and toppling PayPal, rather it gives the middle-finger to PayPal while supporting the gun industry and picking up the customers PayPal does not want. In this arena it stands to succeed.

It would do that, initially. But once the infrastructure is in place, there is no reason it couldn't grow to be as big as paypal. It's all about vision, and execution.

Cokebottle
10-29-2009, 9:12 PM
sorospal?
I'd draw the line there ;)
Obama will be bit a bad memory in 4 years.
Soros is going to be a pain in the a until he is finally laid to rest.

Zachs300zx
10-29-2009, 9:13 PM
I know everyone can't do this, but if I sell something I'm just going to refuse Paypal and state so. Gunpal is all I will accept for now on! If you don't like it I don't need your business :)

Maestro Pistolero
10-29-2009, 9:15 PM
So you are saying you WOULD use a service called obamapay or sorospal?

I might not like it, but yes, If it were a superior service, and the best economic decision for my company. So would most companies, and I say use that fact to advantage to desensitize people from the word 'gun' being taboo in the name of a mainstream business. Remember, most people believe in the individual right, by a huge margin.

RRangel
10-29-2009, 9:21 PM

Something tells me that one wouldn't be gun friendly.

dantodd
10-29-2009, 9:25 PM
Something tells me that one wouldn't be gun friendly.

That was sort of my point. Hunt's OP was that he would like to use GunPal but the name might be offensive to some of his clients so he'd be interested in a name that doesn't include gun but still supports "the movement." Look at the people in the united way thread who are afraid to have their HR group see that they are donating to a gun related charity. While it is a sad commentary on our society and we should all be working toward reversing the trend it does exist.

In California right now the closet has a whole lot more gun owners than gays in it.

Maestro Pistolero
10-29-2009, 9:26 PM
Yep, you're not paying for that Barrett with Obamapay!

ENVYGREEN
10-29-2009, 9:26 PM
I agree, ditch the gun part, why make growth that much harder? New business needs all the help it can get.

pullnshoot25
10-29-2009, 9:54 PM
I happen to like the name. However, an alternative might be LibertyPal :)

Maestro Pistolero
10-29-2009, 10:00 PM
I just signed up for Gunpal. As soon as my checking account is verified, I'm putting some bucks up there.

Maestro Pistolero
10-29-2009, 10:08 PM

This from the UOC poster child? I would have thought maybe BulletPay or something! :D
Actually liberty pay has a nice ring to it, but I love that the chosen name uses no euphemisms, and makes no apologies. A very nice move in outing the movement into the mainstream business world. And the board members? It's whose who of CA 2A soldiers. Hats off to you gentlemen.

tenpercentfirearms
10-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Let's see where the name GUNPAL goes. Let's face it, the 2.8% processing fee is not as good as my regular card processor's 2.02% and since it is my bank the funds are in there in a day.

However, why make than an excuse not to accept payments that support our Second Amendment rights?

So I just spent about 30 minutes max and just changed my shopping cart software and bam!

www.tenpercentfirearms.com

You can now check out with GUNPAL as a payment option. Maybe I can get the GUNPAL crew to make an automated option through Zencart, but for now it tells you to send the payment to my e-mail address for payment in your confirmation e-mail.

And there is absolutely no reason why I can't check you out in the actual physical store using GUNPAL either. We have computers, we just run you through the point of sale and then let you borrow a keyboard and send the money to us in the store. We confirm it and off you go.

Personally, I could care less if the name were something else. I don't think I will have a single customer complain about the name nor terminate our business relationship over the word GUN being in my payment processor name. :43:

RobG
10-29-2009, 10:33 PM

Thats the way I see it as well. If you are not a "gunner" you likely have no idea about PP's BS policies. Now its no more "discreet" PP:thumbsup:

Hunt
10-30-2009, 12:11 AM

I think folks miss my point. First very grateful Gunpal exists, I am simply suggesting Gunpal can seriously multiply it's results by creating a subsidary that has a benign sounding name and it could even grow to include financial support by others than the 2A activists. How much money do you unknowingly spend that ends up supporting the lefties? I need an online billpay and so far PayPal functions well but I really hate to support them.

Cokebottle
10-30-2009, 12:40 AM
I need an online billpay and so far PayPal functions well but I really hate to support them.
Yikes!
I do 100% of mine either directly through my bank's billpay system, or on the company's web site direct!

If you are concerned about security, get a prepaid Visa and use that on the various company web sites, that way they can't tap you dry... they can only drain the Visa.

Likewise, for anyone concerned with Gunpal... a prepaid or low-limit credit card is a great way to be able to use the service, but not allow direct access to your checking account.

artherd
10-30-2009, 1:38 AM
Thanks guys, we're watching and reading this thread. And we have big plans for the future :D

Hunt
10-30-2009, 1:42 AM
Yikes!
I do 100% of mine either directly through my bank's billpay system, or on the company's web site direct!

If you are concerned about security, get a prepaid Visa and use that on the various company web sites, that way they can't tap you dry... they can only drain the Visa.

Likewise, for anyone concerned with Gunpal... a prepaid or low-limit credit card is a great way to be able to use the service, but not allow direct access to your checking account.

I will check with my bank to see if they support email invoicing Nationwide even then the bank could be supporting lefties more than PayPal

ENVYGREEN
10-31-2009, 4:19 PM
I don't think I will have a single customer complain about the name nor terminate our business relationship over the word GUN being in my payment processor name. QUOTE

You sell guns why would anyone complain?

FreedomIsNotFree
10-31-2009, 5:49 PM
The point is, as a business owner, you don't want to alienate ANY customers before they have an opportunity to use your product/service.

I believe there is absolutely a market for this product. As the name stands now, that market would be primarily those gun related sites that offer products/services for sale...those folks that have been alienated by PayPal's anti gun policy.

If the goal is to make the GunPal service appeal to the larger, non gun owning public, the name itself would absolutely turn off a percentage of potential users.

dantodd
10-31-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys, we're watching and reading this thread. And we have big plans for the future :D

GunPal is a great name and a great idea, I hope you crush on GunBroker etc. It's also great that you're listening. A "stealth" branded version would be good for those who have to deal with anti-gunners (or just those who MIGHT be antis.)

SkatinJJ
10-31-2009, 11:24 PM
CivRPay = Civil Rights Pay

It IS about civil rights.

Semper FI!!!

JJ

pullnshoot25
11-01-2009, 3:15 AM
This from the UOC poster child? I would have thought maybe BulletPay or something! :D
Actually liberty pay has a nice ring to it, but I love that the chosen name uses no euphemisms, and makes no apologies. A very nice move in outing the movement into the mainstream business world. And the board members? It's whose who of CA 2A soldiers. Hats off to you gentlemen.

That makes it sound like a Mafia hit-man service, haha!

AngelDecoys
11-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Would love a mobile phone app. Paypal doesn't do one and it would be one more way to do a transaction at a gun show without needing cash and/or a credit card (with wireless machine).

One Shot Tactical
11-01-2009, 10:16 AM
I would get a business account right away for this if available in Canada.

Fantasma
11-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Yeah GunPal was not the best name, they are trying to comete with paypal by adding the capability for gun owners to make payments for gun related items and not having to be scared of having there accounts closed or whatever. They should have just named it some good competing name and gun related sales would just be one of their advantages over paypal, Not just the only advantage. Even pal at the end of the name is not so smart since it comes from paypal be original and it will succeed.

Fantasma
11-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Would love a mobile phone app. Paypal doesn't do one and it would be one more way to do a transaction at a gun show without needing cash and/or a credit card (with wireless machine).

Sure? I have it, its available on Iphones for free. "Theres an app for that"

https://www.paypal-labs.com/iphone/

oldrifle
11-01-2009, 11:39 AM
This is a great idea that I'm pretty sure that's already on the road map.

Dr. Peter Venkman
11-01-2009, 11:56 AM
I never understood the name "GunPal" if the objective was to reach an audience outside of the firearm industry.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-01-2009, 12:16 PM
I never understood the name "GunPal" if the objective was to reach an audience outside of the firearm industry.

I never understood the name "Amazon.com" if the objective was to reach an audience outside of that South American river basin. :p

AngelDecoys
11-01-2009, 2:01 PM
Sure? I have it, its available on Iphones for free. "Theres an app for that"

https://www.paypal-labs.com/iphone/

No. I wasn't sure. Cool though. I have a blackberry. Didn't know it was already available for the iphone. For a merchant, its easy enough to use a bluetooth credit card scanner with your phone. Just roll that onto gunpal.

FreedomIsNotFree
11-01-2009, 2:21 PM
If there are any devs out there, create and app for android.

pullnshoot25
11-01-2009, 3:34 PM
There isn't any reason to not have multiple payment systems under the same umbrella.

Gunpal for the oppressed gun owners or people who can see past a meaningless stigma

Xpal for the oppressed gun owners and all the people that are too PC/scared to use Gunpal OR prefer a mainstream payment system that isn't as lame or overbearing as Paypal ("X" meaning another name)

Cokebottle
11-01-2009, 4:00 PM
There isn't any reason to not have multiple payment systems under the same umbrella.

Gunpal for the oppressed gun owners or people who can see past a meaningless stigma

Xpal for the oppressed gun owners and all the people that are too PC/scared to use Gunpal OR prefer a mainstream payment system that isn't as lame or overbearing as Paypal ("X" meaning another name)
Why hide?

The problem with running multiple systems is that users of Xpal who are not aware of Gunpal may become ex-users, and even proponents of a general boycott when (not if) they discover that Xpal is related to Gunpal and that Gunpal contributes a portion of it's fees to CGF.
Even if Xpal's funds are not directly included in the CGF contributions, since both would be under the same umbrella, it could be argued that Xpal's profits are supporting the Gunpal side of the business, thereby indirectly being a contributor.

How many other business have suffered because of a "discovery" that they support liberal environmental groups such as the Sierra Club, ELF, ALF, PETA, etc...?
Full disclosure up front eliminates the possibility of the LOSS of business in the future.

Even with the massive fall in Bush's popularity, after over 6 years, "W Ketchup" is still in business (and it's good stuff too!)
http://www.wketchup.com/
Officially, they claim that the "W" stands for "Washington", but the product was released during the 2004 campaign, and was a direct attack on Heinz contributing to the DNC.
My wife still calls it "George W. Bush Ketchup" (but she also refers to Pam Anderson as "Pamela Sue Anderson")

Yes, it's a niche market and is self-limiting, but I don't think the creators are concerned about knocking Paypal off of their "top dog" status... just in providing an online payment system that won't lock your account for purchasing firearms.

I prefer using services like this when purchasing online from vendors I have not dealt with before. With so many people hacking servers, it is wise to limit the number of servers out there who have your CC or bank account data stored. Using Paypal/Gunpal allows you to pay anyone without directly providing them with anything more than your email and shipping address, and allows you to contribute to charities with nothing more than your email address.

That's why on the poll in the other thread, I answered that I would continue to use both. I would never expect everyone that I purchase from to accept Gunpal payments, but if someone does offer the option, I'll use it.
I think this is an excellent option for Gunbroker transactions.

We can always spread the word, particularly to eBay sellers that we've worked with before.

dantodd
11-01-2009, 4:43 PM
Full disclosure up front eliminates the possibility of the LOSS of business in the future.

Better to have profited and lost than never to have profited at all.

Dr. Peter Venkman
11-02-2009, 1:19 AM
I never understood the name "Amazon.com" if the objective was to reach an audience outside of that South American river basin. :p

I do not believe that Amazon.com turns off as many customers as would GunPal.

pullnshoot25
11-02-2009, 6:22 AM
I do not believe that Amazon.com turns off as many customers as would GunPal.

I could make a joke about the Amazon, hehe.

RP1911
11-02-2009, 8:33 AM
I run an online business and one of the options is PayPal. I would love to have an alternative like GunPal. However, it is not feasible to use that name. Maybe something along the lines of SurePay, SecurePay, FastPay/FastPal, BINPal, ePay/ePal, eTrans, iPay/iPal....

20% of my customers use PayPal. Remainder use the major CC companies.

Next issue our own CC. Get a cut from every transaction.

cineski
11-02-2009, 8:36 AM
I never understood why they chose to keep the 'pal' from PayPal? Why even associate it with them? LibertyPay has a nice ring to it and even sounds like a normal bank.

a1c
11-02-2009, 8:46 AM
GunPal markets itself as "an alternative to PayPal" - which means it is not really trying to compete with PayPal.

And Ben Cannon has been presenting it as "what RKBA Payments will look like."

It's clear they're aiming at meeting a need in a niche market, and that's legal firearm-related transactions. Even though there is no mention of the word "firearm" on the front page of their website and they are introducing themselves as a way to permit "legal" transactions that PayPal won't authorize because of their TOS, "GunPal" is a pretty good giveaway. The stock photos (which don't feature any firearm) are not fooling anybody.

It's not like they are advertising themselves as a way for people to pay for other controversial yet legal items like porn ("obscene" items are not acceptable for PayPal either, whatever that means).

I say considering the median transaction on GunPal is probably going to be much higher than that of PayPal, and considering they're meeting a need - provided they can successfully fight the natural paranoia demonstrated by some gun owners - they should focus on RKBA-friendly transactions. Not sure what their overhead is, but it's better to be a successful niche player than a so-so also-ran.

And GunPal is not going to hurt as a name - it might in fact help them. And if they play their PR right, they will definitely get some coverage. Might it attract bad press? Sure. But bad publicity is better than no press at all.

No one is going to pick GunPal over PayPal if they're not into firearms, even if GunPal renames itself xPal. PayPal has its flaws, but overall it does its job very well, and tons of people already use it. I don't think GunPal's name is going to hurt them, since they are clearly targeting gun-friendly users.

Midian
11-02-2009, 9:45 AM
I like the name Gunpal. Tells you what it is without being an apologist.

SKSer
11-02-2009, 1:07 PM
I like the idea of having a second alternative because anti gunnies will be supporting the 2A fight and not even know it!
Barrack: "Hey michelle, did you pay for my pink bunny slippers I won on ebay yet"

Michelle: " No honey, PayPal was down, so we have to wait for the sight to come back up again"

Barrack: "hey, I heard about this new site called LibertyPay, it has a nice ring to it, lets give it a shot"

MasterYong
11-02-2009, 1:21 PM
I agree with the OP. When I got the email announcing GunPal I thought to myself: "seriously? ...and they expect this to catch on HOW?"

The email made it clear that GunPal's mission was to directly compete with PayPal. I understand if it's meant to fill a niche- that makes sense and will probably WORK... but to compete with PayPal is silly using a name like GunPal.

In addition- isn't there a copyright issue? Seems like "GunPal" is waaay to intentionally similar to "PayPal". That'd be like starting a Search engine called Gungle just for firearm-related sites. You'd be shut down pretty quick...

a1c
11-02-2009, 1:41 PM
In addition- isn't there a copyright issue? Seems like "GunPal" is waaay to intentionally similar to "PayPal". That'd be like starting a Search engine called Gungle just for firearm-related sites. You'd be shut down pretty quick...

You mean trademark, not copyright. And no: "pal" is a common word and "GunPal" (or their logo) is not similar enough to "PayPal" to cause them any trouble.

MasterYong
11-02-2009, 1:57 PM
You mean trademark, not copyright. And no: "pal" is a common word and "GunPal" (or their logo) is not similar enough to "PayPal" to cause them any trouble.

Meh. One could also argue that the word "pal" is not commonly used in the industry, and that GunPal's usage is intentional in portraying the company as somehow being similar or even affiliated with PayPal.

Anyone that thinks they used the word "pal" with no intention of banking on PayPal's trademark is insane.

Cokebottle
11-02-2009, 2:11 PM
Meh. One could also argue that the word "pal" is not commonly used in the industry, and that GunPal's usage is intentional in portraying the company as somehow being similar or even affiliated with PayPal.

Anyone that thinks they used the word "pal" with no intention of banking on PayPal's trademark is insane.
http://www.bidbay.ca/

Yes, bidbay.com is gone... They settled the eBay case rather than continue to fight it due to costs.

MasterYong
11-03-2009, 6:35 AM
http://www.bidbay.ca/

Yes, bidbay.com is gone... They settled the eBay case rather than continue to fight it due to costs.

So... you're agreeing then? Enforcing trademarks at an international level certainly is more difficult than doing so on a national level... would make sense that bidbay.ca still exists.

dirtnap
11-03-2009, 6:49 AM
How about we actually let the thing take off before coming out of the woodwork with all these "great" ideas. If so many of you have the ideal name down, go start your own "whateverpal" and then come and tell us how it goes. IMO gunpal, at this point, is not intended for all the "other" customers out there, and I'm happy with that.

MasterYong
11-03-2009, 7:33 AM
How about we actually let the thing take off before coming out of the woodwork with all these "great" ideas. If so many of you have the ideal name down, go start your own "whateverpal" and then come and tell us how it goes. IMO gunpal, at this point, is not intended for all the "other" customers out there, and I'm happy with that.

Wow... did you sleep in the sand last night or something?

All I'm saying (well, me and some others) is that the choice of a name was unfortunate, given that we WANT the organization to do well.

Also, the email that was sent out announcing GunPal stated that it was going to directly compete with PayPal. If you want to have your own opinion that directly contradicts the statements made by GunPal, that's fine.

How 'bout this (taken directly from gunpal.net):

"What is GUNPAL?

GUNPAL is an alternative to PayPal™ that donates a portion of the proceeds from every transaction to a Non-Profit Organization of your choice. GUNPAL does not discriminate based on the nature of your transaction, requiring only that the merchandise or services you buy and sell be legal. See our User Agreement for more information. (PayPal™ is a Trademark of eBay, Inc.)"

I don't see anything that states it's only intended to fill in the gaps left by PayPal.

dirtnap
11-03-2009, 7:46 AM
No, I'm not in a bad mood. It just bugs me up that we finally get a way to pay for legal firearm parts, without having to hide like criminals, and already people are trying to change it. How about we give it a few months before opening up to the same people that neutered paypal....

five.five-six
02-11-2010, 11:08 AM
ehh, gunpall is not ready for prime time, i am having a helava time logging into my account and not much in the way of customer service.... Idon't think paypal was ever this much trouble

artherd
02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
PM me on your login issues, I will make sure someone gets on it right away.

obeygiant
02-11-2010, 11:44 AM
ehh, gunpall is not ready for prime time, i am having a helava time logging into my account and not much in the way of customer service.... Idon't think paypal was ever this much trouble

The one time i did have an issue with logging in, I sent an email to support and received a response within about 10-20 minutes iirc and was able to login after that. That's a much better response time than I have ever gotten from paypal.

OleCuss
02-11-2010, 11:56 AM
I avoid PayPal and I've not signed up for GunPal. GunPal is likely to have too limited an application. I agree with a name change - LibertyPal would work very nicely (I think).

thegratenate
02-11-2010, 12:11 PM
I have an overwhelming desire to just use the #7 sized bold type and spell out what paypal can go and do to itself. But I will refrain.

I will however state that using the name "Gunpal may have been a very good tactical move, it does not hide any cards, deception is a bad thing, and trying to sugar coat who is behind Gunpal would only backfire in the end, by naming the company "Gunpal" it takes that "ammunition" away from the enemy. I bet that the enemy would have been all to happy to findout that "warm and fuzzy pal" was actually a "front company" for the "evil" Calguns Foundation, and was backed with a fortune in "gunmoney". The way it is there is no doubt about what Gunpal is and why it exists. There is zero deception, and those who believe in rights can join, while those who do not can remain with paypal. I say screw'em don't give a single red cent to a company that refuses to acknowledge our God given rights, the second amendment is only one of many rights that are enumerated in the amendments to the Constitution, I say they are all important, and if they don't respect them all they have no respect for any of them.

CABilly
02-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Well, if PornPal was the superior product, would you insist that your clients either use it or take a hike?

I know pr0n and guns are apples and oranges, but to antis guns are just as distasteful in their view as pr0n. It's not my venture, but considering the market for online gun-related purchases, and the rest of ecommerce, I'd have my eyes on the bigger prize. If you CAN work up to competing with PayPal, why not?

CABilly
02-11-2010, 12:14 PM
I have an overwhelming desire to just use the #7 sized bold type and spell out what paypal can go and do to itself. But I will refrain.

I will however state that using the name "Gunpal: may have been a very good tactical move, it does not hide any cards, deception is a bad thing, and trying to sugar coat who is behind Gunpal would only backfire in the end, by naming the company "Gunpal" it takes that "ammunition" away from the enemy. I bet that the enemy would have been all to happy to findout that "warm and fuzzy pal" was actually a "front company" for the "evil" Calguns Foundation, and was backed with a fortune in "gunmoney". The way it is there is no doubt about what Gunpal is and why it exists. There is zero deception, and those who believe in rights can join, while those who do not can remain with paypal. I say screw'em don't give a single red cent to a company that refuses to acknowledge our God given rights, the second amendment is only one of many rights that are enumerated in the amendments to the Constitution, I say they are all important, and if they don't respect them all they have no respect for any of them.

It's not about censorship. It's really doing the same thing a PayPal, which is politicizing an unrelated* business transaction. If I were a business man, I wouldn't care what your political beliefs are - your dollars look just as good on my account sheets as anyone else's.

*That is, if you're planning on using GunPal for anything other than gun-related transactions.

thegratenate
02-11-2010, 4:21 PM
I contend that all transactions are related, especially financial ones, with Gunpal being even more relevant. The reason for this contention is that business owners, or CEOs make profits, and then many of them are inclined to donate a portion of those profits to causes that are near and dear to their own hearts. If someone feels that I should not have access to all of the rights enumerated in the first ten and subsequent ammendments to the Constitution I feel that it is my RESPONSIBILITY to not support them, and their cause. If there happens to be someone else who is offering a similar service, but happens to support the previosly mentioned rights, I feel that I have a RESPONSIBILITY to support them.

Cokebottle
02-11-2010, 8:04 PM
How long have you been with PayPal?

I joined up in the beginning... back when they were offering $5 for every friend that you signed up.
They've had their growing pains, and if anything, support has gotten worse.

Theseus
02-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Although I can see why, I don't agree. I think it is important that we make statements and show that businesses that cater specifically to gun owners can be as profitable and successful as ones that flounder and serve the anti's.

Show them that we spend money and can make an impact to those that have small unimaginative minds.

five.five-six
02-12-2010, 4:37 PM
PM me on your login issues, I will make sure someone gets on it right away.

pm sent... yesterday, still nothing.... my last 2 emails went unreplied..... not good :(

five.five-six
02-12-2010, 4:39 PM
How long have you been with PayPal?

IDK, like 10 years or so... but you can make a phone call for help in a few minutes

Cokebottle
02-12-2010, 6:51 PM
IDK, like 10 years or so... but you can make a phone call for help in a few minutes
Still today?
A couple of years ago I tried calling and after 30 minutes I still wasn't able to connect to a human being (or a 'bot that could interact as a human being).

five.five-six
02-12-2010, 8:11 PM
no, these days (I did a lot of selling last year) takes about 10 minutes to get a helpfull person

turbosbox
02-12-2010, 9:37 PM
If it ever actually grows into something, you can be sure paypal will sue to change the name. Then so much would be lost in building the brand.
If it's only goal was a smalltime thing to facilitate gun related transactions, maybe it was a good choice. If the intention was to grow into something outside of this it was not fully thought out.
When I was signing up it wasn't even clear if it was only a way to pay for calguns site transactions or what. A name doesn't matter? Ok let's call it gaypal :grouphug: Then we get to wonder what we can purchase with that :confused:

maybe something else, "anydebit" or somethin'.

artherd
02-13-2010, 11:29 AM
pm sent... yesterday, still nothing.... my last 2 emails went unreplied..... not good :(

I'm very sorry about that - email is not horribly reliable, one of my goals at GP is to move us to a secure messaging portal and offer alternative notifications and communication like SMS.

Here is our support log dates (all info redacted.) We have a 24 hour turnaround commitment, and it appears we had been in touch with you less than 3 minutes after you opened your ticket.

Wed, Feb 10 2010 7:43pm - Customer opens ticket, cannot login.
TICKET DETAILS
***BE ADVISED: USER WAS NOT LOGGED INTO GUNPAL AT TIME OF TICKET***
Wed, Feb 10 2010 7:46pm - GUNPAL Support
Wed, Feb 10 2010 8:17pm - Customer Reply.
Thu, Feb 11 2010 11:07am - Customer Reply.
Fri, Feb 12 2010 4:47pm - GUNPAL Support
Fri, Feb 12 2010 9:33pm - GUNPAL Support
Sat, Feb 13 2010 9:51am - Customer Reply.
Sat, Feb 13 2010 9:57am - GUNPAL Support (resolved the issue, customer made a typo.)

We do intend to offer phone support - but only when we can do so with little to no hold time for Domestic trained personnel from the user's home country. There is nothing more frustrating than sitting on the phone wasting your time.

gbp
02-13-2010, 12:50 PM
for what i use it for the current name suits

but does this belong in the politics and laws section?

Anothercoilgun
02-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Is the suggestion to no longer hide and be shamefull via a name change? Whats the point. There is a reason its named GunPal. Change the name and it turns into another dime a dozen corporation with the bottom line as its dogma as opposed to liberation.

You need not make GunPal your exclusive means of payment. If you want to be the middle man for all the worlds transactions then make up your own institution and call it PieInSkyPal.

turbosbox
02-14-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm thinking the aggressive marketing campaign isn't working, and she didn't signup for the PlayPal debit card. :cool: