PDA

View Full Version : The Calguns Foundation is on Facebook & Call For Pics!

oaklander
10-29-2009, 1:13 PM
Folks, let's get as many people possible "fanning" CGF on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Calguns-Foundation/109382554741

p.s. - I just added a bunch of pics!!!

If you have additional CGF, or CGN-related photos to add, please post them in this thread and I will cross-post to the CGF Facebook page.

7x57
10-29-2009, 1:14 PM
So--what really geeky stuff are we going to hijack this thread with? :D

7x57

oaklander
10-29-2009, 1:16 PM
LOL - I've been on a Social Networking Kick for the last 3 days - it all started when I made a blog for my day job, and then went downhill from there!

DigitalAmmunition
10-29-2009, 1:16 PM
About time!! Adding you guys now!

woot

7x57
10-29-2009, 1:30 PM
Maybe I should start an anti-social networking site. If you sign up, we promise you'll never hear a word from any of our members. :D

7x57

dantodd
10-29-2009, 1:35 PM
So--what really geeky stuff are we going to hijack this thread with? :D

7x57

Comments on web 2.0487a?

7x57
10-29-2009, 1:56 PM
Comments on web 2.0487a?

Not obscure enough.

I have it. TeX sucks! troff rules!

7x57

putput
10-29-2009, 2:07 PM
So, where's this new calguns.com updated version thingy?

dantodd
10-29-2009, 2:10 PM
troff? way too weak for real layout. LaTex always worked well, as does latex but that's another story. I was on the orginal VRML working group started by wired magazine back in 1993 or 4 back when they actually had tech-cred. I got really bored with HTML as a generalized markup language when it stopped being generalized.

dantodd
10-29-2009, 2:10 PM
So, where's this new calguns.com updated version thingy?

You mean the shoulder thingy that goes up?

7x57
10-29-2009, 2:19 PM
troff? way too weak for real layout.

Well, since this is an Oaklander Web 2.0 thread, and therefore by definition fair game for this sort of threadjack, I'll bite.

Actually, it was a joke. My own preferences are rather the reverse, but troff is much older and is native unix, so naturally in geek discussions it has cred.

That said, TeX is Turing-complete, and that always counts heavily.

I got really bored with HTML as a generalized markup language when it stopped being generalized.

I hate anything and everything with any trace of SGML syntax. If the Constitution says we can't actually pass a ex post facto prohibition or bill of attainder even to punish the inventors of the <tag>...</tag> syntax, I don't know if freedom is worth letting those criminals against taste and brevity go unpunished. :chris:

Heh. I think I managed to take that right over the top and down the other side.

7x57

oaklander
10-29-2009, 2:23 PM
This is appropriate:

http://i35.tinypic.com/2rnk75h.jpg

:D

Bizcuits
10-29-2009, 2:28 PM
swaits
10-29-2009, 5:02 PM
LyX ftw! (Yes, it's on top of LaTeX)

Tyrius
10-29-2009, 5:25 PM
Why are people licking latex?

Fanning as soon as I get home.

pointedstick
10-29-2009, 7:44 PM
fanned. (became a fan?)

also, go go gadget vi vs. emacs!

dantodd
10-29-2009, 7:52 PM
I never learned emacs. Kept with vi from when I first started with Ultix then SunOS HPUX and then on to Linux (First just source downloads then moved to YGGDrasil distribution in 92)

@7X57 I was a bit surprised at the troff comment because being a math guy I would have just assumed that LaTex was part of your da

Librarian
10-29-2009, 8:03 PM
Wait - you had troff? You techno-nerd, you. How about good ol' roff?

7x57
10-29-2009, 8:07 PM
@7X57 I was a bit surprised at the troff comment because being a math guy I would have just assumed that LaTex was part of your da

Oh, your guess was correct--I was channeling unix greybeards. That was the oldest system I thought anyone would know the name of (or that I know the name of without looking something up). My own actual personal preference back when I needed such things was LaTeX, perhaps with the RevTeX macros.

These days, it's been so long since I needed mathematical typesetting that I can't rightly be said to have a preference, but I'd probably be less lost relearning LaTeX.

Besides, there is no substitute for beautifully typeset mathematics. :thumbsup:

Also, Donald Knuth is pretty much God of software, and it's always a good idea to propitiate deities by using the sacred tools they've blessed. :D I'm not aware of any propitiatory value to troff.

7x57

dantodd
10-29-2009, 8:13 PM
Oh, your guess was correct--I was channeling unix greybeards. That was the oldest system I thought anyone would know the name of (or that I know the name of without looking something up). My own actual personal preference back when I needed such things was LaTeX, perhaps with the RevTeX macros.

These days, it's been so long since I needed mathematical typesetting that I can't rightly be said to have a preference, but I'd probably be less lost relearning LaTeX.

Besides, there is no substitute for beautifully typeset mathematics. :thumbsup:

Also, Donald Knuth is pretty much God of software, and it's always a good idea to propitiate deities by using the sacred tools they've blessed. :D I'm not aware of any propitiatory value to troff.

7x57

Not being a math guy (though also not completely innumerate) I never really had a need for Tex but since I worked in IT services I did have to support some of the math guys using it, though by the time I was dealing with it everyone was mostly on LaTex.

Speaking of software gods, I remember so well when the camel book was released, by this time I doing mostly admin work and not being a programmer was mostly working in C, sh or Bash unlike the hardcore guys who used Z or korn. Perl made my life sooooooooo much easier.

383green
10-29-2009, 8:38 PM
Bah! Humbug! Why, back in my day we had to carve our own type out of wood, and it was a 7 league walk each way through snake-infested snow (uphill both ways, mind you) to get to the printing press. And all we could afford for lunch was a lump of cold poison. And we were thankful! :wheelchair:

7x57
10-29-2009, 9:08 PM
You had a printing press? We had to carve the letters on our own chests with dull bone knives, and then take turns laying on the paper and rolling boulders over each other so the letters would print in blood.

Afterwards, the saber-toothed cats came in packs, attracted to the blood.

7x57

383green
10-29-2009, 9:14 PM
And it was still slightly less painful than using Word.

dantodd
10-29-2009, 9:19 PM
I knife? You piker. We had to knap our own blades just to strip the wires for wiring wrapping our core memory when I was a kid.

dantodd
10-29-2009, 9:21 PM

Remember going through old wordstar documents and fixing all the tags they left open when saving but then errored on when you tried to print or re-open the documents?

oaklander
10-29-2009, 9:27 PM
In all seriousness, I used a DEC PDP-8 when I was in Junior High.

http://www.computerhistory.org/internet_history/full_size_images/pdp-8.jpg

dantodd
10-29-2009, 9:32 PM
In all seriousness, I used a DEC PDP-8 when I was in Junior High.

We had a PDP-11 at school but I never actually got to bootstrap it. I always wanted to learn. We hung the memory boards up in our conference rooms as wall art after it was decommissioned.

DigitalAmmunition
10-30-2009, 12:37 PM
You guys are ALL weak:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/real_programmers.png (http://xkcd.com/378/)

:clown:

7x57
10-30-2009, 12:41 PM
You guys are ALL weak:

To be fair, complaining that we're losing to XKCB is like complaining that the pick-up basketball star at the local park can't be any good because he is losing to Michael Jordan. XKCB is pro.

7x57

7x57
10-30-2009, 12:42 PM

Well, yeah. :D Honestly, we preferred the saber-tooth packs.

7x57

VW*Mike
10-30-2009, 3:54 PM
Joined and sent requests to 20 friends.