PDA

View Full Version : Shipping C&R rifles

alpalwal
10-29-2009, 1:39 PM
I went to go ship a C&R shotgun today at Fedex. They told me it had to go to an ffl, be in a fedex box, and be shipped priority overnight.

I've received C&R rifles from them before and none of these requirements were fulfilled. Do you just not tell them it's a firearm because it doesn't need to go through transfer?

Is UPS less of a pain to deal with?

freakshow10mm
10-29-2009, 1:42 PM
It's a long gun. Just mail it.

alpalwal
10-29-2009, 1:47 PM
It's a long gun. Just mail it.

And I don't need to declare it or any crap like that?

hoozaru
10-29-2009, 1:49 PM
UPS service center

ke6guj
10-29-2009, 2:03 PM
And I don't need to declare it or any crap like that?

It depends. Was it being shipped across state lines? To an FFL? Or in an intrastate shipment?

Johnny?
10-29-2009, 2:12 PM
hey there, i am planning to ship a C&r rifle, what are the process of shipping it legally?? Do I have to bring it to a FFL shop to ship it or I can walk in to any UPS??

alpalwal
10-29-2009, 2:16 PM
It's just going from San Jose to Socal

ke6guj
10-29-2009, 2:21 PM
OK, as a 50+ year-old long gun, you are exempt from CA law that requires an FFL be involved in the shipment. Federally, you are exempt as well since the transfer occurs entirely within one state between 2 residents of the state.

Now, fedex and ups may have their own rules that require a shipment go through an FFL, but that is just a company rule, not backed up by law.

alpalwal
10-29-2009, 2:33 PM
Great, thanks. I think when I take it to UPS tomorrow I'm just not going to tell them to avoid the hassle of dumb employees considering it's legal anyways.

paul0660
10-29-2009, 2:48 PM
It's all right here:

http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html

Fedex has its head up its butt, but those are their rules.

In state, USPS is usually cheaper than UPS ($15 vs. $20 on long guns.)

Johnny, longguns that are C&R and 50 years old can go straight to another California individual. Newer longguns and handguns have to go to a FFL 01. Out of state, C&R (on the Federal list) can go to a FFL 03, the rest have to go to a 01.

timdps
10-29-2009, 3:11 PM
USPS requires that you declare that there is a rifle in the box. As long as you get a postal person that knows their laws, you should have no problems.

Too many guns being stolen by UPS and Fedex employees for me to want to ship rifles through either of them...

Tim